New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Prometheus and Alien covenant are all the imaginations of a crazed AI
    Look, (let's not forget the humans all die of incompetence) at the end of Prometheus the dude gets his head severed, and yet he gets it reattached, despite an incredible degree of being untrustworthy, well before covenant begins. Then he later wipes out a civilization with their own weapons, plays god with aliens, suddenly knows kung fu and beats his superior model (scarring himself to fool only the audience) and flies off onto new worlds for his creations.

It's all in david's head.

(I'll be honest, as disappointing as Prometheus was, I was kinda looking forward to the adventures of the survivor and her severed head)

Luke Cage
    Luke's not actually getting stronger like they're all saying, it's just that everyone either puts too much stress on Judas metal or doesn't understand how ammunition works; The bullets diamondback used, which worked, were big game rounds/Anti-material ammunition/overkill against most humans. The bullets everyone else has used are significantly smaller and thus less powerful. These bullets are intermediary rounds for assault rifles; their power, i'd casually guess, is around eight times lower.

LC has never not been wounded by diamondback's large bullets, and never been wounded by the smaller bullets, yet everyone's claiming he got stronger. Conclusion; Everyone in LC is an idiot.

Star wars Sequels
    A large number of planets and corperations were symapthetic to the first order and were well prepared to join the FO as soon as war were declared. In fact, a number of republican senators and other officials must have also been FO in order to cause the decline of the republic from within.

Hyperspace tracking was a myth, they had a traitor, who was probably rose given the impossible -smash-into-finn- moment.

As the rebel remnants fled the land of salt on the milennium falcon, they were all shot by the remnants of the FO fleet still in orbit. The end.

Also Rose Tiko and Admiral Holdo were deliberately lame, they were supposed to radicalize certain audience folks with their bull****. Such self sabotage shouldn't be considered canonical.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2018-10-04 at 07:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Maybe because "rich people crime" isnt as exciting. No one wants to read a comic where batman tracks down lexcorps insider trading scheme. Not many are going to be fascinated by batman uncovering securities fraud by star labs. If someone on par with tony stark wants an artifact, he will buy it. Because he can. Stealing it would be stupid and pointless. Hammer industries, lexcorp, whatever, they all are free to develop whatever psychotic super weapon they want without heroes busting through the roof to arrest them, because when mr freeze builds a cold ray, its a crime. When tony stark builds a cold ray is an extra jump in his stock value.
    Isn't "Batman goes after rich people" pretty much exactly the plot of season 1 of Arrow? Granted, he still beat up/killed a bunch of minimum wage security guards/other people just doing their job, but the end game was to take down a list of the wealthiest people in Star City.
    Last edited by Silver Swift; 2018-10-04 at 12:08 PM.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    Prometheus and Alien covenant are all the imaginations of a crazed AI
    Look, (let's not forget the humans all die of incompetence) at the end of Prometheus the dude gets his head severed, and yet he gets it reattached, despite an incredible degree of being untrustworthy, well before covenant begins. Then he later wipes out a civilization with their own weapons, plays god with aliens, suddenly knows kung fu and beats his superior model (scarring himself to fool only the audience) and flies off onto new worlds for his creations.

It's all in david's head.

(I'll be honest, as disappointing as Prometheus was, I was kinda looking forward to the adventures of the survivor and her severed head)

Luke Cage
    Luke's not actually getting stronger like they're all saying, it's just that everyone either puts too much stress on Judas metal or doesn't understand how ammunition works; The bullets diamondback used, which worked, were big game rounds/Anti-material ammunition/overkill against most humans. The bullets everyone else has used are significantly smaller and thus less powerful. These bullets are intermediary rounds for assault rifles; their power, i'd casually guess, is around eight times lower.

LC has never not been wounded by diamondback's large bullets, and never been wounded by the smaller bullets, yet everyone's claiming he got stronger. Conclusion; Everyone in LC is an idiot.

Star wars Sequels
    A large number of planets and corperations were symapthetic to the first order and were well prepared to join the FO as soon as war were declared. In fact, a number of republican senators and other officials must have also been FO in order to cause the decline of the republic from within.

Hyperspace tracking was a myth, they had a traitor, who was probably rose given the impossible -smash-into-finn- moment.

As the rebel remnants fled the land of salt on the milennium falcon, they were all shot by the remnants of the FO fleet still in orbit. The end.

Also Rose Tiko and Admiral Holdo were deliberately lame, they were supposed to radicalize certain audience folks with their bull****. Such self sabotage shouldn't be considered canonical.
    Well, if we go that way....

Remember when Finn falls into a coma in the end of TFA?

He proceeds to dream - that's what TLJ is showing us: his dreams while in coma.

This is the most reasonable explanation I can find why that story is full of emotion, yet doesn't really add up logically. Just like in a dream. That's also why some stuff works (hyperspace ramming, "force-connecting two people over the whole galaxy without those two knowing what's going on") that never worked for real before.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Well, if we go that way....

Remember when Finn falls into a coma in the end of TFA?

He proceeds to dream - that's what TLJ is showing us: his dreams while in coma.

This is the most reasonable explanation I can find why that story is full of emotion, yet doesn't really add up logically. Just like in a dream. That's also why some stuff works (hyperspace ramming, "force-connecting two people over the whole galaxy without those two knowing what's going on") that never worked for real before.
    The Dallas Ending? Works for me.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Batman does spend time going after rich people, more than most other superheroes. He stopped Lex from buying up land in NML and becoming a slumlord, IIRC.

Honestly, I always felt this argument was like blaming the fire brigade for the existence of fire or a homeless shelter for homelessness.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Star wars Sequels
    There is one thing that in my mind lends credence to this; the double fakeout of the fleet's true target. The only time you tell your troops knowingly false info is if you think there is a spy, but that was never mentioned by any of the characters in the fleet.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    There is one thing that in my mind lends credence to this; the double fakeout of the fleet's true target. The only time you tell your troops knowingly false info is if you think there is a spy, but that was never mentioned by any of the characters in the fleet.
    I recall it being rose who put forth the notion.
    Now I just realised how **** of a move it was.
    Morale was the biggest issue they faced at that time. You wouldnt want to reinforce that the enemy is technologically superior/fleeing is good.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Firbolg in the Playground

Definitely on board with the idea that Rose is a First Order spy
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-10-04 at 07:55 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #789
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

I think Rose needs to be a traitor. Not only does it make sense for the plot (SW Tech doesn't advance, at least for when the plot demands it, so the tracking is nonsense, the finn crash, the part where they actually got back from the crash to the rebels despite the hulking walkers and virtually no cover... plus I think being stationed on the escape pods is a good move for a spy)

But it's also neccessary from a subtext point of view. I heard from someone that on the blue-ray commentary of TLJ, Rose was made purposefully lame, and while I haven't confirmed it myself it seems very believable.
    She's there to make all sorts of activism look bad, it's very deliberate. Let's say that by poorly campaigning for the Resistance she undermines it and strengthens the point of view of the First Order.

She needs to be a FO plant. It's a necessity.

Unfortunately, while that could redeem a lot of TLJ if they did it in the next film, TLJ is still a bad film. It's bad as a film, bad as a Star Wars product, and I think it's bad morally. A film can't be good because context is given in a sequel years later. Similarly, nothing can fix Holdo, Hyperspace ramming, Mas, Snoke, a smart story of the First order rising to power probably having more potential than their -DeathplannetNowWeOwnTheUniverseRepbulicAreGoneLet' sDoGoodGuyUnderdogsAgain-

10. - Top - End - #790

EvilClericGuy

Reminder - -if your headcanon contradicts canon, it is not a headcanon.

While I agree that the First Order had a spy in the fleet, Rose can't be the spy. The Spy had to be on the fleet during the mutiny. Rose doesn't know that there is a secret base that the Resistance is planning to sneak off to. But after that plan is revealed to Poe, the First Order quickly knows about it too.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Reminder - -if your headcanon contradicts canon, it is not a headcanon.

While I agree that the First Order had a spy in the fleet, Rose can't be the spy. The Spy had to be on the fleet during the mutiny. Rose doesn't know that there is a secret base that the Resistance is planning to sneak off to. But after that plan is revealed to Poe, the First Order quickly knows about it too.
    Who needs spies when you have space wizard jedi powers?

Like Luke's in another planet countless light-years away and can use space magic the force to project himself with perfection and pretend to fight a sith with zero lag despite the distance. That also means Luke somehow had to detect where the First Order was and the right moment and place to project himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

12. - Top - End - #792
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm less concerned about the hyperspace tracking than I am about how keen Rose was to prevent that superwweapon from being damaged. That's the thing that makes me think she's up to no good.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm less concerned about the hyperspace tracking than I am about how keen Rose was to prevent that superwweapon from being damaged. That's the thing that makes me think she's up to no good.
    I couldn't figure out why the super-cannon had to be put on the planet and not just fired from orbit myself...

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I couldn't figure out why the super-cannon had to be put on the planet and not just fired from orbit myself...
    The kickback
    (This post meant to be humorous. I haven't watched the movie. Don't @ me)
    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #795
    Colossus in the Playground

For the same reason they had to send AT-ATs down to Hoth's surface in Empire Strikes Back - the base is shielded.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crait_outpost
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-05 at 01:24 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Not to mention her continuous undermining of the actual FO turncoat. Like she was attempting damage control on what he could possible do/info he could reveal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

17. - Top - End - #797

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Who needs spies when you have space wizard jedi powers?

Like Luke's in another planet countless light-years away and can use space magic the force to project himself with perfection and pretend to fight a sith with zero lag despite the distance. That also means Luke somehow had to detect where the First Order was and the right moment and place to project himself.
    Luke appears to Leia first. Force users have been shown to sense were loved ones are across the Galaxy before. Most notable when Luke sensed where Leia was when He was on Swamp Forest, Dagobah and she on Could City, Bespin in Empire Strikes Back.
    Also using that power causes you to become one with the force afterwards, so I don't see Kylo or Snoke using it. Especially since so many dark-side users are afraid of death.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

18. - Top - End - #798

EvilClericGuy

Because they are trying to blow the doors off, not drill a hole into the top of the mountain.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Because they are trying to blow the doors off, not drill a hole into the top of the mountain.
    They are trying to kill everyone, not knock a door down. Collapsing a mountain is an effective way to do that, one that doesn't endanger your army and superweapon.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Maybe this is a better comment for the Historic Arms and Armor thread, but is anyone else bothered by the term, 'battering-ram cannon'? Cannons are already a siege weapon used for breaching. Likening it to a battering ram adds nothing. It's like calling it a cannon-gun.

You can take my canon/cannon puns when you pry them from my no-brained hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #801

BlackDragon

If you are talking about Rose and a Super-weapon, then clearly she is trying to find The Doctor no matter how many universes she has to destroy to make it back :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    If you are talking about Rose and a Super-weapon, then clearly she is trying to find The Doctor no matter how many universes she has to destroy to make it back :-)
    Urgh. You know, I don't like Clara and Twelve's relationship plot much, but at least Clara recognized that the Universe not being destroyed was more important than their "thing".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Maybe this is a better comment for the Historic Arms and Armor thread, but is anyone else bothered by the term, 'battering-ram cannon'? Cannons are already a siege weapon used for breaching. Likening it to a battering ram adds nothing. It's like calling it a cannon-gun.

It makes sense given the context. They've got so many types of cannons, and I'm not really sure how they'd differentiate them given they don't exactly use caliber, watts or whatever we'd use.
    It looks like a battering ram, and that sounds cooler than Immobile cannon.

I sort of resent every time time someone points out something's 'death star tech'. Like death star tech is fun with crystals and SCALE. Technology in star wars is at a plateau, people just make new models of things because the galaxy is capitalist and planned obsolescence is a thing. Occasionally someone will forget something or dig up something old or the economy might change the quality of goods, but it stays the same on the whole.

The only thing I think SW is missing, Tech wise, Is good personal armour. Great stuff might exist in the expanded universe and the cartoons, but the only armours to take weapon hits and keep the person in it unharmed and standing are the praetorian in Ep8 and the breastplate worn by the gunner monk in Rogue one. I'd be hyped to see more knightly lightsaber duels or some Ned-Kelly-with-blasters firefight.

24. - Top - End - #804

EvilClericGuy

That super cannon is miniaturized Death Star tech. Smaller weapon, Smaller Range.
    They are trying to kill everyone, not knock a door down. Collapsing a mountain is an effective way to do that, one that doesn't endanger your army and superweapon.
    Not a superweaon. Battering Ram Cannon.

Collapsing a Mountain from orbit does not guarantee that every Resistance member is dead. Boots on the ground are a must. And since when did the First Order start caring about their army being in danger?

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That super cannon is miniaturized Death Star tech. Smaller weapon, Smaller Range.

Not a superweaon. Battering Ram Cannon.

Collapsing a Mountain from orbit does not guarantee that every Resistance member is dead. Boots on the ground are a must. And since when did the First Order start caring about their army being in danger?
    When they lost 90% of it to a magical ramming manuver? They also can't break in if the cannon is destroyed, so they should have cleared the outer fort before setting it up regardless.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

-The Incredible Hulk and Age of Ultron had Bruce Banner specifically mention he can't sleep with anyone, because the stress and adrenaline will trigger a Hulk transformation.
    -Thor: Ragnarok showed that the Hulk does have reasoning abilities, and isn't just a mindless rageaholic.
    -Avengers: Infinity War showed that the Hulk can choose not to manifest, even if Bruce wants it to take over.

Conclusion: The MCU's Hulk deliberately sabotages Bruce's love life as a defense mechanism. If Bruce is happy with someone he loves/cares about to keep him grounded, he won't be angry all the time, and if he's not angry on a regular basis, Hulk stays locked up more often.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-10-06 at 02:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

What? That's insane. People you love make you the angriest.
    Just ask my wife
    she's dead now.

28. - Top - End - #808

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    -The Incredible Hulk and Age of Ultron had Bruce Banner specifically mention he can't sleep with anyone, because the stress and adrenaline will trigger a Hulk transformation.
    -Thor: Ragnarok showed that the Hulk does have reasoning abilities, and isn't just a mindless rageaholic.
    -Avengers: Infinity War showed that the Hulk can choose not to manifest, even if Bruce wants it to take over.

Conclusion: The MCU's Hulk deliberately sabotages Bruce's love life as a defense mechanism. If Bruce is happy with someone he loves/cares about to keep him grounded, he won't be angry all the time, and if he's not angry on a regular basis, Hulk stays locked up more often.
    I'd like to suggest a variant on this. In one of the Hulk Cartoons from the early 90's, A scientist separates Bruce from the Hulk (each has their own body). Betty Ross is threatened by the villian of the story arc. Hulk goes into a rage to protect her and calls her Betty. This shocks everyone because it was assumed that Hulk doing that in the past was because of Bruce. The reveal is that Hulk has his own mind, and every time the Hulk had protected Betty in the past was because the Hulk loved Betty.

So I suspect in the MCU, the Hulk has his own feelings towards Betty, Natasha, and Valkyrie and that affects how easily Bruce and Hulk revert back and forth.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I now realize the superior pun would have been '... cannon puns when you pry them from my no-brained head.' That is all.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Luke appears to Leia first. Force users have been shown to sense were loved ones are across the Galaxy before. Most notable when Luke sensed where Leia was when He was on Swamp Forest, Dagobah and she on Could City, Bespin in Empire Strikes Back.
    Also using that power causes you to become one with the force afterwards, so I don't see Kylo or Snoke using it. Especially since so many dark-side users are afraid of death.
    The problem being that Palpatine also uses that power, and indicates no willingness to become one with the Force. It's the reason he suddenly takes off from Coruscant and goes to Mustafar: "I sense Lord Vader is in danger", right when he's in the middle of fighting Obi-Wan.