New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

I know it's an anachronism, but I like the idea that the song Birdhouse In Your Soul is about Twitter (Based mainly on two lines: "Blue canary in the outlet" and "It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells")
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    This is the internet. If you think it. It exists
    Is that rule 40-chan?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A minor one, but one of the playble characters in Final Fantasy 6, Setzer, is introduced when he tries kidnap Maria, a famous opera singer, mid-performance. In order to eliminate the squick factor, I stick to my childhood assumption that Setzer and Maria have a tabloid-worthy, on-again-off-again relationship and this is just the sort of flashy publicity stunt she enjoys as much as he does.

4. - Top - End - #964

I tend to stick to the "Anakin survived by accidentally draining Padme through a force link" theory.

5. - Top - End - #965

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    I tend to stick to the "Anakin survived by accidentally draining Padme through a force link" theory.
    .. It.. Would be perfectly in synch with the Dark Side. Where your feeling of loss over someone is more important than that person's well being

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    .. It.. Would be perfectly in synch with the Dark Side. Where your feeling of loss over someone is more important than that person's well being
    It also helps to patch a plot hole in the ending of Episode III. Palpatine sorrowfully tells Anakin that Anakin killed Padme in his rage. But from Palpatine's perspective, Padme was last seen being bundled onto a spaceship and taken off across the galaxy. It would be a hell of a dangerous lie to tell Anakin if there was a real chance of Padme popping up again in a few weeks.

If, on the other hand, Palpatine felt Anakin's force link, and knows that Padme is dead, twisting the knife that way is quite in character.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    A minor one, but one of the playble characters in Final Fantasy 6, Setzer, is introduced when he tries kidnap Maria, a famous opera singer, mid-performance. In order to eliminate the squick factor, I stick to my childhood assumption that Setzer and Maria have a tabloid-worthy, on-again-off-again relationship and this is just the sort of flashy publicity stunt she enjoys as much as he does.
    Based on how quickly Setzer's affections flip to Celes, I always assumed that he was just hoping that a flashy kidnapping would kind of impress her, and his plan, as much as he had one, was to show off a bunch and then drop her off at her home.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Plus their last interaction, he tried to kill her, so there might even be the "You'll never leave me alive." element to it.

9. - Top - End - #969

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    It also helps to patch a plot hole in the ending of Episode III. Palpatine sorrowfully tells Anakin that Anakin killed Padme in his rage. But from Palpatine's perspective, Padme was last seen being bundled onto a spaceship and taken off across the galaxy. It would be a hell of a dangerous lie to tell Anakin if there was a real chance of Padme popping up again in a few weeks.

If, on the other hand, Palpatine felt Anakin's force link, and knows that Padme is dead, twisting the knife that way is quite in character.
    That also gives some justifications to the Jedi don't form attachments rule. Attachments would be very dangerous if a force user reflexively drains their loved ones life energy when seriously wounded.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    That also gives some justifications to the Jedi don't form attachments rule. Attachments would be very dangerous if a force user reflexively drains their loved ones life energy when seriously wounded.
    Even better it would explain why they tend to form attachments with each other. Watch qui gon die and tell me that obiwan wasnt attached to him. Having the force means such a connection wouldnt have that effect. Its like an innate defense against it. But random other people? Its like being a psychic. Normal people have no defense, other psychics do.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Padme's a public figure. Her death would have been announced. Those surgeries probably took weeks.

I always thought the 'no attachments' rule was just 'because people like Sidious can use them as levers.'

12. - Top - End - #972
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

My headcannon is that using any emotion with the Force, be it even love or happiness, will heighten someone's moods and make them unstable. Emotion is the dark side. Jedi actually become more robotic by using the force the way they do, which is why they can be so blind to people. Furthermore, a Force philosophy on positive emotions would be inferior to the Jedi/sith, as they're unlikely to have a wealth of happiness and love when fighting in any pragmatic situation.

Which is part of the reason why I don't the light side of the force getting 'force heal'. Or force heal in general. Maybe 'don't deteriorate/bleed to death/die of poison' but no 'get better'. Perhaps the force can guide you in applying bandages, but it's not going to sow your wounds together. I think there's a reason things like force-heal only appear in games.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Padme's a public figure. Her death would have been announced. Those surgeries probably took weeks.
    Announced by whom? She's on a rebel ship with a pair of Jedi when she dies. The only person there who might have announced it was Bail, and he was going to pretend he wasn't there so that he could raise her kid in secrecy.
    Last edited by Friv; 2019-01-14 at 07:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Colossus in the Playground

Palpy had just recently announced he was god king of the empire, the war was technically over, the jedi order had been wiped out officially as traitors, im pretty sure there were more important things going on than the news of one of 30,000 senators going missing. He probably had a connection to her similar to the one he used to invade anakins dreams. Its even possible HE finished her off. Anakin fell, last thing he needs is someone to love that could pull him back. There was no legit reason for a space faring empire that has magic healing liquid and the ability to turn a charcoal brick into a cyborg warrior to lose padme. There almost HAD to be dark side interference.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #975

Actually, Padme died in a hospital at a place called Polis Massa. And since she got a nice big state funeral on Naboo, there must have been some kind of public announcement.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Even better it would explain why they tend to form attachments with each other. Watch qui gon die and tell me that obiwan wasnt attached to him. Having the force means such a connection wouldnt have that effect. Its like an innate defense against it. But random other people? Its like being a psychic. Normal people have no defense, other psychics do.
    Awesome follow up. I would say in this case, I wouldn't expect any life siphoning with Qui gon, but instead the problem with Annikan and Padme was that they had a bond that he abused, not that all bonds are at risk with life draining.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    My headcannon is that using any emotion with the Force, be it even love or happiness, will heighten someone's moods and make them unstable. Emotion is the dark side. Jedi actually become more robotic by using the force the way they do, which is why they can be so blind to people. Furthermore, a Force philosophy on positive emotions would be inferior to the Jedi/sith, as they're unlikely to have a wealth of happiness and love when fighting in any pragmatic situation.

Which is part of the reason why I don't the light side of the force getting 'force heal'. Or force heal in general. Maybe 'don't deteriorate/bleed to death/die of poison' but no 'get better'. Perhaps the force can guide you in applying bandages, but it's not going to sow your wounds together. I think there's a reason things like force-heal only appear in games.
    I think the only way I would like Force heal is that it optimises natural healing, and maybe allows for any living tissue to be recoverable over a very long time. So a broken spin can heal over a few decades, for example.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

On Padme: Her death was easily blamed on the seperatists. She went there to negotiate their surrender, they killed her. General Anakin Skywalker, Hero of the Republic and Restorer of Peace killed them. Everyone is busy dealing with the new government and the police being executed by it and don't question the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

18. - Top - End - #978
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    That's a pretty good one, I gotta say. And, in a way, it would make KOTOR2 and the link between The Exile and Kreia/Darth Traya an explanation of what happened in RoS.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

My headcanon is that the force draws power from all the headcanon people have about it. FAR outshines the power of all the life and matter in their universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

20. - Top - End - #980

Speaking of Star Wars, what if Rey is the actual chosen one, not Darth Vader. That would explain her mastering the force so well before she even got any training; that sory of thing is part of the reason Qui Gon thought Anakin was the chosen one, and since Anakin didn't exactly work out his status as the chosen one is questionable.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

21. - Top - End - #981
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

In star wars there's apparently always a chosen one and if one is removed another will appear in a few decades.

I imagine a lot of the time they don't actually come up as force users, the force just guides them into being influential.

Rey's super fast acquisition of the force is just hacky directing endemic to the force awakens. JJ hands out the force too easily in general. I think the scene where Kylo catches the blaster bolt in mid air and holds it there without apparent effort really highlights how scaled up his power level is. It's like the magic going from game of thrones level to world of warcraft level.

I guess in retrospect it's kinda good for Rey. I don't like Rey, but I don't hate her. She's appropriate for the context, but it's bad context.

22. - Top - End - #982

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    In star wars there's apparently always a chosen one and if one is removed another will appear in a few decades.
    "For many years, the peoples of the Republic lived in Harmony. Then, everything changed when the First Order attacked. Only the Chosen One, Master of the Force, could stop them, but when the Galaxy needed him most, he Vanished"

23. - Top - End - #983

The Weyland Corp from the Death Race series is the predecessor of Weyland-Yutani from the Aliens franchise.

You can tell because they have the same level of concern for human life vs profits.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The Weyland Corp from the Death Race series is the predecessor of Weyland-Yutani from the Aliens franchise.

You can tell because they have the same level of concern for human life vs profits.
    The standard level? Neither are that out of place when compared to real world corporations. United Fruit, the British East India company, every diamond mine for the past 150 years...
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #985

EvilClericGuy

An unacceptably low amount?
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

26. - Top - End - #986

I imagine a lot of the time they don't actually come up as force users, the force just guides them into being influential.
    Well, if it's the Force that is the real player, and not the chaosen ones, that makes a lot of sense - it's a bit like how Fate works in Erfworld. (the blind dude from Rogue One is perhaps the best example of this, extremely lucky up to a point, then instantly discarded once he served his destined purpose. )

27. - Top - End - #987

EvilClericGuy

After watching Gilmore Girls: A year in the life i noticed something. I don't believe that there were any references to the seventh season of the series.
    For those who didn't watch Gilmore Girls, The writer and producers worked on seasons 1-6 and the revival, but for various reasons did not work on the 7th season.

I suspect that ignoring the events of the seventh season in the revival allows us to pretend that season is not canon.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

have I explained my -almost the best way to justify Predators- Headcannon? There's a lot of pages to sift through.

The predators were in a society much like our own. They advanced, they build wonderful things, and they got everything automated. Perhaps this made them communist, perhaps they became neo-fuedal with corperate leaders. It doesn't matter; Nobody had any jobs, Preds became decadent; Their society was collapsing as a result of it working so well. One reactionary group made the change; The hard lives of their ancestors became a glorious ideal and soft modern comforts had made the predator race weak. To be strong, they had to embrace the tribalism of their ancestors, that they fit into far more comfortably than what the modern world gave them. Before, they judged a man by how much money he had and what repetitive job he did. Now, they judge him as a warrior and a hunter.

"they were like us, and they hated it, this is them returning to nature, with a few high tech twists"

Not saying I agree with it, but It's only going to be more relevant.

I really want to make a movie that's like... "predator 2152" (or whatever year the alien universe comes into play) where this is all explained, and the predator's the underdog because humans are so tech'd up and unsportsmanlike. It'd roll really well with the zeitgeist of our time.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post

Common knowledge about diet is completely wrong because it's most profitable to do it this way.

Sugar is the devil and Salt is good for you. Fat is completely fine.
    Yet most people think sugar is bad but Salt and fat are worse...
    (sugar is addictive and makes you eat more, your body craves salt anyway, and fat increases satiety so you eat less... we literally believe in the most profitable setup)
    Plus Doctors and pharmacists make a lot of money out of the health issues that come from obesity and low salt diets. Plus you get places like slimming world (a cult) and other fad diet companies benefiting from this cycle.

Literally any food or pharmaceutical company big enough to matter is in on it. In Alien, a world where corperations have gone too far Weyland corp have done nothing wrong.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-17 at 07:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990

BlackDragon

That head cannons are a thing.

(note the spelling)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.