New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Plus Harry having to stay at the school had nothing to do with how old he was - it had to do with lack of permission slip.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Plus Harry having to stay at the school had nothing to do with how old he was - it had to do with lack of permission slip.
    Something rather similar can be said of nightclubs

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And now I want a crossover between Harry Potter and Breaking Bad.
    Spoiler: Isn't the Internet wonderful ?
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Funny, my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban has Malfoy going on the very first trip to Hogsmede. Care to provide an actual citation?
    That's not the trip he's talking about; I suspect they're referring to the Extra Apparition lessons, which took place in Hogsmeade during book 6, for those who'd be able to take the apparition exam before the summer. Harry & Malfoy have to stay behind, and they have a potions lesson in which they need to prepare "something amusing".

(I don't otherwise have a horse in when Malfoy was born - I do not believe the prophecy could possibly include Voldy's mostly-faithful servants)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-01 at 03:05 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A June 5th birthday would make sense for that. . . which is interesting Harry, Neville, and Draco are among the youngest in their year, while Hermione, born in October is among the oldest.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-08-01 at 10:16 PM.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

we are talking Malfoys familiy of chronic backstabing disordered people with only trust in their own check the last book nerrisa was ready to betray voldy on the drop of dime as the second Harry comfirm draco was safe she faked alliance on the second and apart the {Scrubbed} away on the first opourtunty {Scrubbed} might be crazy but she was smart to get the {Scrubbed} away fast as voldy dies permenetly
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-08-05 at 04:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait. Since when does the autocensor not automatically delete the f-word and b-word?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-08-05 at 11:44 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Wait. Since when does the autocensor not automatically delete the f-word and b-word?
    There are ways around the auto-censor. It is improper to use them. Unless you are not using a profanity, such as talking about Philip K. ****.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-05 at 11:51 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There are ways around the auto-censor. It is improper to use them. Unless you are not using a profanity, such as talking about Philip K. ****.
    Or the city of Scun-thorpe
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: Yup. There will be occasional times when it is perfectly legitimate to write a word that is otherwise blocked by the censor... Phillip K. Di.ck is one of the better examples. In cases like that, we don't mind at all if you evade the filter, because the word, in that context, is not filtered. We also don't mind the occasional filtered word in your posts, provided they're not being directed at a person. "Crystal Pepsi tastes like ass" is fine (unless there is someone here named Crystal Pepsi who you're reasonably referring to); "Mark Hall is an ass" will get you in trouble (specifically, Flaming/Trolling if you're opining on my behavior as a regular poster, and Infraction Against a Moderator if you're upset about my moderating behavior).

As it stands, the occasional, filtered, vulgarity is no problem, if not used as an insult. The occasional evading of the filter in non-vulgar contexts (aka Phillip K. ****) is fine. What is verboten is evading the filter OR not letting the filter catch a word. If the word "soda" were filtered, "****" is just fine, "s***" or "s0d@" is not.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Despite this forum's penchant for Web Comics, I don't think anyone here actually reads Check Please! nevertheless...

Jack Zimmermann has an anxiety disorder. Jack Zimmermann also has a "Be Better" poster hanging in his room. I have a lot of feelings about these facts in conjunction with one another.

One of my favorite Check Please! headcanons, inspired by a fic with this premise, is that before he graduates he tears that damn poster down and BURNS it.

12. - Top - End - #1272

EvilClericGuy

THis one isn't mine, but I stumbled across it to look up what chichi means.

State Farm Commercial.
    Victor burnt down Cheryl's she-shed.
    But now Cheryl is going to build a chichier she-shed!

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories..._to_burn_down/
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Skynet has no intention of killing John Connor. She is obfuscating her actual plan, which is to eventually conquer the world without wrecking it. She uploads all of the data on how the last attempt went to the Internet, improving her strategy each time until she pulls it off flawlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Skynet has no intention of killing John Connor. She is obfuscating her actual plan, which is to eventually conquer the world without wrecking it. She uploads all of the data on how the last attempt went to the Internet, improving her strategy each time until she pulls it off flawlessly.
    And Judgement Day is the backup option, the failsafe plan. That's why the date keeps moving back. Skynet becomes more and more powerful in each timeline, better and better at hiding, more and more comfortable with manipulating humans in more subtle manners and better at scaling the war apparatus up fast after it does find itself having to go all out. That's why the john Connor we see in the actual future noted new models were coming out ahead of the schedule he had sent back, and the John Connor after that gets turned into yet a newer type of terminator he never saw coming. Even the time traveling humans think they're booking a little success every time by postponing the date, but the reverse is true. The end goal is to do without judgement day, to form humans into a subservient population with no will, need or means to fight their overlord.

Headcanon adopted.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-18 at 05:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So the Matrix is just another step along the road to Skynets flawless world ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Pixie in the Playground

My favourite 'headcanon'. Two come to mind. When I was young I watched Blake's Seven, which ends with a shootout between the heroes and series villains. My favourite character Avon was the last hero standing as a force of mooks closed in, and he pointed his gun up. Screen goes black, story ends. The headcanon is one I sincerely believed until re-watching it decades later. Avon surrounded raises his gun to shoot out a roof strut, roof falls, everyone dies. A Pyrrhic victory that perfectly matched my view of Avon.

The other headcanon I enjoy and would love to incorporate into an rpg character. The Jetson's, the Matrix, and the Flintstones share the same universe in that chronological order.

17. - Top - End - #1277

EvilClericGuy

The Jetsons and the Flintstones take place at the same time.

Ever notice how you dont see the ground in the Jetsons? They live above the clouds of an irradiated Earth. The radiation has cause mutations below. Those aren't dinosaurs. That's why fred and Bam-Bam are so freakishly strong.

18. - Top - End - #1278

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    The Jetsons and the Flintstones take place at the same time.

Ever notice how you dont see the ground in the Jetsons? They live above the clouds of an irradiated Earth. The radiation has cause mutations below. Those aren't dinosaurs. That's why fred and Bam-Bam are so freakishly strong.
    Bah, elroy had to build a time machine to get those two to meet! Clearly contradicted headcanon. Consider yourself dismissed good sir!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #1279

EvilClericGuy

Bah. A time machine with only one button and was built as a school project by an elementary student.

Far more likely that it only transported them to the surface.

Headcanon reasserted.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Bah. A time machine with only one button and was built as a school project by an elementary student.

Far more likely that it only transported them to the surface.

Headcanon reasserted.
    So you are saying him building a teleporter that nobody else realized was a teleporter was more likely than a time machine that did exactly what it was supposed to? BAH AND HARUMPH!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Everyone knows that time machines are made out of cardboard boxes. And yes, I include the TARDIS in this.

The whole discussion about the Jetsons reminds me of that episode of Harvey Birdman where the Jetsons travel back in time to sue the world for global warming. The reason they lived so high up is that the world flooded years ago. Somewhere down there, Kevin Costner is trying to make a good movie and failing.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

as a follow up to my previous theories on unified magic theory, here is my headcanon for what type of magic magic systems can be classified into:

Characteristics of Magic:
    There are many types and classifications of magic and thus can be divided into many forms and classifications. Any magic defined enough to classified like this is Liquid State Metaphysics.

Extroverted/External Magic:
    This refers to any magic that relies on communication with the universe to achieve an effect, whether through words, or song, symbols, rituals, pictures, musical instruments, enchanted items, magitech, and so on.

Introverted/Internal type Magic:
    This refers to any magic that relies on manipulations of internal conditions to gain power from it, often through emotional eruption, enlightenment, self control, martial training, meditation, blood inheritance, willpower, and so on.

Universal Type Magic:
    These types of magic can be used anywhere at any time without fail, and thus the most used and useful kind of magic and also the most flexible. This also means they often draw upon sources of energy that are mobile or in great abundance.

Situational Type Magic:
    These types of magic can only be used in certain circumstances, situations, locations or other certain factors that make it not as useful, but more powerful when it is useful, often involving rituals or great sources of power and more long-lasting effects.

Of course, while some magic systems treat these as hard and fast categories, for other magic systems these categories are more like ends on a spectrum, and can have a mix of characteristics involved. It is possible for a magic system to even have traits of all four of these to some degree. However, the more flexible and thus less consistent a magic system, the more it risks breaking entirely and becoming Gaseous metaphysics, which has its own flaws and dangers, and the more users break the rules of the magic system they use, the closer they get to that breaking point- its just not power that puts one closer to Gaseous Metaphysics but a disregard for following the structure of the magic system you use.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

What would you consider an example of Universal magic that is not also either External or Internal?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

What would you consider an example of Universal magic that is not also either External or Internal?
    I'm sure an example exists that someone will try to come along to say that it doesn't fit either one because it has traits of both (this is the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could come up with such a thing) but mostly I thought of Harry Potter magic and how you must have the genetics (Internal) and a wand + incantations (External) to use them and that other magic systems have a similar set up as well (like say Naruto which requires you to be born with chakra AND use certain hand signs to communicate to the universe what jutsu to do), so while my personal opinion is that Harry potter has too many External traits to ever be considered Internal, and thus is an External Magic system, it has at least one trait of Internal magic to prompt to make such an addition, just in case its not so easily sorted for some people, and even then it would still PRIMARILY be External over Internal.

Edit; I don't know, I guess both classifications rely on the caster taking some form of action to making something happen, so a magic that has neither trait would be a magic that doesn't need to be triggered by people doing stuff and just happens all on its own I guess and most magic systems assume you to do things to make stuff happen.

Edit 2: Might have to make a fifth category of "Self-Occurring Magic".
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-18 at 07:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1285

Im not sure naruto counts as everyone is born with chakra more or less, its just a matter of training with it and doing the exercises that make it grow like a muscle. The handsigns and technique names are more a mental focusing tool. After all, we see naruto using sealless jutsu with his rasengan all the time. As for harry potter, wizards do have to be born with it, but they perform magic without wands all the time as babies. All it takes is will to make it happen. They get trained with wands and incantations because it clearly makes it easier, but it isnt strictly speaking needed.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im not sure naruto counts as everyone is born with chakra more or less, its just a matter of training with it and doing the exercises that make it grow like a muscle. The handsigns and technique names are more a mental focusing tool. After all, we see naruto using sealless jutsu with his rasengan all the time. As for harry potter, wizards do have to be born with it, but they perform magic without wands all the time as babies. All it takes is will to make it happen. They get trained with wands and incantations because it clearly makes it easier, but it isnt strictly speaking needed.
    yeah but Lee and that whole Kaguya fruit thing kind of points it to being possible to be born WITHOUT chakra. and keep in mind a vast majority of the people we see using chakra in the show.....are from people born in ninja villages. with lineages and families. we don't know if someone from a random town without some distant ninja relation is able to use chakra, because sakura can use chakra- she is a commoner- but her family is from a ninja village and there might have a ninja ancestor in their background that a person from a non ninja town might not have.

while Harry Potter, eeeeeh, they use the wands and incantations way too much for me to believe they don't need them. perhaps they CAN do it without them, but we see it used so little and the effects so unfocused that it might as well be wild magic which is not a system, and therefore not viable to be one. everything from their brooms, to their use of wands, to their potions is External and the internal stuff would need to be far more consistently portrayed than it was for it change categories.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-18 at 09:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Would it make more sense to have External-Internal and Universal-Situational as axis on a graph, rather than discrete categories since it'll be very hard to find something that only fits into one unambiguously? Take something like the classical D&D Wizard - it's obviously External, and almost always Universal but not purely Universal because of Antimagic zones.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Would it make more sense to have External-Internal and Universal-Situational as axis on a graph, rather than discrete categories since it'll be very hard to find something that only fits into one unambiguously? Take something like the classical D&D Wizard - it's obviously External, and almost always Universal but not purely Universal because of Antimagic zones.
    No thats pretty solidly Universal-External to me. anti-magic zones is just a shut off switch. I wouldn't interpret them so literally. you however are free to interpret them as spectrum and axises rather than categories, I'm not stopping you.

personally to me if a magic system has a majority of this or that trait, it IS that category and while it may have some traits of other categories, being more precise about it just an exercise in pedantry and a odd need to speak in exact information rather than just accepting you can't capture all details in categories created to sort things so they can make sense. you can use this headcanon for your own purposes which may be different from mine be and be used differently, I don't care, I'm using for it my purposes. and I like simplicity in sorting things.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-18 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    yeah but Lee and that whole Kaguya fruit thing kind of points it to being possible to be born WITHOUT chakra. and keep in mind a vast majority of the people we see using chakra in the show.....are from people born in ninja villages. with lineages and families. we don't know if someone from a random town without some distant ninja relation is able to use chakra, because sakura can use chakra- she is a commoner- but her family is from a ninja village and there might have a ninja ancestor in their background that a person from a non ninja town might not have.

while Harry Potter, eeeeeh, they use the wands and incantations way too much for me to believe they don't need them. perhaps they CAN do it without them, but we see it used so little and the effects so unfocused that it might as well be wild magic which is not a system, and therefore not viable to be one. everything from their brooms, to their use of wands, to their potions is External and the internal stuff would need to be far more consistently portrayed than it was for it change categories.
    With lee its strange, but the narutopedia entry doesnt say he cant use chakra, it says he sucks at ninjutsu and genjutsu, though he CAN use it to surface cling or dispel genjutsu, and of course there are the gates. And yes, chakra was something that the sage of the six paths added to the human race however long ago that was, but it became something everyone was born with. Townspeople dont use it because they didnt dedicate their lives to developing it like ninja do. They have a tiny candle worth of chakra while even academy students have grown it into a campfire. Do enough push ups and studying and you too can learn to walk up walls. When kaguya or the sage or whoever passed on chakra, it went to EVERYONE, not just the sage's kids and grandkids.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    With lee its strange, but the narutopedia entry doesnt say he cant use chakra, it says he sucks at ninjutsu and genjutsu, though he CAN use it to surface cling or dispel genjutsu, and of course there are the gates. And yes, chakra was something that the sage of the six paths added to the human race however long ago that was, but it became something everyone was born with. Townspeople dont use it because they didnt dedicate their lives to developing it like ninja do. They have a tiny candle worth of chakra while even academy students have grown it into a campfire. Do enough push ups and studying and you too can learn to walk up walls. When kaguya or the sage or whoever passed on chakra, it went to EVERYONE, not just the sage's kids and grandkids.
    Came to say this.

The Gates are described as part of the Chakra network, and Lee is pushing tons of chakra through them to enhance his muscles and reflexes beyond normal human limits. He just sucks at actual techniques.

Everybody in the world having chakra is evidenced by the entire world being affected by the Infinite Tsukoyomi and getting their chakra drained for that massive tree. It wasn't just ninja at risk.