New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [d20 Dune] Voice from the Outer World

The House Shield Generator

As Johnny talks to the technicians and guards about the traps he found in the control room, Freya searches the secret door in the other room for traps. Daniel stands in the open doorway between the rooms to watch the mentat and the knave, ready for action if needed.

Juladia moves over next to Johnny, ready to assist if he asks, as she also places her mask on.

Everyone but the guard captain and the lead technician are commanded to leave the room; which they gladly do immediately. Those two affix breathing masks as well. Captain Borvis returns to the entrance door while Tevas remains near the main control panel.

Johnny crawls back under the main control panel, squeezing into the cramped confines. Taking out his master tools he begins the process of disarming the traps. After several tense moments of nerve wracking and delicate work, the knave manages to disable all the connections that would set off the traps. As far as he knows, no signal was sent through any of the wires.

Meanwhile, Freya is convinced that there are no traps on the secret door, or anywhere nearby in the tunnel below.

Once Johnny announces his success, Tevas says, “Excellent! I am now ready to test the shields. Unless there is more you wish to inspect, I will do so now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

"If there's node access down here, give us a moment to check them out as well," Daniel calls back. "I just want to make sure the endpoints aren't rigged to blow in case all of their other traps are disabled."

He squeezes Freya with a murmured apology, and begins pacing down the tunnel while keeping an eye out for any traps potentially rigged on the floor in front os him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like taking a 20 probably isn't appropriate considering I'm trying to do this quickly, so I'm just going to roll and hope for the best.

Search: (1d20+1)[3]
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Johnny wiped sweat from his brow while still under the console where nobody could see (though the Sister could probably tell how much stress he was under), then clambered back out into the open and removed his filter mask. He took a deep breath of relatively fresh air and tried to re-center himself, using the techniques he'd learned at the orphanage.

Nodding as Daniel called back down the corridor, he said to the Captain, "It's a good idea to wait until they've checked that out, sir. The sophistication of the traps here tells me there are certainly more in the system if nothing else."

4. - Top - End - #94

Seeing the sheer number of different nodes splayed out before him, Daniel curses under his breath, and then turns around. "Juladia, Freya," he calls. "There's gotta be at least 30 of the shield nodes down here. Do you think it's worth the time to check them all, or should we just focus on anything that might be connected to what Johnny found?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #95

NecromancerGirl

Freya sighs softly and begins examining the wiring. With idle curiousity and checking for traps. Where the wires spread out to all the nodes would be a fair place to put a trap, take out many nodes at once upon activation.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Search 28, sorry it's so short but I really can't think of much to say at the moment.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Captain Borvis shrugs and nods to Tevas. The technician sighs heavily in frustration and replies with a dismissive wave of one hand, “Fine, but please be as quick as possible. I understand that this has priority over everything else right now, but as I’ve said, there are many more things that require my personal attention and skills.” He turns back to the control panel and starts doing some adjustments in preparation.

Julaida takes off her mask, showing confidence in the work of Johnny as he says, “Nicely done Johnny,” then turns to the chief technician and adds, “Tevas, it will take hours to check all the nodes, the rooms they are in, and the connections between. I agree with Daniel that you should wait until we have checked them all before starting the shields. If you can, and desire to, go start on those other asks. We will contact you when we finish this.

Tevas looks at the Bene Gesserit with a bit of shock and dismay, but sighs in resignation as he replies respectfully, “No sister, I’m sorry for my impatience. I’ll stay until you’re finished, I might be of some help in your task. Though I’m responsible for getting these shields up, and as fast as possible, you lot have been put in authority over when that happens. I must therefore defer to your judgment, as frustrating as it might be to me at times.

Juladia has been using her Truthsaying powers on Tevas as he speaks. She gives Johnny a subtle nod and a flick of a finger to confirm the truth of his words. “Very well Tevas, thank you. Would you trace of the wiring Johnny found under the control panel trap into the conduit room? That would be most helpful. If they are connected to node control wiring, those nodes are the first we should search.

Tevas nods, “Indeed.” He pulls out a small meter and starts to trace the wires. After a few moments he concludes, “Two of the wires lead to nodes in room #17. The other one seems to lead somewhere not connected to our shield network. That wire should be easy to find in the conduits and follow in the access tunnels, since it is bright red with white spiral stripes.

Juladia nods once at the technician, “Thank you Tevas.” She turns to the others, “I believe we should all go check out the node room #17 and try to disarm and remove any explosives or other traps found there. Then we should find out where this third wire leads. Also, I think we should now report what we have found so far to Aidan.

Show
    Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

7. - Top - End - #97

Johnny nodded deferentially to Juladia's plan and said, "Yes Sister, that sounds like an excellent plan. I'll start with Node Room #17, though that other wire sounds like it will lead to something more interesting and dangerous."

8. - Top - End - #98

NecromancerGirl

Freya nods along. "I agree, that's probably the best course of action. Perhaps,since we know there is at least 1 gass trap, we should advice him to have his Kent where bass masks of possible." Frets sighed softly to herself, and proceeds.

Show

Sorry for the shortness. I just couldn't think of much to say.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Juladia carefully stores the gas ampule in her little safety box.

The group cautiously makes their way to node room #17. Checking for traps along the way slows them down considerably, but the delay is judged worthy. They do find one trip wire, which is easily avoided. Once they reach the room a quick search reveals the explosives set on each node.

Show
    You can do a disarm device on the trip wire if you want. Demolitions check is needed to remove the explosives, though at this point they are already disarmed.

Once finished there they have to retrace their steps to the main junction to follow the third wire. This is not easy, but accomplished with occasional pauses to find the correct wire, which stands out from the others in design and color. Eventually they see that it leads underground outside the main wall. But at this point there is no tunnel to follow. However, a careful search (take 20) reveals a secret tunnel. Based on the overall map they have, they deduct that it leads to a water filtration facility just outside the palace.

Juladia says, "So do you think we should go through this way and see where the secret tunnel exits inside the water filtration facility? I think we should go back and let Tevas start the shields now. Then we go to the command center and report to Aidan. He may want us to go check out the water filtration facility, whether through he secret tunnel or around the outside. Or he may have something else more important for us to do right now. Opinions anyone, or any projections mentat? "

Show
    Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

10. - Top - End - #100

"Sister, I think we should tell the Guard Captain and have at least a couple squads of troops backing us when we check out this secret tunnel. My money is on there being a platoon or more of Harkonnens in there," Johnny said firmly.

11. - Top - End - #101

NecromancerGirl

Feet stops and attempts to d8seem the tripwire. "it's only a matter of time before someone trips over this. Best cut the head off the snake before someone treads on it." [nat1, 10].

Show
    so really can't respond much considering I have no clue what will happen and that may change half of what Jules is does and did after it.
    Last edited by Mai; 2017-03-30 at 07:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

"Good idea... let me take a crack at it," Johnny said, pulling out his tool kit.

Spoiler: Taking 10
    Show
    +13 yields a 23 to safely disarm the tripwire. A successful Aid Another will boost it to 25, and Johnny wouldn't be at all opposed to a helping hand...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

The tripwire trap is removed, the nodes are secured, and now the explosives can be removed. Need demolitions check: Daniel and Freya both have has trained in the skill. But you can take 10 and aid another, which more than sufficient to do the job.

Once they are back at the secret door that leads to the water filtration facility, Juladia activates her comlink, tuned to Aidan’s, “Sir, we have disabled several more traps and explosives. I believe it is now safe to activate the shields. We have also found a secret tunnel that leads to a nearby water filtration facility, we are standing at the entrance to that tunnle now. We believe there may be Harkonnen troops or operatives there. What are your orders?

Aidan is heard to reply, “Tevas, start the shields. If all goes well then you are released to continue your tasks in order. Captain Borvis, you and a few guards are to secure that secret tunnel at the entry door and I will send reinforcements to you. I will also send troops outside, to await the signal from the operatives. The troops will enter from outside while you four enter through the secret door, thus invading that water filtration facility simultaneously. Signal me when you are in position and ready.

Upon hearing the words directed at him, Tevas switches on the shields. Nothing in the generator room or the monitoring room explodes. A loud, bass hum is heard throughout the entire building complex as energy flows through the cabling to the nodes. Tevas reports, "The house shields are now fully engaged and operating to protect the entire complex."

Juladia acknowledges the orders and turns to her companions, “So, once again we are sent into the most dangerous scenario.” She checks her weapons and shrugs as she turns on her shield, “I am ready.

Show
    Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-04-01 at 09:58 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

14. - Top - End - #104

Drawing his slug thrower, Johnny nods his readiness to Juladia.

15. - Top - End - #105

NecromancerGirl

Freta sighs, a bit embarrassed by her failure but let's Johnny have a crack at it. She'd been having some bad luck recently. That said, it was bound to improve. She listened intently and nodded. Of course. "Of course, I am up for it."

16. - Top - End - #106

Seeing that the device is relatively simple, Daniel breezes through disarming it without too much concern.

When the time comes to clear the secret room, he makes sure to turn on his Holtzman shield and unsling his sword before he gets into combat this time. "I'm ready whenever the rest of you are."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Water Filtration Facility

The group signals Aidan just as they are ready to enter. The characters hear a commotion just as they open the secret door. They see that this is a large building with four large filtration vats in the west end, pumps in the middle, a control panel in the northeast corner, a large storage tank for clean water in the southeast corner, and tubing hanging from the ceiling. There is a small living space set off to the south side of the room. There are twelve men dressed in local garb visible inside.

The front doors blow open and Atreides troops enter just as the characters open the secret door in the back of the building. The Harkonnens are surprised by the characters, only aware of the Atreides troops entering the front. The Atreides troops, all with shields on, move into defensive positions in a phalanx to prevent anyone inside from escaping. With the characters entering unseen through the secret door in the back, the Harkonnens are surrounded with no chance of escape.

Another man (H7) exits the living quarters, armed with a pistol and a sword, turns on his shield, and begins giving commands in Harkonnen battle code. Six of the men seem fearful and run for cover in this living space, one of which is cut down by the Harkonnen commander with his sword. The others (H1-6) seem unaware of the characters, turn on their shields, and all move to engage the Atreides troops.

Show
    So you guys get a surprise round before anybody can do much. Also roll initiative.

Everyone who has one is now shielded.

Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2

Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-04-01 at 11:26 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

18. - Top - End - #108

When Daniel opened the door, Johnny ducked left to take up a firing position behind a vat [C4] and started emptying his weapon into the nearest Harkonnen [H7].

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    First, initiative: (1d20+3)[8]
    Surprise Round To Hit: (1d20+9)[21]
    Surprise Round Damage: (2d8)[10] (plus 2 WP possibly)
    Frist Regular Round To Hit: (1d20+9)[15]
    First Regular Round Damage: (2d8)[7] (plus 2 WP possibly)

19. - Top - End - #109

NecromancerGirl

Freya heads through the door and moves to [E6] and fires her muala pistol at [H7]

Show

(1d20+2)[11]
    Initiative

(1d20+2)[9]
    Attack roll

(I'm not sure how he has a +9, maybe a bonus from surprise rounds and a good bab? Any2at with my puny to-hit I really can't afford to pay for a range increment. If there are any bonuses or penaties I am unaware of, sorry. I guess they can be added after the roll? O.O)

20. - Top - End - #110

Daniel kicks open the door and immediately rushes the man with his back to them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to F6 and attack.
    (1d20+8)[17]
    (2d6+7)[14]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Water Filtration Facility
    Surprise Rd

Daniel kicks open the door and draws his sword as he moves in (to F6) and attacks the man who seems to be giving orders. His blade penetrates the shield of the surprised leader, but the Holtzman field activates to slow the attack to reduce the potential damage (DR 10 = 4 VP).

Juladia moves in (to C5), nudging the door closed with her foot. While aware that there is virtually no chance of penetrating the shields of the enemy with a missile weapon, and little chance of doing so with a melee weapon, she draws her punching dagger and maula pistol. But she also knows each shield can only defend against so many attacks before running out of energy, so she fires anyway. The projectile slams into the shield, which flashes at he the Holtzman field activates to stop it from causing any harm (DR 15).

Freya moves in behind and a step to the side of Daniel (put you in E5 so you have an angle to fire on the man without Daniel giving him cover, still -4 for firing into melee) and fires her pistol. Though he was unaware of the attack, his armor and shield prevent the shot from hitting.

Johnny steps in and seeks some cover (to C4) then fires his pistol at the Harkonnen commander (-4 for firing into melee, still hits). The projectile slams into the shield, which flashes at he the Holtzman field activates to stop it from causing any harm (DR 15).

Show

Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-04-05 at 07:37 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

22. - Top - End - #112

Moving around to the other side of the vat [F3] to get a clear shot at his target, Johnny called, "Daniel, back up so I can get a clear shot!"

Spoiler: Tactics
    Show
    Since it's now the beginning of the first regular round, Daniel can attack the Harkonnen (H7), then take a five foot step back to not "be in melee". I think that'll be enough to get a hit since all we're trying to do at the moment is deplete his shield and keep him too busy to give sensible orders.
    I already rolled for the first regular round in my last post... did you want me roll again, Gryndel?

23. - Top - End - #113

"There's only one of him," Daniel yells back, slashing at the officer again. "Go help the rest of the troops."

Still, whether or not his attack lands, Daniel does slink back a step to give Johnny a better firing line.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+8)[16]
    (2d6+7)[15]
    5-foot step to E6

I have a quote!
    I like you.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    I already rolled for the first regular round in my last post... did you want me roll again, Gryndel?
    We'll use the rolls already posted for this round.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    "There's only one of him," Daniel yells back, slashing at the officer again. "Go help the rest of the troops."

Still, whether or not his attack lands, Daniel does slink back a step to give Johnny a better firing line.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: [roll0]
    [roll1]
    5-foot step to E6
    Daniel already went on Rd 1, so you can save this for next round if you want. The Harkonnens go last, so if their actions cause you to change your action you can roll again, otherwise we'll just keep these rolls for rd 2 if you use that type of attack.

We just need Freya to post to finish up rd 1.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-04-03 at 11:27 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

26. - Top - End - #116

NecromancerGirl

Show
    Sorry! DX sorry for making you guys wait. Truly.

Moving to G5 and using a punching dagger (because aparently the firing into some o me who're melee-ing is awful.

(1d20+1)[6]
    Attack roll

(1d4+2)[6]
    Damage (1 from masterwork 1 are mod.)

Freya sighs and moves up in an attempt to stab him instead, oh the joys of shields. At the troops seem to be dealing with the bulk of the harkonnens, who hadn't seemed to find them, or were too busy to care.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Rd 1

The Atreides troops, with shields on, move in to engage the closest Harkonnens in melee, who turn to face them in battle. Some of them remain in the doorway to block escape. Now that they know for certain that the Harkonnens are using active shields, one of the Atreides (A9) barks out a command in battle language, “Use slow blade attacks!” Deeply disciplined, the troopers obey instinctively.
    They begin to battle their enemies, causing some minor wounds.

Daniel swings his sword at the Harkonnen leader, penetrating the activated shield enough to cause a minor wound (15 dmg = auto, DR 10 = 5 VP). He then backs up a step (to E6) to give Johnny a clear shot.

Juladia moves south and east along the wall (to E9) toward where she saw half a dozen men run in fear. She fires again at he leader, but now aware of her the man dodges aside, causing the shot to miss entirely.

Freya moves forward (to F5, if you move to F6 he gets an AoO for moving thru F5) and attacks with her dagger. Unfortunately, she misses.

Johnny moves (to F3) and fires his pistol at the Harkonnen leader. The slug ricochets off the shield, failing to penetrate it, or even activate the defensive field (miss).

Once they see how many Atreides troops are entering, the Harkonnens are prepared to withdraw and try to escape, only to hear from their commander that there is also a small group entering from the secret door in the back. Now realizing they are trapped, they begin to fight fiercely. The Harkonnen commander bellows an order in their battle language, the result of which is that the enemy troopers also begin using slow blade attacks against anyone using a Holtzman shield. Just one of the Atreides troopers is harmed, and only with a minor wound.

One of the Harkonnens (H1) moves along the wall (to G2) and into a position to engage Johnny. He swings his sword and penetrates the shield, but the Holtzman field slows the blade so much it causes no harm (DR 10 = no dmg).

Another one (H6) moves toward the south (to F9) and engages Juladia, attacking with his sword. But the blade fails to connect with the shielded sister.

The leader steps back from Freya (2m to H5) then fires his stunner pistol at her. Though designed specifically to penetrate the Holtzman shield, his aim is off and he misses his mark.

Freya catches a glimpse from the corner of her eye of a hooded man who emerges, with incredible stealth, from the living quarters (to G9), a milky white curved dagger held in one hand. He creeps up behind the Harkonnen who is fighting Juladia (H6) and slowly reaches through the shield with his other hand to deactivate it. He then suddenly and expertly stabs the blade deeply and up into the back of the neck just below the skull, dropping the hapless soldier to the floor.

Juladia only then sees the man. She catches a glimpse of his blue within blue eyes and dark skin under his hood, indicating that he is a Fremen. He grabs a rag from his pocket and places it over the wound to absorb the blood and staunch the flow. He glances at her and says something softly in an obscure language that Juladia recognizes but doesn’t understand, grins fiercely at her, then begins to drag the body off into the sleeping quarters (his turn’s over so can’t move again, but the intention is clear).

In Atreides battle language Juladia calls out above the din of battle, “We were just aided by a Fremen, who killed one of the Harkonnens and is dragging his corpse into the living quarters. I am going to follow and talk to him. Yell out if any of you need help, as will I.

Show
    Initiative
    Atreides 19
    Daniel 16
    Juladia 13
    Freya 11
    Johnny 8
    Harkonnens 3

Damage (VP unless noted)
    Daniel 2 (SH 1)
    Johnny (SH 1)
    A1 4
    H2 (SH 1)
    H3 6 (SH 1)
    H4 5 (SH 1)
    H5 7 WP
    H6 DEAD
    H7 9 (SH 4)

Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-04-05 at 08:13 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

28. - Top - End - #118

Johnny backs up from the Harkonnen (5' step to E2) and fires his pistol.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (2d8)[11]

29. - Top - End - #119

NecromancerGirl

Freya sees the Freeman and has an internal debate as Juladia goes after him. The battle is still going on. If they leave who will guard them from escaping? Yet there were many Atteides forces currently there. Which then, was the best course? Her mentat capabilities only worked with information, and thus information was valuable. But to leave her comrades? Yet the freemen had so easily taken the harkonnen. And that showed skill. Could then, these men make allies? Who could say. She needed more information. And this was a potential source. With great reluctance, she moves to follow them, looking back apologetically.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Mai; 2017-04-07 at 10:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Once the firing lines are clear, Daniel wades back into melee and hacks away at the officer, trusting more to raw strength than finesse at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daniel moves from E6 to H6, and then attacks the Harkonnen again. Unfortunately, no Slow Blade feat for me, but I am going to use Power Attack this turn.

(1d20+7)[27]
    (2d6+8)[15] +2 WP

I have a quote!
    I like you.