New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Spoiler: S1E17 - From the Confidential Casefiles of Agent 22
    Show
    So, interesting that Darkwing Duck is 'just a TV show,' but S.H.U.S.H and F.O.W.L are both real things, apparently.

This does seem to lend some strength to digiman619's theory.

Also, nice Ludwig Von Drake cameo. Interesting they did not use J. Gander Hooter as the director of S.H.U.S.H instead.

Oh, and I loved the Gummi Bear references. The berries, the juice, the sound effect that the juice makes when you drink it and when it wears off, the reference to the theme song, namedropping Dunwyn Castle...heck, they even got the recipe for the juice right (but left out the proper stirring technique)!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's when he went up Neverrest--75 years ago. Apparently, he was active 50 years before that (according to the White Plains episode). Which hints he didn't make his first million until WW2 (or the Duck-verse equivalent).
    What makes you think he didn't make his first million until WW2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #363

Because the trip up Neverrest 75 years ago was to celebrate having made his first million. 2018-75=1943.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Because the trip up Neverrest 75 years ago was to celebrate having made his first million. 2018-75=1943.
    Well, in fairness, a million dollars was a much bigger deal in 1943 than it is now. Assuming inflation is a thing in this setting, anyway. Also, the Agent 22 episode shows pretty well that Scrooge is twenty times more badass now as an old duck than when he was younger.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-07-12 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #365

Okay, after this episode I am completely done with Mark Beaks. They've also made a convincing case for just lobotomizing Gyro to make sure he stops building stuff designed to go rogue and explode.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, after this episode I am completely done with Mark Beaks. They've also made a convincing case for just lobotomizing Gyro to make sure he stops building stuff designed to go rogue and explode.
    They aren't designed to go rogue and explode. They've got a tendency to go rogue...the exploding part may or not be intentional though. Gyro's still working on that.

Spoiler: Gizmoduck episode!
    Show
    It looked this episodes explosion was something of a fail-safe mechanism for the processor in the Gizmoduck suit though.

Also, did Huey just perform brain surgery on Fenton?
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Looks like Fenton's mother is a police officer now? And she likes her telenovelas.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have to say, I have never liked Mark Beaks. He's pretty close to the purest manifestation of things I can't stand. Well, without actually being evil, anyway.

Continuing with the Disney Afternoon references, one of the Beagle Boys robs a bank wearing a Mighty Ducks costume. And yes, I am ashamed that I recognized it.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Spoiler: Gizmoduck episode!
    Show
    It looked this episodes explosion was something of a fail-safe mechanism for the processor in the Gizmoduck suit though.

Also, did Huey just perform brain surgery on Fenton?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A fail-safe does not go "something is wrong, let us now proceed to the nuclear explosion". Like I said, Gyro is pretty much designing things to go rogue and explode, even if he doesn't realize it.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler: S1E17 - From the Confidential Casefiles of Agent 22
    Show
    So, interesting that Darkwing Duck is 'just a TV show,' but S.H.U.S.H and F.O.W.L are both real things, apparently.

This does seem to lend some strength to digiman619's theory.

Also, nice Ludwig Von Drake cameo. Interesting they did not use J. Gander Hooter as the director of S.H.U.S.H instead.

Oh, and I loved the Gummi Bear references. The berries, the juice, the sound effect that the juice makes when you drink it and when it wears off, the reference to the theme song, namedropping Dunwyn Castle...heck, they even got the recipe for the juice right (but left out the proper stirring technique)!
    the one catching me most off guard was "Flip Six Three Hole"
    Last edited by Sian; 2018-07-17 at 03:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

So, um. San Diego Comic Con happened. We got a bit of news about Season 2 and who's showing up:
    Spoiler: Just in case you want to be surprised
    Show

Oh and here's what happening for the rest of the season. It's starting to get really hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Spamalot in the Playground

Oh and here's what happening for the rest of the season. It's starting to get really hype.
    Spoiler: Specific note about the hype.
    Show
    I'm gonna miss Jim Cummings' performance as Don Carnage. That voice was so distinctive for the character. Still, nice to see so many characters and franchises tie together again within this story arc. It's pretty darn epic.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: Specific note about the hype.
    Show
    I'm gonna miss Jim Cummings' performance as Don Carnage. That voice was so distinctive for the character. Still, nice to see so many characters and franchises tie together again within this story arc. It's pretty darn epic.
    Spoiler: A response to the note
    Show
    Well, they've gone out of their way to have a more ethically diverse cast. I'm personally hoping that he's just the descendant of Talespin!Don Carnage and not the exact same character.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: A response to the note
    Show
    Well, they've gone out of their way to have a more ethically diverse cast. I'm personally hoping that he's just the descendant of Talespin!Don Carnage and not the exact same character.
    Spoiler: A Reply to the Response
    Show
    Oh so like how Dread Pirate Roberts is more of a franchise than a single pirate? Heh, I could dig that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: In chain...but why are we spoiling this?
    Show
    I’m sure you want the Tailspin character to be the predecessor of the Ducktale’s Carnage so that they can change up the character while the original remains unchanged to allow the 90’s show to remain unchanged.

That’s not how they do things.

Don Carnage is going to come in as himself, and either make reference to the Tailspin characters existing, or not. This show doesn’t shrine off any of the previous shows they appropriate from its changes. Nor should it. Not only is this show a great improvement over the simplistic animation and characterization of the 90’s but also the characters it bring in have much more potential for spin off potential the way their doing it.

It’s far more effective to bring “Don Carnage” into Ducktales then son of Don Carnage.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

So Scrooge was hatched Scotland 1867.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #377

Well, I think the odds of things ending remotely well for Lena have taken a serious nosedive after this episode.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I think the odds of things ending remotely well for Lena have taken a serious nosedive after this episode.
    Spoiler: Latest episode and Lena
    Show
    Really, I get the opposite. Lena has just completed her growth arc, starting from a place of distrust and manipulation, she willingly furthered Magica’s goals. Now she was willing to call to her new friends for help.

Before, she was her own obstacle to happiness. Now its just a matter of exorcising Magica. Now you could imagine that Lena will ultimately take the blame for Magica and get kicked out of the manor but this is Ducktales, not Survivor. Tragic endings belong in the same bucket as deaths and dismemberments, they are not going to happen.

Lena’s problem will eventually come to light and all will be forgiven. Just not before big dramatic final episode ending out this arc.

19. - Top - End - #379

Damn, this was a good weekend for Disney shows (personnel decisions, not so much). BH6 has a competent villain, Krei again being a massive idiot, and also gave us the story behind one of those newspaper articles in the movie's credits.

Oh, and Hiro and Wasabi had a bonding moment.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

So, does anyone else think this show is really underusing Donald? Sure, he's not as accomplished as Scrooge... but that's the appeal of the character. He's NOT insanely rich or multitalented. He's a working class Joe with anger issues and chronic bad luck. He's fallible.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    So, does anyone else think this show is really underusing Donald? Sure, he's not as accomplished as Scrooge... but that's the appeal of the character. He's NOT insanely rich or multitalented. He's a working class Joe with anger issues and chronic bad luck. He's fallible.
    Kinda torn on this. To my mind, the show seems to suggest that Donald is every bit the badass his uncle is. Or, at least, he was. Then something happened to turn him into... this. His behavior suggests he blames Scrooge, but not directly - he wouldn't leave the boys with him if he were an actual danger. I suspect he feels Scrooge is a bad influence, instead. That it was his drive for adventure that led Della to abandon the boys. And since Donald's adventuring and luck would let him know - first hand and in excrutiating detail - what can go wrong in life, his fear for the boys has driven him overboard.

So, I kinda think the Della Duck arc needs to be resolved before Donald can get back to form. He needs to get over whatever happened that made him responsible for the boys... that made him fear the adventure. I do hope it happens, though. One of the cooler bits of the reboot is that Donald is part of the family rather than out on a ship all the time, but the difference is almost semantic at this point.

Edit: Had to love the Webby doll.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-07-23 at 06:42 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

22. - Top - End - #382

RangerGuy

Unrelated to my issues with the use of Donald: I've seen it argued that Magica's treatment of Lena is a disturbingly accurate take on an abusive childhood. Not having grown up in one of those it didn't immediately occur to me, but having given it some thought it makes sense.

Any thoughts?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Unrelated to my issues with the use of Donald: I've seen it argued that Magica's treatment of Lena is a disturbingly accurate take on an abusive childhood. Not having grown up in one of those it didn't immediately occur to me, but having given it some thought it makes sense.

Any thoughts?
    It is very accurate to one of the way "children / teen / adults" come out of living in an abusive household would behave. Living in an abusive household makes it more common to have certain behaviors as a teen or adult. That said understand that there is not a single way people respond to abuse but there are several "clusters" of ways that are more common when you grew up in an abusive household vs non abusive.

I am bringing up another part of psychology that is not about abuse but it is called attachment theory and there are 4 main clusters. Secure, Avoidant, Anxious / Ambivalent, and Other (which is often called disorganized and often the other has traits of both Avoidant and Anxious.)

Now attachment theory in Psychology is not about abuse, but attachment theory is very much about how you were raised as a baby and a toddler for these formative years help condition a child and later a teen and adult on what is normal and what to expect from strangers and non-strangers (family / friends / acquaintance / work people / etc.)

Lena is very much the "avoidant-attachment."

Here is a quick shorthand for the people that are not familiar with the terms I am using.

But understand there is far more going on with Lena beside avoidant attachment, for example Magica manipulating Lena whenever Magica wants / needs something and Lena is not involved with that thing. Magica finds a way to "rope" Lena into this by either giving Lena something she wants or by taking something Lena needs away.

Also understand Avoidant Attachment without those other things such as a history of manipulation is a very common thing and is not a disorder persay (what is a disorder instead of a cluster of common symptoms / behaviors, well a disorder happens when those symptoms are severe enough there is a failure to thrive caused by those symptoms.) Avoidant Attachment is a normal unchosen preference in temperament that is between 1 in 5 to 1 in 4 people have (20 to 25% percent depending on the diagnostic criteria, the specific survey, and also which age we are talking here with child, teen, adult, etc but also different cultures and blah blah blah.) Sometimes Avoidant Attachment is a good thing, sometimes bad, and lots of times neutral.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Kinda torn on this. To my mind, the show seems to suggest that Donald is every bit the badass his uncle is. Or, at least, he was. Then something happened to turn him into... this.
    I think you're misreading Donald and why they don't use him. Donald is an amazing world adventurer, with chronic bad luck and a tendency toward impotent anger and frustration. This is Donald's character. It's been Donald's character for a long time. Donald is the clown and the butt for his own episodes. However, despite this, his stories tend to end with happy endings.

So Donald is a great adventurer precisely by playing the clown and running into extreme situations of bad luck, and getting frustrated and making things worse. That's just what Donald does.

I think the reason Donald doesn't get more of the spotlight is because these antics can quickly steal the show when he's present. Also, Donald hasn't been in the original Ducktales television show and I just don't think they have figured out what role Donald is going to have. Where Donald appears in the comics and in previous shows he tends to be the lead. Its going to be an exercise of creativity to add him to Ducktales without taking the spotlight away from the nephews.

I hope they figure it out though, but I think it may take awhile, and the priority is the kids and Scrooge! Scrooge hasn't had enough of his own screen-time. I feel Lena has gotten a richer characterization at this point.

Any thoughts?
    I think its pretty on the nose. Magica is clearly controlling and fosters Lena's dependency and isolation. In her first episode we see the same attempt by Lena on Webby (this doesn't work, and Lena instead gets turned around). We see Magica getting increasingly worried and desperate to re-establish control as Lena starts getting more and more friends. When Lena finally figures things out what's going on and reaches out for help, Magica immediately reacts and uses her superior power to shut her down.

Its not a metaphor for an abusive relationship, it is an abusive relationship made palatable in a kids show because of Lena's relative maturity (imagine if they made her as naive as the other kids) and the fact it takes place behind the guise of magic.

25. - Top - End - #385

I think one of the issues for Donald right now is that any stories they're developing for him right now are being used in Three Caballeros instead.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

I think one of the issues for Donald right now is that any stories they're developing for him right now are being used in Three Caballeros instead.
    They are actually made by completely different studios, so that's not the case.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh I so loved the original musical number that goes on for over 90 seconds in this most recent episode "Sky Pirates in Flight."

28. - Top - End - #388

RangerGuy

Just why is it canon that all pirates, regardless of location or era, speak with an exaggerated southwest English accent?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Just why is it canon that all pirates, regardless of location or era, speak with an exaggerated southwest English accent?
    English Privateers were a thing, such as Sir Francis Drake. It was only later that the UK got a dedicated navy and did not rely solely on Privatering.

But also Gilbert and Sullivan is part of the reason for the accent (G&S 3 most famous works are H.M.S. Pinafore, The Pirates of Penzance and The Mikado.) Thus modern musical theater but also some of our stereotypes about Pirates were born.

Seriously you can not see / feel the essence of G&S being transmitted through the generations to a new Dread Pirate Robert? Can you not feel G&S in the Don Karnage Pirate Song (see 2nd video which forum rules force me to link not embed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI1RJ6QVXrQ

30. - Top - End - #390
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

While Modern Major General is the most famous song, if I was showing stereotypical singing pirates, I'd have gone with I am a Pirate King.

'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...