New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    It's really fun to use Orisa on levels with holes on them if you happen to be someone that remembers to use Halt! ability. (well it's also just fun to drag people off their perches or out of buildings with it too).

I've kind of settled on Orisa or D.Va for tanking, the other tanks play in a way that doesn't quite mesh with me, or simply aren't appealing...though I still haven't given Winston a try yet. Maybe I should do that. The more kinds of each type one is comfortable with, the better right?
    Orisa is also fun on maps with an edge that you can fall off of...use that grav-bomb to pull people off the edge.... like when people charge out of the bottom door on Dorado....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Bastion was nerfed a bit not to long ago. His shot spread at range is a lot worse than it use to be, and he can't self-heal in turret mode any more.
    That last bit is completely false: Bastion's self heal was changed to have it's own resource meter (like D.va's Defense Matrix.) Healing yourself from near dead to max health is one full bar of this resource. Additionally, Bastion can now move around while using his self heal. What Bastion cannot do is heal and fire at the same time.

Further more, Bastion's turret mode has been changed so that it can no longer deal Critical hit damage. However, even so the Turret Form has much higher DPS than Recon Mode's Soldier 76-like gun (there's slight deviations between Soldier and Bastion's guns though: Soldier has higher accuracy in burst fire while Bastion has a slightly tighter cone when holding down the fire button.)

Overall, Bastion has been remade into a slightly more mobile hero. His Turret mode is still devastating, but it won't snipe people from across the map, and Bastion is less of a sitting duck when caught while repairing since he can still retreat.

Generally, the smartest way to play Bastion is to change positions between engagements to avoid being dived when the enemy team catches on to your position and/or make hero swaps to attempt to counter you.
    Last edited by Geno9999; 2017-06-05 at 08:09 PM.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I've been playing 6 on 6 random matches almost non-stop for the last few nights(my buddy came up and bought the game for me, said he just wanted to play with me, didn't care about the money), which is a great way to get more familiar with the other characters, though it can also be really frustrating if you land several in a row you're not familiar with/good at, because you just die over and over pretty quickly.

I still have pretty much the same impression of the game, it's great, and for all the same reasons I mentioned before, but I'm starting to prefer other characters now over Soldier 76. Tolbjorn is quite fun, as is junkrat(though I didn't realize until last night that his ultimate can be destroyed so you have you use it sneakily ><), and I'm getting fairly proficient with D.Va :)

Still suck with Reaper and Roadhog though, which is annoying because my luck in 6v6 rando's usually stick me with those two(I had roadhog 3x in a row last night, then Reaper, then Mei, then Roadhog again).
    I've only been playing a little bit per day, and I have no sense on if I'm playing well. I'd like to try out a few of the other heroes (like Tracer or McCree) but in quickplay it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to play tanks or healing, so I usually get stuck doing one of those two instead. I suppose it's a good thing I actually enjoy both roles, but it'd be a nice change of pace to try something else more often.

Do you guys play on PC? (Does anyone here play on PC?) It might be fun to get together and try to play as a team.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    That last bit is completely false: Bastion's self heal was changed to have it's own resource meter (like D.va's Defense Matrix.) Healing yourself from near dead to max health is one full bar of this resource. Additionally, Bastion can now move around while using his self heal. What Bastion cannot do is heal and fire at the same time.

Further more, Bastion's turret mode has been changed so that it can no longer deal Critical hit damage. However, even so the Turret Form has much higher DPS than Recon Mode's Soldier 76-like gun (there's slight deviations between Soldier and Bastion's guns though: Soldier has higher accuracy in burst fire while Bastion has a slightly tighter cone when holding down the fire button.)

Overall, Bastion has been remade into a slightly more mobile hero. His Turret mode is still devastating, but it won't snipe people from across the map, and Bastion is less of a sitting duck when caught while repairing since he can still retreat.

Generally, the smartest way to play Bastion is to change positions between engagements to avoid being dived when the enemy team catches on to your position and/or make hero swaps to attempt to counter you.
    Have you tried to self heal while in turret mode? I have, and it hasn't worked...I've had to pop out, heal and then pop back into turret mode....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Have you tried to self heal while in turret mode? I have, and it hasn't worked...I've had to pop out, heal and then pop back into turret mode....
    I literally started up Overwatch and gotten into the Practice Range to test this. I can still heal while in turret mode. I'm on PC if it matters.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

I literally started up Overwatch and gotten into the Practice Range to test this. I can still heal while in turret mode. I'm on PC if it matters.
    Hmm....it shouldn't. Might just be a glitch on my end then...but it's damned annoying lol

- L. Long

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I was just bastion on a map and I self-healed while in Turret mode.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I was just bastion on a map and I self-healed while in Turret mode.
    Hmm....when I'm in turret mode, the option is grey'd out for me...might have to do a re-install....

- L. Long

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Widowmaker pondering... would being able to do the same type of shots while unscoped help her out any? It would boost her vision and awareness, as well as letting her do better in closer ranges... I think?
    I mean, the lack of need to scope seems like a boon for both Ana and Hanzo, and even for not-a-sniper-but-capable-of-combat-at-a-decent-range characters like Mei, 76, and McCree.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Widowmaker pondering... would being able to do the same type of shots while unscoped help her out any? It would boost her vision and awareness, as well as letting her do better in closer ranges... I think?
    I mean, the lack of need to scope seems like a boon for both Ana and Hanzo, and even for not-a-sniper-but-capable-of-combat-at-a-decent-range characters like Mei, 76, and McCree.
    Wait...Hanzo has a scope? Huh...no wonder I rarely manage to head-shot anyone with him. I just pull the bow back and aim as best as I can with those 3 little dots.

As far as Widowmaker and Ana...I don't know, anytime I try to shoot someone without the scope, it doesn't seem to do anywhere near as much damage really, though considering how new I am, I could just be totally wrong :).

On the plus side, I got my 1v1 loot box today, only took me two tries. Second attempt went down to the final match, me with Soldier 76, opponent with Genji. Thank god for my healing because I'd have lost. Well, that and my missile attack, he was right in front of me and I nailed him with it, insta-kill :). Still trying to figure out why the heck he got play of the game with Hanzo vs my Soldier, I had him half dead, and yet an earlier match with me as Pharah(Farrah?) and him Junkrat I killed him in 3 hits and took no damage at all. Bah humbug!

Got all the weekly arcade loot boxes out of the way with my buddy, and in the process got a play of the game as lucio when I blew just one single person off a ledge with his sonic pulse attack. Everyone was laughing at the end about that :)

Edit: Battle.net tag: Starwulf#1779
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2017-06-06 at 07:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

The difference is Ana's attacks do the same damage with the same range regardless of scope(only difference is how fast it travels), while Widowmaker's gun turns in to a pretty weak and low accuracy machinegun when not scoped.
    (And no, Hanzo does not have a scope. I just meant that his ability to fire long[or short] ranges without having to cut down his view is a plus over Widow).

edit: also added you to the opening post's list. Anyone else need to be needed?
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-06-06 at 08:19 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

My battletag is Cobalt#11437

I don't have a working mic, but I listen to voice chat. And type if I really need to (ex: Tracer diving on me)

I sure have gotten better at shooting people in the head though, thanks to Tracers liking to come for me.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    edit: also added you to the opening post's list. Anyone else need to be needed?
    Seyruun#1808. I play on EU. Have terrible aim, but I still like to try out McCree and Tracer from time to time. When I tryhard, I play Mercy/Lucio/Zenyatta/Winston/D.Va/Reinhardt. I can't play Ana and I don't understand how she works, much as I try, I don't even use scope because her sniping damage feels extremely weak and scoping leaves me vulnerable. I also have SC2 and Hearthstone, in case anyone cares, but I am rusty at the former and terrible F2P on the latter.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2017-06-06 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Geno9999#1674, like it says in the OP, but I should note that I am in the Midwest North America area. On comp I tend to use the mic often for callouts, otherwise I don't use it much. Tank Main with a choice of D.va, Reinhardt, and Orisa, with a side of Soldier 76, Bastion, and Zenyatta. I also play Heroes of the Storm from time to time (curse you Nexus 2.0 event!)
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if it's because I've been mostly playing mystery heroes and most people on there at my level don't understand party mechanics, or if I just suck, but I really do not understand how to play Reinhardt at all. I know he's not meant to fight much, he's a tank, but every time I try to use my shield to let my teammates attack without getting hit, they never cover me(my sides/rear), or run ahead of the shield, and then I die because I didn't get the coverage from the side, or because I tried to rush to catch up with them and they are already dead and I get swarmed by an entire team. I have had the absolute worst time with him, and honestly Roadhog too, but I fully attribute Roadhog to just flat out sucking with him.

My tank of choice is fast becoming Orisa, she has decent damage, can shield herself AND teammates, and has the draw out thingie which is pretty nifty. I managed to get a nice triple kill last night when I played with my buddy, was pretty happy with that.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2017-06-06 at 09:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's because I've been mostly playing mystery heroes and most people on there at my level don't understand party mechanics, or if I just suck, but I really do not understand how to play Reinhardt at all. I know he's not meant to fight much, he's a tank, but every time I try to use my shield to let my teammates attack without getting hit, they never cover me(my sides/rear), or run ahead of the shield, and then I die because I didn't get the coverage from the side, or because I tried to rush to catch up with them and they are already dead and I get swarmed by an entire team.
    Sounds like you're playing Rein perfectly, just on the wrong team.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's because I've been mostly playing mystery heroes and most people on there at my level don't understand party mechanics, or if I just suck, but I really do not understand how to play Reinhardt at all. I know he's not meant to fight much, he's a tank, but every time I try to use my shield to let my teammates attack without getting hit, they never cover me(my sides/rear), or run ahead of the shield, and then I die because I didn't get the coverage from the side, or because I tried to rush to catch up with them and they are already dead and I get swarmed by an entire team. I have had the absolute worst time with him, and honestly Roadhog too, but I fully attribute Roadhog to just flat out sucking with him.

My tank of choice is fast becoming Orisa, she has decent damage, can shield herself AND teammates, and has the draw out thingie which is pretty nifty. I managed to get a nice triple kill last night when I played with my buddy, was pretty happy with that.
    I want to say most of it is from playing Mystery Heroes, because 1) you're playing in a inherently casual area (up and until they release the Horizon Map, the game doesn't even record your stats to be shown on your profile.) 2) You and everybody else have been thrown into characters that are most likely not their mains so they probably only have a vague idea of how to play as them.

That being said, Reinhardt is a character whose performance does rely a lot on your team. Like you said, if the team doesn't stand with him and protect him when being flanked, he's kind of a giant walking Ultimate charge in a game mode where Ultimates are rare.

I haven't looked at Roadhog on the PTR yet, but right now he relies on two things: his Alt Fire and the Hook. His Primary Fire has terrible spread and generally only used when enemies are within punching range or as a followup to the hook. The Alt Fire though is very potent especially if you get the hang of the distance where the ball explodes into pellets. His Hook and Primary Fire combo is more or less a instant kill on the majority of the cast, and severely crippling on most of the tanks as well. The PTR at the moment nerfs his overall damage, but increases his fire rate and slightly increased his clip size to compensate, so that the Hook Combo isn't necessarily a instant kill from full health but he's not entirely a sitting duck while waiting on the Hook Cooldown.

Orisa jumped from "Eh she's okay" to "Oh. She's actually really good right now." with the recent changes, especially with the Barrier Cooldown reduction. She is however very vulnerable to dive comps that realize that everybody can just walk through the barrier, so you still need some forethought to where you place the barrier, and her Shift ability can only protect you for so long.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

I know he's not meant to fight much, he's a tank
    Generally though, that doesn't mean you should slouch with your fire strikes, they're very powerful and add decent, at the very least, chip damage or can help win tank vs tank skirmishes that are common in pubs. Also, in general, you should keep constantly being on the lookout for a prime position to charge and pin someone to a wall. Be mindful that even though Reinhardt has a huge range on his closeup, you should assume that in actuality it's only a couple of meters, because anyone who is at all awake will be able to avoid an easily telegraphed charge. So don't slouch on the offensive, but when in doubt, shield.

but every time I try to use my shield to let my teammates attack without getting hit, they never cover me(my sides/rear)
    Flankers can be a decent counter to Reinhardt; try him against a team of snipers or someone like McCree, whose flanking capability gets easily cut off as soon as he gets out of position. And, likewise, if your team employs a lot of flankers that are not going to be with the team / not going to protect you, maybe try a disruption tank like D.Va or Winston. Both have the added advantage of being able to easily disengage, which makes them better pubstompers. Also, remember to be mindful of chokepoints. I can't put my finger on exact maps where there are good chokes to abuse, but you will be able to recognize them.

or run ahead of the shield, and then I die because I didn't get the coverage from the side, or because I tried to rush to catch up with them and they are already dead and I get swarmed by an entire team.
    If there's anything I learned from climbing to Diamond in League of Legends is that you sometimes have to predict your teammates being silly, so you should constantly reaffirm your position. Make sure to check yourself at all times and figure out if you're the one not constantly out of position - generally, you shouldn't be just standing there in an extremely wide corridor or some other open area and immediately shielding everything flying your way. Rather, proactively run forward for a few paces and only start shielding when the fire picks up. You have 500 health at your disposal on top of your shield; use it to reposition yourself properly.

Also, in a pub setting, I find it a good idea to not stand there for as long as possible, constantly picking up your shield again when it renews even slightly; rather, it's probably better to chill back, maybe give up the choke you are currently holding, wait for the shield to become 2000 again, and in the meantime, look for picks and firestrikes.
    I have had the absolute worst time with him, and honestly Roadhog too, but I fully attribute Roadhog to just flat out sucking with him.
    In my limited experience, Reinhardt is your typical shield tank that happens to have quite a few playmaking and initiation abilities, but remains versatile on both offense and defense; you tank by mitigating damage. Roadhog is a tank only by the virtue of his huge HP pool (arguably, similar to D.Va in that regard), and it might be more ideal to see him as a character designed for making picks. Roadhog can't be in the middle of a fray like Reinhardt or Winston can; instead, Roadhog throws his weight around and is designed to be an extreme annoyance that WILL one-shot your support or vital damage dealer if you let him, and he HAS to be taken into account before you pop that Deadeye or Tactical Visor. Your playstyle with him is to be a versatile nuisance that can self-sustain while harassing the enemy territory, and his non-ult usage is to basically turn fights into a 6v5 (or 5v5, but your life is less useful than that of a Mercy or ulting McCree anyway). He is better on tight maps where his shotgun can shine more even if you aren't too good at landing hooks; basically, NOBODY wants to be in close quarters with Roadhog. He is also a decent choice if you are Quick Playing in a party that didn't choose any healers and you are confident you can make plays to win the game.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2017-06-07 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post

In my limited experience, Reinhardt is your typical shield tank that happens to have quite a few playmaking and initiation abilities, but remains versatile on both offense and defense; you tank by mitigating damage. Roadhog is a tank only by the virtue of his huge HP pool (arguably, similar to D.Va in that regard), and it might be more ideal to see him as a character designed for making picks. Roadhog can't be in the middle of a fray like Reinhardt or Winston can; instead, Roadhog throws his weight around and is designed to be an extreme annoyance that WILL one-shot your support or vital damage dealer if you let him, and he HAS to be taken into account before you pop that Deadeye or Tactical Visor. Your playstyle with him is to be a versatile nuisance that can self-sustain while harassing the enemy territory, and his non-ult usage is to basically turn fights into a 6v5 (or 5v5, but your life is less useful than that of a Mercy or ulting McCree anyway). He is better on tight maps where his shotgun can shine more even if you aren't too good at landing hooks; basically, NOBODY wants to be in close quarters with Roadhog. He is also a decent choice if you are Quick Playing in a party that didn't choose any healers and you are confident you can make plays to win the game.
    This is accurate. Hog is a tank in that he makes space for his team by being a threat. His opponents HAVE to respect him (assuming a decent hog player) or pay the consequences.

Likewise the best way to deal with hog is to bait his hook. Than have of your tanks block his attacks while your dps swarm him for the kill. He generally should be a higher priority than the healers (assuming no mercy rez) to take down.

Ana, Zen, Widowmaker, Hanzo Zarya and D.Va are all great ways to check the hog. Hog doesn't have any counters except a better hog.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    This is accurate. Hog is a tank in that he makes space for his team by being a threat. His opponents HAVE to respect him (assuming a decent hog player) or pay the consequences.
    Eh, not really. I used to think that, but Hog is really just bad, chubby reaper, with one stupendously good ability. He is, for all intents and purposes, a big DPS. His role is really to wallow around the flanks and get surprise picks off the enemy team. His scrapgun can do work versus barriers, and you CAN get lucky with the odd right-click, but at the end of the day, he's all hook, all the time.

Likewise the best way to deal with hog is to bait his hook. Than have of your tanks block his attacks while your dps swarm him for the kill. He generally should be a higher priority than the healers (assuming no mercy rez) to take down.
    IMO, your best bet with Roadhog is to stay out of hook range and use his fat carcass to charge your ultimate. I don't think focusing him at the expense of healers is necessarily a good idea. Of course, who you focus ought really be determined by circumstance. Kill whoever you can kill the easiest, without risking your own teammates in exchange. Man advantage is immense in Overwatch.

Ana, Zen, Widowmaker, Hanzo Zarya and D.Va are all great ways to check the hog. Hog doesn't have any counters except a better hog.
    Ana isn't a Hog counter of any kind, she can just sleep him easily. If your team is nearby and his isn't, that will put him in a box, but if your team is nearby and his isn't, guess what? Hog will die anyway, sleep dart or no. Neither is D.va a Hog counter, she's easy fodder for the hook, and will also take a lot of damage from his scrapgun. Widowmaker and Hanzo can punish him for directly approaching, but they don't have the ability to find him and end him if he's playing his game properly (peeking around corners, using the hook to get picks, avoiding exposing his blubber too very much trash damage). Zen can put the hurt on any tank, and like the snipers, can prevent him from approaching over open ground, but again, he's not going to win if he tries to beat Hog at his own game. Plus, Zen's big circular hitbox and slow movement make him very easy to hook.

Reaper is a strong answer to Roadhog, and will be more of one when the PTR nerfs come through. He's got enough beef to survive a hook, and can wraith out if Hog lands a good one. His damage will shred him really quickly, of course. McCree and Soldier can do pretty well against Roadhog, when played properly. Corner-dodge to keep from getting hooked, keep chipping, and when he throws his hook, send him back to the spawn room. The best Roadhog counter, however, is Zarya. A Zarya on your team who bubbles hook targets will save teammate lives, and will get HUGE amounts of energy, and when Zarya gets max energy, Каждый умрет.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    In my limited experience, Reinhardt is your typical shield tank that happens to have quite a few playmaking and initiation abilities, but remains versatile on both offense and defense; you tank by mitigating damage.
    Reinhardt is a demigod. He's the strongest tank in Overwatch by far, only suffering versus a handful of high-mobility characters. The problem with Reinhardt is that while his kit is amazing, it's only as good as your game sense and positioning, and your teammates' ability to execute. Rein on a team full of scrubs will die constantly. Rein who shows his shield in the wrong place will die constantly. Rein who charges at the wrong time will die constantly. However, when you gets good at using Rein's shield, and your teammates also get good at using Rein's shield, he's incredibly powerful.

The current Dive meta is all about a composition which is designed more or less exclusively to neutalize the Reinhardt/Ana synergy. It places a Winston bubble between heals and the front line, giving the dive team a window in which to focus down an enemy and win the subsequent 6 on 5.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Eh, not really. I used to think that, but Hog is really just bad, chubby reaper, with one stupendously good ability. He is, for all intents and purposes, a big DPS. His role is really to wallow around the flanks and get surprise picks off the enemy team. His scrapgun can do work versus barriers, and you CAN get lucky with the odd right-click, but at the end of the day, he's all hook, all the time.

IMO, your best bet with Roadhog is to stay out of hook range and use his fat carcass to charge your ultimate. I don't think focusing him at the expense of healers is necessarily a good idea. Of course, who you focus ought really be determined by circumstance. Kill whoever you can kill the easiest, without risking your own teammates in exchange. Man advantage is immense in Overwatch.

Ana isn't a Hog counter of any kind, she can just sleep him easily. If your team is nearby and his isn't, that will put him in a box, but if your team is nearby and his isn't, guess what? Hog will die anyway, sleep dart or no. Neither is D.va a Hog counter, she's easy fodder for the hook, and will also take a lot of damage from his scrapgun. Widowmaker and Hanzo can punish him for directly approaching, but they don't have the ability to find him and end him if he's playing his game properly (peeking around corners, using the hook to get picks, avoiding exposing his blubber too very much trash damage). Zen can put the hurt on any tank, and like the snipers, can prevent him from approaching over open ground, but again, he's not going to win if he tries to beat Hog at his own game. Plus, Zen's big circular hitbox and slow movement make him very easy to hook.

Reaper is a strong answer to Roadhog, and will be more of one when the PTR nerfs come through. He's got enough beef to survive a hook, and can wraith out if Hog lands a good one. His damage will shred him really quickly, of course. McCree and Soldier can do pretty well against Roadhog, when played properly. Corner-dodge to keep from getting hooked, keep chipping, and when he throws his hook, send him back to the spawn room. The best Roadhog counter, however, is Zarya. A Zarya on your team who bubbles hook targets will save teammate lives, and will get HUGE amounts of energy, and when Zarya gets max energy, Каждый умрет.

I never said that there was a counter to hog. I said there are checks to hog. Ana grenade and sleep dart are fantastic at bullying hog. Landing a grenade on hog while he takes a breather puts that hog in serious trouble as he's now locked in a two second animation with no way to respond. And reaper only counters hog atm IF the hog doesn't land a hook and IF the hook doesn't land a left click than the reaper can win. On the ptr it's a differen't story.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    You missed the point a bit. I am completely new to the game. I have played for *checking player profile* 5 hours. Any proficiency I may have picked up can be easily trained up. Also I don't know about compositions. I can hardly recognize team comps in Heroes of the Storm, and I am playing that game for 2 years now.
    One piece of advice that I didn't see anyone else suggest: Try everyone. You want to find at least one character in each category that you can play, but you should at least try every character once or twice.

Understanding the interactions between characters (i.e. who is good and bad against who, and to what degree) is a massive part of the game. The more you play different characters, the greater sense of that balance you'll have.

Are you getting your butt kicked by Mei while playing as D.Va? Play Mei in the next game, and see if you do as well. Plus you'll learn who Mei has trouble with, which might give you a counter-pick against her in the future.

Or you might just discover a new character that you didn't think you'd enjoy but becomes one of your favorites.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    One piece of advice that I didn't see anyone else suggest: Try everyone. You want to find at least one character in each category that you can play, but you should at least try every character once or twice.

Understanding the interactions between characters (i.e. who is good and bad against who, and to what degree) is a massive part of the game. The more you play different characters, the greater sense of that balance you'll have.

Are you getting your butt kicked by Mei while playing as D.Va? Play Mei in the next game, and see if you do as well. Plus you'll learn who Mei has trouble with, which might give you a counter-pick against her in the future.

Or you might just discover a new character that you didn't think you'd enjoy but becomes one of your favorites.
    To be fair Mei, doesn't have counters per say as she's designed to win 1v1s. You counter mei by swarming her by 2v1 in her and by not letting her stall.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2017-06-07 at 11:59 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    All of what Velaryon said is true, but especially this, i had been paying attention to the game during the closed Beta, i thought for sure i was going to be mostly playing Zarya, barely even cared about Reinhardt and almost hated junkrat.

Then i actually played the game, turns out i was terrible with Zarya, great(ish) with Reinhardt and LOVED playing junkrat.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Rawr, my buddy is driving me nuts, keeps harping on me to switch my controls back over to wasd, but I can't use wasd, I've never been able to use wasd, no matter how hard I try, or how long, my brain refuses to grasp it. Apparently when I mapped my control keys to the up/down/left/right arrows, and then mapped my abilities to keys next to them(P and right shift), I knocked off some communication keys(such as "My ultimate is ready" and other stuff, but no matter how much I tell him it's not happening he keeps harping on it ><. LOLOL. He's my best friend in the universe, but Imma have to smack him the next time I see him irl, driving me up a wall with it. He says "I learned it, and I never could before", but I'm not him.

Anyways, rant aside, had a decent night tonight, used Tolbjorn fairly effectively in my last match of the night, ended up on fire twice, and had 2 or 3 triple kills and quite a few double's, which was really nice. Didn't even have someone to shield my turrets, just had to hide in corners and repair them as much as possible. Other then that, I really need to learn to be more sneaky with D.Va's ultimate. I didn't kill more then one person with my ultimate out of like 5 or 6 ultimate uses.

On a plus side, I learned that Zarya apparently has an Ultimate Combo with Pharah, since Zarya's ultimate is a gravity well kinda thing that draws everyone in and doesn't let them move, making them extremely easy pickings for Pharah's ultimate.

Thankfully we aren't doing mystery matches anymore, since we earned all 3 weekly loot boxes from it the other night, so I didn't have to even attempt to play Reinhardt or Roadhog all night, just stuck with Orisa and D.Va(My and my buddy were a particularly nasty combination on that run down castle/village map, I was Orisa and he was Tolbjorn and I just sat there and shielded him and used her mini-gravity well attack to draw people right into it's line of fire. I blocked 21k damage, it was glorious!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyways, rant aside, had a decent night tonight, used Tolbjorn fairly effectively in my last match of the night, ended up on fire twice, and had 2 or 3 triple kills and quite a few double's, which was really nice. Didn't even have someone to shield my turrets, just had to hide in corners and repair them as much as possible. Other then that, I really need to learn to be more sneaky with D.Va's ultimate. I didn't kill more then one person with my ultimate out of like 5 or 6 ultimate uses.
    It's always a good idea to hide Torb's turret. If you pop it up in the open, it will get taken down too fast. Fortunately, there's always a bush or something you can put it in.

As for scoring multiple kills with D.Va's Ult....try rocketing into the air above everybody and letting your mech drop down into them. As soon as people hear her "Nerf THIS", they all start heading for corners (or behind the payload), but if they don't know which direction it's coming from, it makes it harder to dodge.

On a plus side, I learned that Zarya apparently has an Ultimate Combo with Pharah, since Zarya's ultimate is a gravity well kinda thing that draws everyone in and doesn't let them move, making them extremely easy pickings for Pharah's ultimate.
    Zarya's ult synergizes with just about everybody's ult, for the exactly the same reason. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any ult that wouldn't benefit from having the entire enemy team sucked into one big pile for a few seconds (Maybe Winstons)

Thankfully we aren't doing mystery matches anymore, since we earned all 3 weekly loot boxes from it the other night, so I didn't have to even attempt to play Reinhardt or Roadhog all night, just stuck with Orisa and D.Va(My and my buddy were a particularly nasty combination on that run down castle/village map, I was Orisa and he was Tolbjorn and I just sat there and shielded him and used her mini-gravity well attack to draw people right into it's line of fire. I blocked 21k damage, it was glorious!
    Gotta love that grav-bomb.

- L. Long

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    To be fair Mei, doesn't have counters per say as she's designed to win 1v1s. You counter mei by swarming her by 2v1 in her and by not letting her stall.
    Genji, Winston, or Tracer can all run circles around Mei and avoid being frozen, given an even fight. Enemies that can engage from a good distance, like McCree, Soldier and Pharah can also give her problems. Mei, like Roadhog, is Hero who works best when she can draw you into a close-quarters matchup one-on-one. Reaper can also avoid being frozen with wraith form, and blow her away before she can land a freeze. But Mei's ability as a duellist isn't the most powerful part of her kit anyway. Here biggest contribution to her team is the ability to split enemy formations. Blocking off a turret, splitting a charge, or trapping an enemy group inside an ultimate are all great ways to use her.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Blocking off a turret, splitting a charge, or trapping an enemy group inside an ultimate are all great ways to use her.
    Must....fight....urge....to....make...totally....t asteless.....joke.....
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-06-08 at 10:05 AM.

- L. Long

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither is D.va a Hog counter, she's easy fodder for the hook, and will also take a lot of damage from his scrapgun.
    The thing about D.va vs. Roadhog fight is that D.va forces Roadhog to engage her first; if he tries pick off her teammates, D.va can just block the follow up with Defense Matrix, much like Zarya does with her bubbles... Unlike Zarya though, D.va has no way of blocking the hook on herself.

That being said, I do tend to find Roadhog to be a fat bundle of Call Mech Ult fuel since he self heals instead of blocking damage.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The thing about D.va vs. Roadhog fight is that D.va forces Roadhog to engage her first; if he tries pick off her teammates, D.va can just block the follow up with Defense Matrix, much like Zarya does with her bubbles... Unlike Zarya though, D.va has no way of blocking the hook on herself.

That being said, I do tend to find Roadhog to be a fat bundle of Call Mech Ult fuel since he self heals instead of blocking damage.
    Yeah, Hog is everyone's ult battery, but I find that de-suiting D.va as Roadhog is incredibly trivial. His scrap gun fires up to 225 damage per shot, and with a target as big, round, and slow as D.va, he's going to be able to get a lot of damage in a hurry. I have not found Matrix to be effective in stopping the first shot after being hooked, as she will still be stunned, and a smart Hog will scuff her paint with alt-fire enough that the hook will finish her off. That's not to say that Dv.a doesn't have other abilities which can be effective versus Roadhog. Defense Matrix will eat a Roadhog ultimate, and a timely use of Boosters or Matrix can save the life of a teammate, as she bumps him out of position to one-shot a teammate, or just absorb the shot. But in all, I feel like Roadhog has the edge versus D.va.

IMO, D.va's strength is as an enforcer and guardian, countering mobile enemies, wrecking barriers, and pouncing on snipers. Got a Genji diving your healers or DPS? Cover your teammates with Matrix and your buddies have 10 seconds to fire unanswered. Got a Pharah harassing your formation? You can flash matrix to absorb every other rocket. Got a Widow or Hanzo pecking at your team from a place of safety? Boost up there and gun them down. See an enemy at low health running for safety? Boost in, ram and then melee for a quick 55 damage finisher.