New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

So, who, as your main, do you hate to face? And who do you enjoy fighting that surprised you? I mean some are obvious so...

As 'Rat Pharah of course. But also D.Va, Roadhog, Winston and Mei.
    Funny enough some of my favorite enemies are Reaper, Rein and Zaria.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-03-13 at 05:17 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So, who, as your main, do you hate to face? And who do you enjoy fighting that surprised you?
    I'd say at this point my mains are Hanzo and Parah.

As Hanzo I hate seeing Genji and Tracer and, to a lesser extent, Winston. I'm oddly okay with Widowmaker, only because I'm fairly accurate at long ranges with Hanzo, so it's more of a toss-up.

As Parah, there are few things that actually bother me. Skilled Widowmakers is about the only thing I really dislike seeing, and those just make me have to be a little more creative.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, who, as your main, do you hate to face? And who do you enjoy fighting that surprised you? I mean some are obvious so...

As 'Rat Pharah of course. But also D.Va, Roadhog, Winston and Mei.
    Funny enough some of my favorite enemies are Reaper and Zaria.
    My hatreds transcend the Hero I'm on. I hate Genji and Symmetra, under all circumstances. I have contempt for Junkrat. Everyone else is just fine.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, so...
    How IS it best to use Hanzo's splitting arrow?
    I think I keep getting my aim off with it. I can use normal arrows fine, but keep managing to miss rather badly(sending the arrows all flying back to me).
    I mean, I have gotten decent at turning it into an AoE around me, but I think that's a suboptimal way to utilize it, no?

In other news, managed to get sniped by a Mei with amazing aim. I mean, Widowmaker? Hanzo? Maybe Ana? I would've expected, but somehow I assumed the Mei wouldn't stand a hundred feet away and hide behind cover between icicle launches.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Okay, so...
    I think I keep getting my aim off with it. I can use normal arrows fine, but keep managing to miss rather badly(sending the arrows all flying back to me).
    I mean, I have gotten decent at turning it into an AoE around me, but I think that's a suboptimal way to utilize it, no?

In other news, managed to get sniped by a Mei with amazing aim. I mean, Widowmaker? Hanzo? Maybe Ana? I would've expected, but somehow I assumed the Mei wouldn't stand a hundred feet away and hide behind cover between icicle launches.
    I sniped a widowmaker as Lucio the other week. 90% luck, but the aim was good. The luck part was that she didn't realize who shot her until it was too late.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, so...

Aim it at people's feet. I think a perfect scatter can do 400 damage, so it's best used on non-tanks or weakened tanks. Or you can try to use it to already weak targets around corners, but I never seem to have much luck with that.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Please....let's talk Zen for a minute. His orbs can take out just about any other character in 4 or 5 hits, from a range that is rivaled only by Widomaker's scoped firing mode...maybe even better. I've seen him take down a full health, turreted Bastion in 5 hits, while bastion was blazing away, full auto at him and barely able to hit. If you want to talk about too much damage, there's where you need to be looking.

Symmetria's leash has to do so much damage, because she has to get so close to use it. If you catch her out in the open, instead of a confined space, and/or not get ambushed by her, she becomes less of a threat.

On the other hand, Zen can kill you just as fast, if not faster, from the other side of the map, just by spamming a choke point.

Ugh. Don't get me started on teamwork. I rage quit a few times today after getting stuck with the Mei that loves to throw up an ice wall, trapping her team inside the starting area on a KoTH map, the Hanzo that seemed more interested in climbing some minor protrusion just outside the starting area, rather than just go around it and get in the game, the Phara that was running around on foot and never ONCE tried to use her jet pack to try to get behind the enemy choke point, the D.Va and Rein that would constantly back away from one or two enemies, despite their having full shield strength and the entire team backing them up, the Genji and McCree that would run around outside the objective area on KoTH and never once try to actually take it.....

It's even worse when this crap happens on your placement matches, when you CAN'T quit and find a better team. My placement rankings have to suffer because I get forced onto a team full of short bus special snowflakes.
    My advice for comp is:

Play as a group. It is the only way to avoid trolls, throwers, asscaves and bad players.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

So now I'm curious, how accurate is Soldier 76's main weapon? I've changed to him once in a while and it seems far better at accuracy than I expected(is there a reason not to go for headshots if I can hit them?).

Edit: also, does quickplay normally match you with people of your level?(most matches lately have been levels 43-86, aside form me and maybe another newbie)
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-03-13 at 06:44 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #129

Planetar

Quick play does matchmaking based on a skill rating rather than pure level once you get out of the first 20 levels. I'm only level 160 and I've seen people in the 500+ range

10. - Top - End - #130
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So now I'm curious, how accurate is Soldier 76's main weapon? I've changed to him once in a while and it seems far better at accuracy than I expected(is there a reason not to go for headshots if I can hit them?).
    The key to accuracy with 76 is burst fire. Shoot for a few seconds (or less), stop firing, shoot again. I'm constantly reminding myself to use burst fire instead of just holding it down and it always helps my accuracy.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, so...
    Shoot at a point on the floor just in front of them. The sub-munitions will all bounce up and hit them, like a shotgun. It's also good for finishing off folks who are peeking from an alcove, and you've hit them once already. The shotgun effect is also not bad for damaging barriers. If you want some specific examples, look here.

Mei's icicle is actually just as dangerous as McCree's pistol, only it's a projectile, which means a) bigger hitbox, but b) not hitscan. She can definitely two shot most heroes with a headshot, inside her effective range. She does lose damage over range, though, unlike Heroes like Zenyatta, Mercy, and Lucio.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Aim it at people's feet. I think a perfect scatter can do 400 damage, so it's best used on non-tanks or weakened tanks. Or you can try to use it to already weak targets around corners, but I never seem to have much luck with that.
    75 per submunition, 375 total if all six hit. However, they CAN headshot. so the theoretical cap is higher. My advice is to use it liberally. Don't worry about saving it for a special occasion, just keep it on cooldown. It's fantastic to fling into any crowd of enemies, as it will overpenetrate people, which will give you a lot of ult charge.

VERY. For the first three shots, there is NO spread, it's a laser. You can actually modulate your fire to keep spread at zero, just fire 3 shot bursts and pause. You can actually outdamage McCree doing this, in all range brackets. He also has better attenuation, his shots do full damage (20 per shot) all the way out to 30 meters (You can test this on the practice range, as they've got floor stripes with distance labeled).

Edit: also, does quickplay normally match you with people of your level?(most matches lately have been levels 43-86, aside form me and maybe another newbie)
    Yes and no. Yes, you have a hidden MMR, and you'll be matched with players of comparable skill, but the quick in quick play is partially informed by the fact that the matching algorithm prioritizes placing you in a game over finding a game with people of an appropriate MMR, so you're more likely to meet outliers in either direction. However, the player LEVEL has nothing to do with your MMR. That's just a function of how long you've played since buying the game, ie: How many lockboxes you've earned. You could still be the worst Overwatch player in the world, and be level 200, by this time.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, advice for dealing with Roadhogs trying to close in with you as a Hanzo? I keep getting rushed from around corners by them and having to use a scatter arrow+retreat combo.
    Meow(Steam page)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

As a Roadhog main, I despair when fighting good Tracers and Genjis, since I'm so unlikely to hit them that they can basically use me to farm ult charge. At least Tracer has low HP and no vertical movement, so I can sometimes land an alt-fire...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

I do wonder if the "roadhogs as flankers" thing is just a thing a lot of new people do.
    Like, why is this guy sneaking around the outskirts of the map? Isn't he suggested to be a lead-the-charge type of hero?
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #135

Devil

Reinhardt main, i love fighting ulting Genji and out of position snipers.

I HATE fighting Tracers with a passion.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

I do wonder if the "roadhogs as flankers" thing is just a thing a lot of new people do.
    Like, why is this guy sneaking around the outskirts of the map? Isn't he suggested to be a lead-the-charge type of hero?
    because against unaware opponents hooking and killing a support is deadly. However, hog is generally screwed if caught, way more that a tracer or genji. I love punishing hogs. Discord them and call your team for some risk free ult charge. Alternatively if your Ana sleep dart him and call your team for easy bacon.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2017-03-13 at 09:30 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Isn't he suggested to be a lead-the-charge type of hero?
    He's fairly immobile and rather squishy (despite the high health pool) for leading the charge.

I see him played best as a second-line half-flanker. You're looking for that hook/kill combo, and popping up in unexpected places (or simply around walls) to get it, then retreating to heal to full. Since you can't DO anything while healing it makes the front lines a little risky until the big push happens -- then get in there and mix it up, by all means!
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-03-13 at 10:12 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also, advice for dealing with Roadhogs trying to close in with you as a Hanzo? I keep getting rushed from around corners by them and having to use a scatter arrow+retreat combo.
    Stay behind your team, but with your team. Use your ears, and be aware of flank routes. The most dangerous hook is the one you don't see coming, and good Roadhogs will try to hook from behind/flanks. Only hog's hook should be scary to you, so when it's off cooldown, peek from behind cover to keep from getting rekt. If he throws it and misses, you can get more bold. In any case, you actually shouldn't be his primary hook target, that's your healer. Scattering his feet and running off is not a bad plan, it makes him choose to leave your team alone or chase you down. If he does that, you can lead him on a merry chase.

Roadhog, like Genji, is really strong against disorganized teams that don't communicate. Your best defense against Roadhog is actually having a microphone and using it. Learn some map callouts, tell your team every time you spot a Roadhog trying to do something sneaky, and over enough games, you'll meet folks who are also prepared to share information and act on it, which will push up your win rate, and make those people more common.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

He has no ability to prevent damage to his team (in other words, he can't tank), and he's one of the most self-sufficient heroes, while also being lethal in 1v1 fights.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

So, I happened to stumble upon this, and I had to share. I'm quite impressed myself. Who knew Reinhardt had talent singing?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2017-03-14 at 12:39 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a question for you: How can you stand as Widowmaker, next to a hostile bastion, and not shoot him?

We lost big this morning, and of course the Bastion got POTG. But in the video it was clearly shown how our Widow was standing 3 feet away from him taking potshots at the enemy while he anihilated 4 of from the same ledge. Then he turned around and killed her.

WTH?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Here's a question for you: How can you stand as Widowmaker, next to a hostile bastion, and not shoot him?

We lost big this morning, and of course the Bastion got POTG. But in the video it was clearly shown how our Widow was standing 3 feet away from him taking potshots at the enemy while he anihilated 4 of from the same ledge. Then he turned around and killed her.

WTH?
    That's why Widowmakers are generally bad, especially at low MMR. They scope in on a patch of the map, never have any situational awareness, never push the objectives, and generally don't affect the game in any meaningful way. The loss of your peripheral vision is a huge hindrance. That's not to say there aren't good ones, but the bad ones are far, far more common.

In other news, I'm completely tired of how dumpster McCree is in the current patch. Useless ult, outclassed by multiple hitscan heroes, with no mobility, the biggest hitbox of any attack hero, and his one good trick (flashbang) is on an incredibly long cooldown, last a fraction of a second, and is so fiddly that half the time it has no positive effect.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    That's why Widowmakers are generally bad, especially at low MMR. They scope in on a patch of the map, never have any situational awareness, never push the objectives, and generally don't affect the game in any meaningful way. The loss of your peripheral vision is a huge hindrance. That's not to say there aren't good ones, but the bad ones are far, far more common.
    Too many kids picking Widowmaker, because they think being the sniper is "cool", with out really knowing how to play one.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    In other news, I'm completely tired of how dumpster McCree is in the current patch. Useless ult, outclassed by multiple hitscan heroes, with no mobility, the biggest hitbox of any attack hero, and his one good trick (flashbang) is on an incredibly long cooldown, last a fraction of a second, and is so fiddly that half the time it has no positive effect.
    His Ult could stand to lock targets a little faster. As it is, you announce your Ult to the entire map, glow like the sun, and have to stand around for a few seconds with a giant "shoot me now" sign over your head. I Kind of get it...it's an insta-kill ult that hits multiple targets, much like D.Va's, and can be blocked by breaking LOS...
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I could swear I'm the only player okay with playing a healer in 90% of my quickplay matches...
    I've actually tried selecting a nonhealer in a few matches, but if I stick with it, we end up with a team without any.
    I mean, I'm getting good with Lucio(my most common healer so far), but it also seems like something is wrong if I'm getting consistent gold or silver medals for both healing and eliminations at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceist View Post
    Ello! Just checking in to say my battle tag is Stercore#21590, and I would very much appreciate grouping up with some half decent (and half civil) people!
    Added to the list~

Also, anyone have an "offense" hero suggestion for someone enjoying Lucio, Junkrat, D.Va, Symmetra, and Hanzo so far?(with a little Zarya thrown in since the skin I got seems a fun motivation to learn her).
    I mean, I enjoy Genji, but with my current setup, it's proving hard to pull off the shuriken-dash-melee finisher combo attack thing. Maybe 76? Like, is he worth learning more? Or is he a sort of "somewhat under powered but easy to play" character?
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #145

Devil

I could swear I'm the only player okay with playing a healer in 90% of my quickplay matches...
    I've actually tried selecting a nonhealer in a few matches, but if I stick with it, we end up with a team without any.
    I mean, I'm getting good with Lucio(my most common healer so far), but it also seems like something is wrong if I'm getting consistent gold or silver medals for both healing and eliminations at the same time.

Also, anyone have an "offense" hero suggestion for someone enjoying Lucio, Junkrat, D.Va, Symmetra, and Hanzo so far?(with a little Zarya thrown in since the skin I got seems a fun motivation to learn her).
    I mean, I enjoy Genji, but with my current setup, it's proving hard to pull off the shuriken-dash-melee finisher combo attack thing. Maybe 76? Like, is he worth learning more? Or is he a sort of "somewhat under powered but easy to play" character?
    Thats how i became a Reinhardt main >_<

Also soldier 76 is the strongest offense hero in the current meta, hes just capable of the most consistent damage, and that minor heal and sprint help alot.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Depending on the team, and the map, going with out a healer isn't all that bad. I've played a ton of games with no healer and we did just fine (when we didn't have a team of idiots). It's when you get an entire team where nobody want's to play a tank that you start running into problems.

Soldier is a pretty rounded character. He does decent damage with his primary fire, his helix rockets pack a good punch for a quick blast at the feet of a jumping bean, and can heal himself and others.

If you like the high mobility characters, Tracer would be a good one to try out with her blinking around like a madwoman and being able to "rewind" a bit, she's hard to pin down, can get behind the enemy lines pretty easily (to counter a camping Bastion or Widowmaker), and generally frustrate most tanks by running/blinking circles around them.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Some people are willing to switch and some are not. It seems ppl who are playing healers, support or tank are more willing to switch to benefit the team than DPS and especially defense .
    Though it also seems to be split on your mains: Genjis Hanzos and Widows usually won't but soldiers, Junkrats and Pharahs will.

Usually though it's the one healer in the team that is willing to switch to a tank (and the other way around) still leaving the team vulnerable.
    I switched to Skater boi this morning and yep, it made the round go to us. Unfortunately we lost with 1-3 but the immense difference was almost funny.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Some people are willing to switch and some are not. It seems ppl who are playing healers, support or tank are more willing to switch to benefit the team than DPS and especially defense .
    Though it also seems to be split on your mains: Genjis Hanzos and Widows usually won't but soldiers, Junkrats and Pharahs will.

Usually though it's the one healer in the team that is willing to switch to a tank (and the other way around) still leaving the team vulnerable.
    I switched to Skater boi this morning and yep, it made the round go to us. Unfortunately we lost with 1-3 but the immense difference was almost funny.
    I can't count the number of times in QP, that my team has been getting seriously owned, and I've checked the roster only to find that the person who started as a tank, switched to DPS, and now we have no tank. I usually end up switching to D.Va (because she's easier to carry a dumb team with than the other tanks) and suddenly, we start pushing forward and doing good. Funny how that works.

- L. Long

29. - Top - End - #149

As a zenyatta main I am actually slightly happy people don't take healers as fast as people grab DPS characters.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    His Ult could stand to lock targets a little faster. As it is, you announce your Ult to the entire map, glow like the sun, and have to stand around for a few seconds with a giant "shoot me now" sign over your head. I Kind of get it...it's an insta-kill ult that hits multiple targets, much like D.Va's, and can be blocked by breaking LOS...
    I don't think that's a very good tuning mechanic, to be honest. That axis has the potential to turn it from incredibly weak to unavoidable in very short order, with not much 'sweet spot' in between. I'd be satisfied with a mechanic to keep McCree from dying as a result of just using the damned thing.

Soldier76 is, right now, arguably the strongest offense Hero in the game. He's the default O pick right now, for a reason. He's got great range, damage, and a flexible and strong suite of abilities. His ult isn't as powerful as Genji's, but his regular attacks are far more damaging, with a great deal more reach. He's also pretty easy to pick up.

It's not like Junk or Pharah are switching out 'for the good of the team', it's just that they have hard counters. You can also get people to swap of Genji/Hanzo/Widow if you bring a good Winston or D.va.

The classic is having the Hanzo + Widow + Junkrat combo on your team. Regardless of what else is brought, that's pretty much an auto-lose comp.