New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Do you consider a hamburger a sandwich?

I just watched a let's play where this heated debate came up. What are your thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Do you consider a hamburger a sandwich?

Well, it's ingredients between two pieces of bread. So I'd say yes.
    Unless you mean a hamburger steak, of course.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A sandwich is

A food item consisting of one or more types of food, such as vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type.
    A haumbruger is
    A hamburger or burger is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bread roll or bun. The patty may be pan fried, barbecued, or flame broiled. Hamburgers are often served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion, pickles, or chiles; condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, or "special sauce"; and are frequently placed on sesame seed buns. A hamburger topped with a slice of cheese is called cheeseburger.
    The answer is yes. There's no argument to be had. It's a sandwich.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

There is always argument to be had - because the definitions of words on the internet are subject to the way the words are ordinarily used by most people. Especially true when the "definition" you find may differ depending which localised version of google you use to find it.

I think the word sandwich means something a little different in USA, to other parts of the English speaking world (such as where I am from. In that regard I note that the Wikipedia page on "Sandwich" says this:
    "In the United Kingdom and Australia, the term sandwich is more narrowly defined than in the US: it refers only to an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf. An item with similar fillings, but using an entire bread roll cut horizontally in half, is always referred to as a roll... However, hot sliced (not ground) beef between two slices of toasted bread is referred to as a steak sandwich: it is the sliced loaf bread that distinguishes the steak sandwich from a burger."
    I also know that Subway markets their products as sandwiches in USA, but not where I come from, simply because their product does not come within the normally understood use of the word here.

I wonder if the "heated debate" that Some Android was referring to arose from Americans and non-Americans each forcefully asserting that their differing interpretation of the word "sandwich" was correct.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2017-03-12 at 07:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, I think this is really a regional difference. In American usage, there's no reason not to classify a hamburger as a sandwich; it certainly is at least as much as a sandwich made from a sliced croissant, a sliced bagel, a sliced roll, or any number of other things that are commonly accepted as a "sandwich" here. Further, when looking in the menu in a restaurant, hamburgers are almost always found under the "sandwich" section.

However, that's not the universal definition of it. Personally, I actually feel that the other definition of it quoted above makes more sense, but since that's not how it's used here I'm still in the habit of lumping burgers into the sandwich category.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If somebody asked me directly, as you are doing now, I would answer yes. If somebody asked me if I wanted a sandwich, then came back 20 minutes later with a hamburger, I would be very confused, and possibly annoyed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I personally say yes, but then, I'm American. Granted, even thinking about it, I'm not sure why you'd need multiple words for "bread-->non-bread stuff-->bread thing", when describing the stuff on it is usually more important than kind of bread it's on, much less the style of bread it's on. I wouldn't say "I'd like a rye sandwich with roast beef", I'd say "I'd like a roast beef sandwich on rye"; they both mean the same thing, sure, but one feels a lot more natural.

Of course, this leads into other weirdness, where trademarks give things a non-"sandwich" name, and adding sandwich in sometimes feels more clunky. To use McDonalds as an example, I wouldn't feel too weird ordering a "biscuit sandwich", but I'd probably feel weird ordering a "McGriddle Sandwich". And regardless of the kind of burger, "burger sandwich" feels like completely wrong, even though either one alone would be acceptable ("I'd like a number 3, just the sandwich" or "I'd like a number 3, just the burger" is fine, but "I'd like a number 3, just the burger sandwich" feels UGH).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I wonder if the "heated debate" that Some Android was referring to arose from Americans and non-Americans each forcefully asserting that their differing interpretation of the word "sandwich" was correct.
    Everyone in the "debate" was an American born and raised. (debate starts around 1 hr 27 min)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If we allow a hamburger to be a sandwich then so will be a hot dog in a bun, and that can not be.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

There is always argument to be had - because the definitions of words on the internet are subject to the way the words are ordinarily used by most people. Especially true when the "definition" you find may differ depending which localised version of google you use to find it.

I think the word sandwich means something a little different in USA, to other parts of the English speaking world (such as where I am from. In that regard I note that the Wikipedia page on "Sandwich" says this:

I also know that Subway markets their products as sandwiches in USA, but not where I come from, simply because their product does not come within the normally understood use of the word here.

Just another example of the United States improving the language. Getting rid of useless u's. Making the language less anal about definitions. Really, the United States needs a medal for cleaning up a perfectly serviceable language for the rest of you.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-03-12 at 09:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    If we allow a hamburger to be a sandwich then so will be a hot dog in a bun, and that can not be.
    Seconded.
    Today, it's hamburgers. Tomorrow, hot dogs and sausages; soon enough, pizza is an open-faced sandwich!

Seriously, though, those things surrounding a burger? Yeah, they're not slices of bread. They're two halves of a bun. There is a difference, and I challenge anyone who cares to disagree to a round of fisticuffs!

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Just another example of the United States improving the language. Getting rid of useless u's. Making the language less anal about definitions. Really, the United States needs a metal for cleaning up a perfectly serviceable language for the rest of you.
    What? What?
    Listen here, Yank, I'll have none of that nonsense. Show up late to no less than two wars, and then talk about improving the language? Bah!
    All in jest, of course. Well, except for the part about it being nonsense; I stand by that.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2017-03-12 at 08:30 PM.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Just another example of the United States improving the language. Getting rid of useless u's. Making the language less anal about definitions. Really, the United States needs a metal for cleaning up a perfectly serviceable language for the rest of you.
    You certainly get a metal for unintentional irony.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    What? What?
    Listen here, Yank, I'll have none of that nonsense. Show up late to no less than two wars, and then talk about improving the language? Bah!
    Wie gefällt Ihnen diese Freiheit?

Oh sorry, I figured I should speak to you in the language you would have been speaking if it weren't for us.
    Totally, I don't care if you're wrong about hamburgers not being sandwiches or your funny u's.

You certainly get a metal for unintentional irony.
    I know what I'm about.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-03-12 at 09:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Riddle me this: if I take that same patty of ground beef and used two slices of bread instead of a bun (it happens), is it more or less of a sandwich? If it is ground beef with say taco seasoning and salsa and use bread instead of a tortilla, is it not a sandwich?

Also, when you get or make a meatball sub (sandwich), it's a long loaf of bread that often isn't fully cut in two, so as to attempt to keep at least a little sauce inside the sandwich. How is that loaf of bread significantly different than say quality hotdog buns, other than being larger?

But perhaps most important of all, how great are the lives of people debating what is and is not a sandwich? Because if this is an actual topic requiring debate, then this is the kind of thing that is a step beyond "first world problems."

By the way, I've had a pizza sandwich. Literally a slice of pizza between two slices of bread. Alcohol may have been a factor. Still tasted good.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

What do non-americans call sub sandwiches? It's not two slices from a loaf its an entire loaf.

Sandwich is a general, breadlike object with meat & such (doesnt even really need meat (i.e. PB&J)

A burger is a specific type of sandwich, just like a sub

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    A properly crafted hot dog is not "between" two pieces of bread, but instead resting in a gap in one singular piece of bread, which only becomes two pieces due to mishandling.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Of course a hamburger is a sandwich.

And it's good to know Team Four Star has a fan base.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If somebody asked me directly, as you are doing now, I would answer yes. If somebody asked me if I wanted a sandwich, then came back 20 minutes later with a hamburger, I would be very confused, and possibly annoyed.
    I'm the same - my immediate answer isn't "yes" but "technically, yes", inasmuch as while it fits within the broader definition the term isn't used because of the more specific one. It's like someone describing a square as a quadrilateral - that's absolutely the case, but if you're using that term at all it tends to imply something a little less regular.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    What do non-americans call sub sandwiches? It's not two slices from a loaf its an entire loaf.

Sandwich is a general, breadlike object with meat & such (doesnt even really need meat (i.e. PB&J)

A burger is a specific type of sandwich, just like a sub
    A roll usually.

20. - Top - End - #20

I consider a hamburger to be a specific class of sandwich, although I wouldn't normally think of it that way.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

A roll usually.
    So you would go to Subway & eat a "roll" with swiss & ham on it?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pretty sure yes. For example, my irish friend eat "breakfast roll" which is basically subway sandwich I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_roll

But since subway specifically call their restaurant a "Sandwich restaurant" it'd make sense if you enter there to ask for a sandwich, no need for be pedantic for that.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Pretty sure yes. For example, my irish friend eat "breakfast roll" which is basically subway sandwich I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_roll

But since subway specifically call their restaurant a "Sandwich restaurant" it'd make sense if you enter there to ask for a sandwich, no need for be pedantic for that.
    Wasnt trying to be pedantic. Legitimately asking. I see rolls as small soft tiny bread lumps, I dont visualize them as containing much of anything besides butter. Now my family does use them as tiny sandwiches occationally but this doesnt change my reactive visual being a plain bread lump. So calling a sub a roll is interesting. Especially since I always thought a roll would be round & not cylindrical given its name implies it rolls or was rolled.

Take for example cake, most people visualize soft sweet bread with icing i.e. a birthday cake, not a gram cracker crust & creamy filling like a cheesecake, cheesecake should actually be cheesepie.

Leading back to my first question is, just because it's on a bun & not two slices of bread a burger is still a sandwich in the same way a sub is a sandwich even tough it uses an entire loaf
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2017-03-13 at 02:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I think the word sandwich means something a little different in USA, to other parts of the English speaking world.
    As a Brit, I agree. I would never consider a hamburger to be a sandwich. If it wasn't cooked, it'd be a bun or a bap (or maybe barm) depending on where in the country I was. And yes, the things in Subway are definitely rolls. Or paninis if they're on crusty/French bread. Though I would add that the influence of the Subway chain has led to most people calling their products 'subs'.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, a sandwich can't be cooked. It becomes a toastie if you cook it.

How do you yanks get by with only one word for all these different foodstuffs?
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-03-13 at 02:40 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    As a Brit, I agree. I would never consider a hamburger to be a sandwich. If it wasn't cooked, it'd be a bun or a bap (or maybe barm) depending on where in the country I was. And yes, the things in Subway are definitely rolls. Or paninis if they're on crusty/French bread. Though I would add that the influence of the Subway chain has led to most people calling their products 'subs'.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, a sandwich can't be cooked. It becomes a toastie if you cook it.

I dunno, how do you brits refer to so many things as "Puddings?"

You've got your umbrella term, which is sandwich, and then you've got all the different subgroups. Hoagies, subs, burgers, cheesesteaks, panini, and so, so many more.

And Subway named their chain for the Submarine Sandwich style, AKA a "Sub," not vice versa.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And Subway named their chain for the Submarine Sandwich style, AKA a "Sub," not vice versa.
    Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is, the term wasn't in common use here before Subway cane along. We would have called them 'rolls' before that. Possibly 'submarine roll', but the shortening of that would be 'roll'. And still, if someone said 'sub' to me today, I would assume they meant that one chain specifically.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

As a Brit, I agree. I would never consider a hamburger to be a sandwich. If it wasn't cooked, it'd be a bun or a bap (or maybe barm) depending on where in the country I was.
    Ditto. Also, in British use, "burger" can mean the patty itself ("patty" rarely being used in the UK - I went though most of my life without ever hearing the word). Arguably the roll etc is just what a burger comes in by default.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Amusingly, my language does have originally only one catchall word for all "snack pastry." You know what I mean? Basically stuff you don't eat for an actual meal, there's one catchall for that. It's the equivalent of cake. Amusingly, that means "bread" can be called that depending on what it's for. Like, if you have a loaf of sweet bread you meant to use for your lunch it'll be "bread" but if you're going to eat it for snacking later it'll be a "cake."

Also, old people (in my childhood people used to still do it) call any protein part of a meal "the fish." So if someone ask you in lunch. "What's your fish?" and you answer "chicken." That's a legitimate conversation
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brit here, and yes, I wouldn't consider a hamburger a sandwich. "Sub" wasn't a commonly used phrase here before Subway opened up. If we did consider having an entire loaf cut in half and with fillings before they came along it would almost certainly have been a French stick, and I think it would still have been referred to as that after having the fillings inserted.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I find it very confusing how someone can use words like "bap" and "barm" and "toastie" and yet care that strongly that a hamburger cannot and must not be a sandwich.

Although in retrospect, calling something a panini when it isn't even a pressed, grilled sandwich is probably the most consternating thing here.

Because the differences are much less than you apparently have built up in your head.

Also, please don't actually use that word to refer to us unironically, it just sounds silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide