New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1069 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Wouldn't know about this. I was just referencing a recent thread that someone who insisted that Bards had to play their instruments when casting spells using them as focuses made.
    Whether that is the case or not, in 3.5 a bard does need to use sound to fill the verbal components for their spell, and I believe the language in the SRD allows for playing an instrument as verbal and somatic components for bard spells.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1069 - The Discussion Thread

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11664910

The author does not care about the rules. At all. And yet here he is, caring about the rules.

Don't feel you need to defend him: he doesn't care what people think and doesn't read the forum.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

The comic doesn't need to always follow the rules - but it can still make jokes about the rules, from time to time.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post

The author does not care about the rules. At all. And yet here he is, caring about the rules.

Don't feel you need to defend him: he doesn't care what people think and doesn't read the forum.
    I'm not "defending" him, I'm pointing out that you are reading things that are not there. "He doesn't care about rules accuracy" does not mean "he won't do jokes about the rules". You are angry because you feel he broke a promise he never made.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-03-31 at 02:44 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

You don't need to care about the accuracy of the rules to joke about them

A good number of the jokes in the comic relies on the OotS world working similarly to DnD. It doesn't mean that the Giant has to do the painful job of matching everything that happens with 3.5. It was never about that. It was just about having fun by referencing a game.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-03-31 at 02:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

[...]
    You might as well have just said "I can't support what I claimed," but you managed to also imply that the multiple people who observed that what you'd said was untrue were motivated by wanting to defend the author, so...congratulations, I guess.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Bards cast magic using the power of song and music (or poetry or oratory). That means Elan should be concentrating on singing and playing his lute correctly to generate the magical tones and resonances.
    --
    I think that would have made a better picture: Elan singing and playing his lute one-handed in an intense and determined manner.
    I think Strill would have loved to have you participate in the GiTP 5e forum discussion about bards and musical spell focus requirments.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Though, it'd be more fun to have Elan and Roy trying diplomacy together! Roy using his int mod to tell Elan how to use his cha mod! I can see no way this could go horribly wrong!
    I like the way that you think and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The comic doesn't need to always follow the rules - but it can still make jokes about the rules, from time to time.
    Amen.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-03-31 at 03:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edit: Wrong thread.

Mods, please remove?
    Last edited by Rodin; 2017-03-31 at 04:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

You can delete your own posts.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Lovely pun on the fencing style of sword fighting that Julio taught him.
    Actually that was completely unintentional. I guess I've spent too much time on Tumblr.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I vote for some sort of sword implant for Roy. Or at least one of those swords that can be summoned to his side magically. Heck, maybe that will happen during this fight, and he'll win it by calling the Greenhilt sword to him.

Meanwhile, perhaps Elan can actually, like, help in the fight.
    I have a partial solution for Roy's sword dropping problem. When Roy next levels, Elan can teach him the ways of the bard. Then, the next time Roy drops his sword, he can cast Summon Instrument for a guitar, as an improvised club. Or maybe a tuba - that much metal should do some damage. :)

The above is meant as a joke.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    I have a partial solution for Roy's sword dropping problem. When Roy next levels, Elan can teach him the ways of the bard. Then, the next time Roy drops his sword, he can cast Summon Instrument for a guitar, as an improvised club. Or maybe a tuba - that much metal should do some damage. :)

The above is meant as a joke.
    It better be a joke. Because, obviously, playing a tuba is much more harmful than hitting someone with it.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    So the helium leak is patched, which is good. Which makes me wonder, can the Mechane conjure more from the Elemental Plane of Air and slowly regain lift? Having lost as much as it has, it would take time to get enough to clear the pass, but perhaps the Mechane won't crash, it'll just be forced to anchor until the balloon's filled up, providing time for the mutiny subplot while still leaving the Mechane in the game.
    I'm pretty sure the elemental plane of air doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure it is the elemental plane of helium.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

For the last time Roy, you're supposed to drop your shield, not your sword! Are we going to need Belkar to sit on your shoulders and yell at you about this for the rest of the trip?
    Currently daydreaming about: big giant swords.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

The author keeps insisting that he doesn't make rules jokes any more, and that those are in the past, rules jokes only appeal to a small group of D&D players that is a minority of the current readership, and it's really the story he's interested in.

And then he keeps making rules jokes.
    Oh no, what a calamity. A writer gradually changes the focus of his humor over a fourteen year long story and occasionally dips back into the humor the story originally focused on? Call the police, no the National Guard! This must be stopped!

But seriously, why do you care? Even if Rich actually meant he will never do a rules joke again, which I guarantee he did not, those words aren't legally binding. He can change his mind whenever he wants, so what's it to you?
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2017-03-31 at 09:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

New comic is up.
    This makes me happy because I feel like Rich read my posts from 1068 and this comic was almost in response to what I wrote.

I don't think that is true. But it is a nice coincidence.

Spoiler: Prediction
    Show
    Still betting on a Hold Monster from Elan here... 11 tries to get a mending right, but when his BFF is in danger he can pull out the big guns.

So if you're reading this one too, Rich, I hope you have a nice weekend.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Banned

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Oh no, what a calamity. A writer gradually changes the focus of his humor over a fourteen year long story and occasionally dips back into the humor the story originally focused on? Call the police, no the National Guard! This must be stopped!

But seriously, why do you care? Even if Rich actually meant he will never do a rules joke again, which I guarantee he did not, those words aren't legally binding. He can change his mind whenever he wants, so what's it to you?
    Why do you care about why does he care? What's it to you?

18. - Top - End - #168

Possibly the posts come across as attacking the author - hence, indignant response.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now there's a fight about the Giant making jokes based on the D&D rules? Why?
    And when did he say he wouldn't anymore?

All I remember is a post where he said he won't bend the story to fit the rules.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    And when did he say he wouldn't anymore?
    Nowhere. Finagle already indicated that they were twisting "doesn't care about moment-to-moment rules accuracy" into "doesn't make rules jokes anymore."

21. - Top - End - #171

The closest to it I've found is:

I have virtually no interest in spending time spoofing the D&D rules anymore, especially since the rules the comic originally ran on were superseded years ago (and stand to be superseded again next year by 5th Edition). It simply doesn't interest me as a creator anymore; I have nothing left to say about it.

Basically, it comes down to a choice between moving OOTS away from D&D jokes, or ending OOTS and starting something different altogether. I'm not done with these characters yet, so I chose the former. But bringing back more tired jokes about skill points or feats or whatever is simply not in the cards. I did that, for a long time. I'm doing something else now.
    And with that "virtually" - it allows for the occasional rules-spoofing moment.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Soooo, plot twist idea,

The one the Giantess Bonds with once initial combat hostility's are cooled off (Pun not intended for the love of decency leave that one alone.) is Belkar, so much so that she winds up joining the party and becoming a PC! And we find out the reason she fights so well is she was a cleric, she just wasn't using obvious spells at the time cause she used it all up on pre combat buffs!
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eesh, bunch of whiners. Always gotta whine about something.

Rules jokes will never get tired, though. I don't even play 3.5 anymore, I haven't in ages. Honestly, making jokes about its quirky rules just makes it vintage. Adds a little hint of "haha, yea, we played by some funky rules back then" nostalgia and appreciation to the strip. It's also a reminder of why we were drawn to this comic to begin with.

I used to read some other D&D related comics that have since "evolved" away from D&D. I don't read them anymore. Their authors baited me with a common interest, only to switch it for things I care little about.

And it's not even some obscure rule that one needs to have been a total 3.5 rules lawyer to understand (though those are fine too!), the joke is completely obvious to anyone who doesn't know anything about 3.5, because the joke explains itself. Elan literally says there's a bunch of game debuffs that would be hard to visually distinguish, there's nothing more to it. One doesn't need to know what the difference between "dazed" and "dazzled" is to appreciate it.

How can people even be annoyed over this?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh I think we're also suppose to discuss about which status Roy has...

Staggered doesn't make any sense since he hasn't received any non-lethal damage, everything we've seen has been lethal.

So I'll go with she has a homebrew version of crushing blow feat that applies to her axe... resulting in him being stunned. He dropped his weapon (again, lulz) so that fits.

This strip answers...
    that Elan didn't fall
    how many rounds (not turns folks!) it has been
    that at least somebody on the crew had the mind to help
    that she (the giant) doesn't really know the consequences... panel 3... interesting foreshadowing there...

25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    Oh I think we're also suppose to discuss about which status Roy has...

Staggered doesn't make any sense since he hasn't received any non-lethal damage, everything we've seen has been lethal.

So I'll go with she has a homebrew version of crushing blow feat that applies to her axe... resulting in him being stunned. He dropped his weapon (again, lulz) so that fits.

This strip answers...
    that Elan didn't fall
    how many rounds (not turns folks!) it has been
    that at least somebody on the crew had the mind to help
    that she (the giant) doesn't really know the consequences... panel 3... interesting foreshadowing there...
    Hmm, you are right. Elan forgot to add "Disabled" to the list. Had to look it up, I thought "disabled" gave the actual staggered debuff, but it's instead a similar albeit worse one. I'm pretty sure there are other ways than nonlethal to get staggered though, no?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

26. - Top - End - #176

Of course. There are always exceptions to the rules, and then there are exceptions to the exceptions.

It's like professionals never looked the system over...

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Of course. There are always exceptions to the rules, and then there are exceptions to the exceptions.
    I'm pretty sure that defines most legal systems equally well.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's like professionals never looked the system over...
    Or consistency wasn't the primary goal of the professionals looking the system over.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Too bad such rules aren't designed with a someone having some kind of arbitration power to solve such litigious cases and other oversights bound to happen when you make a system supposed to cover everything that we can imagine and then some more just in case we forgot.
    Wait...
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Or consistency wasn't the primary goal of the professionals looking the system over.
    There seem to be assumptions made that there actually exists a highly consistent system that would not be rejected. Inconsistencies can exist because anything but an inconsistent compromise would be vetoed by key stakeholders.

It is a standard thing that law professors will teach 1Ls (first year law students) with the Socratic Method, and find a student who will paint him/herself into a corner with their own overly consistent arguments to a result somewhere in the neighborhood of "uh, yeah, all people who cause a death are murderers and should be executed".