New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What's the differnece between alternate class features and substitution levels?

I'm a Pathfinder player nowadays, but I was recently leafing through my old 3.x PDFs and found substitiution levels in one book and alternate class features in another. Are theses functionally the same thing? Becuase they seem to me from my angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's the differnece between alternate class features and substitution levels?

They're very similar; the main difference is a Substitution Level can have changes to the base chassis stats, as well - for example, having a different size Hit Die or different skill point allotment than the 'standard' level. ACFs also tend to be available to any member of the appropriate class, while substitution levels are often racially associated; while any Fighter can be a Dungeoncrasher Fighter, only a Warforged Fighter can take the Warforged Fighter substitutions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's the differnece between alternate class features and substitution levels?

For completeness, there are also variant classes; like the Thug fighter. There is also a difference in the timing of when you can pick them; i.e. in order you can choose a variant class when first entering, elect to take a substitution level at the right level(s), and lastly ACFs.

Variant classes can be chosen by anyone and just give different features, substitution levels tend to have racial or affiliation requirements and you can only pick one per level at most, and ACFs tend to only have skill requirements (if any requirements at all) and you can pick multiple at a given level.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There are some minor differences:
    You can have multiple ACFs at a single level, but can't have multiple substitution levels at a single level.
    You can pick different substitution levels each level, but you can't change which variant class you chose.

However as long as you follow the golden rule of ACFs (you can't trade what you don't have) then there is no issue with just handwaving them as all ACFs.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2017-07-30 at 01:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

3.5's substitution levels are sorta like PF's archetypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    For completeness, there are also variant classes; like the Thug fighter. There is also a difference in the timing of when you can pick them; i.e. in order you can choose a variant class when first entering, elect to take a substitution level at the right level(s), and lastly ACFs.

Variant classes can be chosen by anyone and just give different features, substitution levels tend to have racial or affiliation requirements and you can only pick one per level at most, and ACFs tend to only have skill requirements (if any requirements at all) and you can pick multiple at a given level.
    For more completeness, there are actually two types of ACFs:

1. Alternative Class Features (which are presented in plenty of books as part of a class-specific option), and...
    2. Class Feature Variants, which are often lumped into ACFs, but are in fact class-agnostic; as long as you have the ability to swap you can swap for it, so you can get any standard class with the ability and have that work.