New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    that was easy, almost as easy as saying that a wizard is better then a monk (assuming similar levels of optimization)
    Well, +5 means that they won't get 9th-level spells(not that Druid 9ths are that good except for Shapechange), and +1 means they're at the same ECL as a 7th-level Druid. So yeah, I guess that part was easy.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #692

Will say, all this discussion as made me wanna try out a Druid character some time.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Will say, all this discussion as made me wanna try out a Druid character some time.
    Druids are pretty nifty. It would be especially fun to be a tibbit druid. You'd be a cat that can turn into a halfling that can turn into animals. :p

Lycanthrope tibbit druid! :O
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Druids are pretty nifty. It would be especially fun to be a tibbit druid. You'd be a cat that can turn into a halfling that can turn into animals. :p

Lycanthrope tibbit druid! :O
    By Gygax's dice, that's hilarious.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

I don't want to stir up any more arguments, but I'd like to comment on before our next entry:

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I incidentally agree with a higher LA than +2 - maybe +3, more likely +4. Comparing to a high-OP druid who makes good use of wild shape to turn into ridiculous forms isn't the best way you can go about this, even if druid is the best comparison point in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    It would be if you were looking at tree climbing ability. Should LA be based on general ability or their most similar role? I think it should be general ability. Not everyone will want to do the obvious. There are different specializations in all kinds of ways for a variety of PC classes just as with monsters.
    Bless you both (and also TotallyNotEvil), I don't feel so much like an island now.

I normally try to be flexible and accept other's viewpoints, but I kinda irks me when some people just can't accept "agree to disagree" as an outcome, and keep replying with comments to the effect of "You're stupid, and you're doing it wrong!".

Also slightly OT, I feel like this forum is, in general, becoming a little bit less friendly as a community recently. If I've contributed to that, I apologize.

6. - Top - End - #696

I would say that there was no much in the way of 'You're stupid, and you're doing it wrong!' posts. Simply a lot of people who significantly disagreed on the power of the Druid's Wildshape and Animal Companion class features.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

I would say that there was no much in the way of 'You're stupid, and you're doing it wrong!' posts. Simply a lot of people who significantly disagreed on the power of the Druid's Wildshape and Animal Companion class features.
    At the risk of reigniting the debate, just as a matter of record, I was never actually disagreeing with anyone on the power level of Druids - I was simply disagreeing with the methodology of using them as a baseline for LA.

I always make an effort to try and be polite when in a debate with people on forums, I just felt that courtesy wasn't being returned in some cases. It can sometimes be easy to misread tone or intent in a text-only medium, however. Perhaps I was being somewhat thin-skinned.

8. - Top - End - #698

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I was simply disagreeing with the methodology of using them as a baseline for LA.
    Noted. Though I do think you were in the minority in that regard.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Holy crap, guys. I leave this thread alone for one afternoon and this happens?
    I agree. I have my own opinions, but I wouldn't express them even if it wasn't for the quoted post, because I do not want to get involved in this crap. And I'm normally all for a good debate.
    This was not that.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Ogre

Like most giants, ogres are brutes interesting only for being high-strength humanoids. Unlike most giants, ogres have sufficiently few RHD (4, to be precise) to be still somewhat interesting as PCs. Their HD are poor, their stats reasonably good, and their advancement possibilities reasonable.

To be honest, it seems to me as if ogres are too strong for +0 LA, but too weak for +1. +0 will put them at an offensive advantage even when compared to mineral warrior water orcs (as well as a HD-based one), but +1 would be overcompensating for its stats: a moderately optimized goliath barbarian would be at a significant advantage in such a case.

In the end, I'm going to assign +0 LA. While ogres may be initially on the stronger side, this LA will make for more balanced PCs over the course of a campaign. If your game uses LA buyoff, I recommend +1 instead.

Discuss away!

Also, ogre mages are next.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Banned

I think the CR lower than HD - and IME a pretty fair CR - says a lot, and I'm pretty sure that anything above +0 is pretty hard to justify. You lose a point of base attack bonus and four levels of class features, as well as practically all your skill points, and in return you get some strength and con and are bigger (though being bigger isn't strictly beneficial).

(Also, am I the only one who thinks that the artist's signature looks like "Fish", followed by a skeletal fish, and is wondering just how deliberate or otherwise that is?)

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

Ogres are just so incredibly boring. Yeah, strength and size are nice, but that's all they are getting. Class features are better. +0 is fair.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd agree with +0. They've got good racial modifiers for Strength (+10) and Con (+4), but Dex -2, Int -4, and Cha -4.
    Those penalties hurt - and limit how much they can benefit from going into the non-Core martial types that have class features that are powered by mental ability scores.

Their only option for casting is Wis (+0), and that means going Divine, but they're 4 levels behind, and have a Cha penalty, reducing their options with Cleric (ie, turning and DMM), and their physical ability scores are good enough that Wild Shape doesn't help them as much until the higher/later level Wild Shape options, which they're behind on.

I could even see a marginal case for -0, as they're got subpar RHD, and relatively poor options for class levels, which they're 4 levels behind on anyways.

But +0 is fair, and hard to argue that it should be anything else.

--

The artist's signature looks like "Fisch", then the fish skeleton.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

I think the CR lower than HD - and IME a pretty fair CR - says a lot, and I'm pretty sure that anything above +0 is pretty hard to justify. You lose a point of base attack bonus and four levels of class features, as well as practically all your skill points, and in return you get some strength and con and are bigger (though being bigger isn't strictly beneficial).

(Also, am I the only one who thinks that the artist's signature looks like "Fish", followed by a skeletal fish, and is wondering just how deliberate or otherwise that is?)
    Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post

The artist's signature looks like "Fisch", then the fish skeleton.
    ....Hahaha, I had no idea 5hat artisymt did this artwork. It's the signature of a guy who seems pretty cool to me named Scott M. Fischer.

http://www.fischart.com/ here's his website. I got a few Magic: The Gathering cards signed by him.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I haven't actually participated in this thread yet, but I've been lurking the whole time.

I'm curious about the comparison between the ogre and the centaur. I would have pegged the two as pretty equal for use in melee builds, but you felt the centaur was worth a higher starting ECL. The standout ability for the centaur seems to be the damage benefits with the lance; then I guess a series of minor comparison points favor the centaur (monstrous humanoid is somewhat better than giant, ogre's mental stats and Dex suffer, increased carrying capacity, etc). On the other hand, the ogre has a few things going for it: reach, more natural armor, and slightly better Strength. Most of the other stuff is pretty equivalent.

I mean, I agree that the centaur is the better option overall, but do you think the difference is dramatic enough to warrant a difference in starting ECL?
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-06-20 at 03:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

The Str and Con boosts are nice for melee, as is large size. +5 natural AC isn't shabby.

But the hits to Int and Cha are pretty severe, and giant HD aren't good (medium BAB and one good save).

If you were to go Cleric (or other Wis based caster), you'll never be getting 9ths (without shenanigans) due to your RHD.

I can live with LA +0 here.

Looking forward to Ogre Mages - one of my sentimental favourites. The got hosed in the CR stakes, maybe we can do better by them with LA.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2017-06-20 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typos

17. - Top - End - #707
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, that's deliberate. His name is Scott Fischer, and he adds the fishbones to his signature in his other art, too.

Oops, ninja'd. That's what I get for jumping on the art-related comment without finishing the replies.
    Last edited by RedWarlock; 2017-06-20 at 07:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Barbarian in the Playground

Signature does look like a fish.

On the note of Ogres: +10 str and +5 NA is VERY nice, but it's overall only a +4 to stat total and giant RHD suck. d8 HP, Good Fort, 3/4 BaB and 2 skill points a level, if you have 14+ Int before than penalty bombs it out of existence.

LA +0 for sure, it might even be on the edge of LA -0 if it wasn't for the +10 Str and Large size giving them at least some lolwut niche in wielding massive weapons.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I haven't actually participated in this thread yet, but I've been lurking the whole time.

I'm curious about the comparison between the ogre and the centaur. I would have pegged the two as pretty equal for use in melee builds, but you felt the centaur was worth a higher starting ECL. The standout ability for the centaur seems to be the damage benefits with the lance; then I guess a series of minor comparison points favor the centaur (monstrous humanoid is somewhat better than giant, ogre's mental stats and Dex suffer, increased carrying capacity, etc). On the other hand, the ogre has a few things going for it: reach, more natural armor, and slightly better Strength. Most of the other stuff is pretty equivalent.

I mean, I agree that the centaur is the better option overall, but do you think the difference is dramatic enough to warrant a difference in starting ECL?
    I agree the two seem pretty close, but Races of Faerun has a rule that puts centaurs majorly ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by RoF, page 132
    Racial Feats: None, but centaurs can acquire the Spirited Charge and Trample feats (ignoring the prerequisites) and apply the benefits to their own melee attacks.
    That's right: Spirited Charge without prerequisites. That means that for the low, low, cost of one feat, centaurs can take what's essentially Headlong Rush, but better.

Sure, a normal character could take spirited charge, but that means getting a mount which cost money to purchase, equip and maintain, and can easily be killed, controlled, or incapacitated. Not to mention that this normal character would have spent two reasonably useless feats on the prerequisites already.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I always forget that Ogres are Giants. I always think they're Monstrous Humanoids. Which, amusingly, is probably a better chassis than Giant.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    I always forget that Ogres are Giants. I always think they're Monstrous Humanoids. Which, amusingly, is probably a better chassis than Giant.
    Monstrous humanoids have full BAB, so probably.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never understood why giants and humanoids are different types. Does charm person have a "you must be this short" clause in it somewhere?
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I've never understood why giants and humanoids are different types. Does charm person have a "you must be this short" clause in it somewhere?
    Well, it could have some biological reason - which is why Charm Monster is higher; it has to work on all monsters regardless of creature type.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Well, it could have some biological reason - which is why Charm Monster is higher; it has to work on all monsters regardless of creature type.
    I might find that more plausible if there were more Medium giants and Large humanoids and so on, but every giant is large+ and every humanoid is medium-. It's just weird.

Of course, creature types are kinda arbitrary in the first place...but these are more arbitrary than most.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, humanoid/giant/monstrous humanoid I'd completely arbitrary. There are really only minor cosmetic differences between them.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Monstrous humanoid I can understand; they're like the magical beast to humanoids' animal.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Monstrous humanoid I can understand; they're like the magical beast to humanoids' animal.
    Lizardfolk, gnolls, and troglodytes are all humanoid, while minotaurs and harpies are monstrous humanoid. Seems rather arbitrary to me.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

I might find that more plausible if there were more Medium giants and Large humanoids and so on, but every giant is large+ and every humanoid is medium-. It's just weird.

Of course, creature types are kinda arbitrary in the first place...but these are more arbitrary than most.
    Actually, there's at least one giant that's naturally medium, and dragon magazine gave us a Large humanoid, the quinametin (issue 317, page 65).

If your game doesn't use dragon magazine, that's even better. In that case, the various Shinomen nagas from Oriental Adventures never got updated, meaning there exist a few Large and even one Huge humanoid race.

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that Pathfinder made giant into a humanoid subtype, which certainly makes sense.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Lizardfolk, gnolls, and troglodytes are all humanoid, while minotaurs and harpies are monstrous humanoid. Seems rather arbitrary to me.
    I never said it was perfect in practice, just that the categories themselves made some sense. (And the divisions between animal and magical beast get muddled sometimes...)

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Actually, there's at least one giant that's naturally medium, and dragon magazine gave us a Large humanoid, the quinametin (issue 317, page 65).
    Oh.
    Weird that it only shows up there.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic