New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

[Face-Down in Gravel]

Sam adopts a sad, awkward smile, and tries to give Leslie a big quadruple-arm bear-hug.
    "I'm so sorry, Miss. But you're in another plane of existence. So uh, welcome to your new home. Hugs." he says, trying to be as nice as possible.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

*hrk*

Taken by surprise, Leslie is hugged and lifted off the ground pretty easily. She's kind of squishy.

To her, it's clear that this kid still doesn't know his own strength. Between the tight squeeze and the smell of ozone she can barely breathe. She holds the hug for a second to be polite, but quickly has to push Sam away.

"Ah... Thanks... But, what? You mean, like, a religious thing?"

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face Down in Gravel]

Sam blinks in confusion. "Religious? Huh? No, I mean like another dimension. World. Plane. That sort of thing. Not yours." he says, wiggling his hands trying to get his point across.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

Between his hand gestures and his accent, this kind of feels like getting a lecture from Dr. Who. Leslie stumbles silently as a coffee shop patron pushes past her on his way to the crosswalk.

"Another... you mean, like, that other world? That's really... but, that would explain... okay... okay, wow!" She raises one hand to rub her temple. "So, that's, ah... does this happen... often? You guessed it really rather quickly."

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face Down in Gravel]

Sam would tell her that that's not his/her name if she voiced that opinion. Though then he'd wonder why as he's never watched that show. Has he?
    "I read a magazine once that said it statistically happens every two minutes, somewhere. I'm a native myself, though." it does put into question her impression of Sam being twelve or younger.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lazorath View Post
    [The library]

"Hello," Veya smiles as her eyes light up in excitement at the adorable green creature, "we're looking for books on beasts within Nexus that contain power cores which can be used as a power source. The core would have to be fairly powerful so the beasts we're looking for would likely be older, possibly even ancient," Veya describes whilst occasionally looking to Mia in case she missed something.
    [The library]
    ((Sorry, I missed it. You can note me OOC if I takke more then two days.))

Mia appears normal. Nothing missing.

The creature nods and starts flowiong down the floor.
    "Do you got more informations?" it says. "Like a homeworld you know them from or such? I think there might be at least 131 books with creatures that Type. Many got the same creatures in it so the amount of possible creatures is around 10."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

"Every two... well, I guess it's an average, so I guess if it was usually between zero and three and then occasionally a whole city was swallowed up or something, then... no, it's still a lot!" Leslie scratches her head. She can intuit that Sam isn't just pulling her leg here, but something still seems to be missing. "So, why wouldn't... oh! I guess it's not just my world, right? I mean, there are a ton of different shadow worlds, and I guess it would be weird if just the two were inhabited..."

Leslie looks up again, apparently satisfied with having worked it out this far. "Okay! So, given all of that... and given what you were just trying to tell me before I derailed you... thanks for being patient, by the way... I guess I'm here now."

She pauses. Her eyes seem vacant.

"...what should I do?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-09-04 at 06:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face-Down in Gravel]

Sam folds both pairs of arms, pondering.
    "Well last time this happened I showed Alfred and his pokemon around the city, we got milkshakes, went to a pawn shop, and then found him a house to rent. I could do that, or we could just go to Trog's and get you a room." suggests the big blue spigre.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [The library]
    ((Sorry, I missed it. You can note me OOC if I takke more then two days.))

Mia appears normal. Nothing missing.

The creature nods and starts flowiong down the floor.
    "Do you got more informations?" it says. "Like a homeworld you know them from or such? I think there might be at least 131 books with creatures that Type. Many got the same creatures in it so the amount of possible creatures is around 10."
    ((Will do Zefir ))

Veya takes a moment as her mind sifts through the very few places she's been to seeing as this was her only adventure outside Gilendrier.
    "Well I haven't been to too many places, but my father went on many adventures, and told me tales of his quests. There was said to be a place within Nexus known as The Scrier? I'm not even certain if it exists anymore, but based on what I've learnt of the Nexus, it shouldn't be too far from Vigil.
    When my father travelled their with his garrison he described it as a kingdom that had been withered down to a small village in a matter of nights. Only a handful of civilians reside there now because of the beasts that overthrew their kingdom, destroying everything in its path."

The entire time she speaks she does so with the utmost fear, and worry in her eyes, almost as though she thought it best not to tell them of the village.

"Would there be any books on this, or any other place nearby with such beasts?"

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

"Alfred...? You've done this before? Actually, I guess that really isn't too surprising..." Leslie still seems blank, but at least she's somewhat collected. "Anyway, thank you; that sounds good. The room, I mean. I don't think we need a whole house. I am also going to need to earn a line of credit somehow, but we can figure that out later..."

She quietly lets the spigre lead the way for a bit.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-09-05 at 10:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    Blue Zone Markets

"O-oh. Oh all right. I'm sorry." Naku replies, looking down somewhat ashamed. "Y-you're welcome though. It was. It was silly to offer. I'm sure you've got it."

"It's fairly fun. And really quiet. There's noooo body else up there."
    "You have nothing to apologize for, you are kind to offer." Iamar looked away from Naku for a second or two, up at the rooftops. "I do not know that it would be for me, I would be far too worried about slipping and breaking my bones to focus on the quiet."

12. - Top - End - #732

[Intersection Headquarters]

There's an official teleportation arrival pad in front of the HQ.

Why wouldn't there be?

Teleportation isn't exactly an uncommon means of moving things around in the Nexus and it only makes sense to use it here, too. But you don't want anyone just teleporting into the building! That's potentially a problem. So you just set up an official teleportation reception area. Nice and simple.

With a dull WHUMP! of displaced air, Geneva Richards appears, likely along with Gary the very out of place American World War Two solider. As soon as they appear, Geneva wobbles a bit. "Hoo, that always leaves me feeling a little loopy afterward."

Hopefully Gary isn't too nauseated by the trip.

That happens sometimes.

"Well, that's the Intersection headquarters," she says, gesturing toward the large building. "They oversee the various security forces of the City. I'm not totally sure how the application process works... but I suppose you could ask inside?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post

There's an official teleportation arrival pad in front of the HQ.

Why wouldn't there be?

Teleportation isn't exactly an uncommon means of moving things around in the Nexus and it only makes sense to use it here, too. But you don't want anyone just teleporting into the building! That's potentially a problem. So you just set up an official teleportation reception area. Nice and simple.

With a dull WHUMP! of displaced air, Geneva Richards appears, likely along with Gary the very out of place American World War Two solider. As soon as they appear, Geneva wobbles a bit. "Hoo, that always leaves me feeling a little loopy afterward."

Hopefully Gary isn't too nauseated by the trip.

That happens sometimes.

"Well, that's the Intersection headquarters," she says, gesturing toward the large building. "They oversee the various security forces of the City. I'm not totally sure how the application process works... but I suppose you could ask inside?"
    Gary let's out a sigh if relief when he sees that he isn't dead. He then let's go of Geneva's hand and says "Thanks for going out of your way to help me. I hope you get something out of your research. In the meantime, I'll try to see if I can get a job here." and with that, Gary starts to head inside

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    He is wearing a uniform and has an M1 Garand with a bayonet slung over his shoulder. On his back, he is wearing a backpackand on his sleeves are various insignia, but the most notable is one that looks like a green compass with what appears to be a blunted 5 pointed star on each end that is on his right arm. In a holster, he is carrying a 1911 and on his head he is wearing a green helmet. He has black hair and brown eyes and appears to have not shaven in about a week. His clothes are also covered in mud and appear to be wet
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-09-06 at 05:27 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

14. - Top - End - #734

[Intersection HQ]

Geneva in fact follows the solider into the lobby. The lobby, as it happens, is more or less what one would expect from a big-city police precinct. Though way more near-future scifi and way less noir detective tales. Geneva will wave at the receptionist. "Hello, this is mister Gary Davidson, a recent castaway to the Nexus. He was hoping to be able to enlist with Intersection."

Though she's still not sure why he didn't want to go back to the farm.

Aside, of course, from farms being pretty boring most of the time.

And/or hard work all of the time.

But it isn't Geneva's job to decide what someone else's job is!

Right now, it's just her (not job?) to help a newcomer settle in.

Seems like the neighborly thing to do.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

Geneva in fact follows the solider into the lobby. The lobby, as it happens, is more or less what one would expect from a big-city police precinct. Though way more near-future scifi and way less noir detective tales. Geneva will wave at the receptionist. "Hello, this is mister Gary Davidson, a recent castaway to the Nexus. He was hoping to be able to enlist with Intersection."

Though she's still not sure why he didn't want to go back to the farm.

Aside, of course, from farms being pretty boring most of the time.

And/or hard work all of the time.

But it isn't Geneva's job to decide what someone else's job is!

Right now, it's just her (not job?) to help a newcomer settle in.

Seems like the neighborly thing to do.
    Having no idea what to do, Gary says to the receptionist "Corporal Gary Davidson of the 4th Infantry Division of the United States Army. I heard that you are hiring people on as guards. Do you know who I would need to talk to?"
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    [Face-down in Gravel]

"Alfred...? You've done this before? Actually, I guess that really isn't too surprising..." Leslie still seems blank, but at least she's somewhat collected. "Anyway, thank you; that sounds good. The room, I mean. I don't think we need a whole house. I am also going to need to earn a line of credit somehow, but we can figure that out later..."

She quietly lets the spigre lead the way for a bit.
    [Face-Down in Gravel]

Sam nods. He wants to take her hand but that's probably not appropriate or whatever even if she understands that he's just a touchy guy. Either way, he'll lead her to Trog's. Or at least that direction.

Intersection HQ

The receptionist turns their way. Where once was only a shadow, a vague impression of someone with no description at all, there is now an NPC.

Funny how people only really exist when PC's need them.

In this case, the receptionist is a portly tiger-lady, claws clicking against the desk.
    "Well, dearie. You look and smell like you're fresh off the rift. Generally we like to take police recruits-" she uses the term gently, as a correction as opposed to chiding the man's error. "Who have gotten some acclamation to the Nexus first. We need to make sure they can handle the place. You should really get some living arrangements before you skip straight to a job." she suggests.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Face-Down in Gravel]

Sam nods. He wants to take her hand but that's probably not appropriate or whatever even if she understands that he's just a touchy guy. Either way, he'll lead her to Trog's. Or at least that direction.

Intersection HQ

The receptionist turns their way. Where once was only a shadow, a vague impression of someone with no description at all, there is now an NPC.

Funny how people only really exist when PC's need them.

In this case, the receptionist is a portly tiger-lady, claws clicking against the desk.
    "Well, dearie. You look and smell like you're fresh off the rift. Generally we like to take police recruits-" she uses the term gently, as a correction as opposed to chiding the man's error. "Who have gotten some acclamation to the Nexus first. We need to make sure they can handle the place. You should really get some living arrangements before you skip straight to a job." she suggests.
    Gary says "I understand, ma'am. Have a good day." With that, Gary looks at Geneva and says "Do you know any other places that would hire me?"

18. - Top - End - #738

[Intersection HQ]

But so many apartments only take applications if you have a steady income! It's a vicious cycle.

Of course, there are a few places around the Nexus that will provide temporary housing for castaways to give them time to get on their feet.

Geneva wrinkles her nose at that question. "Well... there are always the classifieds?"

Nothing like a good ol' newspaper to appraise someone of employment opportunities!

"But I think Betty is right-"

Uh oh. Now the NPC has a name.

"-you should probably find somewhere to stay first. There are quite a few charity organizations around the Nexus dedicated to helping newcomers settle in."

Typically they're a pretty hand-wave-y sort of thing. But wouldn't the Hero's Hearth fall under that category?

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

But so many apartments only take applications if you have a steady income! It's a vicious cycle.

Of course, there are a few places around the Nexus that will provide temporary housing for castaways to give them time to get on their feet.

Geneva wrinkles her nose at that question. "Well... there are always the classifieds?"

Nothing like a good ol' newspaper to appraise someone of employment opportunities!

"But I think Betty is right-"

Uh oh. Now the NPC has a name.

"-you should probably find somewhere to stay first. There are quite a few charity organizations around the Nexus dedicated to helping newcomers settle in."

Typically they're a pretty hand-wave-y sort of thing. But wouldn't the Hero's Hearth fall under that category?
    Gary says "Understood. I'll go search for one such organization." He starts to walk out, but then stops and turns around to Geneva and says "Do you know any off the top of your head?"

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

Leslie follows in silence for a bit, staring at nothing in particular. A few of the other pedestrians catch her eye. Pointed ears, tails, fangs, horns, wings. It doesn't seem uncommon here! People must have been getting these alterations for a long time, legally or otherwise. Up in the sky, she catches sight of some gulls. A man in a tank top walks a tiny dog down the sidewalk. They're not too different from the ones back home. A little more beige, maybe. She's not sure what she was expecting.

Meanwhile, Sam almost looks less comfortable than she does. He doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands. This observation prompts Leslie to suddenly realize that her own hands have been busily fidgeting with the tail of her white coat this whole time. She cuts it out and tries again to start up a conversation.

"Actually, I had some genetic modifications, too. My parents did it before I was born. Nothing as major as yours, ah, obviously, but it was back when it was new, for them. Telomere lengthening, disease screening. They tried an experimental insertion to get me to bond with monsters better, but I think all it did was give me social anxiety, heehee."

"Ah, anyway, if this is that other plane of existence... you have animals here that are made of the same stuff as humans, right? Ah! Is that how they found compatible code for so many people? It looks like half of everyone here has at least a little cat-ear inserted."

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Face Down in Gravel

Sam looks confused. "Oh, this wasn't a modification. This was an entirely separate body created from scratch with a copy of my brain from my original self. What do you mean when you keep saying "that" other plane?" he asks her.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-Down in Gravel]

"Huh? Oh! Shoot, right, I guess you wouldn't... okay, I'll try to explain!"

"So, where I'm from, the world is basically full of monsters called Pokémon. I guess you already know about those. So, among them, we have cat Pokémon, dog Pokémon, bull Pokémon and so forth... except, we don't have cats, dogs, or bulls to compare them to. Those concepts were brought over by humans who came in from someplace else - someplace where we evolved separately from regular monsters. Someplace like this! We have some cultures that are entirely based on a prior connection your world. Language, science... we even have some old TV shows from here, I'm pretty sure. We just don't know how we first came from here to there or when that might have been."

"Ah... am I making any sense at all?"

23. - Top - End - #743

[Intersection HQ]

Geneva frowns. "I'm afraid I can't be much help there, sorry. I haven't looked into that sort of thing very much. I think there's somewhere called Heroes Hearth? And Inari's Temple helps with that sort of thing, too."

Though Fenric may be a bit indisposed at the moment.

"I hope you'll be able to find a place for yourself here. Or, barring that, manage to stumble your way back home. That does happen every now and again."

Super uncommon, though.

But Geneva doesn't want to dash the man's hopes.

Destroying someone's hope isn't a very nice thing to do.

"I'll need to be going soon myself. I still have plenty of work to do."

EG, more nerdy stuff. Because she's a giant nerd.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

Geneva frowns. "I'm afraid I can't be much help there, sorry. I haven't looked into that sort of thing very much. I think there's somewhere called Heroes Hearth? And Inari's Temple helps with that sort of thing, too."

Though Fenric may be a bit indisposed at the moment.

"I hope you'll be able to find a place for yourself here. Or, barring that, manage to stumble your way back home. That does happen every now and again."

Super uncommon, though.

But Geneva doesn't want to dash the man's hopes.

Destroying someone's hope isn't a very nice thing to do.

"I'll need to be going soon myself. I still have plenty of work to do."

EG, more nerdy stuff. Because she's a giant nerd.
    Gary says "Alright, thanks for getting me this far." and leaves for the exit.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Blood Moon] - Landfill

The hooves hit the rat-monster, causing it to fall on the ground and hiss. But the wings change shape as it does so, becoming grasping appendages that try go grab the legs, even as their owner is flat on the cobbles.
    [Blood Moon] - Landfill

The great white stag twists and whinnies in panic and rage. It dances a couple of concrete-cracking steps back on just two legs, then tries to twist it's body away and bound clear across the street.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face Down in Gravel]

Sam tilts his head. "I mean, that makes sense, but this isn't that place. Or your shows would be even weirder. You'd get all our sitcoms about dragons and the kitsune newscasters. So yeah. Different place." he says, scratching an ear.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

"Yeah, maybe. It is different than I thought. But then, I've never really thought about it much! It was as though it wasn't a real place, you know?"

Going on that long-winded explanation seems to have calmed Leslie down. She's actually smiling now.

"So, what is this place called, anyway? I mean, the world, but also the city, country..."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face Down in Gravel]

Sam's eyes widen. "Oh, right. Ahem." he clears his throat, taking a step back and spreading his arms wide.
    "Welcome to the city of Inside, heart of the Nexus. Enjoy your stay." he declares proudly.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

[Face-down in Gravel]

"Inside, huh? Cool. I guess I won't have any trouble remembering it, heehee."

"So, you said you work in the Lotus Gardens, right? Where's that?"

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

[Face-Down in the Gravel]

"Oh, that's in Riverside, the next city over. It's real nice. Little...loose, I guess? I worked there for a while but now I commute. Got a more low-key gig. Not as fancy, but it makes me feel better." he says with one of his patented double-shrugs.