New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

*If I am a GOO Bladelock, my pact weapon may not be named Mind Screwdriver
    ** Especially if it is a screwdriver
    ***It may not be a screwdriver
    ****Rock Gnomes' tinker tool proficiency does not make them automatically proficient in mind screwdrivers
    *****I am no longer allowed to play D&D

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Personal experience here--Spanish is one of those languages that's easy to learn curse words from.
    i know! unfortunately for her, she grew up on the ivory coast, so she doesn't have the local knack for speaking either the local dialectals of occitan, catalan or spanish. much to my dm's chagrin, about half of the group does have this knack.

*"va t'en cagar a la vinha et porta me la clau" does not translate to "have a nice day" in dwarven, despite sharing the sentiment.
    **last time i'm allowed to play a character with 4 languages.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    *If I am a GOO Bladelock, my pact weapon may not be named Mind Screwdriver
    ** Especially if it is a screwdriver
    ***It may not be a screwdriver
    ****Rock Gnomes' tinker tool proficiency does not make them automatically proficient in mind screwdrivers
    *****I am no longer allowed to play D&D
    Fortunately, pact of the blade does make you proficient in mind screwdrivers as long as they're your pact weapon.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-10-29 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

4. - Top - End - #844

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Fortunately, pact of the blade does make you proficient in mind screwdrivers as long as they're your pact weapon.
    Well yeah, but not if I can't make it a pact weapon

*My character concept for a D&D character cannot be "What if Vin were also a Knight Radiant with infinite stormlight?"
    **Especially if my class is monk
    ***May not name my refluffed Bladelock "Szeth-son-son-Valano"
    ****The Cosmere is not an approved D&D sourcebook

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

* Drow in space are still not word elves.
    *ahem*

Did someone say "Drow in Space"?

The 1981 science-fiction novel "Forerunner" by Andre Norton, who also wrote "Quag Keep" which was the first D&D novel (she had played at Gygax's table), featured a character that has a Drow appearance

Anyway here's a link on

Forerunner

* 2D8HP is no longer allowed to speak sentences that begin with "That reminds me..." at the gaming table.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

*My character concept for a D&D character cannot be "What if Vin were also a Knight Radiant with infinite stormlight?"
    **Especially if my class is monk
    ***May not name my refluffed Bladelock "Szeth-son-son-Valano"
    ****The Cosmere is not an approved D&D sourcebook
    *****May not point out to the DM that using the Cosmere as a source-book instead of the standard D&D magic system results in a far more balanced system.

Speaking of which:
    *A character can't have his own gravity-field.
    **Not even if he's an Iron-ferring.
    ***No, even an iron compounder can't manage that.

*I should not have a minor mental breakdown when a player burns trough a year's worth of stored Connection while on top of a Perpendicularity.
    **If I'm not willing to have to (come up with and) deal with the consequences of that, I should not set up a situation in which it is the most logical thing for said player to do.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2017-10-29 at 04:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    *ahem*

Did someone say "Drow in Space"?

The 1981 science-fiction novel "Forerunner" by Andre Norton, who also wrote "Quag Keep" which was the first D&D novel (she had played at Gygax's table), featured a character that has a Drow appearance

Anyway here's a link on

Forerunner
    At least it's not CthulhuTech.

* May not mention CthulhuTech.

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    *****May not point out to the DM that using the Cosmere as a source-book instead of the standard D&D magic system results in a far more balanced system.

Speaking of which:

*I should not have a minor mental breakdown when a player burns trough a year's worth of stored Connection while on top of a Perpendicularity.
    **If I'm not willing to have to (come up with and) deal with the consequences of that, I should not set up a situation in which it is the most logical thing for said player to do.
    I'm now trying to remember how connection works in the Mistborn RPG. But a year's worth, assuming a starting Ferring that would be (365.25*24*4=)35064 Charges of connection. That's over three hundred and fifty standard metalminds of charges (there's a reason the book suggests not running Feruchemy at maximum capacity).

And while Allomancy gets a lot of love, Feruchemy is really the more balanced (against itself, if given storing time it dominates everything) and interesting system, especially when split into Ferrings. Allomancy is actually intentionally unbalanced and not even the variable burn times truly finish (as you can start and stop effectively at will). Tin burns for hours compared to minutes for pewter, but you don't have to burn pewter constantly outside of combat.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #848

******When the DM inevitably argues that KR are OP, I may not point out that Vasher and Nightblood are probably the scariest people on Roshar, that there is a relatively easy Aon that basically replicates the spell flame strike at a high level, or that Vin literally jumped in the air holding a sword larger than she is tall and then bisected someone with the sword half a mile from her starting point when she landed
    *******Also, Bands of Mourning
    ********May not use replying to people as an excuse to talk about literary awesomeness
    *********Not even when that awesomeness is a magnetically-powered leap of bisection
    ****May not bring up reverse lashings

*May not derail thread by referencing an amazing book-universe thing

*May not be Hoid

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

* When being judged to go to heaven or hell, I may not greet the judge with a "whazzzzzaaaaaaaaap?"
    ** Upon the judge asking "what do you have to say for the things you've done in your life?" My response may not be "The Aristocrats!" no matter how good or bad I've been.
    *** May not insist the judge send to me to hell so that I can fight evil people and take their stuff forever because I'm adventurer and thus would be my form of heaven.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i really wish i'd thought of that sooner for my current character!

*no more cursing in spanish to avoid teaching the cleric new bad words.
    **only allowed to curse in a language the dm can understand.
    ***may not ask the paladin's player to teach me the rudiments of his occitan (béarnais) and in exchange i'll teach him my gascon so we can both annoy the dm.
    I'd like to point out that learning to curse in multiple languages is actually a good thing and promotes innovative self-expression of anger...

As for Spanish, as far as I have been taught it's not much more then "Io a mierda á [list of things you would take a dump on]"
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

11. - Top - End - #851

* Not allowed to glomp the serial killer because I thought he was my adoptive older brother.
    ** ...who is also a serial killer.
    *** He works as an adventurer now technically.
    **** Glomping random people due to mild resemblances is still a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    *** May not insist the judge send to me to hell so that I can fight evil people and take their stuff forever because I'm adventurer and thus would be my form of heaven.
    I actually have a faction (of paladins, even) in one of my settings who are based around a mild variation of this--they have all committed unforgivable sins and know they're damned. So they do all the dirty work here so no one else has to get tainted and train so when they go to the Hells they can kick the doors down from the inside and slaughter some fiends in their home lands where it will last.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    * Not allowed to glomp the serial killer because I thought he was my adoptive older brother.
    ** ...who is also a serial killer.
    *** He works as an adventurer now technically.
    **** Glomping random people due to mild resemblances is still a bad idea.
    *****In general, maybe don't hug serial killers.
    ******No matter how cute or cuddly looking they are.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I'd like to point out that learning to curse in multiple languages is actually a good thing and promotes innovative self-expression of anger...
    And gets past the censors.

* Banned from casting Pumpkin Spice flavored magic missiles.
    ** It is Boccob the Uncaring, not Boccob the dude that doesn't give a flying flip.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #855

*May not cause an Elder Brain to have an existential crisis by convincing him that he might NOT be a brain in a jar

16. - Top - End - #856

DrowGuy

*if my idea causes an alignment change in the dm, it's veto'd.
    **if my plan c is everyone else's "godzilla threshold", i'm to tone down the overkill.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

17. - Top - End - #857

*if my idea causes an alignment change in the dm, it's veto'd.
    **if my plan c is everyone else's "godzilla threshold", i'm to tone down the overkill.
    ***May not name my animal companion, familiar, steed, etc. Godzilla Threshold

18. - Top - End - #858

DrowGuy

***May not name my animal companion, familiar, steed, etc. Godzilla Threshold
    ****naming your rock band "godzilla threshold" is right out.
    (no, seriously, it's considered copyright infringement)
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

19. - Top - End - #859

****naming your rock band "godzilla threshold" is right out.
    (no, seriously, it's considered copyright infringement)
    *****May not get around copyright by interpreting "Rock Band" to mean "band of Rock Gnomes"

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

* May not dress up for "Reverse-O-Ween" while on Halloween
    ** May not wait at my house with an empty bowl to take candy from children to fill up my own while proclaiming "Treat or Trick!" while on "Reverse-O-Ween."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #861

*May not use the pseudodragon to make a pseudo- template that turns high CR monsters into cute 1/4 challenge rating versions of themselves
    **This is not a pseudoCthulu (Thanks JAL_138 for posting this image earlier in the thread)

***It is also not what happens when someone puts an Illithid tadpole in a pseudodragon's ear

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *****In general, maybe don't hug serial killers.
    ******No matter how cute or cuddly looking they are.
    *******Unless it is your cat. Always hug your cat.
    ********Unless they don't want to be hugged. Since they are cute, cuddly serial killers.

(Perhaps if I am in a whimsical mood next time I play a one shot, I'll do a CE Tabaxi Frenzy Barbarian named Fluffy Destroyer of Worlds)

*As a level 20 adventuring party, may not take a group of orphans along to the epic final showdown to give them a rapid multi-level boost.

**May not make the traumatized, now significantly more powerful orphans the next campaign's PCs.
    Last edited by Mith; 2017-10-31 at 11:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Firbolg in the Playground

******When the DM inevitably argues that KR are OP, I may not point out that Vasher and Nightblood are probably the scariest people on Roshar, that there is a relatively easy Aon that basically replicates the spell flame strike at a high level, or that Vin literally jumped in the air holding a sword larger than she is tall and then bisected someone with the sword half a mile from her starting point when she landed
    *******May not wonder why you're playing D&D instead of Exalted.

* May no longer give cybernetic characters accents by rapidly typing up what they're going to say on my phone and just read out the autocorrected garble.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #864

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    * May no longer give cybernetic characters accents by rapidly typing up what they're going to say on my phone and just read out the autocorrected garble.
    ** This is once verbosely more resume it'd die alien raves that don't soak English.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    (Perhaps if I am in a whimsical mood next time I play a one shot, I'll do a CE Tabaxi Frenzy Barbarian named Fluffy Destroyer of Worlds)
    *May not do this and have Fluffy the Destroyer team up with the LE Storm Sorcerer Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All
    **One cannot receive class levels before their first birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright
    *******May not wonder why you're playing D&D instead of Exalted.
    I only play D&D 5E, and I'm not well versed in gaming in general other than this, so I don't know what that is. Those were all book references.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Because in Exalted, that's Tuesday. In D&D, it makes your GM reexamine his life. ;p

Also, everytime I vote for Exalted in my group I end up playing my second favorite game.

* [Mutants and Masterminds] no longer allowed to play an Alien with the "doesn't understand humanity" complication.
    * That goes double for human super geniuses.
    * Despite how in theme it is, my session in the "pass the hat" gming should not involve my tech genius's a.I. sidekick 's evil dimension clone showing up and demanding a husband all "Frankenstein's bride" style.
    * Especially if the genius's only protest is that "gender is only a social construct for machines!"

27. - Top - End - #867
    Firbolg in the Playground

I only play D&D 5E, and I'm not well versed in gaming in general other than this, so I don't know what that is. Those were all book references.
    I am well aware of the Brandon Sanderson references. Exalted 3e is a game where the PCs basically start as full Mistborn. The Bands of Mourning are a very easy conversion, Flamestrike is a spell most starting characters can cast if they want to, and bisecting someone from half a mile away is pretty much a standard stunt.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

* I may not have my ally spirit Manifest under the desk of the security guard and Stunbolt him or her into unconsciousness.
    ** I may not not teach my ally the Computer skill to allow it to deactivate the security cameras and door locks.
    *** I may not have a higher Computer skill than the decker.
    **** I may not teach my ally spirit the Car skill to allow it to hijack the truck with the McGuffin in it (after Stunbolting the driver).
    ***** I may not summon an ally spirit with the intention of having it sit back in my workshop making Orichalcum all day.
    ****** I may not summon an ally spirit. Period!
    ******* I may not use the Fashion spell to make our Millitary-Grade Heavy Armor look like thermal underwear and the helmets like ski caps.
    ******** I may not use Turn Target to Goo to steal the cyberware from our opponents to sell on the Black Market.
    ********* I'm no longer allowed to play a mage in Shadowrun!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    * I may not have my ally spirit Manifest under the desk of the security guard and Stunbolt him or her into unconsciousness.
    ** I may not not teach my ally the Computer skill to allow it to deactivate the security cameras and door locks.
    *** I may not have a higher Computer skill than the decker.
    **** I may not teach my ally spirit the Car skill to allow it to hijack the truck with the McGuffin in it (after Stunbolting the driver).
    ***** I may not summon an ally spirit with the intention of having it sit back in my workshop making Orichalcum all day.
    ****** I may not summon an ally spirit. Period!
    *******Basing a character on Angel Summoner is a bad idea in a world that assumes everyone is a BMX bandit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

30. - Top - End - #870

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    ********* I'm no longer allowed to play a mage in Shadowrun!
    Did you teach a water spirit to drive a car? Cause you're missing out if you haven't ;)

Yeah, i'm not allowed to do that anymore. It didn't end well. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist