New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I hope you mean "some" GM's.
    * I'm no longer allowed to stone my GM to test his gullibility.
    ** I'm also forbidden from being within 500 feet of my neighbor's rock garden.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

* Do not let the space and aerotwchnics engineer play a wizard.
    ** a cleric with the travel and air domains is also right out
    *** a druid is fine. A druid's aversity to civilised technology should expand to any high tech vehicle
    **** even if it is a control weather powered doom airship
    ***** Ya know what? Doomship is fine. Also your druid is the campaign villain now

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

* 'Get an airship' is not my character's primary goal.
    ** Or the group's for that matter.
    *** Having an airship as a secret base does not automatically make us supervillains.
    **** No more dropping rocks on cities for fun. Or for any other reason.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * 'Get an airship' is not my character's primary goal.
    ** Or the group's for that matter.
    *** Having an airship as a secret base does not automatically make us supervillains.
    **** No more dropping rocks on cities for fun. Or for any other reason.
    *****Using an airship crewed by wizards to rain fireballs upon our foes is just poor form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    *****Using an airship crewed by wizards to rain fireballs upon our foes is just poor form.
    ****** Dropping soldiers from our airship is considered bad taste and bad for morale.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

****** Dropping soldiers from our airship is considered bad taste and bad for morale.
    ******* Unless said soldiers are Hadozee, in which case it's only demoralizing for the poor saps on the ground. And those soldiers suffering from wingflap/glide envy.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    * Do not let the space and aerotwchnics engineer play a wizard.
    ** a cleric with the travel and air domains is also right out
    *** a druid is fine. A druid's aversity to civilised technology should expand to any high tech vehicle
    **** even if it is a control weather powered doom airship
    ***** Ya know what? Doomship is fine. Also your druid is the campaign villain now
    As an aerospace engineer, what can I play? [For the record, I too usually play wizards]
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

*I may no longer ignore a potentially apocalyptic situation because my character doesn't understand exponential growtb
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

* If I've brought the world closer to the apocalypse than the campaign villain then it's expected I have a reason to do so.

Show

10. - Top - End - #1360

* If I've brought the world closer to the apocalypse than the campaign villain then it's expected I have a reason to do so.
    In my experience, PC's in general are the apocalypse.

*My villain's plan to take over the world cannot be: to get the PC's to embark on a quest to defeat her, and then sweep in to restore order as a fair and worthy monarch rebuilding the world in the wake of the PC's "creative problem solving".
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    In my experience, PC's in general are the apocalypse.

*My villain's plan to take over the world cannot be: to get the PC's to embark on a quest to defeat her, and then sweep in to restore order as a fair and worthy monarch rebuilding the world in the wake of the PC's "creative problem solving".
    My group at university liked to talk to NPCs and had a strange aversion to fire.

I'm not sure how we ever beat the campaign villains...

Show

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

My group at university liked to talk to NPCs and had a strange aversion to fire.

I think you are in a group of water elementals in disguise playing rpgs to pretend to be fire elementals.
    All those humans with so much water I am sure they are water elementals.
    Normal rpg players are made of 70% fire, set people on fire in the game and burn people for communicating they want the npcs to burn.
    Last edited by noob; 2018-08-11 at 04:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

On that note getting to another planet is relatively easy, you just need the ability to bring enough atmosphere with you while you chain teleports, it's orbit that'll give you trouble.
    Any issues with using a plain old Necklace of Adaptation for that? Maybe a Bottle of Air...

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Any issues with using a plain old Necklace of Adaptation for that? Maybe a Bottle of Air...
    many people know about bottles of air but maybe he was too much busy with the calculations for teleportation logistics for thinking about it(you need to get at the right place and to be at the right speed in order to be in orbit)
    Last edited by noob; 2018-08-25 at 03:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1365

* may no longer mention matryoshka brains.
    ** or basilisk hacks.
    *** still no Francis E. Decs.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

* It doesn't matter how many points I sunk into Knowledge (Electronic Engineering) and Knowledge (Nuclear Physics), I can't start the Information Age before society has invented the Steam Engine.
    ** This is not because I also need Knowledge (Electrical Engineering) and Knowledge (Power Networks) to get the electricity from the fission plants to the computers.
    *** My character's skills are to be in-line with their technology level. No less, and certainly no more.
    **** The fact that you can do this all more conviniently with magic is not an excuse.

Show

17. - Top - End - #1367

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    many people know about bottles of air but maybe he was too much busy with the calculations for teleportation logistics for thinking about it(you need to get at the right place and to be at the right speed in order to be in orbit)
    Pressure and heat [or the lack thereof] are other notable challenges to overcome.

Without a space suit, you will have a bad day in space.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    Pressure and heat [or the lack thereof] are other notable challenges to overcome.

Without a space suit, you will have a bad day in space.
    Lack of pressure maybe not (link):

This necklace is a heavy chain with a platinum medallion. The magic of the necklace wraps the wearer in a shell of fresh air, making him immune to all harmful vapors and gases (such as cloudkill and stinking cloud effects, as well as inhaled poisons) and allowing him to breathe, even underwater or in a vacuum.
    So there's air all around you and not just in your lungs.

Extreme cold would still be an issue yes; I checked Endure Elements and it looks like it only goes down to -50 degrees Fahrenheit. Google tells me that's a little more than 400 degrees too warm. So some form of cold immunity is probably ideal. But breathing shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the astronauts should be half-dragon of one of the cold immune breeds?

19. - Top - End - #1369

Lack of pressure maybe not (link):

So there's air all around you and not just in your lungs.

Extreme cold would still be an issue yes; I checked Endure Elements and it looks like it only goes down to -50 degrees Fahrenheit. Google tells me that's a little more than 400 degrees too warm. So some form of cold immunity is probably ideal. But breathing shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the astronauts should be half-dragon of one of the cold immune breeds?
    Or intelligent undead or intelligent constructs, since they don't have a CON score to be affected by the cold, heat, or pressure.

It's worth considering that sometimes it's also really hot. If you're in the shadow of something, or far away from the star, you'll freeze, but if you're in the sunlight, you'll cook.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2018-08-28 at 08:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Generally burning down the old problems tends to trigger getting XP. After all if you burn down the spooky horror house or the dungeon of the demon cultists you have "defeated" all traps and monsters inside. Well, not the diabologists and their devilish servants. But that is why devils are generally seen as more dangerous.

* If ANYTHING you play can easily and without loosing out on details be reprinted in a Munchkin card, you do neither get XP for it, nor is it allowed by the rule of cool.
    ** Well yes, elves with sexy leather outfits are standard tropes by now
    *** Dwarves in leather outfits should be rugged, not sexy.
    **** Okay, okay, they _CAN_ be sexy.
    ***** Their cha mod should at least be positive though.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

My characters need to at least kinda match the campaign genre. Sci-fi setting with lots of races, Fairy it is. Steampunk magical setting, I'll do a full conversion cyborg (steampumk body part replacement was an option)

on a more tangential note I've been told I need to drink more during games. Apparently I RP great when sloshed.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

22. - Top - End - #1372

It's worth considering that sometimes it's also really hot. If you're in the shadow of something, or far away from the star, you'll freeze, but if you're in the sunlight, you'll cook.
    Radiation is a much bigger problem than actual heat - outside the planet's magnetosphere, the Sun just flings cancer at everything (and a D&D wizard would not know to protect from it.)

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Radiation is a much bigger problem than actual heat - outside the planet's magnetosphere, the Sun just flings cancer at everything (and a D&D wizard would not know to protect from it.)
    depending on the interpretation cure disease can probably heal cancer(due to cancer probably being a disease seeing the cancer mage having immunity to the negative effects of diseases)
    If cure disease can not then heal or miracle or wish probably can.

*May not go on earth and then cure cancer.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    My characters need to at least kinda match the campaign genre. Sci-fi setting with lots of races, Fairy it is. Steampunk magical setting, I'll do a full conversion cyborg (steampumk body part replacement was an option)

on a more tangential note I've been told I need to drink more during games. Apparently I RP great when sloshed.
    Eh, not a massive problem. I've got into Sword of the Stars lately (been trying all the different factions, I'm liking the Hivers the most but god is moving your gates into position slow), and am planning to look into the lore more so I can potentially run a game in the setting, and that has both sentient cetaceans and dragons, so fairies aren't too out there.

The problem with steampunk full conversion cyborgs is a mix of clockwork limbs tending to be expensive and most settings not having steamnetics beyond that.

Actually, I've really been looking forward to running a space opera game with a distinct shortfall of humanoid species. Each species would get a form of locomotion and one or more manipulators, and then a bunch of stat adjustments and abilities pushing them towards one or more focuses.

* My character is expected to have at least one manipulator.
    ** Mind control doesn't count.
    *** Telekinesis would if I'd invested any points into it.
    **** For that matter it's expected that I can actually move about on land...
    ***** The telepathic dolphin is banned until we're playing a space opera.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

* I may no longer play crit-fishers, regardless of system.
    * * Yes, it's because you one-shot the ancient dragon.
    * * * I don't care if the DM was a jerk. No more crit fishers.
    * Ditto for stealth characters.
    * * Why? See above.

* No, you cannot affix homunculi to your polar-bear-shaped mech.
    * * Especially if they're wielding weapons.
    * * * How the hell did you get the bear's AC to 28 at level 7 in 5e? Oh. So that's what that question was about.
    * * * * Stop that.

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Space is like 400K in sunlit parts of LEO, and like 175K in dark parts. You will die, somewhat less quickly than lack of oxygen and pressure. Radiation in LEO isn't that bad, unless there's some solar event occurring, but you're still in a less good place than on earth.

Anyway, since our enterprising astro-wizard has enough of an understanding of orbit mechanics to track an arbitrary spot on an orbit and know it's position and velocity at any time, I assume she's also done her astronomy homework and knows exactly what she's going to get into when she gets there.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2018-08-30 at 08:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

*I may no longer present both parties in a war the PC's are supposed to pick a side in as equally reasonable, the bard will just convince them into a peace summit and remove the war plot entirely.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I just discovered this. Oh boy.

*I may not use Telekinesis to no-save murder everything with bombs. They work like alchemical weapons, you make an attack and they get a save for the splash.
    **I may not use Glimpse of the Akashic to get +100 to everything with a coven and murder everything. Only +20.
    ***I may not use Glimpse of the Akashic at all.

*I may not use portals to get objects to relativistic speeds.
    **No, "just world ending" is not an acceptable alternative.

*I may not create infinite numbers of simulacra of myself.
    **I may not use Blood Money and Limited Wish to chain Simulacrum myself, even if it technically ends at some point.
    ***I may not use Simulacrum.
    ****I may not use Lesser Simulacrum.

(to be fair, the first two of these are from a game where we were fighting CR 20 stuff at level 7, and the last one I was explicitly told to go ham on the cheese)

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    *I may no longer present both parties in a war the PC's are supposed to pick a side in as equally reasonable, the bard will just convince them into a peace summit and remove the war plot entirely.
    Let's be real, here. The bard would have done that anyway.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Let's be real, here. The bard would have done that anyway.
    I had a group pull this recently--and there was no bard in sight. I intended for them to pick one of two major factions, but they managed to pull a whole coalition of 5 major and minor factions together to fight a common foe. Heck, they even stopped fighting against some undead and (successfully!) talked to them on the off chance they might have an interest in fighting that common foe. They'd have had a chance to meet that non-hostile undead faction a bit later, but they sped things up tremendously. They talked to everybody. I'm proud of them.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.