New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Dungeons and Dragons novels

The first Dragonlance novels were my first introduction to D&D back in the day, and I read the Drizzt books before getting sick of R.A. Salvatore's style. I feel a certain itch to read other adventures set in D&D's high-magic, multi-race, adventure-friendly setting. I have a particular interest in novels about paladins, because I'm curious to see how writers handle a Pure Good hero as a protagonist.

Is there anything good out there? Preferably available on Kindle?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons novels

I liked the Dark Sun novels, except for the last book of the Prism Pentad. PCs are supposed to take on the Dragon, not a bunch of hyped up GMPCs. Also, they gave the stats for the heroes in a later source book. The Dragon should have curb stomped them before they got within spitting distance of his citadel. A better ending would have been the party dying a horrible death. Would've suited the setting more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also the fact that so many of the Sorcerer Kings got killed within a single chapter still rankles me. Dark Sun after that lost a lot its teeth.

Some of the Dark Sun side stories are alright, but Sorak from the Seeker trilogy is the kind of character that a DM would be like, lol no. And if a DM tried to pull it, the group would probably revolt by throwing pretzels at said DM.

Dark Heart featuring Kitara uth Matar was actually my first Dragonlance novel. I enjoyed that one, but I'm hesitant to pick it up again. Only a few books get better as you age...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

I'm a huge fan of Erin M Evans "Brimstone Angel" series (only 6 books in it).

I'm also going to pick up "pages of pain" and the fan written planescape torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    The first Dragonlance novels were my first introduction to D&D back in the day, and I read the Drizzt books before getting sick of R.A. Salvatore's style. I feel a certain itch to read other adventures set in D&D's high-magic, multi-race, adventure-friendly setting. I have a particular interest in novels about paladins, because I'm curious to see how writers handle a Pure Good hero as a protagonist.

Well, I can suggest the stories concerning Alias of Westgate and company: Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur and Song of the Saurials (aka The Finders Stone Trilogy) and Masquerades.

One of the characters (I won't reveal who as it is a major spoiler for the first book), despite appearances, is a Paladin*, and part of the stories is how he fits in with the other characters who ally with Alias for various reasons, including (in the first book) at least one who is morally quite ambiguous and one who is definitely evil.

Azure Bonds is about Alias of Westgate, a sell-sword who wakes up to find a (strongly magical) tatoo on her arm, and no memory of how it got there. She sets out to find out who put it there, and ends up dealing with a band of assasins, an undead god, two demented mage lovers (one of whom is undead), a demon and a nameless bard. Oh yes, and a Dragon.

The Wyvern's Spur follows Azure Bonds, but is focussed on Giogioni, a young noble (comic relief in the first book) who spent most of his time either being on the wrong end of Alias, one of the Mages (the living one) and the Dragon. This story is about his return to Immersea, where he has to contend with his family, a family hierloom (the titular Wyvern's Spur), an evil mage called Flattery, and a mage with a remarkable resembelence to Alias. While the paladin doesn't appear, one of the other main characters from the first story does, and a part (admittedly small) of the story is showing the influence of the Paladin on her. This is my favourite of the stories.

The Song of the Saurials is all about dealing with the nameless bard. Oh, and the undead god. It is the weakest of the three, but not a bad read.

Masquerades is about Alias travelling to Westgate to deliver a magic item to a sage, and ending up being involved with trying to defeat the local thieves guild (the Night Masks, and their leader, the Faceless). Again, part of this story involves the paladins dealings with the surrounding world.

* There is a reason why this character is not called a Paladin, but that's a spoiler too. The opinion of the extremely evil undead dragon in the fourth book is "Not like one. Is one.".
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A few of the novels that were released with the release of third edition have a paladin as one of the characters (Alhandra). "City of Fire" and "The Bloody Hand" by T.H. Lain* are both available on Kindle.

*T.H. Lain was the pseudonym used for the nine authors who wrote the ten novels that were released.

Greyhawk Classics "Against the Giants" (novelization of the module) has a paladin (but isn't available in Kindle anymore).

"Pools of Darkness" has a rather unusual one, but Pools isn't a very good book.

There are a few others, but Paladins don't get a lot of love in the novels. You're likely to have more luck finding similar characters in other works (Michael in Dresden Files, etc.).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I like everything I've read of Elaine Cunningham. Writes mostly for FR. I'd try the Starlight and Shadows trilogy for a different take on 'drow goes to the surface'.

Stay away from the Planescape books. They were mostly pretty awful. "Pages of Pain" has some redeeming features but the rest are not worth reading.

Most of the Ravenloft books are pretty good, though their quality diminishes as the series progresses. They are stand-alone, with the exception of two sequels to better originals. Start at the beginning with Vampire of the Mists.

I have no idea if these are available on Kindle, though; I got them back when there was only paper.

No matter what you do, stay away from "Elminster in Hell". I have had migraines that were less horrible than that piece of excrement.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-04-22 at 09:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Seconding a lot of these; namely Starlight and Shadows, Greyhawk Classics (particularly the ones by Paul Kidd), and The Finders Stone Trilogy.

Although you say you are sick of RA Salvatore (and I can't really blame you there), but have you read the Cadderly books? The Cleric Quintet? I would argue these were written at Salvatore's peak and I definitely hold them in much higher regard then the Drizzt books. It's not about a paladin but rather a cleric (as the name of the series suggests) and is still probably as good of an example of the Pure Good you seek as any and despite what I tend to think of the Drizzt books this is one series I frequently find myself wishing to revisit.

Unfortunately I can't narrow down any of the actual books that might involve paladins but you might be interested looking into the Pathfinder line of books as well (Pathfinder Tales).

8. - Top - End - #8

Paul Kidd's trilogy for Greyhawk (White Plume Mountain, Descent Into The Depths of the Earth, Queen of the Demonweb Pits) are close to the top of the heap. No paladins, though, except for a supporting character in the first one. The writing style has some similarities with John Rogers, so let me add the Fell's Five trilogy (Shadowplague, Feywild, Down). Comics rather than prose, but one of the Five is a dwarven paladin.

Only Dragonlance novel I'd recommend is Lord Toede, which is a comedy that apes Henry Fielding's Joseph Andrews and Tom Jones. D&D needs more books that don't take themselves too seriously.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you read some Dragonlance, I'd recommend The Doom Brigade and its sequel Draconian Measures, which are about a group of Draconians trying to save their species.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd recommend Let's Play Planescape Torment, which despite the name is mostly a fan novellization of the game. https://lparchive.org/Planescape-Torment/

For dragonlance novels, of the one's I'd recommend, it would be Brothers in Arms (caramon and raistlin join an army). And the Dark Disciple Trilogy for being somewhat self-aware.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Another three from Dragonlance: The Legend of Huma/Kaz the Minotaur/Land of the Minotaurs by Richard A. Knaak. The first of the stories is quite definitely about a Paladin, and his dealings (amongst other things) with a Minotaur.

While the Dragonlance stories (outside the two main trilogies) were so-so, these three are quite good.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2017-04-24 at 02:03 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deed_of_Paksenarrion

I swear this was inspired by the Village of Hommlet. Paladins exist, have very D&D-ish capabilities, and each have their own personality. The protagonist is a soldier who later commits herself to St. Cuthbert -er, Gird. It's a surprisingly fun and smart read.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deed_of_Paksenarrion

I swear this was inspired by the Village of Hommlet. Paladins exist, have very D&D-ish capabilities, and each have their own personality. The protagonist is a soldier who later commits herself to St. Cuthbert -er, Gird. It's a surprisingly fun and smart read.
    The book supposedly came about because Moon was playing D&D and disagreed with a Lawful Stupid paladin portrayal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    The book supposedly came about because Moon was playing D&D and disagreed with a Lawful Stupid paladin portrayal.
    It's nice, and I've also heard the books were written to demonstrate what a paladin should be.

The first book is very low power compared to D&D. Basically, protagonists a have just been drafted to military and have npc classes. Healing, magic, and superhuman fighting ability exist, but are out of the characters' reach.
    Second book read as the first adventure of a low-level d&d character. At the time I wasn't in a mood for d&d adventures, so I didn't finish it. That shouldn't be a problem for you, and I really enjoyed the first book.

Elaine Cunningham's books are very enjoyable, no paladins but a drow struggling between... I think it was basically Neutral Evil and True Neutral? Any way, an actual struggle in values, and alignments.
    Much more interesting than Drizz's endless teenage phase.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post

Elaine Cunningham's books are very enjoyable, no paladins but a drow struggling between... I think it was basically Neutral Evil and True Neutral? Any way, an actual struggle in values, and alignments.
    Much more interesting than Drizz's endless teenage phase.
    I'd put Liriel as CN, possibly with good tendencies.
    Spoiler: minor spoilers
    Show
    She doesn't give a damn about rules, has been spoiled and is concerned almost exclusively with herself. She isn't particularly malicious or cruel, quite a bit less than her drow collagues tend to be. She will use others but rarely to the extent of any significant harm unless provoked. Wven if she tries to align herself with others she will unhesitatingly do whatever she feels like for her own gratification without considering possible consequences her actions may have for others. Good people got her to start considering the feelings and well-being of others, at least a little.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'd put Liriel as CN, possibly with good tendencies.
    Spoiler: minor spoilers
    Show
    She doesn't give a damn about rules, has been spoiled and is concerned almost exclusively with herself. She isn't particularly malicious or cruel, quite a bit less than her drow collagues tend to be. She will use others but rarely to the extent of any significant harm unless provoked. Wven if she tries to align herself with others she will unhesitatingly do whatever she feels like for her own gratification without considering possible consequences her actions may have for others. Good people got her to start considering the feelings and well-being of others, at least a little.
    I think you're right.
    Spoiler: Major spoilers
    Show
    Divine spells, a divine caster being one alignment step away from the power granting the spells, etc. Liriel is indeed CN. I misremembered Eilistraee's alignment, I thought she was Neutral Good, which would mean Liriel would be somewhere between NE and NN.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    I think you're right.
    Spoiler: Major spoilers
    Show
    Divine spells, a divine caster being one alignment step away from the power granting the spells, etc. Liriel is indeed CN. I misremembered Eilistraee's alignment, I thought she was Neutral Good, which would mean Liriel would be somewhere between NE and NN.
    Her official alignment as of the end of book 2 was NG:

http://web.archive.org/web/200306181...oks/fr/baenre2

Her official alignment in 2e (as of the end of book 1) was NN in the Forgotten Realms heroes sourcebook (it didn't give her any cleric levels back then - which kind of contradicted the book as written).

Given that she was able to cast spells as a cleric of Lolth early in book 1 - it seems logical that her alignment changes were from NE (able to cast spells as cleric of Lolth) to NN.

In the context of 3e's "one step rule" however - given that she's still a cleric of Lolth until the end of book 2 - CN would probably have worked better - unless Lolth is generously handing out her power to a technically-disqualified Liriel, what with her plan to make Liriel her Chosen.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele