New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Red Flags for DMs?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternal View Post
    To be fair, so is this thread's bar for bad DM's/red flags.
    Red flags - which is what this thread is about - probably should have a low bar. Bad DMs is a different (but obviously related) beast, and should have a higher bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Barstro View Post
    It was a summary of the conversation. I assure you, the DM tried while the Player ignored.

I'm not sure how I feel about alignment restrictions. I think I'd want a DM to say that the character wouldn't do that, but then allow the player to give a reason that such an act is within the PC's alignment. I'll leave it at that, since most of my experience with this sort of thing is where I feel a DM should have given more direction, while most of you have had DMs be overly restrictive.
    Curious that you summarize with such negative language, if, as you claim, it wasn't the gist of the conversation.

Alignment restrictions only make sense if alignment makes sense (which it doesn't, IMO), and if alignment is prescriptive rather than deceptive - which are two very different schools of thought.

Personally, I stopped writing an alignment on my sheet long ago. I prefer to play a character, with, you know, a personality. You wanna put a label on my character, fine, whatever, it's not going to change the way I play the character.

Unless I'm trolling you. You spontaneously turn my charger evil over a single questionable act, and I'll give you one "are you sure" before I'll show you the true meaning of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    In my experience, "Ask first" is actually a good sign that the GM understands that there are broken combinations and builds, but that not every build that uses elements of those broken things is, itself, broken. "Ask first, show me what you're building and why, and we'll discuss it," is what this tells me.

And yes, such a GM might allow one character to use Halfling skip rocks, another character to use the martial stance that lets you re-roll 1s on damage, and a third character to use the martial strike that lets you re-roll and stack damage on the max roll of a damage die...but wouldn't allow any one character to use all three. Or even the last two together.

One GM's approach is to require you to tell him of any tricks or exploits you intend to use, and he'll let you know if he's okay with them or not. Either way - because you discover (or "discover") one you didn't tell him about in play, or because he underestimated how dangerous it would be to his game's balance - he has a blanket rule that he'll give you one chance to work with him to replace a broken trick's pieces, and, if you don't take that chance and use the trick again, he reserves the right to simply take away the pieces without replacement.

Sounds tyrannical, except that it only gets that way if a player refuses to work with him.

Again, takes trust, though, because otherwise one can see it as adversarial and just keep trying to break things.
    I've seen the mindset you describe, but never on an "ask first" GM. I doubt I'd have trouble with that "build" of GM, so I'll concede that it doesn't guarantee a red flag, just that it always has IME.

-----

I have two opposing schools of thought on this.

On the one hand, I'll hand a prospective DM pages of analysis of Quertus' capabilities, including what I consider his best combos laid out in exacting detail. Not that it matters, of course, because Quertus is tactically inept, and has never pulled off those combos to date. But it's just good form, given the sheer number of custom spells Quertus has - heck, he has more senses/detects than the PH has spells.

On the other hand, I don't want the DM to custom tailor the adventure to the PCs. I'd prefer if the DM never looked at any of the PCs sheets, and just ran the world realistically. So the DM wanting to know anything about my pc beyond its "interface" (name, AC) is a yellow flag. My hackles raise, and I ask why they want to know. Thus ensures conversations on combat as war vs combat as sport, tailored challenges vs realistic world etc, so I can find out if the GMs play style is such that I can enjoy the game - or, if they haven't thought about it, preach my religion on the topic.

Now, this gets a bit tricky if there are other players within earshot, as I've met plenty of GMs who (as should come as no surprise to regulars of these boards) believe that all players are sheep who won't notice their "subtle" manipulations / blatant rails. In this scenario, I can't just directly come out and ask if they cheat in ways that aren't fun for a wolf, just in case they actually do have a flock of sheep that are having fun, ignorant of the details behind the curtain.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    And what's stopping any prepared caster from doing the same thing? Why aren't they on your ****list? Yes, a martial adept can take 10 minutes to change maneuvers. Giving them 10 minutes in-game to do this is reasonable. Not checking what they're swapping is boneheaded to say the least. It'd be like letting Clerics and Druids be spontaneous casters and then complaining they're overpowered. If you can't see that's the fault of the ***hole player and lax-to-the-point-of-being-incompetent DM rather than the rules, I don't know if I can help you.
    I come from a different school of thought I this. I don't want DMs custom tailoring challenges to the PCs, I don't as DM want metagame knowledge about the PCs capabilities, I just want to run the world fair and square, and ask that the players do the same with their characters.

I've had a few players who were probably abusing my "trust" on this issue, but so what? If Duncan's player feels he needs to cheat to make sure Duncan never has an appropriate spell prepared in order to have fun playing the character, so what? His fun isn't hurting anyone, so who am I to call him out for badwrongfun?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-05-08 at 05:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    I don't get why people dislike the idea of sword magic or something of the sorts.
    Maybe because people measure fighters with reality standards, while magic is OK because there is no comparisson with reality.
    I mean, it's fantasy, why can't the answer for marcial stuff be magic as well?

For example, the barbarian. Instead of being the guy that gets pissed off, why not just say he infuses his body with magic or something of the sort?
    That's pretty much the fluff that I go with. In my world, reality is mutable, and people can learn to mess with it. The most obvious of these are magic users, who make a craft of messing with reality. But everyone can do it - if you study the sword hard enough, you can become so awesome with it that you can literally tell reality to sit down and shut up when you swing.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

frown Re: Red Flags for DMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    It is, sadly, pointless to argue with Darth Ultron.
    Yet people do. Constantly.

Assuming he isn't just a troll (and if he is, definitely one of the best I've seen, because people never fail to bite), and his games really do run the way he says, why on earth would anyone think they could debate a point with him?

I personally find it hard to believe that any player (except one who is a first time gamer and doesn't know any better) would stay in a game like the one he describes.

I'm very much a advocate of "different play styles work for different groups", but even I cannot visualize any group that would enjoy a game where any effort to make your character good in any field is "dirty cheating" and rule 0 gets applied at the drop of a hat (say, if the DM doesn't like how your character describes his daily grooming routine).

...and we're doing a "ToB is anime!" "Is not!" "Is too!" debate in 2017? Really?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I personally find it hard to believe that any player (except one who is a first time gamer and doesn't know any better) would stay in a game like the one he describes.
    I recall him mentioning that he hemorrhages a lot of players, but it's fine because they were bad players anyway. Other options include not knowing any better, or simply being browbeat into accepting his views.

...and we're doing a "ToB is anime!" "Is not!" "Is too!" debate in 2017? Really?
    It's [CURRENT YEAR] guys! There's probably a monk thread that's less than a week old if you want to complain about recurring discussions.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Red Flags for DMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    It's [CURRENT YEAR] guys! There's probably a monk thread that's less than a week old if you want to complain about recurring discussions.
    Fair point.

Still, I was kind of interested in the direction and discussion in the thread - I felt like the better part of a full page being the same, tired old pro-ToB anti-ToB arguments was a bit of a derail.

I felt like a lot of those replies could have been copied and pasted from a thread from ten years ago.

6. - Top - End - #516

Yet people do. Constantly.

Assuming he isn't just a troll (and if he is, definitely one of the best I've seen, because people never fail to bite), and his games really do run the way he says, why on earth would anyone think they could debate a point with him?
    If he isn't just playing devil's advocate, well, one way or another, I feel I'm not alone in having learned something from our conversations.

And that's what matters to me.

Hopefully, other people reading / participating in the conversations he's in learn a thing or two, too.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, looks like the forum's back!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hey, looks like the forum's back!
    Good thing too, I missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't get why people dislike the idea of sword magic or something of the sorts.
    Maybe because people measure fighters with reality standards, while magic is OK because there is no comparisson with reality.

For example, the barbarian. Instead of being the guy that gets pissed off, why not just say he infuses his body with magic or something of the sort?
    I think itīs not "Sword Magic" thatīs the problem, itīs the execution.

Most of the time, martial "power" is seen as trained so it should be at will, not slot-based. People I talked to about Bo9S really disliked that you had to prep some moves for an encounter and then fall back to regular attacks when those are spent.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

People's issue with blade magic is that you shouldn't be able to achieve supernatural results with non-supernatural methods. People are fine with wizards shooting fireballs because it's explicitly a result of supernatural power. Attaining the power to strangle ghosts, will magical effects(that aren't mind control) away, and fart lightning by lifting weights strains credulity.

Now obviously I'm fine with a little bit of this. There's settings where physical and 'spiritual' power are explicitly connected(Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z, etc.) so it makes sense that the guy that punches the hardest fires the biggest laser. But that's more of an Eastern theme than a Western one. While obviously I'm fine with someone becoming stronger than is possible in reality by mundane training, I would prefer that abilities which are explicitly supernatural in nature have a supernatural source.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

I donīt really know if itīs an "eastern vs. western" thing.
    All things "martial" are directly connected to how we envision physics in a game world to work and once you start "breaking" that, a lot of things break down or become non-imagineable.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

As a note, the maneuvers with supernatural effects, such as teleporting, are (Su) abilities. Check the school descriptions.

Regarding the resource scheme - this is sort of a tangent so I'll put it in a block:
    Spoiler: On the mechanics/fiction relationship
    Show
    There are roughly three degrees to which an IC action can be linked to a mechanical action.

Hard-Linked: The characters' IC understanding of the action matches the mechanics fairly closely.
    Example: Wizard spellcasting. Because Wizards trade spells, they'd know about things like spell names, spell levels, spells/day, even CL. Their terminology for it might be different, but if you asked a Wizard IC what they were doing, they might say something equivalent to "I'm casting a Lightning Bolt. It's a spell of the third circle, and with this one expended I only have one more prepared today. As a mage of the upper 5th circle, my Lightning Bolt is twice as potent as someone who'd just reached the ability to cast it." Also Exalted 2E, where pretty much all the mechanics were IC terminology as well.

Soft-Linked: The character is intentionally using the action, and knows conceptually what it does, but their understanding may not match how the mechanics actually function. Also, the character may sometimes try to use the action when it's mechanically impossible and not know that there was no chance of success, only that it didn't succeed in that instance.
    Example: Many 4E classes use this, but also some 3E classes. Sorcerer, for example, is hard-linked if and only if Sorcerers IC know that:
    * They have an exact number of slots/day, and different levels of slot.
    * They know a set of distinct spells, and are casting a particular spell which will always have a specific effect.
    * Their caster level affects how potent the spells will be in precise ways.
    If they think of themselves more like sorcerers as depicted in other fantasy material, where it's "I let the magic flow through me and see what happens. I have a limit of endurance, but I don't know exactly how far I can push it." then they are in fact soft-linked. Cleric and Druid may be soft-linked too, depending on how they think of their magic working IC.

Unlinked: The action is made entirely on the player's side. The character doesn't even necessarily know that it happened.
    Example: Fate points (in Fate system). When the player spends a FP to invoke their "Friends in unlikely places" aspect so that a biker gang shows up and chases away the vampire that was about to drain them, the character thinks that was just a lucky coincidence.

Crusader is fairly hard-linked, IMO. Opportunities arise randomly in battle, they take advantage of them, and then different ones arise soon after. Plus, divine power is pretty much an excuse for things working any way at all.

Swordsage and Warblade are a bit more soft-linked, in that the "limited opportunities" reason doesn't match that well with preparing maneuvers ahead of time. I think they could be more hard-linked with a slight change - instead of preparing specific maneuvers, they just get the opportunity for that number of maneuvers before needing to size up the situation again (ie. refresh maneuvers). A given maneuver could still just be usable 1/refresh, so it's mainly that they don't pick in advance.

Although again, unless Clerics and Druids admit IC that many of their spells are functionally identical to Wizard spells and work in almost exactly the same way, they're equally soft-linked as any Bo9S classes are.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2017-05-15 at 03:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Red Flags for DMs?

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    As a note, the maneuvers with supernatural effects, such as teleporting, are (Su) abilities. Check the school descriptions.
    To play devil's avocado, there are a couple of exceptions to this. I'm about to leave for work, so I'll let someone else look them up.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Colossus in the Playground

To play devil's avocado, there are a couple of exceptions to this. I'm about to leave for work, so I'll let someone else look them up.
    Spoiler: Big Image
    Show
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-05-15 at 04:57 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The shadow jumps, yea... I never liked that. Even if it makes them significantly more powerful, it strains my disbelief past its breaking point.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    The shadow jumps, yea... I never liked that. Even if it makes them significantly more powerful, it strains my disbelief past its breaking point.
    How about monks' Abundant Step? As we all know, punching people is inherently more mystical than stabbing people.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fine. But (EX) abilities are explicitly able to break physics.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    That's fine. But (EX) abilities are explicitly able to break physics.
    Wait... Non-magical abilities are explicitly allowed to break physics? Isn't that, like, some kind of basic logic error there? Isn't that equivalent to saying, "physics can break physics"?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Wait... Non-magical abilities are explicitly allowed to break physics? Isn't that, like, some kind of basic logic error there? Isn't that equivalent to saying, "physics can break physics"?
    Odd, but I guess whatever makes them work isn't specifically magic, at least not in the way that you can seal off with an AMF. Personally I'd prefer it if WoTC'd disposed with Ex abilities in general, but they didn't, so...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Bolding (mine) for emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, page 180, under Special Abilities
    Extraordinary Abilities: A rogue’s evasion ability and a troll’s ability to regenerate are extraordinary abilities. These abilities cannot be disrupted in combat, as spells can, and they generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities.They are not subject to dispelling, and they function normally in an antimagic field. Indeed, extraordinary abilities do not qualify as magical, though they may break the laws of physics.
    Last edited by Svata; 2017-05-15 at 09:41 PM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Real world physics. Lots of things in D&D break physics just by _existing_, and that's not even an (Ex) ability. (Undead, giants of any kind, elementals, golems...)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Real world physics. Lots of things in D&D break physics just by _existing_, and that's not even an (Ex) ability. (Undead, giants of any kind, elementals, golems...)
    I honestly loled at that.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #533

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    How I see rolling stats:
    Back on page 9, since I'm reading through this thread:

That was basically 20 minutes (because I got sick of his voice by that point) of an AD&D Grognard not getting how 3.X mechanical requirements work. Which you can tell from him slipping back into using outdated game terminology halfway through.

Thanks for at least something...interesting to outline your opinion.

25. - Top - End - #535

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Dragon's flight isn't extraordinary. Do you have any idea how many times wings this size would have to flap to lift that body? We're talking hummingbird rates, and that assumes hollow bones.
    Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Yes it is.
    I'm fairly sure that if it's not called out as a supernatural or spell-like ability, it's extraordinary. I'm pretty sure feats are Ex) abilities too.

Btw, I think I've seen your name on Rusty and Co. comments... that's you, right?

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really. The default assumption is, that as long as nothing says otherwise, in-game physics are the same as our real world physics. Ex abilities point out were that assumption is not true and in-game physics differ from real world physics.

I think an (Ex) shadow jump is actually a good example for this. We know that it is not physically possible to enter a shadow. But we also donīt have coterminous planes, so we donīt know the physical relationships here. This (Ex) ability tells us, that there actually is a physical relationship here, that someone with the right training can actually put to use.

28. - Top - End - #538

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Btw, I think I've seen your name on Rusty and Co. comments... that's you, right?
    Yep. Ja. Oui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

At a guess, things like Shadow Jaunt were supposed to be (Su) as well and got missed for the same reasons that Iron Heart Surge never got edited and the errata switches to Complete Arcane halfway through.

In general, though, I suspect a lot of the "weeabo fighting magic" critics didn't notice that most of the objectionable maneuvers are supposed to be (Su), or that the Swordsage is supposed to be a gish-type.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-05-16 at 07:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Not really. The default assumption is, that as long as nothing says otherwise, in-game physics are the same as our real world physics. Ex abilities point out were that assumption is not true and in-game physics differ from real world physics.

I think an (Ex) shadow jump is actually a good example for this. We know that it is not physically possible to enter a shadow. But we also donīt have coterminous planes, so we donīt know the physical relationships here. This (Ex) ability tells us, that there actually is a physical relationship here, that someone with the right training can actually put to use.
    Oh, well, that's different, then. Of course you can jump through a shadow if it's a gateway to a coterminous plane. That's not breaking physics, that's using the physics of the world.

Just like mages do when they cast spells.

Rats. I'm back to being confused again.