New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stegyre's Forgotten Forge IC

Tyman

The Druid leaps backwards at the surprise assault! he orders his wolf into the fray as he himself launches a magical missile at their assaulter!

Spoiler
    Show

Magic Missile at the Warforged (1d4+1)[5]

if there is room, the wolf will attack as well: Bite (1d20+3)[9] melee (1d6+1)[6]

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

The warforged's eyes glimmer nastily a deep shade of red as he leans forward into the attack. "Why do you plague us? We should work with the soft skins.". He lurches forward to try and shield Rosa, hammer swinging at the new arrival with deadly force,

Spoiler: Hammer time
    Show

(1d20+3)[19] dam (1d8+2)[4]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ceracis

Standing behind the warforged as it makes an attack, Ceracis keeps holding the light coin up.

He then discreetly takes a step back so the more violent of this cadre can take action.

Spoiler: Tactical Withdrawal
    Show
    Step out of the way, move 20 ft away from the melee.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Abandoning my efforts with an proper image, for now, let me see how good a word picture I can paint for you all.

The exchange of blows goes poorly for the warforged bushwhacker. Caught off guard, his stroke goes wide of Rosa, while she lands a solid cut with her dazzling (and confusing) shadow blade technique.

Ceracis starts to move away, but then --

Those who have already reached the sewer tunnel proper hear splashing ahead: the shape of two more attackers to join the fray!

Tyman blasts the warforged with a magic missile. The warforged has clearly seen better days!

Ceracis and Katarina still to act before the attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ceracis may alter or stop his move and add a standard action, if he wishes, now that you see you would be running at the shifters.

Tyman’s wolf cannot get to the warforged around Rosa, though, and Katarina is temporarily being blocked by Morkalakhad. The wolf can be redirected toward the shifters. If Kat wants to delay until Mork’s action, they can trade places and he can fire of his attack as planned, but the attackers will get to go first.

Setting

Forge, Ceracis, Tyman, and his pets are in the sewer tunnel proper. This is a 10’ wide passageway running East-West, with a grate immediately behind (East) of you, blocking further travel in that direction. Water covers the bottom, to a depth of about a foot – you won’t drown, but it impairs movement (treat as difficult terrain). You really wouldn’t want to drink it, judging by the smell.

Ahead of you (East) the passageway widens to 20’, with narrow (5’) walkways on either side. This is the part of the passageway where a series of valves let on to the tunnel. There are a total of twelve valves, six on each side (North and South), alternating their positions. (I.e., 5’ into the tunnel is the first valve on the North side; 10’ in is the first valve on the South side; then the next valve on the North, and so on.)

The splashing noises you were hearing as you descended the stairs to this tunnel come from the valves, which seem to open at random, spilling their foul smelling waters into the passageway. A fair amount of water comes out when a valve opens, so you figure you do not want to be standing in front of a valve when that happens.

About 65’ down the passageway (West of you), you see the two shifters. Forge recognizes one of them: the watcher from the Rat’s Market. Perhaps that is how they learned to set up this ambush?
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #95

Ceracis

In this spell, "positive" energy is radiated outward from the caster, infusing the recipients with a brief enchantment to strengthen reflexes and fortitude, also providing keener sight.

Superstitious God-Botherers would call it blessing, but if there truly were benevolent spirits in the multiverse, people would be able to win at darts every time they sneezed.

Regardless.

"Bless!
    "

Philosophical theory aside, it was still effective.

Spoiler: Damned Intellectuals
    Show
    Casts bless on group.
    +1 to hit +1 save vs fear
    1 Minute
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-08-09 at 10:57 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Kat

The young warrior springs forward, frustrated by her inability to reach the damaged warforged. Instead she takes up a defensive position at the head of the group in case the newcomers attack, blade raised in a threatening manner!

"Your ambush has failed! Begone lest you feel my blade!"

Intimidate (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2017-07-31 at 04:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The warforged is clearly shaken by the intimidating Kat (-2 on attack rolls et al.). This encounter is not going as he’d planned, but any escape is cut off by Rosa in one direction and Morkalakhad and Kat in the other. Somewhat feebly, he stabs again, a clumsy, embarrassingly ineffectual thrust at Rosa that she casually brushes aside.
    Spoiler: Warforged attack
    Show

Versus (1d2)[1] 1 = Rosa, 2 = Morkalakhad.
    attack - (1d20-1)[2] damage - (1d6+1)[2] (if vs. Morkalakhad: sneak attack damage (1d6)[1], as you are still flat-footed)

Edit: This is looking like a curb stomp battle.

Meanwhile, in the sewer proper, the shifters look menacing, as they seem to grow larger, with long, sharp claws extending from their fingertips as they advance upon the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    razorclaw shifters
    Free action: shift
    Double move action to advance 30’ down the tunnel (remember: this is rough terrain, so double movement cost). They are now about 30’ from the nearest party members (Forge, et al.)

Go, go Party!
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2017-08-09 at 10:43 AM.
    Custom Class

8. - Top - End - #98

Ceracis

"There's more off them! Finish off the tin man and deal with those mutants!"

Spoiler: What K: check to Dark Knowledge Shifters... Nature? Dungeoneering?
    Show
    (1d20)[20]
    And then plus whatever is relevant field of study?
    Knowledge (arcana) +7
    Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +3
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) +4
    Knowledge (geography) +4
    Knowledge (history) +5
    Knowledge (local) +4
    Knowledge (nature) +4
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +4
    Knowledge (religion) +7
    Knowledge (the planes) +7

I have Draconic Archivist (You use Knowledge (arcana) for dark knowledge checks for constructs and Dragon) for warforged too, so watch yer back, Forge!

In his arrogant tone, he describes the best places to hit a shifter for maximum damage.

Spoiler: Effects
    Show
    Bless for you all.
    If Dark Knowledge is relevant to Shifters add +2 to hit (since a Nat 20 should exceed check by 10 at least. Right?)

+1 to hit vs. Warforged (Bless 1 minute - 1 round))
    +3 to hit vs. shifters (Bless and Dark Knowledge)

He's a lot more annoying when he's useful, I think.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-08-09 at 05:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad continued to move away from the creature, trying to avoid being hit. Now he called upon outsiders to assit ...

Spoiler: Round 1 or 2
    Show
    Depending on whether my action occurred last round, this is either my round two or my new round one. Not sure I can 5' step if all of this is difficult terrain. But either 5' step back or 10' move ... but trying to keep at least one person between Morkalakhad and the shifters.
    Cast summon monster 1

PS - any way we can adopt the Pathfinder rules for cantrips? Unlimited use for memorized 0-level spells?
    Status
    AC: 12 HP: 5 Move: 30'
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Spells: acid splash, prestidigitation, detect magic / mage armor, obscuring mist, summon monster I
    Powers (2/3 points): vigor, energy ray, astral construct
    Skills: Concentration +8, Autohypnosis +5, Psi/Spellcraft +5, Spot/Search/Listen
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Katerina

"Hold... hold..." the warrior mutters as she holds the front line against the incoming shifters. She knows she can't cover the distance through the filth to the incoming foes, so she waits patiently for them to come to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hold 30ft from the shifters. Ready action to attack. (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage (2d6+4)[13]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2017-08-09 at 03:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

The warforged slumps and Rosa lashes out at the detaching mechanical 'messenger' just as she hears the doctor muttering a warning of sewer mutants ahead. She ducks ahead, hurling a dagger as the feral folk emerge from the shadows.

Spoiler: actions & status
    Show
    AoO: shortsword (1d20+6)[10] (incl +2 Island of Blades & +1 Bless) damage (1d6+2)[6]
    Move: Move 10ft northwest into corridor & draw dagger in off-hand
    Standard: Ready action to throw dagger as shifters approach into close range dagger (1d20+6)[10] (incl +1 Bless & +2 Dark Know.) damage (1d4+2)[3]

Rosa
    Female NG Human Ranger 1// Feat Rogue 1, Level 1//1, Init 1, HP 9/9, Speed 30ft
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points 5/5
    Shortsword +3 (1d6+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Shortbow (20 arrows) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Chain shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Condition
    Stance: Island of Blades. Opponents are flanked if adjacent to Rosa + an ally

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

The hulking robot forms the line with Kat, watching the oncoming shifters carefully. Muttering a few words of power his body glows, an aura spreading over it. "Leave us be. I have no wish to harm you, you have committed no crime as yet."

Spoiler: Forge
    Show

Cast Shield of faith infusion (2 mins)

Hps 12/12
    Saves +4/3/1
    AC 21 (FF 21, T 10) +2 deflect = 23

Effects
    DR2/Adamantine
    Bless +1 to hit
    Dark knowledge +2 to hit shifters
    Shield of faith +2 Deflection

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hearing their warforged employer’s collapse, the two shifters slow their advance, look at one another, and shrug. While they wouldn’t shy away from a fight, no one’s going to bother spilling blood without a payoff at the end, and they certainly don’t like the 3:1 odds. They back off (going back to the West) and head north up the tunnel at the T-intersection.

Searching the body of the now non-functional warforged, you don’t find much: a rapier, light crossbow and 10 bolts, thieves tools, cloak, and pack. (None of the gear is masterwork.)

You make your way forward (West) – the only way not blocked by a grate or valves spewing forth sewage. At the T-intersection, you see that North (the same way the shifters went) is also the only way onward, as another grate prevents passage further South.

It is about 30’ up that passageway (where the “C” is on the map) that you find the portal:
    A circular metal hatch, set into the tunnel wall and engraved with arcane runes, must be the sealed door that Elaydren told you about. In the middle of the hatch, a glowing circle of mithral depicts the same icon as on Bonal’s journal – the ancient symbol of House Cannith that predates the founding of the Kingdom of Galifar itself, a stylized anvil and hammer.
    (OOC: I'm going to assume you want to open the hatch, so tell me how you go about it. )
    Custom Class

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Kat

"Smart guys," Katerina snarks as their remaining opponents decide it's not worth it.

She's fascinated by the patterns of the arcane runes on the door, but she doesn't attempt to approach it or make comment until the others have put forth their opinion. For all she knows the runes describe how to open the door and she doesn't want to appear stupid with a comment like
    There must be some way to open it!
    or by attempting to manually roll the hatch open if it's actually stated plainly Access controls on left. right there on the door.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2017-09-21 at 07:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad sighed with relief as the shifters departed. He followed the group down the passageway, still wondering what this was all about. Upon reaching the hatch, he moved forward to study the runes, casting a cantrip to see if there was magic at play ...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Arcana - (1d20+5)[23], Spellcraft - (1d20+5)[9], then Detect magic

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Spells: acid splash, prestidigitation, detect magic / mage armor, obscuring mist, summon monster I
    Skills: Concentration +8, Autohypnosis +5, Psi/Spellcraft +5, Spot/Search/Listen

16. - Top - End - #106

Ceracis

"Well, hold on. Odds are it has some cunning death trap on it."

Annoyed at the delay but happy to show off, Ceracis peers at the hatch.

Spoiler: Let the Ceracis Luck continue!
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13] search trapfinding

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Katerina

Reassured that the text isn't revealing an obvious solution to the door, Kat moves in to assist. "Maybe it just... Push..." she mutters, placing her hands against the door and attempting to budge it.

Spoiler
    Show

Search (1d20+1)[13] (trapfinding) to assist.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2017-09-21 at 11:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stegyre's Forgotten Forge I

Forge

The warforged looks at his fallen kin, a sad look on his face. Pausing to close its eyes he heads to the portal. "I shall have a look. I have experience of some arcane objects."

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Search (1d20+7)[26]
    Disable (1d20+7)[14]
    Know (Arcane) (1d20+5)[14]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The portal radiates a faint magical aura, though Morkalakhad’s spellcraft knowledge is not up to the task of determining the school. “Fortunately” (?) the parties’ attempts at disarming answer that question, as Ceracis (1 pt.), Rosa (3 pts.), and Forge (3 pts) are struck my small globs of acid.

Forge discerns there is, indeed, an acid splash trap present. (In case the rest of you hadn’t already worked that out.) It appears to have been set off by you efforts at trying to disarm it. It is probably not activated by casual contact with the portal. An attempt to force the portal, however . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Who is carrying the journal, by the way? My assumption is it’s the sort of thing Ceracis would have grabbed – along with the money – but I don’t recall.
    Custom Class

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

Rosa gasps in pain and surprise, clamping her arm close to her side as the stinging liquid burns her skin. She tries her best to wash any residue away with a little clean water from her waterskin and offers it around to Ceracis and Forge. "I'm okay, you guys? Guess we better be a little more careful with these things."

Spoiler: journal
    Show
    Rosa grabbed the satchel originally, but has no particular need to be holding on to any of the contents.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2017-09-22 at 09:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad peered worriedly at the others. "Are you all alright? I wonder if the tune is still active, or if the trap is spent ...". He glanced at the 'doctor, for confirmation.

Show
    Did detect magic see anything?

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2

22. - Top - End - #112

Ceracis

"We'll live. Anyone need healing?" Ceracis was put out by the whole situation. Now he'd have to play nursemaid for these itinerant psychopaths.

Spoiler: Spontaneous Healing
    Show
    Cure Minor Wounds, anyone?

Let's say retroactively Petr always had the journal.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-09-26 at 08:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Forge looks at the acid burns on his chest pate and shakes his head sadly. "Frustrating. However it would be most unusual for our employer to send us this way with no means to bypass the door.
    DId the Lady Cannith furnish any advice for dealing with this portal within her book?"
    He looks at the other waiting for the journal to be produced.

24. - Top - End - #114

Ceracis

With a long-suffering sigh, Ceracis rummages through his pack until he finds the journal.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

"Thank you, Ceracis" Rosa finds the gesture of assistance welcome but a little unsettling.

Spoiler: healing
    Show
    I'll happily take a Cure Minor

26. - Top - End - #116

Ceracis

"Right then. Hold still," he intones a prayer, drawing positive energy to mend Rosa's acid burns.

Spoiler: Bibbity Bobbity Boo
    Show
    convert Sanctuary to CLW. Don't worry, I have a feat for it.
    [roll]1d8+1. SIGH. To the ooc!
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-09-30 at 04:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad moved to Ceracis, glancing at the journal. "Do you require any assistance in reviewing the book for instructions? " In his mind, he could hear Morah complaining about the task at hand, urging him to simply take the journal from the man.

Show
    Once more with feeling ... did detect magic identifying anything?

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Kat
    "I'm just going to stand over here until you guys have figured out the trap," Kat says, standing back outside the range of the furthest acid impact.