New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: flanking?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default flanking?

For a general character, is flanking a thing in 5e?

Back in 3.5, there was a bonus when flanking a foe. I think that no longer exists in 5th edition, but someone in my group thought it gave advantage.
    I know there are some monsters that get or give advantage when an ally* is within 5 feet of a foe, and that it lets a rogue sneak attack,

Also, rogues get sneak attack from 'flanking', but not advantage as well, correct?

*ally defined in a technical sense as something like "a hostile to the target that is not unconscious or incapacitated", that is, it does not necessarily have to be your ally so much as an enemy of your enemy. But I'm trying not to side-track on that.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-08-14 at 10:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: flanking?

Optional rule, DMG p. 251, along with a lot of the 3.5-esque grid stuff.

And Advantage allows a sneak attack, it doesn't create it.
    Last edited by Beelzebubba; 2017-08-14 at 10:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    For a general character, is flanking a thing in 5e?

Back in 3.5, there was a bonus when flanking a foe. I think that no longer exists in 5th edition, but someone in my group thought it gave advantage.
    I know there are some monsters that get or give advantage when an ally* is within 5 feet of a foe, and that it lets a rogue sneak attack,

Also, rogues get sneak attack from 'flanking', but not advantage as well, correct?

*ally defined in a technical sense as something like "a hostile to the target that is not unconscious or incapacitated", that is, it does not necessarily have to be your ally so much as an enemy of your enemy. But I'm trying not to side-track on that.
    Rogues get sneak attack if they have advantage OR if they have an ally within 5 feet of the enemy you are attacking. This applies to ranged attacks as well as melee.

Flanking is an optional rule. My table gives a +1 to all attacks with flanking (defined an an ally on the exact opposite side of the enemy). We do this as advantage is a much bigger plus than the +1 to hit. It works out well for us.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Keep in mind that in 3.5, moving more than 5ft within an enemy's reach would typically provoke an opportunity attack.

That isn't a concern in 5e, so flanking becomes much less of a gradual accomplishment and more of an "always on."

In order for flanking to work appropriately, I think you have to rework the opportunity attack rules a bit, so you can't just run circles around enemies without them having a say at it.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    Keep in mind that in 3.5, moving more than 5ft within an enemy's reach would typically provoke an opportunity attack.

That isn't a concern in 5e, so flanking becomes much less of a gradual accomplishment and more of an "always on."

In order for flanking to work appropriately, I think you have to rework the opportunity attack rules a bit, so you can't just run circles around enemies without them having a say at it.
    As long as you apply it both way it has never been an issue for our table. It actually makes encounters with critters that have pack tactics WAY more deadly.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

We have run with flanking for 18 levels and it's fine,
    since all of our enemies also have it, and flanking
    is also potentially dangerous as now you are in melee
    range of some very nasty attacks at higher levels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    As long as you apply it both way it has never been an issue for our table. It actually makes encounters with critters that have pack tactics WAY more deadly.
    Why would it make critters with pack tactics more deadly? They have advantage without the optional flanking rule. What does using the flanking rule change that makes them more deadly?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armored Walrus View Post
    Why would it make critters with pack tactics more deadly? They have advantage without the optional flanking rule. What does using the flanking rule change that makes them more deadly?
    because my table does flanking as a +1 to attack, not advantage (from a previous message in this thread). Pack tactics means advantage and +1 to attack
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer