New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Need Suggestions for Movie Night

After two days of cleaning in the depths of my garage, aka the Pit of Despair, I feel like a movie tonight.

So I’m looking for suggestions. Recent movies I’ve liked include Arrival—I enjoyed this tremendously in the theater, but it’s slightly too thinky for my mood right now. I absolutely loved Doctor Strange, I have the warm fuzzies for The Force Awakens, and I had fun with Passengers.

Two real-world movies I really enjoyed are Hidden Figures, which was a great feel-good movie, and Queen of the Desert, which was excellent despite its rather measured pace.

Right now my default is either The Incredibles or Big Hero 6, and I’m on the fence about Fantastic Beasts, so I’m open to other suggestions. Logan isn’t available to rent yet, or I’d give that a whirl; same with Ghost in the Shell.

What I would really like to see is something like Midnight Special: taut, involving, quirky, thoughtful, and warmly surprising in its own odd way. So with all that in mind—any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Need Suggestions for Movie Night

Except for
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The Incredibles or Big Hero 6
    I haven't seen any of the films you listed. Between the two, I liked The Incredibles better, but Big Hero 6 was OK.

Otherwise I recommend Gattaca for a drama, and The Princes Bride for a comedy.
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2017-05-17 at 09:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Primer

Primer is of note for its extremely low budget ($7000), experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth, a college graduate with a degree in mathematics and a former engineer, chose not to simplify for the sake of the audience.[4] The film collected the Grand Jury Prize at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, before securing a limited release in the United States, and has since gained a cult following.[5]
    not once, but several times, i experienced ontological horror from this movie. don't bother looking that up, it has to be experienced.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really liked Big Hero 6. I feel it doesn't get enough credit. It's exciting, it's funny, it's occasionally very touching. Just like a good Disney movie should be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post

I second this one.

It was the best Science Fiction film I've seen this decade (admittedly a low bar).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Hidden Figures struck me as similar in some ways to The Imitation Game, which I'd recommend. It also features Benedict Cumberbatch, who starred in Doctor Strange.

Ghost in the Shell is supposedly full of great visuals, yet nowhere near as intellectual as its source material. Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex (or really, any of the anime) is great to binge on, but can be very dense and hard to follow at times. If you like heady stuff, though, this is outstanding.

Since you enjoyed Doctor Strange, I'd also suggest any of Stephen Chau's movies. In particular, Kung Fu Hustle and From Beijing With Love are very funny, heartful action comedies. They're Chinese, but slapstick works well in any language.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

If you have Netflix access, the Netflix original ARQ is really cool. Also, if you haven't watched any of the miniseries Black Mirror, you can check those out as well - each 'episode' is self-contained like a small movie. The very first one of Season one is squick IMHO, but the rest are outstanding.

If you've enjoyed Princess Bride, definitely check out Stardust, which is based on a Neil Gaiman book.

Children of Men is, according to the film critics at CinemaSins, the best movie made since 2000.

Edge of Tomorrow, also shown as "Live Die Repeat", was largely maligned, but I though was fantastic. It's much better than the typical "Tom Cruise needs a new yacht" style movie that I had expected.

Moon is also an outstanding movie with a tiny, tiny cast that is probably second only to The Martian in a "really really near future" type movie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    ..If you've enjoyed Princess Bride, definitely check out Stardust, which is based on a Neil Gaiman book.

I hesitate to second Stardust even though it's actually the best fantasy film I've watched that was made this decade.

It's not as good as Princess Bride or the Gaiman novel, but it's still worth watching if you don't pay much for it (I got the DVD from library).

Besides The Princess Bride, off the top of my head, some fantasy films that I've enjoyed are:

The Thief Of Bagdad
    (1940 version)

Beauty and the Beast
    (1946 version)

Time Bandits

Excalibur

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Jason and the Argonauts

Journey to the Center of the Earth

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad

Ulysses

The Time Machine
    (1960 version)

and

First Men in the Moon

Yeah there all old, I guess I was less picky when I was younger, or maybe I just like stop-motion better than CGI.

Dagnabbit.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    taut, involving, quirky, thoughtful, and warmly surprising in its own odd way
    Well, if you haven't seen Coraline or Kubo and the Two Strings, now's a good time.

Also, check back for the '95 movie version of Ghost in the Shell with Oshii directing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Well, if you haven't seen Coraline or Kubo and the Two Strings, now's a good time.

Also, check back for the '95 movie version of Ghost in the Shell with Oshii directing.
    Laika is an outstanding animation shop. Any of their movies (including Coraline and Kubo) are a real joy to watch. Kubo in particular reminded me of how badly I miss Studio Ghibli.

Speaking of which, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, or any number of other Ghibli flicks are pure confection for the eyes. Also, Princess Mononoke has an English dub written by Neil Frickin' Gaiman.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2017-05-17 at 04:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Laika is an outstanding animation shop. Any of their movies (including Coraline and Kubo) are a real joy to watch. Kubo in particular reminded me of how badly I miss Studio Ghibli.

Speaking of which, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, or any number of other Ghibli flicks are pure confection for the eyes. Also, Princess Mononoke has an English dub written by Neil Frickin' Gaiman.
    Damn, was gonna suggest Ghibli too.
    Personally my favorites are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke (tied 1st - the former the best coming of age story I've ever seen, and the latter a rather dark yet astonishingly beautiful masterpiece with themes concerning nature and human civilization), Nausica of the Valley of the Wind (3rd - it's so unreal, but at the same time, ever so realistic. A possible future if people make the fatal mistake of an apocalypse war), and Laputa, the Castle in the Sky (4th - straightforward adventure, and the best in that genre).
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    Damn, was gonna suggest Ghibli too.
    Personally my favorites are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke (tied 1st - the former the best coming of age story I've ever seen, and the latter a rather dark yet astonishingly beautiful masterpiece with themes concerning nature and human civilization), Nausica of the Valley of the Wind (3rd - it's so unreal, but at the same time, ever so realistic. A possible future if people make the fatal mistake of an apocalypse war), and Laputa, the Castle in the Sky (4th - straightforward adventure, and the best in that genre).
    While we're feeling Miyazaki's side of Ghibli, gotta plug Takahata with Princess Kaguya. Also, beyond Ghibli, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers for maximum quirk (and a lighter tone than his other work).