Some people deserve champagne

Spoiler
    Show
    Jesus does the Emperor comes of as Satan

Edit: by the way, the girlfriend has a theory

Spoiler
    Show
    that they will discover Lorca Prime prisoner on QoNos
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2018-02-05 at 09:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Star Trek Discovery, finally a trailer

Spoiler
    Show
    So it looks like this season is going to come full circle. Burnham started the season mutinying against Captain Georgiou for all the wrong reasons,
    but now she will have to mutiny against another Captain Georgiou, but this time in defense of actual Federation ideals and Saru and the rest of the crew will stand with her this time.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

3. - Top - End - #513

Well, I got caught up on the last couple episodes after the ''break''.

My big complaint it that the show is moving way, way, way too fast story wise. Like ok, the theory is that the average 2018 viewer has the attention span of a gold fish? So instead of a normal TV season of 22 episodes, you just barley make like 12. And in 2018 views like more plot and story arcs and not the random mess of random stuff happens every week.

But, because the season is pathetically short...there is simply no time to ''do'' anything. You have like episode 4 where event A happens, episode 5 does not mention it much, and then BAM episode 6 and the arc is over. It's like ''blink and you will miss it'', and so pointless that ''they might as well not even bothered."

Like take:
    Spoiler: Mirror
    Show

Ok, the USS Discovery finds themselves in the Mirror Universe! Cool!

So, ok, they decide the best thing they can do is pretend to be the ISS Discovery. So, start a pointless cool idea plot that they did nothing at all with. They half faked being the ISS Discovery for like five minutes, had some episodes where that was not even mentioned, and then BAM it was over.

WHAT AN UTTER WASTE!

They could of had a couple episodes of the fake ISS Discovery!

Just think of the episodes that could have been:

*The Empire orders the fake ISS Discovery to go to the planet Kort and kill all the children there so thier blood can be made into face cream. The good Starfleet crew is horrified, of course. But they get the big dilemma: What to do? Do they just *do it* as they feel they ''must'' play along so they don't get discovered? To they try and find a way of faking doing it, so it looks like they did it? Do they just try and delay it, just so they don't have to do it? LOTS of drama here.

*The Empire orders the fake ISS Discovery to go help the ISS Deadpool that has taken heavy damage in a fight. Of course the fake ISS Discovery crew is happy to have a easy ''help others'' mission. But Captain Wilson is eager to get his ship fixed so he can do some horrible murderhobo stuff. So what do the Starfleet people do? Just help them and say ''oh whatever they do after we help is not on us"? Do they simply destroy the ISS Deadpool? Do they try and walk the middle of help them...but like do the ''oh, it will take like two weeks for your engines to warm up''. Or do they try and convert some of them to not be Chaotic Evil?

*The Empire orders the fake ISS Discovery to transport some important prisoners to to Agony Prison One. So does our Starfleet crew just deliver them and warp away? Maybe let them escape? Maybe to to ally with them?(and this could have the fun twist that the prisoner Terrans are just as evil as all the rest) Maybe try and free all the prisoners?

*And the best of all: A Tilly Episode. You know a whole episode all about and focused on just that character. Were we'd see how hard it is for her to play evil. Have her goofy at first...then maybe ''over play'' it and have fun. Up until she has to like ''kill a guy and eat his heart'', then she has the huge problem of if she can do that..or can she fake it? And like if Evil Bob finds out and might expose her....is she ok with killing him in cold blood just to keep the secret? How does it effect her mind ''playing evil'' all the time....like if she ''plays evil too much'' does she start to become evil? Talk about huge character development here....

Thought it's nice to see
    Spoiler: War! What is a good for...
    Show

Starfleet loosing the war! Horray! The ''discovery'' Starfleet is way, way, way, way too whimpy. They deserve to die. So to have them beating down...and all most getting killed off, makes them get smart and strong. So that we have the ''in 10 years'' Kirk Starfleet of ''we come in Peace, but shoot to kill''.

It can also nicely explain how the super tech that discovery has is all gone ''in ten years''.

And, if section 31 will be part of Discovery it does show very much so why they must exist and are needed.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    So instead of a normal TV season of 22 episodes, you just barley make like 12.
    Speaking as a Brit, 22 episodes always seemed excessive to me.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

5. - Top - End - #515

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Speaking as a Brit, 22 episodes always seemed excessive to me.
    It is normal for American TV, both Broadcast Networks and Syndication. But now with a lot of shows being made by cable channels or internet companies they have dropped down to like 12 episodes. I guess to save money? Though it's a bit odd as why would they not want to make more of a popular show they can sell and make money of off?

But the shows, and the story and the writing really do suffer in a small short 12 episode season. And it's twice as bad as most shows are continuing stories, and not just a bunch of random stand alone episodes. There simply is no time to ''do'' anything. If an event happens in episode 9 it MUST be over quick, as there are only like three episodes left. And it prevents the show from ever having personal episodes for all the main cast.

Like take any other Star Trek show. Every couple episodes they would do a ''one character'' focus episode that mostly had just about all the focus on one character. Or they would do a ''two character'' show. The shows were great as they had a ton of focus on just one or two characters and have a lot of drama and character development. For The Next Generation, Tapestry is one of the best epsiodes...and it's just about all about Picard, with everyone else only getting tiny cameos. DS9 had It's Only a Paper Moon, and that show was all about Nog. Discovery could really use some episodes like that.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

Like take any other Star Trek show. Every couple episodes they would do a ''one character'' focus episode that mostly had just about all the focus on one character. Or they would do a ''two character'' show. The shows were great as they had a ton of focus on just one or two characters and have a lot of drama and character development. For The Next Generation, Tapestry is one of the best epsiodes...and it's just about all about Picard, with everyone else only getting tiny cameos. DS9 had It's Only a Paper Moon, and that show was all about Nog. Discovery could really use some episodes like that.
    I can see where those have a place in a semi-serialized show, where the focus is more on "problem/alien/plot of the week" with occasion multi-show archs but I'm seeing what they are doing with ST:D as a book, complete with prologue, individual chapters, and a epilogue. Yes, things seemed 'rushed' to those viewers who are used to things being overly long and or stretched out, but I for one, really enjoyed the format of the show. Sure, I think some things deserved to have more detail and/or focus, and some others, less, but the overall pace was spot on.

I think they did a fantastic job and look forward to the next season (far more than I look forward to the next film!)

7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground

Best season 1 of any Star Trek show I'd say

8. - Top - End - #518
    Spamalot in the Playground

Finished the season and LOVED it. In the running for my favorite Star Trek of all time. My only complaint was
    Spoiler
    Show
    how much "The War" overshadowed Starfleet's primary objectives. Now that the war is over, my hope is that Discovery can actually relax and go DISCOVER some stuff, without being forced to do so for purely military purposes. Though that last frame suggests they're about to get flung into another crisis.

Well, I got caught up on the last couple episodes after the ''break''.

My big complaint it that the show is moving way, way, way too fast story wise. Like ok, the theory is that the average 2018 viewer has the attention span of a gold fish? So instead of a normal TV season of 22 episodes, you just barley make like 12. And in 2018 views like more plot and story arcs and not the random mess of random stuff happens every week.
    This is very much a feature, not a bug. Every single episode served the overall plot in some way, with no filler episode or here-today-gone-tomorrow-antagonist "monster of the week" to deal with. The closest Disco had to that was Mudd's time loop episode, and even that served the overall plot (establishing both the lead romance, and the wibbly-wobbly chronophysics of Stamets' connection to the Mycelium.) The writers weren't forced to add any padding, flashbacks, repetitive/ominous commercial break stingers, or any of the other crap we've become accustomed to by the realities of "normal TV". Hell, they could even release a new episode during the freaking Super Bowl without worrying about ratings! How can anyone look at Discovery and not feel optimistic about the evolution of television as a medium? A model where the fans can directly support and finance the shows they want to see? This is a clear and unambiguous step forward, and has zilch to do with "goldfish."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Finished the season and LOVED it. In the running for my favorite Star Trek of all time. My only complaint was
    Spoiler
    Show
    how much "The War" overshadowed Starfleet's primary objectives. Now that the war is over, my hope is that Discovery can actually relax and go DISCOVER some stuff, without being forced to do so for purely military purposes. Though that last frame suggests they're about to get flung into another crisis.

This is very much a feature, not a bug. Every single episode served the overall plot in some way, with no filler episode or here-today-gone-tomorrow-antagonist "monster of the week" to deal with. The closest Disco had to that was Mudd's time loop episode, and even that served the overall plot (establishing both the lead romance, and the wibbly-wobbly chronophysics of Stamets' connection to the Mycelium.) The writers weren't forced to add any padding, flashbacks, repetitive/ominous commercial break stingers, or any of the other crap we've become accustomed to by the realities of "normal TV". Hell, they could even release a new episode during the freaking Super Bowl without worrying about ratings! How can anyone look at Discovery and not feel optimistic about the evolution of television as a medium? A model where the fans can directly support and finance the shows they want to see? This is a clear and unambiguous step forward, and has zilch to do with "goldfish."
    Don't mind the fanboys, they always get upset when someone other than the Creator changes any tiny little thing. And then when it turns out bad, they can claim how they were right all along about x changes.
    I'm curious if they are going to fall for The OC problem where they cram so much into the first season that it runs out of ideas.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, did I call that cameo at the end or what?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

With the exception of TOS, I would say that Discovery has had the strongest first season of any Trek series. I did think the finale was disjointed, but overall, I'm glad Discovery is here, I'm glad to have Trek back.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    With the exception of TOS, I would say that Discovery has had the strongest first season of any Trek series. I did think the finale was disjointed, but overall, I'm glad Discovery is here, I'm glad to have Trek back.
    I felt the ending was a bit cheesy, but I liked the season overall. I wonder who they'll cast as the new captain.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I felt the ending was a bit cheesy, but I liked the season overall. I wonder who they'll cast as the new captain.
    Maybe
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prime Lorca?

If it isn't, then there's either another test in store for Saru or S2's captain is an entirely new character.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

I just assumed the new captain would be a Vulcan, since they are meeting them on Vulcan. I suppose that's not necessarily true, though.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I just assumed the new captain would be a Vulcan, since they are meeting them on Vulcan. I suppose that's not necessarily true, though.
    Wasnt Spock the first Vulcan in Starfleet? nevermind we seen Vulcan admiral.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2018-02-14 at 05:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Maybe
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prime Lorca?

If it isn't, then there's either another test in store for Saru or S2's captain is an entirely new character.
    I doubt it's {spoiler}. I can definitely see him showing up as a gotcha at some point (everyone is very quick to assume he snuffed it, when we've clearly established that both versions retain all their resourcefulness and intellect), but if he were going to be a regular we'd have run into him by now.

Agree with you on further testing Saru - if he were unequivocally ready (I mean, according to all my friends he is, but Starfleet doesn't seem to think so) then they would have done that as a coda to season 1. Perhaps by S3 they'll be on board.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Is that why they were going to Vulcan? Honest question, I don't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Is that why they were going to Vulcan? Honest question, I don't remember.
    Yes, to pick up their new captain. And to drop off Sarek, but that was more of a 'since you're heading that direction anyway' sort of thing.