New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Legacy of the Crystal Shard: Act I

Kurotah Morgram
    Level One Goliath Ranger

"I've always wondered what drove people to make their town in such a place, let alone ten of them." Kurotah says, not particularly having much to add to the conversation at the moment and mostly worried what the roads were going to be like from here on out considering the storm. This wouldn't make for easy travel further north and moreso was a bad omen for any hopes of travel south before the snow choked the passes. He worried he might be stuck in the ten towns area, looking after a wizard and a thief for the entirety of winter. "I don't mean to sound ...uh... whats the word? I know my people live in a place just as harsh and love it... it just doesn't seem like the sort of place to try and have a whole town. Isn't there plenty of lands to the south?"

The half-giant was a little surprised when Sir Kane approaches and begins a nervous line of inquiry. They had spoke some on the journey but he clearly had enjoyed the conversation of the other caravaners more than the aloof goliath. Still, he knew the man was good-natured and doing his best to keep things in order in their little motley crew. "My tribe mostly hunts in the areas here and here, and for the winter we seek shelter among the cliffs here." He says, indicating to several areas a little south and a ways east of where the man had indicated on the map, near the northern edges of the Spine of the World. He thinks for a moment about any stories or far travelers that reported anything matching that sort of description and shares it with the man.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I don't know if I know this thing outright. If I do, I obviously tell him. If I need a history check:

History : (1d20)[2]

I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Icewind Dale, Caravan Trail, Day 26.

Sir Kane rest and hand on Kurotah's shoulder and asks that if he remembered anything at all that might help in his search, to pass the information along.

The skies clear two days later and mark the start of the tiresome job shoveling snow. The caravan makes slow but steady progress, the topic of taking off the wheels and making sleighs of the wagons is brought up a few times, but Beorne points out that being so close to Bryn Shander, the day it would take to find suitable wood, craft and refit the wagons wouldn't be worth it. Eventually, the snow melts, compacts and refreezes enough to allow passage over the top of it. The barren tundra is clothed in white and outside the shelter of the cave and mountains, the howling wind saps what little warmth you manage to get during the day and at night, huddled behind the rude shelter of circled wagons, the sound of the groaning breeze is a constant companion.

This morning, however, there is a sense of liveliness as the caravan breaks camp. Beorne has indicated that the caravan might be able to make its destination before nightfall if everyone pushes hard today. Not wanting to spend a single night more than necessary in this unforgiving wasteland, everyone hastens to hitch their wagons. As your fellow travelers make ready, they speak of the comforts that await them at your destination, the trade town of Bryn Shander.

"Once I’ve seen to the wagons, it’ll be straight to Kelvin’s Comfort for me,"
    declares Beorne, doing a last check up the line. "A cup o’ Flamebeard’s Firebrandy will warm ye up faster than any hearthfire!" Swinging up into his seat next to Zenith, he gives a shout and cracks his reins, and the caravan rumbles forward.

As you continue northward, the featureless tundra gives way to a range of low hills. According to Beorne, it is upon the last,and highest, of these hills that Bryn Shander is situated, and at the sight of them the caravan presses forward with renewed determination. The rocky, scrub-covered slopes provide a welcome bulwark against the wind, and as you leave the tundra behind, a gentle snow begins to fall.

As the caravan steers around the base of one hill,you suddenly hear the scream of horses and the shouting of riders coming from the back of the train. Through the snow, you can make out the figure of a great saber-toothed cat looming over a caravan guard, who is weaponless and pinned to the ground. The teamster of a nearby wagon fights to regain control of his panicked horses, but the beasts pull wildly at their harnesses as they attempt to flee, and with a lurch the wagon tips and crashes to the ground.

The large cat looks up at the nearest wagon and opens is jaws wide letting out a piercing scream, not a roar at all, but something akin to a man being run through with a blunt spear. It then dips it's head clamping it's huge fangs around the downed guard, who it then begins to drag back toward one of the nearby hills.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative
    The Party

NPCs
    Crag Cat

The party is up. The cat attacked near the end of the caravan train and is ~80 ft away and moving away from the caravan to the west. Snow is falling thick enough that vision is affected. Perception checks further than 60 ft away are made at disadvantage.

@Kurotah

You *know* what this is. This is a Hunter of Men as your people know them, interested only in the flesh of people, not beasts, though it will eat a cow or sheep if hungry enough. They're fierce predators, dangerous, canny and stealthy, their fur blending effortlessly with their surroundings and some strange charm makes them impossible to track magically. It's strange for one to attack a group so large, usually only the aftermath of their kills are found. Lone wanders come upon while asleep or exhausted.

Enemy AC HP Effects
    Crag Cat 13 ??/?? ??
    Party Status
    Alistair 9/9
    Faeranduil 10/10
    Kurotah 12/12
    Siegfried 11/11
    Zenith 9/9

LotCS Shun Ling Jun Camilla
    OOC | Doc IC | OOC IC | OOC IC | OOC

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair Graymond
    Spoiler: Combat Stats
    Show

AC: 12 (15 with Mage Armor) HP: 9 / 9 Temp HP: 8 / 8
    Arcane Recovery 1/1
    Slots: 2 / 2 --
    Active Spells / Features: None
    Concentrating on:
    Afflictions: None

From the backboard of the wagon Alistair was sitting upon, the scream of the horses as they go up easily reach his ears. His attention is pulled immediately to the back of the caravan train; or what little he could see of it through the thick snow.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[2]

The crash of the wagon falling to the ground comes next, followed by the scream, roar, cry of some....thing....Alistair had never heard before. "Kurotah! What the hell was that?!" Alistair calls out to his Goliath companion, whom he hoped wasn't far, before bolstering himself with Necromantic energy. He looks around to see if anyone is watching before muttering low, his words barely perceptible as he traces a swift pattern upon his forehead with his Arcane Wand. "I borrow this life energy from those who have passed, may it protect me."

Spoiler: False Life
    Show

False Life
    Necromancy
    Level: 1
    Casting time: 1 Action
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S, M (a small amount of alcohol or distilled spirits)
    Duration: 1 hour
    You gain 1d4 + 4 temporary hit points for the duration. (1d4+4)[8] Temporary HP Gained. (WOO for max temp HP! I might need it >.>)

At higher level
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you gain 5 additional temporary hit points for each slot level above 1st.

"Something is out there, but this snowfall is making it difficult to keep it located. Can anyone see whatever made that...noise?" Alistair asks out loud to everyone before moving as far as he can towards the end of the wagon train. (30ft).
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-07-06 at 11:38 AM.
    Airannis Ragnok Kamui Draykhen
    IC IC IC None Yet

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid
    Show
    HP: 9/9 AC: 14
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

"Shipbuilding? Not...as..such. I'm a quick learner, thouh.
    I may be able to convince someone to teach me."
    He looks around at the weather one more time, the snow falling more heavily than he had ever seen before. "It does stop snowing up here, right? I mean..I wouldn't have to work in the cold all the time?" Thinking of the name of the place, though, he resides himself to the fact that it will be, in fact, cold all the time.

Faeranduil is thrilled to hear that they will soon be out of the snow and into a nice, warm inn. Nothing would keep him away from the hearth for the next few days. A nice warm fire...a comfortable chair.

The crash and scream pull him out of his daydream. He jumps up from his seat and dives for cover in one of the wagons. "They're back! They've come after me! Corellon protect me!" From the back of the wagon, he peeks his head up just enough to try and look behind him.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Panic. Dive for cover.

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-06 at 12:26 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Zenith
    Spoiler: Status Box
    Show
    N Feral Winged Tiefling, Rogue 1

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft., Fly 30 ft. | Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 14

Initiative: +3 | Armor Class: 14 | Hit Dice: 1d8+1 | Hit Points: 9

Spell Slots: N/A | Concentration: N/A

Affected by: None | Conditions: None

Zenith wasn't the type to be the first into the fray, but a tipped wagon and lost goods was serious business in this kind of weather. Quick as a whip he was out of the lead wagon's passenger seat and streaking down the back side of the caravan toward the commotion. Not seeing the cause of the panic he sets himself to helping settle the horses, raising his hands and trying to calm the beasts before they tear free of the undercarriage.

Show
    Not sure how much movement is needed... if only 60 ft I'll move/BA and use action to calm horses. Otherwise I'll triple move toward them. If animal handling is needed I'll roll in OOC, forgot to include here.
    Perception (disadv): (1d20+4)[12] or (1d20+4)[7]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-07-06 at 12:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Kurotah Morgram
    Level One Goliath Ranger

Kurotah would find himself in the group advising against a wagon-sled conversion. It might make things easier though the fresh snowfall but it would be a lot of time and effort spent now and then just as much spent later to undo the work. He also wasn't particularly in the mood for chopping down any trees...hacking into a wagon to save a half-frozen elf had been more than enough fun for now. "I was hoping the snow would have waited at least a day or so; I'd love to be in town by nightfall and could do with a little less excitement along the road... even from the weather." He mentions to whoever happened to be nearby as they trudge ever onward.

"Sabertooth!" The half-giant calls out when he finally catches sight of the best. He knew what this thing was and the fact it was attacking them, seemingly alone, greatly concerned him. He'd have to share with the others why once the threat was dealt with but for now time was of the essence. "Eyes peeled for more; They camouflage." As quick as he's able, he readies bow and arrow and attempts to get a clear shot off at the creature.

Show
    Attack : (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage : (1d8+2)[9]

I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Siegfried Sturmkein
    Level One Human Paladin of Tyr

Show
    AC: 18 HP: 11 Temp HP: 0
    Lay On Hands: 5 / 5
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried curses and begins to run towards the back of the caravan. "Tyr protect me!" He bellows, pulling out his holy symbol and casting Shield of Faith on himself. The symbol glows briefly with a holy light and small plates of transparent yellow light appear around his body. He tucks the holy symbol away, charges forward, and pulls out his morningstar and shield into a ready position.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

Siegfried uses Shield of Faith to grant himself +2 AC as a bonus action, and then uses the Dash action to move an additional 20 feet, putting him at 40 feet from his starting position.

Initiative:
    (1d20-1)[1]
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-07-06 at 05:16 PM.
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

8. - Top - End - #128

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Crag Cat Attack

Chaos once again breaks out as people shout, animals scream and people begin running in two directions, those with armor and weapons toward the commotion at the back of the line and those without, the other way as teamsters try their best to control panicking animals. Kurotah's arrow flies true, quickly followed by the thunk of Bruce's crossbow from atop his perch and an arrow Helda's which slams into the beasts mouth causing it to drop the body of the guard and paw at the arrow jutting from it's snout. The other guard who had been watching the rear rushes forward then, knotted club held high as he drives the large cat off with a slap to it's rear, sending it bounding through the snow only to vanish as it's fur blends effortlessly with the environment.

Running forward Siegfried only manages to catch the blue of the creature's eyes in his peripheral vision before another of the beasts jumps at him, it's razor sharp claws stopping inches from his armored side as the golden light surrounding him flares brightly repulsing the cat momentarily.

Show
    Initiative: Round 2
    The Party

NPCs
    Crag Cat

Round 1 Summary
    • Alistair, Siegfried and Zenith move toward the Crag Cat
    • Kurotah shoots it with an arrow. (9 damage)
    • Faeranduil hides.
    • Bruce (Crossbowman) hits it with a bolt. (7 damage)
    • Helda send an arrow into its mouth. (12 damage)
    • Mike clubs it. (4 damage)

Round 2 Enemy Actions
    • Crag Cat drops the downed guard, runs and hides (25 stealth)
    • Another Crag Cat appears and attacks Siegfried (misses).

Siegfried is in melee with the second cat near the middle of the wagon train. Everyone is close enough to reach him with a single move. The other cat is effectively hidden and with the beating it took, probably not going to come back.

Enemy AC HP Effects
    Crag Cat 1 13 8/40 Hidden: DC 25
    Crag Cat 2 13 34/34 -
    Party Status Effects
    Alistair 9/9 -
    Faeranduil 10/10 -
    Kurotah 12/12 -
    Siegfried 11/11 Shield of Faith (+2 AC)
    Zenith 9/9 -
    NPC Status Effects
    Bruce Healthy -
    Donny Down Unconscious, possibly dead
    Mike Healthy -
    Helda Healthy -
    Last edited by Videkus; 2017-07-06 at 08:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair Graymond
    Show

AC: 12 (15 with Mage Armor) HP: 9/9 Temp HP: 8
    Arcane Recovery 1/1
    Slots: 1 / 2 --
    Active Spells / Features: False Life - 1 Hour
    Concentrating on: Nothing

Alistair watched everything unfold as arrows embedded themselves into the first creature; which promptly dropped the caravan guard and vanished into the snow. Before Alistair could think of trying to give chase, a second one jumps out at Siegfried.

I need to slow this creature so the others can bring it down, but it lives in the snow. It must be adapted to the cold. I haven't learned the incantations for anything beyond -

<Use the bell, Alistair. What did your family call it? Astarael? No...that's the bad one.> As Alistair was quickly thinking of his next course of action, the voice of Yorik entered his mind.
    It's Saraneth, Yorik, and I'm not skilled enough yet...there must be another w-
    <Saraneth. Ah yes. Your family kept these bells for a reason. Your grasp of Necromancy should allow you to use it safely. Besides, you have few other choices. So stop doubting yourself and do something for once.>

Fine. "Siegfried! Cover your ears!"
    Alistair reaches into a small little pouch upon his waist and pulls out a small bell with a dark wooden handle. He points at the large beast and then weaves the bell in the air in front of him in a pattern that sounds the low tone thrice before quickly silencing it and returning it to the pouch.

Spoiler: Toll of the Dead
    Show

Necromancy Cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: 60ft
    Component: V, S
    Duration: Instant
    You point at one creature you can see within range, and the sound of a bell fills the air around it for a moment. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom Saving Throw or take 1d8 Necrotic damage. If the target is missing any of its Hit Points, it takes 1d12 Necrotic damage instead.
    If at full health: (1d8)[5]
    If damaged: (1d12)[6]

Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-07-07 at 10:43 AM.
    IC IC IC None Yet

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid
    Show
    HP: 10/10 AC: 14
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Faeranduil peers out of the back of the wagon for a few moments before realizing the creatures are not, in fact, the small white men who had accosted him days earlier. Cats. They're just big cats, he reassures himself. With really pointy teeth. Faeranduil had no illusions about his martial abilities. He much preferred the battlefield of the marketplace, haggling out the best deal. These people saved your life, Faeran. You can at least help them a little.

The half-elf jumps out of the back of the wagon and begins making his way toward the others. As he does so, he draws his wooden sword from its sheath. He spins it once in his hand as if testing his balance as he speaks the activation word. "migumu". A faint glow surrounds the sword as he makes his way through the snow toward the remainder of the group.

Show
    Cast shillelagh.
    Move 30' towards the combat.

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-07 at 09:07 AM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Kurotah Morgram
    Level One Goliath Ranger

"Typical." Kurotah mutters to himself as the second cat leaps from its hiding place and beings to assault. He didn't know if it was seeking to cause a distraction so a mate could escape, if the pair were somehow driven to attack such a large group out of desperation, or if more of them lay in wait for the chance to strike. The best he could do is deal with the threats as they came and keep eyes peeled for more even if that seemed futile. He keeps himself near the wagons and tries to stay near the panicking caravaneers if able; he didn't want them all fleeing to one end only to have another creature pounce from there. "Calm the horses."

Show
    Attack : (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage : (1d8+2)[7]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Zenith
    Show

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft., Fly 30 ft. | Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 14

Kurotah shouts his instructions just as Zenith arrives at the back of the caravan and was already positioning himself to do exactly that. "Whoa boys! Whoa, whoa," he shouts calmly at the terrified animals, grabbing hold of the reigns near one's bit and holding it as best he can toward the ground, petting its muscled cheek and neck with a firm pat.

Show
    Action: calm horses. (1d20+2)[6]
    Move: If horses are calm, approach the cat on Siegfried (30'). If not, stay put.

13. - Top - End - #133

Siegfried Sturmkein

Show
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried gasps as the claws fail to penetrate his armor. Thanking Tyr, Siegfried retaliates with a swing of his morningstar.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

If the beast is in range, or comes in range, I'll hit it with my morningstar. Otherwise, I'll throw a javelin.

Morningstar:
    Hit (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: [roll] 1d8+3[/roll]

Javelin:
    Hit: (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage:(1d6)[5]

EDIT: messed up the damage roll for the morningstar, check the OOC thread for the damage
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-07-07 at 06:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Crag Cat Attack

The other guard at the rear, having chased off after the first cat for a few paces, turns around and slides down next to his fallen comrade checking for signs of life. Meanwhile Zenith does his best to calm the thrashing horses of the tipped cart, boxes and crates lay scattered throughout the snow as the owner slowly pushes himself to his feet from where he was thrown and comes to help, but with the smell of blood and the Crag Cat still so near they continue trying to climb to their feet while stuck in their harness.

As the other cat leaps from the snow at Siegfried it's met with more arrows, most of which find their mark. The arrows are followed by the spiked head of Siegfried's morningstar and the discordant tolling of a bell which sends the cat into a frenzy, it's claws lashing out and tearing free a few chain links from the paladin's armor but not managing the pierce the hard metal.

Show
    Initiative: Round 3
    The Party

NPCs
    Crag Cat

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    • Faeranduil hides.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    • Zenith attempts and fails to calm the panicked horses.
    • Again Kurotah's arrow hits its target. (7 damage)
    • Alistair rings a bell and hurts the Cat. (5 damage)
    • Faeranduil moves down into melee.
    • Siegfried smacks the cat with his morningstar. (5 damage)
    • Helda/Bruce attack. Bruce hits.(11 damage)

Round 3
    • Crag Cat 2 attacks Siegfried. (misses)
    • Crag Cat 1 is still missing.

Siegfried and Faeranduil are in melee with the second cat near the middle of the wagon train. Everyone is close enough to reach them with a single move.

Enemy AC HP Effects
    Crag Cat 2 13 6/34 -
    Party Status Effects
    Alistair 9/9 -
    Faeranduil 10/10 -
    Kurotah 12/12 -
    Zenith 9/9 -
    NPC Status Effects
    Bruce Healthy -
    Donny Down Unconscious, possibly dead
    Mike Healthy -
    Helda Healthy -
    Last edited by Videkus; 2017-07-07 at 09:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid

Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Adrenaline pumps through the young druid's body as he approaches the first real combat of his life. You got this, he thinks to himself as he recalls the lessons from the Protector who trained him. Firm grip, set your legs, back straight. Firm grip, set your legs, back straight.

Faeranduil grips his sword, plants his legs and stands up tall as he swings his wooden sword toward the cat.

Show
    Attack: (d20+5)[17] for (d8+3)[11] damage

As his sword makes contact with the cat, his eyes open wide in surprise. "Ha! It worked! I hit him! Did you see?"
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-08 at 10:40 AM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Zenith
    Show

Zenith didn't see. These horses were a handful, and maybe his face wasn't the best for this sort of work, but he was here and intent on finishing the job. With determination he grabs the reigns more tightly with both hands and pulls them down, trying to get a direct look into the horse's eye having heard that's supposed to help. "It's okay, you're safe. We're gonna get to town just fine," he soothes, not sure if he's talking to the horse or himself. "As long as those giants Beorne mentioned don't show up." the tiefling adds under his breath.

Show
    Same as before:
    A: calm horses (1d20+2)[13]
    M: if calm, he'll take a few steps forward and draw his bow, taking aim at the remaining beast.

17. - Top - End - #137

Siegfried Sturmkein

Show
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried looks around the field,
    keeping an eye out for the first cat. "By the light!" He swears, noticing the downed guard. Dropping his pack onto a nearby caravan, Siegfried rushes over to the downed guard, heedless of the feline foes that may attack him. He reaches the guard and uses his holy power to grant healing.

healing
    Spoiler
    Show

I'll use my 5 lay on hands points to restore 5hp to Donny
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-07-08 at 02:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Crag Cat Attack

The faint ringing of a bell sounds out again, this time though the cat seems unaffected. From Alistair's point of view the cat blurs in your vision as the echoing of your bell sounds back in your ears making it feel as if your brain is imploding something warm runs over your lip and when you wipe at it, your fingers come away red. The tolling fades away and your vision clears leaving you with only the amused chuckling of Yorik as the rest of the group seemed to have dealt with the cat in that time, a triumphant Faeranduil standing over his kill.

Siegfried rushes through the churned up snow, finally noticing the two guards at the rear of the train, one of them not moving and cradled in the lap of the other. When you arrive both of them are covered in blood, Donny having been picked up in the maw of the first beast, has various cuts all over his body his leather armor hanging loose on his body. Turning him you can see the main cause of injury, his back ans shredded from where the cat had originally pounced on him, his armor is cut through and so is his back. As you strip off your gloves and places your hands on the bloody mess, the bleeding stops almost immediately and the worst of the gashes on his back slowly close as the divine energy commands them. When you're done he gasps briefly, his eyes opening wide before he rolls over and throws up. "Thank you!" the other guard, the two were brothers or cousins you remember, turns a teary face toward you and grips your arm before you pull away.

Between Zenith and the wagon owner the horses are eventually calmed, still tied in their harness and stuck laying on the ground, their breath puffs out in clouds of steam, but the thrashing has stopped. "There, there, girls," the owner strokes their necks keeping them calm while Zenith moves off, bow at the ready.

Although the original beast is gone and the other lies dead, the havoc hey wrought remains. The toppled wagon is damaged, but thanks to the efforts of Zenith it isn't as damaged as it might have been had the horses kept thrashing about, and dozens of crates and cartons lie scattered on the ground, a few of them having burst and spilled their contents across the new-fallen snow. The wagon’s driver curses as he tries to untangle the horses, but the nearby guards make no move to help him; instead, they eye the surrounding hills warily, now seeing danger in every shadow and crevice. A grunt from behind you draws your attention to Beorne Steelstrike.

The dwarf’s weathered face is turned skyward, and a thin layer of snow frosts his beard. "It’s falling faster," he mutters. With another grunt, he turns to face the struggling wagon-driver. "Leave it!" Beorne shouts. "We’ll be snowed in by nightfall if we don’t move on."

The driver bristles at Steelstrike’s order. "After having come all this way, I’ll not leave my cargo to be ransacked by brigands so close to Bryn Shander’s walls! If you’ll not help me set my wagon right, at least let me load my goods onto the rest of the train."

Beorne casts a doubting eye at the weather, then shakes his head grimly. "We’ll need every hour o’ daylight to make it to Bryn Shander, an’ the other wagons cannot afford the extra load. I’ll not risk the caravan bein’ caught in the snows again. If ye can get yer wagon righted, follow us as quick as ye may. Otherwise, we’ll send a party back to find ye once the weather clears. Moradin keep ye."

As Beorne turns his back on the stunned wagon-driver, he notices you looking on. "I’ve other lives to think about besides that fool mans," he says in a low grumble, but his stern demeanor softens slightly. "Still, the gods call each of us to a different task. Stay an’ help him if ye will, though I’d rather have ye with the train in case there’s more o’ those beastly cats about."

Show
    Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    • Faeranduil hides.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    • Zenith attempts and fails to calm the panicked horses.
    • Again Kurotah's arrow hits its target. (7 damage)
    • Alistair rings a bell and hurts the Cat. (5 damage)
    • Faeranduil moves down into melee.
    • Siegfried smacks the cat with his morningstar. (5 damage)
    • Helda/Bruce attack. Bruce hits.(11 damage)

Spoiler: Round 3
    Show
    • Crag Cat 2 attacks Siegfried. (misses)
    • Crag Cat 1 is still missing
    • Alistair's spell reflects hurting the mage. (7 damage)
    • Faeranduil bludgeons the cat to death.
    • Zenith calms the horses preventing further damage to the wagon.
    • Siegfried saves Donny, the guard.

Enemy AC HP Effects
    Crag Cat 2 13 0/34 Dead
    Party Status Effects
    Alistair 10/9 False Life
    Faeranduil 10/10 -
    Kurotah 12/12 -
    Zenith 9/9 -
    NPC Status Effects
    Bruce Healthy -
    Donny Injured Battered and Bruised
    Mike Healthy -
    Helda Healthy -

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    [TABLE]
    "Ha! It worked! I hit him! Did you see?"
    Alistair Graymond
    Show

AC: 12 (15 with Mage Armor) HP: 9/9 Temp HP: 0
    Arcane Recovery 1/1
    Slots: 1 / 2 --
    Active Spells / Features: None
    Concentrating on:

<Oh, now that was a good one, Alistair.> The amused voice of Yorik enters Alistair's mind as blood trickles from his nose. <You know these bells sometime have a mind of their own...perhaps you aren't as skilled as I first thought.>

"Shut up, Yorik. I don't have time for your incessant taunting right now!" Alistair shouted out, verbally, to the voice that was only inside his mind before quickly closing his mouth. I am quite skilled enough to use Saraneth, something else must have happened. We're safe, for now, that's all that matters.

Wiping the blood from his nose with the back of his hand, Alistair approaches Faeranduil. "I'm afraid I was distracted, momentarily, as I tried to cast a spell upon this beast. It seems you brought it down with a well placed blow, however. Very good. Are you a Swordsman, of sorts? I've never seen a blade resonate with such magic before. Transmutation, is it?"

Arcana Check on the Shillelagh sword! (I just like saying Shillelagh....) (1d20+5)[11]

The Wizard looks down upon the felled creature, wondering how his bell sounded within his own ears instead of bringing down the creature that had fallen upon them.

Spoiler: Knowledge Check
    Show

(1d20)[5]
    Possible Modifiers: Wisdom +0 , Intelligence +3 (all but nature +5)

"Do we know if there are more of these creatures out there?"

--------------------------------------------------

As Alistair is taking a moment to brew one of his alchemical healing potions, he hears the back and forth between Beorne and the driver of the toppled wagon. Alistair was the kind who was used to keeping to himself, but the conditions of this place were harsh. His mannerism had to change. Alistair had his secrets, yes, but keeping to himself would do none of them any good.
    "What if Faeranduil and myself stayed back to help right the wagon, while the rest of you carried on to provide a better defense for the rest of our caravan? If those creatures return, I'm confident the Swordsman and I can fend them off long enough to reach our destination right behind you."
    IC IC IC None Yet

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid

Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Faeranduil smiles and pulls his hair out of his face as Alistair praises his abilities. "Well, you know. I don't like to brag, but I was my teacher's"only"best student for months. The sword? I made it myself from the branch of the Heart Tree in our village. I don't know anything about transmutation...I just place a blessing on it that makes it stronger and helps it to strike true."

Faeranduil is helping to clean up the mess of the tipped wagon when he hears Alistair volunteer him to stay with the wagon driver and help to bring the broken wagon in. He drops the goods he is holding and takes half a step closer to Alistair as shock drains the color of his face a bit. "You...I....wha? Ummm." He looks around nervously wondering how to get out of the situation, but knew that he owed this group his life. A small smile finally comes to his face. "Sure," he said in a voice he hoped didn't sound too sickly.

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Siegfried Sturmkein

Show
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried wipes the blood off his hand using snow and retrieves his pack. He then joins the wizard and druid. He places what he hopes is a comforting hand on the druid's shoulder. "Worry not. I too shall stay behind to help. I would be a poor paladin indeed if I were to refuse aid."

22. - Top - End - #142

25 Eleint 1485 DR

"Thank you, thank you!" the wagon owner thanks Siegfried, Alistair and Faeranduil, as he scoops up some of the items Faeranduil had dropped and begins shoving them back into a chest that had burst open when it had tumbled free of the wagon. Though the time spent together on the trip, you know the man as Mikhail Black, a merchant from Luskan who had packed up all his possessions and was looking to start a fresh life in the north. This wagon and it's contents were everything he owned.

"Suit yerself," Beorne claps Siegfried on the back and gives him a nod of respect before starting back toward his own wagon at the front. "Get ready to move out, we don't want to end up stuck out in the open through another one o' them storms!" he claps his hands to get everyone moving and as he gets back to his wagon the whole train slowly begins to lurch into motion once more.

As the caravan train begins rolling out the task of getting Mikhail's wagon righted and his inventory collected is left to those that remain behind. Boxes, crates, barrels clothing and pieces of furniture lay scattered about in the snow, the wagon is tipped over laying on it's side and while the horses are somewhat calm now thanks to Zenith, they're still stuck in their harnesses and will need to be freed from them and extricated before the wagon can be righted, the damage to it properly assessed and the goods loaded back onto it. And then there is the threat that the crag cat might come back or worse creatures be drawn into the smell of spilled blood.

Show
    If any of you do decide to go with the caravan you can still catch up. They're not moving very fast in the snow.

@Alistair
    You know that a Crag Cat is large cat that dwells in the north in the Spine of the World and Icewind Dale. A hunter of men, its preferred food source, they usually attack lone travelers or pick off stragglers in rough weather. Over the course of a few weeks, their fur changes colour to match it's surrounding. (so you still have no idea why your spell might have been affected like that)
    Last edited by Videkus; 2017-07-09 at 04:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid

Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Faeranduil longingly watches the caravan pull away. After a few moments, he snaps out of it and looks around. Well. Let's get this done and get somewhere warm. While he may not be much use if they were attacked, one thing the young half-elf did know about was wagons. He quickly sets to work disconnecting the horses from the wagon. Once he has the breeching and wagon tree disconnected, he helps the horses move just far enough away from the wagon that they'll be able to get it moved without frightening them again.

While working, Faeranduil makes frequent checks out into the snow for the return of the other beast.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Animal handling if needed: (d20+3)[23]
    Perception: (d20+3)[18]

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Siegfried Sturmkein

Show
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried takes a long hard look into the surrounding snows as the caravan pulls away. Wonder if those beasts will return.
    He thinks to himself. If Siegfried sees nothing in the snow, he will begin to help.

Perception
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[8]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Kurotah Morgram
    Level One Goliath Ranger

"A 'Hunter of Men' ... Kurotah says with a solemn sound to his voice and a stern look on his face as he kneels over the downed creature a few moments later. He pulls the arrows from its hide to see if they might be salvageable and for the briefest of moments wishes there was time to properly field dress the creature and take its pelt. "Most creatures of the North simply do what must be done to survive; these things though? They seek out and attack men by choice and only bother to hunt other beasts as a necessity. He grabs the head of the creature and turns it to better examine the sharp rows of teeth in the gaping maw. "Even with the trail of blood we'd have a hell of a time tracking the best down;
    time we cannot afford to lose."

"No easy choices on the long roads of the North" The half-giant comments as he looks from the wagon train to the mess in the snow scattered around the upturned one in the snow. "I'll gladly help if its need; after all something strange is going on with those crag cats so brazzenly attacking an armed group of so many men." He scans the surroundings as if he'd get lucky enough to spot more of the creatures laying in wait to ambush. "Both sides could use all the protection they can afford ... The large man seems torn between the two options before him.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Zenith
    Show

Zenith felt for the poor guy in the back, he really did. It was an unfortunate lot the fates threw his way. "My goods are on Beorne's wagon, and I'm not inclined to separate from them this close to the end seeing as things tend to disappear when abandoned. Best of luck to you all though. Look forward to hearing how it went when you catch up; first round's on me tonight." He made his way to the front of the caravan just as Beorne was urging the horses to action. He took a few quicker steps and hopped up into his seat, looking back to see the downed wagon slowly fading into the distance. Helm keep them.

27. - Top - End - #147

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Mikhail Black

As the caravan train rolls out of sight between one of the many hills leading to Bryn Shander, the snow continues to fall. Fortunately a few hours of daylight still remains and, for now, no more Crag Cats appear to try their luck with the smaller group left behind. The newly acquired druid proves a deft hand around caravans, which isn't surprising considering he claimed to be a merchant, and had the horses freed from the wagon in short order. Quite flustered by the turn of events Mikhail begins to wander around the area looking for his belongings in the snow where they'd been tossed. Every now and then you hear him cursing as he finds something too damaged to bother trying to salvage. Now that the animals are free from the wagon, you're able to try get it upright once more without them getting in the way. Looking at it now it looks to have not taken much damage from the horses kicking hooves, a couple of boards are splintered, but nothing that wont make it the few more miles to your destination, though what might be found once it's upright again you've yet to find out.

Show
    Plan out how you're going to right the wagon and then give me a strength check.
    If you decide to help Mikhail search for and pack up his belongs, some of which have become sunk into the snow, describe that and give me a perception and investigation check.

25 Eleint 1485 DR
    Beorne's Caravan

Back on your seat next to Beorne at the front of the wagon the dwarf seems agitated as he keep looking at the clouds over Kelvin's Cairn with worry. "Those brave damn fools better not get themselves killed," he mutters passing you the reins momentarily as he stands on his seat and looks back over the wagon train like a mother duck making sure all her chicks were still following along behind. "There's worse than them cats out here," he lets you know as he sits back down.

"Well lad, we've almost made it. Ye'll find the market will snap up yer spices right quick and then you'll have the winter to your leisure. Just don't go flaunting that," he chuckles changing the topic. "The locals are a hardy folk, if you plan to spend the rest of your days up here they'll make that clear t' ye. Pull yer weight or ship out. An' they're not afraid of just throwing ye out on your arse, half the folk up here have pasts back south that they'd rather not see again. A friendly enough question normally, but a 'Where are ye from?' can end with a quick fight in a dark alley up here. Though mostly they're friendly enough in the trade towns. Bryn Shander, Easthaven and Targos. It's the smaller ones... well, small towns be the same the world over I've found."
    Last edited by Videkus; 2017-07-11 at 04:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Faeranduil Mialar
    First Level Druid
    Show
    HP: 10/10 AC: 14
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

After freeing the horses, Faeranduil looks at the wagon and shrugs. "If we all give it a good shove, or eight, we may be able to get the wagon back on the trail. Then we'll just have to re-hitch the team and we'll be on our way." He holds on to the horses continuing to soothe them, afraid they will get a sniff of the predators and bolt. He had just gotten the feeling back in his hands and feet and he was not going to get stuck out here again, by Corellon.

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair Graymond

Alistair was not comfortable. Sure, he was far warmer than he would have been were it not for the cold weather gear Kurorah had purchased for them, but the snow had melted, frozen, melted again, and generally made him less warm than he was used to.

Despite that, Alistair went to work helping locate the scattered cargo as best he could. Alistair was observant, but that was more when it came to locating things that needed finding. As he poked around in the snow for the pieces that were not readily visible above the snow, he used his wand to help displace the snow and dig into it when required.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20)[11]
    Investigation: (1d20+5)[7]
    Nature check to see if it will get worse: (1d20+3)[11]

IC IC IC None Yet

30. - Top - End - #150

Siegfried Sturmkein

Show
    Active Features:
    Concentration:
    Afflictions:

Siegfried puts a hand above his eyes horizontally, touching his forhead to block whatever light came through the clouds in order to look closely at the snow. Scanning around quickly, he will point out any fallen cargo he sees and retrieve them.

Siegfried takes one last look at the receding caravan and notices the tracks in the snow start to fill in immediately. He shivers at the sight. He tells himself it is just the cold. It is not the cold. Tyr protect me, he prays.

After an inspection of the snow, Siegfried attempts to help move the wagon into a favorable position. He drops his pack onto the white ground and begins to heave on the trader's wagon with both gloved hands, his breath frosting the air as he grunts with effort.

Perception + Strength
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception:
    (1d20+1)[12]
    Strength:
    (1d20+3)[22]
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-07-12 at 03:49 AM.