New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Blood Crown VIII

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard found himself busier than he expected trying to keep Elsa out of Edelman's crew's way - less out of any attempt to play the role of Frau Ardelean's bodyguard than the fact that Elsa didn't seem to realize just how much she was annoying them.

"We'll be fine on the ship," Sieghard said firmly. "Why not give them some peace?" he said, leading her out of earshot. "We're supposed to laying low. May as well start shooting fire from your hands as well as you're doing that right now."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Annoyance flicked across Elsa's face, swiftly replaced by feigned resignation; the resignation of a meek woman who was starting to realize her husband would always have a tight grip on her, even from afar.

"Fine," she said with a pout.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Viggo, he's not seen you in over a year, right? He's probably forgotten you. Go and describe Sieghard, see if he's seen him. Say Sieghard owes you money or something."

Ludo leaned a little closer to Adelbert. "When I was with Sandu when Savonne fell, he mentioned that he used to ship the Crimson Shade. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't still doing it."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-06-19 at 09:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert, Ludo and Viggo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert was silent for a long moment, face conflicted. "Normally I'd suggest boarding the Green Dragon with the Duke's men... but we can't take that risk until we know for sure Sieghard and Elsa aren't still aboard. If they are well away from Sandu then, yes, let's alert Forkbeard."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo thought for a moment. "Was that other letter from him?"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-06-18 at 03:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

BlackDragon

Adelbert, Ludo and Viggo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert smiled ruefully. "Almost certainly... but I left my code book hidden in Painford so I couldn't read it."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

23rd Jahrdrung

Ludo, Adelbert & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo looked a little uneasy at having the responsibility of asking after Sieghard thrust onto him - after all, if Sieghard did happen to be nearby, he wasn't going to be pleased to see him. Still, Ludo's plan made sense. Making sure the other two had a hold of Magnus, he brushed some of the dust of the road off his clothes and headed over to where the Green Dragon was moored.

The wait for him to return was short, but felt like an age. When Viggo came back into view, he didn't look like a man with a promising lead.

"No sign of them," he said, speaking in hushed tones. "Captain's off somewhere in the town - there's just a handful of the crew keeping watch. I tried to ask them about Rock Face but they gave me the cold shoulder." He looked around. "Not much space to be out of sight on that boat. Unless they're hiding in the hold I don't think they're on board."

Searching the faces of those who were still walking the docks now that night was drawing in, Adelbert did his best to find out a little more about the Green Dragon's arrival. Sandu had arrived in Savonne yesterday, he learned, fairly late in the day - but no-one knew or cared who had come on or off his boat.

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Edelman looked a little relieved that 'Lady Ardelean' had been dissuaded, but said nothing more. As the last of the work of mooring and deck-clearing was completed, the crew of the Dancing Jenny wandered away in twos and threes to the small huddle of shacks up on the rocky promontory, where by the sounds of things the watchtower men had their own still. Apart from the muffled merriment up above, the only noises on the boat as dusk drew in were the lapping of the Azril against the hull, and the calls of night birds from the trees along the bank. Bats darted over the river, snatching up the insects that drifted over the water in the crepuscular light.

Wellentag, 24th Jahrdrung

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sore heads or not - for the most part they didn't seem to have indulged too heavily - the crew of the Jenny were roused out bright and early on Wellentag to begin the next leg of the voyage. The stretch of the Azril that ran through the Karst was poor sailing for any ship, Edelman explained - the jagged rocks robbed it of any kind of consistent breeze - and so they would be relying on their oars for most of the way from here to Putbad.

Sure enough, soon the last meadows of the Downlands had given way to the blackened rocks of the Karst, pushing up like sharks' teeth from the soil. For Elsa and Sieghard both, the sight brought back unpleasant memories - the last time they had strayed into this labyrinth of sharp-edged stones had led them to the Lost Library, and all that had followed.

As the rocks grew taller and closer together, the course of the river became more constricted, and the current grew stronger. At times the Jenny seemed to be straining every oar just to stand still; at others members of the crew would clamber out onto the bank, carrying ropes that could be used to warp the boat around a particularly difficult bend. Rocks began to appear in the water too, slicing the river into narrow, branching channels.

"This is what we call the Knives," said Edelman, as the approached a point where the rocks in the river were almost as tall as those on dry land. Sieghard could see where the name came from - the great blades of rock looked fit to slice even a boat as big as the Jenny down the middle. "If there's trouble ahead, they'll be waiting in among these rocks. You tell your lads what they need to be told."
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-06-19 at 06:34 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard -- 24th

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the dangerous area, Elsa informed Morrslieb. Anyone lies in wait ahead, you warn me.

To Sieghard she said quietly, so as to not appear too commanding: "Could you perhaps have your men look armed and dangerous? Make bandits think twice before picking a fight?"

She injected a nervous tremor into her voice, but patted her maid reassuringly on the shoulder.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-06-19 at 09:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard gave Elsa a look. "Only thing that's gonna make them decide whether they attack is numbers and whether or not they think we'll fall for whatever trap they spring. Not like there's other paths through here, wouldn't be surprised if they had something like that." Then quieter, he added: "Have the bird keep an eye open for that as well."

Gathering his men, he warned them of what may lie ahead. "Captain Edelman says wreckers sometimes stalk these rocks waiting for a ship to pass. Crossbows out and loaded,
    I want all of you alert and watching until he says we're clear. If there is anyone preparing an ambush, they've probably got some sort of trap set. Rocks rolling down the bank towards us or something of the sort. If we are attacked your first duty is to protect Frau Hi-Ardelean, and then, eachother.
    "

"Start looking for places you could take cover now. If they have bows, I want you to know where to go without wasting precious time looking. And if they try to board the ship, keep firing as long as you can and let me and the crew hold them off."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard's own crossbow out and loaded as well. He's hoping if there's anyone out there we'll get advance warning through Morrslieb, but he'll still be scanning the rocks himself.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2017-06-19 at 11:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Adelbert, ViggoBot
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Not much chance of us catching them if they arrived yesterday evening." Ludo said dubiously. "I can ask around, but whatever they're doing, they'll be well into it by now."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo is also going to do a circuit of the dockers, describing Sieghard and asking if anyone's seen him or where he goes: Gossip vs 57, (1d100)[39] fate (1d100)[85]
    Same for Sandu - where did he go? Does anyone know when he'll be back? Gossip vs 57, (1d100)[26] fate (1d100)[40]

In addition! Has Ludo seen Morrslieb since we met him outside Manaan's Keep? Ideally i'd like to know retroactively (ludo has Sixth Sense if that helps) but i'm happy for ludo to only look around now. Perception vs 48: (1d100)[32] fate (1d100)[37]

Assuming that doesn't come up with anything:

"We could try the bars?" Ludo offered. "They must be staying at one of them."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo & Adelbert, 23rd Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Accosting those people who were still out and about on the riverside streets proved less than fruitful. No-one Ludo asked recognised Sieghard, or if they did, no-one cared to remember. Sandu was better-known, but those who said they'd seen him only said the captain would be about his own business. "You want to find him, try the Yellow Dog," said one man who looked like he'd been in his share of fights. "But I don't reckon you've got business with him 'less he's got business with you."

All the while, Ludo kept an eye out for black wings overhead. He'd seen no sign of Morrslieb since the raven had so conspicuously delivered Sieghard's message, and he saw no sign of him now. Particularly with night drawing in, however, that didn't mean the raven wasn't nearby.

Sieghard & Elsa, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    The Thorns looked a little alarmed at Sieghard's warning of what might lie ahead, but followed his instructions with a will. With a loud croak, Morrslieb flapped overhead, disappearing among the jagged rocks upstream.

"That bird's been following us ever since we left Savonne," said one of Edelman's crew, watching the raven swoop out of sight. "I swear to Shallya it's the same one."

"Probably following you, Arnost," came the retort. "Plenty of meat on those bones. It's just got to wait for you to drink yourself to death."

Edelman quashed the game of jeers and comebacks that followed with a stern shout. Silent apart from the rhythmic splash and strain of the oars, the Jenny began crawling her way slowly through the winding central channel of the Knives. Sieghard and his Thorns walked the deck with crossbows in hand, eyes fixed intently on the surrounding rocks.

What felt like hours passed, and no sign of waiting ambushers was seen. No arrows flew from the shadows; no boulders came rolling down the banks. Morrslieb returned briefly to the boat to perch on the mast, croaking down at the strenuous work of the boatmen below as if in mockery. No humans here, Elsa heard her familiar's voice in her head. Only lizards and wild goats. From the relish in his tone she suspected there might be one or two fewer lizards now.

Past the Knives, the Azril came together again into one broad waterway. Here the current was less fierce, and the rowers could make reasonable headway - although the tall rocks of the Karst still robbed the sails of any useful wind. Their earlier passage had taken its toll, though, and the crew of the Jenny were exhausted.

"We'll moor at the Green Hole," said Edelman. "It's sheer rock around there. Should be hard for anyone to come at us by the land." He looked to Sieghard. "If your men don't mind standing a watch, though, it'd be good to keep those crossbows handy. Never pays to let your guard down in the Karst."

The Green Hole lived up to its name. An eroded gap in the rocky riverbank had created a flooded pool, its flooded depths a deep, dark green. Elsa could see no sign of the bottom - one of the crew dropped a pfennig in the water as an offering, and she watched it sink without a trace.

"All kinds of caves under the Karst," said the man who had been teasing Arnost before, seeing her looking intently into the water. "No-one knows how deep. Man goes overboard and the current catches him... next time he comes up, it ain't air above him, but solid rock." He looked down into the depths of the pool. "They say every man who's ever drowned in the Azril's still down there, somewhere. Swimmin' about in the cold dark."

"Lukas," barked Edelman, seeing the wind-up merchant at work. "What'd I tell you about leaving the lady alone?"

Sieghard meanwhile was looking up at the rock walls surrounding the pool. Just as Edelman said, they looked sheer and smooth, their lower reaches worn into undulating surfaces by centuries of erosion. For anyone to descend onto the Jenny from the landward side would require a rope and a team of men to lower them down. Still, Edelman seemed to be determined to post a watch for the night.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

Ludo, Viggo & Adelbert, 23rd Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "I think they've given us the slip," Adelbert admitted as Ludo reappeared empty handed. "As you say we best try the inns. I'll try the The Duke of Aquitaine, you try the The Yellow Dog Viggo and you the Red Moon Ludo. I think the Duke is the only likely bet but we better check them all. It possible - even likely - that they've started rebuilding the Harvester's Haven by now especially with the festival coming up, but we'll consider that only if we come up empty handed. Let's meet in the main square in an hour or so - better that trapsing all the way back to the docks."

He paused thinking. "There is also Sandu of course. If he is carrying Crimson Shade we have an excuse to ask Forkbeard to raid the Green Dragon. We might want to move on that quickly before he slips his moorings."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The map of Savonne.

Okay more Gossiping about Sieghard and/or Elsa.

Gossip: (1d100)[12] vs. 46.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "That bird's been following us ever since we left Savonne," said one of Edelman's crew, watching the raven swoop out of sight. "I swear to Shallya it's the same one."
    That made Elsa a tad nervous. Clearly Morrslieb was not as good at being inconspicuous as he thought he was. She wondered how many people outside the southern lands could connect a raven to her; she had been carrying Morrslieb in a cage already at the time of the diplomatic mission to Savonne, and surely the northern lords had at least an informant or two in Manann's Keep.

I'll have to tell that feathered fool to keep his distances. It's not as if he can lose us easily on a river.

"All kinds of caves under the Karst," said the man who had been teasing Arnost before, seeing her looking intently into the water. "No-one knows how deep. Man goes overboard and the current catches him... next time he comes up, it ain't air above him, but solid rock." He looked down into the depths of the pool. "They say every man who's ever drowned in the Azril's still down there, somewhere. Swimmin' about in the cold dark."
    Elsa shuddered, and it was not part of her act as Lady Ardelean. Like most pyromancers, drowning ranked very high among her fears. She edged away from the water and resolved to sleep as far away from it as the cliffs allowed.

"Should we reach Putbad tomorrow, Herr Edelman?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

AdelBot sounds so much better, though
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He'll probably have unloaded it already." Ludo said ruefully. "Why don't I go to the Yellow Dog instead - if I see him, I can have a word, maybe say we're looking for a lift back to find out how long he's staying. Sounds like a good plan though - I'll see you there."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Ludo runs into Sandu, he's happy to skip forward to the meeting with Adelbert. What time will it be then?

All vs 57: Gossip for Sandu: (1d100)[59](1d100)[60] I'm going to use a fate point to boost that by +10 to a pass instead of re-rolling.
    Gossip for Sieghard: (1d100)[72](1d100)[1]
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-06-21 at 05:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Adelbert & Viggo, 23rd Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    With their plan of action decided, Adelbert and Viggo went their separate ways, leaving Ludo to make his way across the city on foot. Less than a year ago, he might have found the thought of walking alone through the narrow streets of the Warren intimidating – but considering the things he had seen, this was child’s play. That was what he told himself, at least, as he scuttled quickly through the darkened alleys.

The re-established Yellow Dog was still where Viggo had visited it last, in its new building on Needle Street. No-one had yet gone to the trouble of cleaning the soot and scorch-marks off the old sign – it wore its scars like a badge of pride. Ludo noticed a number of jackal’s-head motifs painted on a nearby wall, one fresh enough to have been splashed over one of the handbills proclaiming the Mitterfruhl tourney.

Inside, the air was a thick soup of smoke, stale ale and sweat. Squinting as his eyes adjusted from the darkness of the night outside, Ludo looked around from face to grimy face, but saw no sign of Sandu.

Asking at the bar turned up no sign of the elusive boat captain either, although several people in the Dog knew him by name. He hadn’t been here tonight, the ferret-faced barman said – he hadn’t been here for weeks. Some of the drinkers knew he was back in town, but they hadn’t seen him outside the docks.

Changing tack, Ludo told the man how it was Sandu’s passengers he was really looking for. Describing Sieghard in as much detail as he could, he finally got a bite – a man who was considerably in his cups exclaimed that he had seen a man like that getting off Sandu’s boat. “Hard looking bastard,” he said. “Was travelling with some rich girl and a pack of guards.”

Knocking back the dregs of his drink, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “You’re a bit late if you’re looking for that feller, little man. They didn’t stay long. Took ship with Jan Edelman on the Dancing Jenny.” He sniggered through a mouth of yellow teeth. “Off one boat and onto the other. Little miss precious didn’t like getting her shoes muddy.”

Staring into the empty cup as if he could will it to fill up again, he pushed it aside. “They could be halfway to Putbad by now. You want to catch ‘em, you’re square out of luck.”

“In this wind? On a fat tub like Edelman’s?” said one of his neighbours, who was slightly more sober. “They’ll be lucky if they’ve made it as far as Selsan.”

Extricating himself as painlessly as possible from the ensuing discussion of the finer points of riverboat sailing, Ludo took a last look around the tavern. There was definitely no sign of Sandu, and his numb legs were just beginning to regain enough sensation to ache – it was time to get back to the others.

~

Adelbert and Viggo were both waiting in the North Market square, under the shadow of the old crusader citadel. Morrslieb was waxing large tonight, peeking out from behind the craggy pinnacle of the Dwimmulhold like a malevolent, green-faced child.

Neither of them had found anything, at the Duke or the Red Moon. Preparing to give his own report, Ludo couldn’t stop himself from glancing over his shoulder – ever since leaving the Yellow Dog, he couldn’t shake the feeling that he was being followed...

Sieghard & Elsa, 24th Jahrdrung,

Spoiler
    Show
    ”Aye, should be,” said Edelman. “We’ll be under oars right up to the falls. Should be there by afternoon.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Though he partially suspected Edelman was taking advantage of the Thorns' presence to not have to post his own men on watch duty, Sieghard wasn't about to argue. Even past Savonne and the Knives, there no reason to take chances.

”Aye, should be. We’ll be under oars right up to the falls. Should be there by afternoon.”

"Good. Sooner we've arrived, the better." Though he didn't share Elsa's fear of water, Sieghard was still uncomfortable. He doubted he would be able to relax again until he was back in Sforza's territory.

After surveying their surroundings and deciding Green Hole was likely as good as any place in the Karst to spend the night, he went about assigning shifts for the night's watch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will join in on the first shift.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "They carried on upriver to Putbad." Ludo said. "No sign of the captain at the Yellow Dog."

He turned, ostensibly inspecting the buildings around them, a country lad out of place in the big city. In reality, he was taking the opportunity to peer into the shadows, looking for any sign of whoever was following him - hopefully they wouldn't know how sharp his eyes were in the dark.

18. - Top - End - #78

BlackDragon

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Putbad?" Adelbert repeated in disbelief. "I know Elsa was quite impressed by Groz but why go there... unless you have have something to say to Groz."

He suddenly felt very weary. "The Tilean must be angling to get Groz to defect, and since he's as a cunning as a Bretonnian harlot he wouldn't have sent an expedition unless he was sure of the answer."

Adelbert scratched at his goatee beard. "It seems we have two choices; continue our pursuit... or warn the Duke that we have reason to believe agents of the Tilean are meeting with Groz."
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-06-22 at 05:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Luviggelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    There were still a few people moving around the empty market, but if any of them were watching him, Ludo couldn't tell. Four guards by the castle gatehouse at least gave him reassurance that if he had been followed, any pursuers would be unlikely to try something here.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "...We could." Ludo said, "we could! That would really be a blow against Sforza. We don't actually know that that's what they're after - maybe they want to assassinate Groz - but we can certainly say what we know..."

"...but what if they catch Sieghard and Elsa coming back through?"

21. - Top - End - #81

BlackDragon

A+L+V

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked thrown, as if he had been expecting much more of an argument from Viggo. For the first time in a long while he smiled, looking suddenly his age again rather than a decade older.

He exhaled in relief. "We'll have to persuade the Duke that is far better to let the Tilean's spies return home thinking they've gone unnoticed. Let Sforza think he has Groz in the bag - or the Count's successor if Sieghard and Elsa intend to murder him. Of course we'll have to very careful; the Duke is a man of temper and his first instict will be to lash out against a man he thinks will betray him. Better he send an embassy to Putbad to alert the Count we know he might be playing both sides."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

LVA
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If you think we can do this and keep them safe." Ludo said. "We can go and see Forkbeard now or tomorrow."

He leaned in a little closer to Adelbert, though. "I think somebody is following me, though. I don't know who but i'm worried."

23. - Top - End - #83

BlackDragon

ALV

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked startled. After a moment's thought he whispered: "Feathered or otherwise?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Adelbert, Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't know... it's just a bad feeling." Ludo said. "But it could be one of the Thorns or somebody to do with Sandu. I think I shouldn't go to the castle with you, if they're following me - me and Viggo can go back to the docks and see if I can find when the next boat is leaving - either north or south."

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

ALV

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked uncomfortable, but nodded. "Okay, but be careful. It is getting very late. I'll try and meet you later at the Duke."

Taking his leave from the halfling and the entertainer Adelbert pulled his cloak a little tighter around himself as he hurried to the castle, already wondering to himself how he'd get inside.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

23rd Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The guards at the gates of the citadel were none too keen to let Adelbert through. Treated with the lack of respect he had come to expect from armed men, he waited in the deepening cold while a runner was sent to ask Forkbeard if this stranger was to be allowed in. At last the boy returned, and Adelbert was escorted inside.

Forkbeard was waiting for him in one of the out-buildings of the old keep – a drafty, disused place that might once have been a smithy or armoury for some former master of the city. Now it seemed to have no use at all. A single lantern had been placed on the empty windowsill, and a fire had been kindled in the ashes of the old hearth – but it had yet to impart any real heat to the room. Forkbeard was sitting on a wooden stool in front of it, wrapped in a thick gown and prodding the crackling firewood with a poker. He rose when Adelbert entered and dismissed the guards.

“Herr Schreiber,” he said, his words clipped and formal. “This is unexpected.” Looking to the door, he waited a moment to make sure the guards were out of earshot. “No reports. No responses to our messages. No sight or word of you from any travellers from the south. I had been ready to assume you were either dead or, mm, deserted.” He raised a questioning eyebrow like a weapon. “I take it this visit means you do still wish to serve the Duke?”

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Making their way back through the dark streets of the city on Magnus’ back, Ludo and Viggo headed back for the docks. The big horse was worn out from the hard day’s ride, and walked with slow, plodding steps and a hanging head.

When they reached the waterside again, the docks seemed fairly deserted, save for late-night revellers and men whose business it seemed best not to question. Certainly there were no harbourmasters or the like from whom Ludo could learn about what boats were heading upriver tomorrow. Lights and sounds were emanating from the old Greenapple house where Rorik’s Norscans had taken up residence, but Viggo steered them well clear of that place – he had no desire to be recognised by Kelda or any of her brothers-in-arms.

They had just turned down one of the narrower alleys when two figures stepped out in front of them. They were burly men, dressed like dockworkers, with bare arms exposing a good number of faded blue tattoos. Hearing a rustle from behind, Ludo looked round to see a third man stepping out of the shadows there too, blocking the way they had just came. Tattooed and heavy-set like the others, this man had a bald head and a nose that looked like it had been broken more than once. Through the rising panic, a small voice at the back of Ludo’s mind was shouting that it had seen this man’s face before – he must have been one of the crowd at the Yellow Dog.

The more relevant observation at this point was the glint of metal in his hand – a very sharp-looking longshoreman’s hook. His two friends up ahead had produced cudgels, and were advancing steadily down the alley towards them…

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talk or roll initiative – up to you. If you choose action, Magnus will act at Viggo’s initiative step.

24th Jahrdrung

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The first watch was quiet. The only sounds on deck were the slow, rhythmic creak of the ship’s timbers, and the strange echoes that came back from the smooth rock walls of the Green Hole. Despite his recent experiences – or perhaps because of them – Sieghard found it a little eerie. At one point he thought he saw something moving high up in the rocks, a glint of light like the eyes of some nocturnal animal – but whatever it was, it passed them by and did not return. Handing over to the second shift, he went below to get some sleep.

Aubentag, 25th Jahrdrung

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The next day dawned with a clear sky – but even the best wind could never have penetrated the jagged rocks of the Karst with enough strength to fill the Jenny’s sails. It was another day of hard rowing ahead, and Edelman’s crew bent their backs to the task. Suitably chastised by Elsa, Morrslieb flew out of sight of the ship, keeping an eye on anything or anyone that might be hiding in the surrounding rocks.

It had been perhaps three hours since midday when the Jenny finally arrived at her destination. With the rocks of the Karst cutting off sightlines around every bend in the river, they came upon Putbad suddenly. It was quite a breathtaking sight.

The town itself was perched on a rocky bluff, jutting up above the maze of the Karst like a castle wall. Cutting through the centre of the outcrop were the Silver Falls, where the river Azril plunged three hundred feet or more into a great pool at the base of the cliffs. There the shipping of Putbad mingled and docked, a great number of wooden jetties protruding into the calmer waters away from the base of the falls. A rickety network of wooden cranes perched on the clifftops to raise and lower cargo and passengers from the docks, while those unwilling to pay the pulley-men’s fees took the steep and narrow path that had been chiselled into the rockface itself. It looked like a gruelling climb.

There was something protruding out of the water at the very top of the falls. Shielding her eyes against the sun, Elsa squinted up at it. It was a squat, round stone statue, leaning over the edge of the plunge as if considering whether to jump. The rushing water had worn its features almost completely smooth, but what lines remained suggested a female figure. Elsa thought it looked almost dwarfish.

Pulling hard against the eddies of the pool, the Jenny drew slowly up to one of the larger jetties. As the crew busied themselves throwing down mooring-lines and shipping the oars, Edelman made sure of the whereabouts of Elsa and her party. Sieghard suspected he just wanted them off his boat and out of the way before he began unloading the rest of his cargo.

“Been a pleasure to have you aboard,” he said, as the gangplank thudded down. He glanced up at the top of the falls and made a curious sign with his hand. “Gods smile upon your pilgrimage. I think there’s someone waiting for you on the dock.”

Sure enough, a well-dressed, thin-lipped man was waiting patiently on the jetty, a roll of parchment tucked under his arm. When they descended the gangplank, he inclined his head to them in a minute nod.

“Frau Ardelean,” he said, in well-mannered Reikspiel. “You are expected. I’ve taken the liberty of reserving one of the cage lifts for you and your party.” He looked over Sieghard and the Thorns. “Although I’m afraid you won’t fit all in one go.”

Looking past him towards the falls, Elsa saw one of the wooden cages in question being winched slowly up through the thundering spray. It certainly looked faster than the long climb up the cliff – but ‘perilous’ was the word that sprung to mind.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo held his hands out wide, away from his weapons - no way could he win this fight with his sword, though Viggo might not have such an easy time escaping.

"Whoa, whoa. Gentlemen. What seems to be the problem?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I choose talking! Charm test to follow once I know what lie i'm telling them. Can RoboViggo assist me?

28. - Top - End - #88

BlackDragon

23rd Jahrdrung - Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    An expression of irritation crossed Adelbert's face. "I apologise Herr Forkbeard, but if you would wish to exchange jobs and offices I would be more than happy to oblige. Perhaps you would make a less inconspicuous spy than myself, hmm? Have I demanded a fortune in karls or a title to keep working for His Grace? Do you think I live under the reign of that Miraglianese dog for my health? I serve because I wish to and because I think our prince a far better man than the one who squats in Mannan's Keep."

He tried to calm himself a little. "As it happens I have discovered where the Crimson Shade is being grown and have a good idea who is bringing it into the city. However there is a more serious matter: I have strong reason to believe the Tilean has sent agents north to Groz. They arrived here in a riverboat yesterday and left this morning before I reached the city. I cannot say whether they seek to murder the Count or to turn him, though I fear the latter, but the Duke must know he can expect trouble from the North."
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-03 at 03:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

23rd Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "I apologise Herr Forkbeard, but if you would wish to exchange jobs and offices I would be more than happy to oblige. Perhaps you would make a less inconspicuous spy than myself, hmm? Have I demanded a fortune in karls or a title to keep working for His Grace? Do you think I live under the reign of that Miraglianese dog for my health? I serve because I wish to and because I think our prince a far better man than the one who squats in Mannan's Keep."
    Forkbeard's expression darkened.

"Perhaps we should, Herr Schreiber," he said. "Perhaps, mm, you should be the one to explain to His Grace why his eyes and ears in the south see nothing, hear nothing. I have spent quite enough of my breath defending you to him already." There was a pregnant pause. "Duke Alvarr does not accept your loyalty as, mm, a charity on your part, Herr Schreiber. He accepts it entire or not at all." Forkbeard exhaled, speaking more calmly now for having been so acerbic before. "We agreed when we entered into this arrangement that you would provide regular reports. Working for the Duke is not something you can do... part-time."

"As it happens I have discovered where the Crimson Shade is being grown and have a good idea who is bringing it into the city. However there is a more serious matter: I have strong reason to believe the Tilean has sent agents north to Groz. They arrived here in a riverboat yesterday and left this morning before I reached the city. I cannot say whether they seek to murder the Count or to turn him, though I fear the latter, but the Duke must know he can expect trouble from the North."
    This seemed to catch the old advisor's attention. "Ranald's bones," he exclaimed, "and this is the first we hear of it? When did you discover this?"

Pulling over a stool for Adelbert from a dusty jumble of furniture by the wall, he took his own seat again in front of the fire.

"Tell me everything you know. The Tilean's, mm, men - who and how many? How did they leave?" He paused, peering at Adelbert. "How did you come to know their, mm, destination?"

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Broken-nose gave a grunt that might have been a laugh. "Runty little half-men poking their noses where they're not welcome, is the problem," he said, in a voice like a bag of gravel being given a good shake. "Runty little half-men with friends that go runnin' to the castle."

Stepping closer, he made a gesture with his hook that was both beckoning and threatening. Magnus whinnied and took a few skittish steps - in the narrow alley it would be hard for the big animal to turn around.

"Get down off the 'orse and we'll explain it to yer."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you give me my cues I'll have RoboViggo assist as much as he can.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #90

BlackDragon

23rd Jahrdrung - Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert's face darkened in turn and for a moment he was silent.

He exhaled, mentally counting to five before he felt calm enough to speak again:"As it happens it was directly chasing the trail of the Crimson Shade that that led me here. I had followed the trail of the Shade to Ravenskird where I heard word from one of my friends whose identity I cannot divulge but whom I trust greatly that known soldiers of the Tilean had taken boat for here, under the guise of escorting someone innocuous. Whom I do not know, as the 'cargo' took great pains to disguise themselves but I do know the vessel they arrived on: the Green Dragon, which I strongly suspect has also been behind the Shade business. It is still at the docks though the Tilean's agents have boarded the Dancing Jenny. She has sailed unfortunately, so your best route is raiding the Green Dragon at once - and sending word to your envoy in Putbad, should you have one."
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-03 at 05:22 PM.