New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,499 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

"It's a shame to think in terms of distrust." Ludo said smoothly. "They never found anything that suggested Fischwillen was working with anyone else. The halberdiers fought well at the battle against the Orks: you need to get used to the idea that you'll be watching their backs and they'll be watching yours."

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"There's as many Thorns as ever, but there's twice as many who aren't now and I've got to keep them in line as well," Sieghard replied. "I won't be able to do that if I've got to keep track of every little thing in each company. I'd still handle the big stuff myself, but I need people who can take care of the smaller day to day things. Out of everyone, you four are the ones I think could handle it best."

"Weren't you the one who had the men pair up in Savonne when we were holding the river, Ingwald? You did that on your own without me telling you to and it was a good idea. I've left you and Hanna in command while I was away in the past and you've both done well. Gustaf and Ortwin, anything I'd have the two of you do would be with what you already know: the cannon and the wilds. You wouldn't have as many men to worry about, but you'd be doing the things you already do as well or better than anyone else."

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "It's a shame to think in terms of distrust." Ludo said smoothly. "They never found anything that suggested Fischwillen was working with anyone else. The halberdiers fought well at the battle against the Orks: you need to get used to the idea that you'll be watching their backs and they'll be watching yours."
    Hanna looked across to the halberdier's campfire. "There's men over there," she said, slowly, "who tried to dig up Fassbender's grave."

Ingwald and Gustaf nodded in strong agreement. Ortwin didn't seem quite so moved - but then again, he hadn't been in the Library.

"Weren't you the one who had the men pair up in Savonne when we were holding the river, Ingwald? You did that on your own without me telling you to and it was a good idea. I've left you and Hanna in command while I was away in the past and you've both done well. Gustaf and Ortwin, anything I'd have the two of you do would be with what you already know: the cannon and the wilds. You wouldn't have as many men to worry about, but you'd be doing the things you already do as well or better than anyone else."
    Ingwald shrugged. "I'll do it," he said. Hanna nodded. "Me too," she added.

Gustaf seemed far less comfortable with the idea, but lacked either the stomach or the words to argue with his commander. He just sat there looking uneasy while Ortwin made a hesitant sound.

"If it's just the crew for Filomena..." he said. "I suppose there ain't anyone better. But that ain't saying much, chief."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want alternatives for your two shrinking violets, you do have Karlott, Ludo, and two newly-acquired gunpowder experts.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"There's a man over there who got shot for trying to dig up Fassbender's grave," Sieghard replied. "But they were doing that because Fischwillen put them up to it and I'm not going to hold them responsible for his crimes. If any of them gets caught skulking around like that again though, he won't have to worry about being shot. He'll be hanged."

"If you don't feel like you're up to it, I'm not ordering you to," he said to Gustaf and Ortwin when he noticed their discomfort. "If you'd rather keep doing as you are now, I can find someone else."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo I see as being a step above that, but if he feels like stepping up, that's Leswordfish's call. If he does though, it might be better to have him take a third of the Thorns as a whole to relieve some of the pressure from Ingwald and Hanna. Karlott isn't one of the Thorns and Sieghard isn't about to give that sort of authority to one of two men he just met. Those are good long-term solutions though and for the more specialized roles, a short-term one isn't as necessary as it is for the unit as a whole.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-19 at 08:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Gustaf nodded, relieved. Ortwin still looked uncomfortable. "No, I'll do it," he said, reluctantly. "I'll do it."

"Will all this newfound responsibility mean any newfound pay?" asked Ingwald, a sly smile on his face. Hanna and Ortwin suddenly looked very interested in the answer to his question.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Gustaf, you're free to go then. Get some rest, you'll be with the scouting party come morning," Sieghard said. He waited until Gustaf had gone before continuing. "Ortwin, the only men you need worry yourself with are the cannon crew, but you'll also need to make sure the gun itself is maintained and keep us aware of how much shot and powder we have."

"Will all this newfound responsibility mean any newfound pay?"

"Yes, so long as you do well. Another crown for this month since it's half over already and another two after that." Perhaps more. He would need to speak with Abdul once they rejoined the main force. "Any other questions?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-19 at 09:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Ingwald chuckled. "No, I think that answers mine just fine."

Hanna matched his grin. "Thank you, commander. We won't let you down." She paused. "So... do we get to pick which groups are ours, or..."
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-03-19 at 09:19 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ludo will assign your men to you in the morning," Sieghard answered. "And which men are under your command may change as time passes and needs change. Which men shouldn't matter - Whoever you are in charge of, your responsibilities will be the same."

"Split the men between them as evenly as you can and don't give them anyone they're too close to if it can be avoided," he told Ludo after their questions had been answered and they had been dismissed. "Fetch Nat and Norten next."

"I want the two of you to choose a few men from your companies who can be trusted with authority over a small group of men," Sieghard said once they had arrived. "Men who take orders well, show good discipline, and have the respect of the others under your command. Nat, choose two men. Viktor trusts your judgement; I believe he would approve of whoever you choose, but if he feels otherwise he may replace them as he sees fit them once he's recovered. Norten, you've got more men in fighting shape at the moment; Choose three."

He explained the responsibilities those men would be given just as he had explained it to those he had chosen for the Thorns. "The men you choose will see to the needs of whatever men you assign them. Should their men have need of anything, they will come to you and if it isn't something you are able to deal with yourself, you can come to either Ludo or me personally. Choose whichever men you want, but any man who fails to perform his duties will be replaced with one who can."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-19 at 10:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Nat and Norten both took a little longer to answer Sieghard's summons than the Thorns had. Nat listened to what Sieghard had to say with caution; Norten with suspicion.

"So they answer to us, and we answer to you," said Nat. "That's about the shape of it?"

"Shouldn't be hard," said Norten, puffing out his chest a little. "Oswald, Meiner, Heinfried. All solid men with some experience under their belt. Not like some of the whelps I seen running round this place." He scratched the stubble on his chin. "What about the new lot? Groz's men. My lads could put them to work."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If they're as good as you say, they should do fine," Sieghard said.

"What about the new lot? Groz's men. My lads could put them to work."

"There's a pair of gunners I'll be taking for the Thorns," he continued, "If they can shoot a gun, they can shoot a crossbow. The rest I have a mind to split between the two of you."

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

"They're tough soldiers, and they've been through a lot." Ludo said. "It's up to you what roles you give them, but bear in mind that they're veterans and bawling them out like Fischwillen did won't get you very far.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Norten made a face - he clearly didn't appreciate being given advice by a halfling.

"They don't want to stick together?" asked Nat. "I would, if I'd been through what they had."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ludo gives you good advice," Sieghard told Norten. "I'd be surprised if there were ten men in the camp with as much experience as any of them. It'll take more than loudly barking orders to gain their respect."

He considered Nat's words for a moment before speaking again. "It may be harder to keep them in line together." He turned to Norten. "Their old unit was also halberdiers. If you're confident you can handle the lot of them, they'd fit better with your men than anywhere else."

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Norten snorted. "If I'm confident? 'Course I'm confident." Ludo detected a false note amidst the bravado. "If Alvarr's lot could handle 'em then my boys will have no trouble."

Nat looked indifferent. Sieghard suspected he probably didn't want the trouble of new recruits.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, just so long as you don't do that to them," Ludo said, trying to make a joke.

"Might be good to split up a bit and mix up the groups a little." Ludo said to Sieghard later. "We're not likely to run into much. If you, Norten and Nat each take a group with some of each of the militia in each, that should mean every group can handle itself, and hopefully will get used to working together."

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'll have them split off to cover more ground, but there's no point in taking any of their men or giving them men who they aren't used to leading," Sieghard replied. "It'd just make the job more difficult than it needs to be."

"We're going to split here so we can hit as much farmland as we can as quick as we can," Sieghard told Nat and Norten the next morning as they were breaking camp. He outlined the rough path he wanted the entire force to take. "Norten, since you've got the most men, you'll follow the route most directly. Nat, range a bit further north and I'll hang south closest to Savonne. The faster we move, the less likely it is we'll have trouble from the Duke. If his men are spotted, you're to send runners to the other companies, try to avoid a confrontation if at all possible, and regroup on the halberdiers' position. We'll rejoin eachother in the evening to make camp."

"The farmers may flee when they see us approaching," he continued. "If they do, all the better. Even if not, I don't want them harmed. We're after the crops, not the people. Order them away, threaten them, do what it takes, but only use force if nothing else works. Take what there is to take and burn the rest. It will be food stores and livestock mostly, they aren't likely to have many valuables."

Spoiler
    Show
    Command roll
    (1d100)[20] vs 49
    (1d100)[67] reroll

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo opened his mouth to object that there was no reason to take valuables - it wasn't like anyone would be able to trade them for food - but paused, and closed it again.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Konigstag, 20th Pflugzeit

Nat and Norten listened attentively enough to Sieghard's instructions.

"Take what there is to take and burn the rest. It will be food stores and livestock mostly, they aren't likely to have many valuables."
    "I don't know," said Nat. "You'd be surprised what some folk have squirreled away for a rainy day."

"Once a taxman, always a taxman, eh Zollner?" sniped Norten. He looked back to Sieghard. "We'll take care of our end, don't you worry. Where do we meet up to camp?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They have no questions beyond these ones, if you have instructions for Karlott or anyone else feel free to move on to those.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa waited impatiently for Sieghard to get on with deciding who went where. Only once the soldiers had actually drifted away she'd approach.

"There is only one of me so you better decide which direction you want me to go first chief."

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Do a search if you like, just make it a quick one," Sieghard said. "It's more important that we keep moving than it is we find everything they try to hide."

"We'll take care of our end, don't you worry. Where do we meet up to camp?"

"Depends on how much ground we're able to cover. It will be a couple of miles between us at any time at the most. Start looking for a good place near sunset and we'll find you then." To Nat he continued "I've got a pair of horses taken from the men who kidnapped Father Barbaro. You can use one to find Norten's camp quicker or in case you need to send a message."

"Just try to stay ahead of the halberdiers," Sieghard told Narcisa. "They've got the most men and are likely to hit more of the farms than mine or Nat's." Though he didn't say it out loud, he also had concerns about any lingering influence Fischwillen may have had on the men he trained.

After Narcisa had gone, he approached Karlott. "Tannhöfer, I want you to watch for any signs of Alvarr sending men after us. I want no surprises from Savonne while we march. How many men and what supplies do you need?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-23 at 02:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa only half listened to Sieghard's plans as she gave Morrslieb her own instructions. The raven was to follow the Azril upstream to Putbad and report on the state of the city and whether any men in furs were in the streets. Afterwards, unless most of Rorik's troops were still in Putbad, the bird was to head north to Bunthafen to see if the Norscans had taken control of Groz's former capital.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the looting part, Elsa will mostly be around for intimidation. I'm assuming even the peasants of the Downlands may have heard that Sforza has a wizard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

How many men and what supplies do you need?"
    “Half a dozen should do,” said Karlott, already saddling Esprit. “I’ll take Gustaf, unless you need him. Can always use another tracker.”

Narcisa

Heading out while the soldiers were still forming up, Narcisa struck up a quick pace in the direction Sieghard had indicated the halberdiers would go. Spring was in full bloom, and all around her the country was green and flowering. Bees buzzed around her head, tall weeds whipped at her waist, and already she found herself missing the city.

There was no traffic on the Alvarran road where she crossed it – in the years between the wars you would have been hard-pressed to find a section of this road without a wagon going one way or the other. Following it a little way, she took the first path that branched off it, a dirt track that looked reasonably well-trodden. The lack of rain meant the ground was dry and firm, and she quickly found herself making better time.

Passing through fields that showed signs of recent ploughing, she found a cluster of four or five houses a few miles down the track. The central farmhouse was solidly built, two storeys tall with narrow windows and a big, sturdy door. The houses around it were smaller and plainer, long, low constructions with thatched roofs and walls of wattle and daub. A couple of wooden barns stood off beyond a brake of stubby trees, with fenced-off paddocks for livestock. A big draft horse watched her go past with dark, incurious eyes, its long head turning slowly to follow her.

Running a hand through her hair to make it look a little more dishevelled, Narcisa broke into a jog, aiming to seem a little out of breath when she arrived outside the farmhouse door. A group of men were loading a handcart with shovels and hoes when she appeared in their midst, gasping her warnings. From the look on their faces, she could see they found her fairly convincing.

Soon the whole of their tiny community had gathered round to hear what was happening. Narcisa counted about twenty of them all told – they were split between the labourers and their wives and the family who owned the farmhouse. The farm-owner himself was a stout, solidly-built man in late middle age, with wiry grey whiskers and fierce eyes beneath beetling brows. He had an equally solid-looking wife, two daughters a little younger than Narcisa herself, and a son barely out of the cradle. One of the girls was holding onto a big grey dog that growled persistently at the newcomer in their midst.

“We’ve got to go, Stojan,” said one of the younger men. “Who knows how long before they get here?”

If they get here,” said Stojan, eyeing Narcisa with suspicion. “Fifteen years I’ve been building this place up. I ain’t of a mind to abandon it on the word of some slip of a girl.”

“But the soldiers...” began one of the labourers’ wives.

“You think I ain’t dealt with soldiers before?” The farmer made a dissatisfied noise in the back of his throat. “Soldiers is men, same as anyone else. If they come this way, I’ll handle ‘em. You just let me do the talking.”

“Our thanks for the warning,” he said curtly to Narcisa, before turning to his wife. “Marja, take the children back into the house,” he said to his wife. “And hide the valuables. That goes for all of you. Women and children, inside.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up to you if you want to dally to persuade these people or keep moving. Persuading them to leave will require a social skill roll – your choice of what kind depending what approach you take.

Sieghard, Ludo & Elsa

Swinging out on the eastern wing of the militia force, the Thorns forged a path through weedy meadows and fallow farmland. Sheep scattered from Elsa’s path as she tried to keep Bastard in control, the big stallion taking the open spaces as an invitation to gallop and fighting back against her attempts to rein him in.

The first farmstead they hit had already been abandoned, the inhabitants evidently having seen them coming. The house showed signs of having been hastily evacuated: the larder had been ransacked and the larger livestock were missing, leaving only a gaggle of geese that waddled around the newcomers hissing and flaring their wings. Feathers flew as the Thorns set to rounding them up, chasing them down and seizing them up to briskly wring their necks. They laughed and joked as they did – they’d be eating well tonight.

They emptied what stores the farmers had left behind, and traipsed and trampled over the surrounding fields looking for anything more that could be taken. Most of the crops were just seedlings, but they found a field of turnips grown enough for picking. Ripping the hairy roots out of the ground, Ortwin turned one of them over in his hands.

“Never thought I’d end up picking vegetables when I signed up to fight for the Captain,” he said to Ludo, tossing the turnip to him. “Beats getting shot at, though!”

That still left the last part of their instructions to carry out. On Sieghard’s orders, two of the Thorns torched the thatched roof, standing by and watching until the whole house took fire. The company stood by and watched in silence as the black column of smoke twisted up into the sky, the fierce heat of the fire reddening their faces. Elsa’s face took on the faraway look she often had when she was seeing things that others could not.

It was after midday when they left the smouldering ruins behind, pressing on to find another target. They didn’t have to travel far – and this time it didn’t look like the people had fled.

“Open up!” shouted Ingwald, banging on the door. “Captain Sforza’s come for your chickens!”

The door swung open, and Ingwald yelled in alarm as someone lunged at him from inside. It was a boy of about fifteen, swinging a rusty sword that looked like it hadn’t been used in years. Before he could connect, two more figures appeared and grabbed him, wrestling him back with the blade still raised high – his parents.

“He’s sorry!” yelled his mother, panic fraying her voice as her son still struggled in her grip. “He didn’t mean it!”

Elsa Only

Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb had been making slow and stately progress upriver, coasting in luxurious loops on the thermals that were rising from the open countryside under the sun. He reported no boats sailing south on the river. Alvarr’s little flotilla had probably emptied the pool of Putbad for the present time.

Soaring high over the Karst, he passed over the Silver Falls and circled down to inspect Putbad itself. The observations he relayed back to Elsa were curious. He said he could see a handful of “furry men” walking the streets, but that the town itself was quiet. Though he passed from street to street, perching on rooftops and gutters, he seemed to find no-one that matched the description of the Jarl, nor any buildings that seemed like they might be holding him.

Maybe he’s the dead man? he asked Elsa – she could feel an edge of excitement to the question. There’s a dead man hanging from the big stone. Over the falls. There was a pause. Tastes like he’s been dead for a while. All opened up. Excitement turned to disappointment. Other birds took the best parts already.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo was the closest officer to Ingwald, and he hurried forward as the parents dragged their son back.

"Drop the sword, lad," he said, keeping a nervous quaver out of his voice. "You don't want to do anything silly today, and I'm sure we can forget what's already happened."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test: (1d100)[88] vs 67

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard ignored the boy's mother for a moment. "Striking a soldier's a serious crime," he said. "You're lucky your parents stopped you. Drop the sword and you can keep your hand."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[36] vs 51 Intimidate
    (1d100)[51] Reroll

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Titan in the Playground

Goose Thieves

Where Ludo's kind words didn't work, Sieghard's glower did. Looking up at the grim-faced man in front of him, the boy let the weapon clatter to the ground.

Now that he'd stopped struggling, his father wrestled him round and propelled him back indoors. The mother looked to the armed men on her doorstep.

"We don't want trouble," she said. "We can give you salt meat and bread, but we've got nothing worth taking."

Sieghard looked around. He could see pigs in a sty, and a field of barley beginning to sprout. Captain Sforza would not have agreed with her assessment.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa felt terrible about taking from peasants, but her task was to look grim and fearsome, and so she did.

If you'd chosen another lord, she told herself, you'd still be receiving orders you don't like. This is how the game is played in these parts.

Still, she could not help but admire the young boy's bravery, and was relieved the matter was resolved without violence. She hoped he had a bright future ahead of him... if he did not get himself killed beforehand.

Elsa only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb's report was interesting, though his description of the dead man was less than helpful.

What kind of... plumage... does he wear? Is his meat all stringy muscle, or all soft fat?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa bit her tongue on an automatic retort. In this farmer's shoes (Ranald forbid!) she'd have been stubborn about everything to the pleasures of mercenary scum.

"You have to go. Look, I'm from Savonne. The Tilean thug stole our food, emptied our warehouses. All part of his sword measuring contest with the Bretonnian and the Norscan. People like them don't care about people like us, and neither do the scum filling their ranks. They come here the absolute best you can look for is a broken jaw - and still see them steal everything and burn the rest. Believe me I've seen looters and they are not pretty..." She took a deep breath, then glanced meaningfully at the two young women before flicking her green eyes back to Stojan. "...But your daughters are."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm (43) doesn't quite seem appropriate but I'm not sure if this Intimidation (41). Either way Narcisa isn't exactly lying - she doesn't trust the soldiers.

(1d100)[61] vs. 43 or 41
    FP re-roll if needed: (1d100)[38]

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You have fields that come harvest will feed Alvarr and the murderous savages he's allied with," Sieghard replied. "Cooperate and I'll allow you a few minutes to gather a bit of food for yourselves - Enough for a few days, anyways. The rest will be burned."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-24 at 08:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

New thread. By order of the Captain, all change.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb