New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Today I learned something about the infamous "Junk"

So does anybody remember the Boat called the "Junk" in This comic?

I recently learned from looking at wikipedia through a few pages pertaining to Oriental Adventures book that it's an actual boat

I can't believe I caught on sooner. I thought Lord Shojo just called it a Junk, for comedy sake!

Does anybody else know this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Today I learned something about the infamous "Junk"

Yeah, sorry. I knew about the type of boat called a Junk well before I knew the other meaning. That second meaning seems relatively recent to me (I'm 48).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I knew a junk was a type of ship, I just didn't know what type. Similar to how I couldn't recognise a flying jib.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This is the opposite of my experience. I read the comic well before I knew that "junk" was a term for, um, a wiener.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you look in the table of contents (or the print edition), the title of 418 actually is "It's a Type of Boat".
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Junk can also mean trash.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Junk can also mean trash.
    I believe you mean treasure.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Depends on if you're selling or buying.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This was old news to me, but I've read a decent amount of Chinese literature and made a point of trying to learn Chinese history (as part of trying to patch the gigantic geographical holes in the sad joke that is a "World History" class in the U.S.), and English is my native language - so while I'd guess that it's a pretty obvious pun that most people reading it would get that's from the perspective of someone with enough expertise to make my memory of the default knowledge level fuzzy.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm with tomandtish--I knew that a junk was a type of ship. In fact, I didn't even know about the "penis" meaning when I read that strip, so the entire joke went over my head--somebody had to explain it to me in the comments thread.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

When I read that strip I didn't know that "junk" was the word for a kind of ship. I also was uncertain of if it could be used to refer to genitalia; I just assumed that was the case from the context. English isn't my native language, so that might be to be expected.

Speaking of language barriers, when reading this strip I didn't know what bumping uglies meant. From context I assumed Miko has interpreted the situation correctly, and thought the gag was that Haley described something proper in a mocking way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

annoyed Re: Today I learned something about the infamous "Junk"

It's a relic from an earlier age of D&D players that were interested in history. Specifically, historical equipment like swords, fortifications, navies, phalanxes, and that sort of thing. I can remember designing my character's castle with barbicans, portcullises, murder holes, and so on. Kind of like 2D Minecraft with graph paper. Today, history is a gigantic bore and playing D&D is more like interactive improv theater. It's due to the popularity of gaming in the mainstream population, back then it was a small set of nerdy boys.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Yeah, sorry. I knew about the type of boat called a Junk well before I knew the other meaning. That second meaning seems relatively recent to me (I'm 48).

Same here, every word.

I also got to sail on a "Junk" (stop that!) as a youth (quit it already!) that was owned by friends of my parents.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Pirates are commonly associated with treasure, so in a sense all uses of the word involve seamen.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    It's a relic from an earlier age of D&D players that were interested in history.
    Yeah, hence the proliferation of pole arms by E.G.G. in various articles, even though later weapons scholars still scratch their heads at his nomenclature.
    Specifically, historical equipment like swords, fortifications, navies, phalanxes, and that sort of thing. I can remember designing my character's castle with barbicans, portcullises, murder holes, and so on.
    D&D got me interested in studying medieval history. When I ended up in Europe while in the Navy, it informed my choices of where I'd visit on my liberty time.
    Today, history is a gigantic bore and playing D&D is more like interactive improv theater. It's due to the popularity of gaming in the mainstream population, back then it was a small set of nerdy boys.
    It was created by a set of nerdy men. The war gamers of the 60's and early 1970's were men, by and large, a few women, and a growing number of teenaged boys. Avalon Hill sold a lot of games to both men and boys. There was also the all-time favorite Diplomacy, Risk, Stragego, a bunch of stuff from SPI (Sniper, Legion, Viking ...), and numerous others.

Tim Kask used to refer to some of the historically obsessed miniatures as "twitchers." I'll find a link to his description if I can, but it usually manifested itself as a behavior at conventions or at game tables where two players would get into intense arguments over values and details of a particular era's weapons and armor ... to the point where they'd start to twitch.

Quite frankly, it was a good era for war gaming and D&D. But there were definitely a strong core of nerds.

PS: history is not a gigantic bore.

I knew about Chinese junks as a kid. We learned about the opium wars in Junior High.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-06-06 at 09:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's also a type of food.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

I took a while to get the other junk reference as I'm British and we've other innuendos. But having a junk named 'My Junk' is entirely Shojo's style.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I knew both meanings when I read it, so I guess I'm in the sweet spot of the younger generation that knows the slang but is also interested in history.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Still no mention of the strips title? But yeah I knew both relevant meanings. Think I read something as a kid with different types of boats in it (not sure what may have been in the collection of encyclopedias that my Grandma had/has) and I think it came up a few times afterword. The slang is just that, picked it up at some point.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Still no mention of the strips title?
    Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    If you look in the table of contents (or the print edition), the title of 418 actually is "It's a Type of Boat".
    Ti'esar beat you by about 16 hours.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Here:Ti'esar beat you by about 16 hours.
    Thus the question, if I could actually trust my eyes (or wear my glasses more) to search the whole thread perfectly I would of phrased it stronger.

22. - Top - End - #22

And again my age shows, because I've known what a junk was since I saw Swiss Family Robinson (in the theater, mind you).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I find it difficult to imagine the level of ignorance necessary to not know that a junk is a type of ship. It's almost on the level of not knowing that there was a World War II.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I find it difficult to imagine the level of ignorance necessary to not know that a junk is a type of ship. It's almost on the level of not knowing that there was a World War II.
    I, too, equate one of the most significant and well-known events of the 20th century to a type of Chinese ship.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-06-06 at 03:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I, too, equate one of the most significant and well-known events of the 20th century to a type of Chinese ship.
    Another darned sarcasm detector overloaded--you know how expensive these things are?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Another darned sarcasm detector overloaded--you know how expensive these things are?
    Send me the invoice, I'll take care of it.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Same here. Of course I knew the name in my own language ("giunca") but being them really close phonetically I had no problem to understand it.
    Fun fact: I knew the other two meanings as well.
    Instead I discovered THAT meaning from this comic, after I remained perplexed for a little while... then, thinking about the shape of the ship... well, let's say that it helped in guessing.

28. - Top - End - #28

I read over the strip in question pretty quickly, ten years ago. I remember sitting there with a on my face, then klicking the next strip. In my language, the famous oriental boat is a 'Dschunke' (read jun-ke), so I missed the double entendres even with Belkar lampshading it.

It's only when I got involved with the translation stuff, years later, that I had to actively search for a joke there.
    Edit: In my translation, I added a name to the ship. Re-translated it's now called "best piece", a term used in trash romance novels for... you know, junks.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2017-06-06 at 11:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

eek Re: Today I learned something about the infamous "Junk"

A lot of these posters are pointing out something I hadn't considered before: how embarrassingly "America First" OOTS is. We really need to appeal to a more global audience and cut down the references that only native speakers of English will get. Sales will be higher too, who knows how many sales have been lost due to people not getting the references at all.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on if you're One Man or Another Man.

It's a relic from an earlier age of D&D players that were interested in history. Specifically, historical equipment like swords, fortifications, navies, phalanxes, and that sort of thing. I can remember designing my character's castle with barbicans, portcullises, murder holes, and so on. Kind of like 2D Minecraft with graph paper. Today, history is a gigantic bore and playing D&D is more like interactive improv theater. It's due to the popularity of gaming in the mainstream population, back then it was a small set of nerdy boys.
    Yeah and we had to do our ThAC0 in the snow! Up a hill! Both ways!!!

A lot of these posters are pointing out something I hadn't considered before: how embarrassingly "America First" OOTS is. We really need to appeal to a more global audience and cut down the references that only native speakers of English will get. Sales will be higher too, who knows how many sales have been lost due to people not getting the references at all.
    Rich is from the United States. The majority of the reading population is from the United States. Dungeons and Dragons is primarily played in the United States. You'd confuse significantly more people trying to get broader appeal than keeping it the way it is. The internet is a thing and people can Google if they're confused.