New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Designing Star-Fantasy Races

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
    I want to apologize, Honest_Tiefling. I was pressed for time when I was writing that last post and it came out blunter than I intended. I do value your input and your continued assistance with this project and want to apologize for any offense I inflicted upon you.
    Nah. I wasn't offended! I know that sometimes it's hard to convey tone through text, nor did I think you were trying to be hostile. I appreciate that you are listening to my ideas and concern, and hope this gets off the ground! If you can, I do still suggest a play by post game if there is no one in your area. I'd like to see this game in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Nah. I wasn't offended! I know that sometimes it's hard to convey tone through text, nor did I think you were trying to be hostile. I appreciate that you are listening to my ideas and concern, and hope this gets off the ground! If you can, I do still suggest a play by post game if there is no one in your area. I'd like to see this game in action.
    Thanks for understanding, HT. And whilst I appreciate the vote of confidence, I've always presumed I have the DMing skills of a drunken weasel, so I don't think I'd have he courage to run a game even if I could do a play by post game.

Now, on to the topic of celestial locales... Apologies for the cheesy names in advance, I'm really not good at this.

Points of Light:
    Glimmergleam: Placed within the depths of the Spidersilk Nebula, Glimmergleam is a moonlet transformed into an enormous market-city. This is a gathering place for mercenaries, pirates, and adventurers of all stripes. Its economy depends upon its grey market; you get almost anything here, from almost anywhere in known space, if you're bold, smart and lucky. It leads towards the shady side of the law, but there are good people living here as merchants, shipwrights, artisans; anything a spacefarer could need in order to set themselves up for another trip into the big black.

The Mountain of Flowers and Fruit: One of the jewels of the Aurian Empire, this "pleasure world" is a serene and gentle paradise of subtropical and temperate hills, forests and plains. Reserved for the great nobles of the Celestial Court, it is stocked by legions of serfs who have been bred on this world for generations to keep everything quiet and relaxing. Although access is unlikely at best, the nobles have been known to invite star-raiders here for amusements and entertainments, or as a reward for favors done.

The Tree of Life: A marvel of Paxian biomancy, the Tree of Life is a single weeping willow-like tree of planetary scale. So big it has its own atmosphere, it is home to one of the largest populations of Paxians in the known universe, and other races besides. All are welcome here, if they will abide by the codes of peace and diplomacy that natives are expected to adhere to. And which the Tree itself can enforce, stirring rumors that it may be some truly ancient Paxian elder.

Castle Radiance: A shining, jewel-like star-fortress, one of many held and maintained by the crusading star-knights of the Quetzalii. This is one of their newer fortifications, and thus always in need of strong souls willing to fight for justice and right.

Points of Dark:
    Toxus II: A world that succumbed to a devastating war in ages long past, leaving behind nothing but ruins and toxic, barren landscapes. Many valuable artefacts have been plundered from this dead world, but who knows what bounties remain unclaimed?

Moldholm: Once one of the most renowned centers of healing in known space, a place where miraculous cures were produced by some of the galaxy's best and brightest, that all came to a crashing end when it was overrun by the dreaded Russet Mold, an aelfar weapon gone horribly wrong. Loot of great value, from one-of-a-kind healing elixirs to the jewelry of all those lost in the infestation, could be had by a brave soul, but one must face off against the millions of bloodthirsty Moldies that now prowl its decaying halls.

The Crumbling Citadel: Once the stronghold of a mighty pirate king who plundered a thousand times a thousand worlds, when he fell in battle against a force of his mightiest rivals, the star itself imploded, twisting into a black hole. Now the citadel floats on the edge of the black hole, slowly disintegrating into its embrce. But the treasure, it is said, still remains in its crumbling depths, waiting for the bold to rescue it...

Flammenkrypt: This world should not exist. With seas of magma and islands of basalt and obsidian, it certainly shouldn't be inhabited by the deranged, desperate pyromancers and outcasts who dwell there. But something draws them there. Something, it is rumored, that has been sealed away in the planet's core for a very, very long time...

The Blood Star: A solar system that has become the object of attention for three Aelfar dynasties. In pursuit of their typical amusements and vendettas, they have seeded three worlds with life, covertly manipulating the dominant species of each world into traveling between the stars and launching an all-out war on its neighbors. Locked in this cycle of vengeance and blood, they have no idea that they are puppets for beings from beyond.

Sub-Settings:
    Malebolge: A once-glorious world of advanced magical civilizations, now thrown into ruins by magical catastrophe. Somewhere between "D&D does RIFTS" and "Eberron Fallout". Whilst the modern populace is in no position to reach for the stars, there re ancient star-vessels still amongst the ruins, and star-raiders sometimes risk a trip to the surface to plunder - not all of whom live to regret it.

"Warworld": Setting of my Chainmail-inspired setting. This actually needs to be fleshed out a LOT before I can describe it at all - I haven't even figured out why everybody's fighting, ala Chainmail's business with the God of War's panopoly.

Helhrime: Turbulent and harsh, this is a cool, dark world of icy winters and frequent storms, a planet of rugged beauty and merciless beauty. Beyond this vision of a Sword & Sandals, Viking Style setting, I haven't had any really solid ideas for this world yet.

Kana: A young world where Paxians are slowly coaxing intelligent life to form. Stone Age and Bronze Age adventuring, in a world where everything is new and heroes of today can become the gods of tomorrow.

Horae: In a world where races of beastmen take on familiar roles of humans, kingdoms clash and factions war in the great game of thrones, where power is gained and held at the edge of a sword. But what the naive denizens have blinded themselves to is the true nature of their world. Horae is a world where magic waxes and wanes in the Great Years, centuries-long seasons during which powers arcane, primal and divine ebb and flow. Eons ago, the scalykind ruled with sorcerous powers and mighty magocracies. But when the world fell into Autumn, their works crumbled and they retreated into the shadows, leaving the world for the mammals to claim during the long Winter. But Winter does not last forever. Spring is coming. Magic returns to Horae. Nagas slither from their holes, tongues tasting magic on the wind. Lizardfolk stir in the swamps, witch-priests dreaming feverish dreams of fire and blood. In kobold dens across the world, the once-ignored people are shedding off their old skins as they drink in the power that was theirs once and shall be theirs again; the power and the majesty of the dragon. And far out to sea, a nation hidden outside of space and time with the coming of Autumn returns. Scaly titans will soon bestride the earth again. And whether the mammals will retain their power or return to service may depend on who can win the greatest of the thrones...

To sum up that last one, tldr style: Low Fantasy Beastman setting ala Game of Thrones is turning into High Fantasy as ancient scalykind races, including a long-lost empire of dinosaur-people, return to retake the world that was theirs.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for understanding, HT. And whilst I appreciate the vote of confidence, I've always presumed I have the DMing skills of a drunken weasel, so I don't think I'd have he courage to run a game even if I could do a play by post game.
    Everyone starts off DMing at the level of a drunken weasel or more likely, worse. The only way to get better is to try. If you make it clear this is your first time, people will go easy on you.

Now, on to the topic of celestial locales... Apologies for the cheesy names in advance, I'm really not good at this.
    I sorta think the cheesy names are a given, really, considering the pulpy feeling of it.

Glimmergleam: Placed within the depths of the Spidersilk Nebula, Glimmergleam is a moonlet transformed into an enormous market-city. This is a gathering place for mercenaries, pirates, and adventurers of all stripes. Its economy depends upon its grey market; you get almost anything here, from almost anywhere in known space, if you're bold, smart and lucky. It leads towards the shady side of the law, but there are good people living here as merchants, shipwrights, artisans; anything a spacefarer could need in order to set themselves up for another trip into the big black.
    1) Is the Spider Silk nebula literal, or figurative? I sorta imagine giant space spiders would put a damper on things for most people. Maybe a race lacks an instinctual fear of bugs because they evolved from an insectivore?
    2) Why are the honest merchants here? I'm not saying that it is impossible for them to be there, but I feel like there needs to be a reason, be it a good location, favorable laws, or that's where customers just go.

The Mountain of Flowers and Fruit: One of the jewels of the Aurian Empire, this "pleasure world" is a serene and gentle paradise of subtropical and temperate hills, forests and plains. Reserved for the great nobles of the Celestial Court, it is stocked by legions of serfs who have been bred on this world for generations to keep everything quiet and relaxing. Although access is unlikely at best, the nobles have been known to invite star-raiders here for amusements and entertainments, or as a reward for favors done.
    I feel like the idea of a mere pleasure planet is beneath the God-Emperors. It's not a pleasure planet, it's a carefully maintained idyllic farming world growing the best food and supporting several blossoming communes of artists and writers. Not sure what to call it, but Pleasure Planet makes me think of Risa.

The Tree of Life: A marvel of Paxian biomancy, the Tree of Life is a single weeping willow-like tree of planetary scale. So big it has its own atmosphere, it is home to one of the largest populations of Paxians in the known universe, and other races besides. All are welcome here, if they will abide by the codes of peace and diplomacy that natives are expected to adhere to. And which the Tree itself can enforce, stirring rumors that it may be some truly ancient Paxian elder.
    What shape is the tree in? I think you could go a lot of different ways with that and explain how people are standing on the trunk.

Castle Radiance: A shining, jewel-like star-fortress, one of many held and maintained by the crusading star-knights of the Quetzalii. This is one of their newer fortifications, and thus always in need of strong souls willing to fight for justice and right.
    Needs more. Perhaps it too is a farming colony? See, retired Quetzalii come here. Few retire, but those who do are encouraged to take up a life of quiet, humble work. Also, prisoners are brought here for redemption to keep them away from temptation and escape. Give them some good ol' work on a nice farm! That's the ticket.

Toxus II: A world that succumbed to a devastating war in ages long past, leaving behind nothing but ruins and toxic, barren landscapes. Many valuable artefacts have been plundered from this dead world, but who knows what bounties remain unclaimed?
    Why are the artifacts there? I think some basis for them to have a lot of neat stuff helps sell the idea of treasure hunting here, also because the party will meet someone in the bar with a yarn to spin about some fabulous macguffin or another.

Moldholm: Once one of the most renowned centers of healing in known space, a place where miraculous cures were produced by some of the galaxy's best and brightest, that all came to a crashing end when it was overrun by the dreaded Russet Mold, an aelfar weapon gone horribly wrong. Loot of great value, from one-of-a-kind healing elixirs to the jewelry of all those lost in the infestation, could be had by a brave soul, but one must face off against the millions of bloodthirsty Moldies that now prowl its decaying halls.
    Other then information about the event (who is the blame, who is blamed, what happened in the aftermath, why was the weapon used, etc). I see nothing wrong with this place, other then a little more description. Who made it? What did it look like?

I for one, would like it if this mystical place of healing looked like crap. Oh, it's comfortable enough but it was designed by a well-meaning but inept architect. Maybe some architectural feature they put in allowed the Moldies to spread, such as improper insulation.

The Crumbling Citadel: Once the stronghold of a mighty pirate king who plundered a thousand times a thousand worlds, when he fell in battle against a force of his mightiest rivals, the star itself imploded, twisting into a black hole. Now the citadel floats on the edge of the black hole, slowly disintegrating into its embrce. But the treasure, it is said, still remains in its crumbling depths, waiting for the bold to rescue it...
    Flammenkrypt: This world should not exist. With seas of magma and islands of basalt and obsidian, it certainly shouldn't be inhabited by the deranged, desperate pyromancers and outcasts who dwell there. But something draws them there. Something, it is rumored, that has been sealed away in the planet's core for a very, very long time...
    Not much to say about these two, as they seem like good plot hooks. The former would be a race against someone else to get an important doodad, and the later is punching some sort of flame-demon. Sounds good to me, if more high-level. I think some lower level threats and worlds are needed.

The Blood Star: A solar system that has become the object of attention for three Aelfar dynasties. In pursuit of their typical amusements and vendettas, they have seeded three worlds with life, covertly manipulating the dominant species of each world into traveling between the stars and launching an all-out war on its neighbors. Locked in this cycle of vengeance and blood, they have no idea that they are puppets for beings from beyond.
    I like this idea. The party could crash land on one and reenact the Ewok scene...

Malebolge: A once-glorious world of advanced magical civilizations, now thrown into ruins by magical catastrophe. Somewhere between "D&D does RIFTS" and "Eberron Fallout". Whilst the modern populace is in no position to reach for the stars, there re ancient star-vessels still amongst the ruins, and star-raiders sometimes risk a trip to the surface to plunder - not all of whom live to regret it.
    Skipping this since I assume it is the same Malebolge.

"Warworld": Setting of my Chainmail-inspired setting. This actually needs to be fleshed out a LOT before I can describe it at all - I haven't even figured out why everybody's fighting, ala Chainmail's business with the God of War's panopoly.
    Flammenkyrpt (Brandtibur?) has a magical demon/eldritch horror/old god encouraging pyromancers to vacation there. This world has something similar except that it increases empathy with one's 'tribe' and decreases it for outsiders...I'd find it hilarious if this fact basically kept the place in the stone age because people kept building armies to attack other people, but maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek.

This however, reminds of the Red Dwarf episode Meltdown, where andriods of famous people of history fight each other for the amusement of an assumed audience. Maybe this world gets bombed every so often back to the stone age so visitors can wander around the place in bodies from the world (just psychically hijack whatever you want!) to enact their military stories without that pesky issue of dying.

Helhrime: Turbulent and harsh, this is a cool, dark world of icy winters and frequent storms, a planet of rugged beauty and merciless beauty. Beyond this vision of a Sword & Sandals, Viking Style setting, I haven't had any really solid ideas for this world yet.
    Could also be the tourist destintation for people wanting to body-jack things to play out stories and the like. Another idea is that someone from an advanced race has been farming either the people or a resource from the planet. They decided to show up every so often as a god to get what they want, have some parties, sleep with some wenches and depart. Could be Aelfar to explain a lot of Loki's behavior...

Also, we got three barbaric planets roughly corres

Kana: A young world where Paxians are slowly coaxing intelligent life to form. Stone Age and Bronze Age adventuring, in a world where everything is new and heroes of today can become the gods of tomorrow.
    A silly twist: The life frorm that might lead to intelligent life find the Paxians inherently tasty. The Paxians are still committed to coaxing this race despite a few incidents, because they don't want to condemn an entire race for the actions of a few.

Horae: In a world where races of beastmen take on familiar roles of humans, kingdoms clash and factions war in the great game of thrones, where power is gained and held at the edge of a sword. But what the naive denizens have blinded themselves to is the true nature of their world. Horae is a world where magic waxes and wanes in the Great Years, centuries-long seasons during which powers arcane, primal and divine ebb and flow. Eons ago, the scalykind ruled with sorcerous powers and mighty magocracies. But when the world fell into Autumn, their works crumbled and they retreated into the shadows, leaving the world for the mammals to claim during the long Winter. But Winter does not last forever. Spring is coming. Magic returns to Horae. Nagas slither from their holes, tongues tasting magic on the wind. Lizardfolk stir in the swamps, witch-priests dreaming feverish dreams of fire and blood. In kobold dens across the world, the once-ignored people are shedding off their old skins as they drink in the power that was theirs once and shall be theirs again; the power and the majesty of the dragon. And far out to sea, a nation hidden outside of space and time with the coming of Autumn returns. Scaly titans will soon bestride the earth again. And whether the mammals will retain their power or return to service may depend on who can win the greatest of the thrones...

To sum up that last one, tldr style: Low Fantasy Beastman setting ala Game of Thrones is turning into High Fantasy as ancient scalykind races, including a long-lost empire of dinosaur-people, return to retake the world that was theirs.
    You know, you have two medieval planets, a bronze-age/stone age planet, and a renaissance planet. What if one of them was more technologically advance? As a bit of tongue-in-cheek, one of them has technology comparable to the 1980's or the 1940s'.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #274

I was hoping Max_Killjoy would comment too, but I'll answer comments as I get them.

1) Is the Spider Silk nebula literal, or figurative? I sorta imagine giant space spiders would put a damper on things for most people. Maybe a race lacks an instinctual fear of bugs because they evolved from an insectivore?
    2) Why are the honest merchants here? I'm not saying that it is impossible for them to be there, but I feel like there needs to be a reason, be it a good location, favorable laws, or that's where customers just go.
    Figurative. I mean, I could say that there are analogues to the phase spider that prey on star-beasts and even small ships, but mostly it was due to the particular celestial phenomena giving a certain image.

Because this is a very profitable location. Minimalistic laws and regulations allow for greater diversity in merchant's portfolio, and if you carry the staples, it's a very competitive market. So-called pirate towns that sprang up to cater for ship repairs, supplies, weapons, brothels, alchohol, etc were a thing in the real world for a reason.

I feel like the idea of a mere pleasure planet is beneath the God-Emperors. It's not a pleasure planet, it's a carefully maintained idyllic farming world growing the best food and supporting several blossoming communes of artists and writers. Not sure what to call it, but Pleasure Planet makes me think of Risa.
    I... don't the reference. That said, don't forget that there are other nobles under the God-Emperors; resort worlds are literally just noble country estates/retreats on a space-opera scale. Even Warhammer 40,000 has them.

What shape is the tree in? I think you could go a lot of different ways with that and explain how people are standing on the trunk.
    I said that it resembles a weeping willow. That said, mostly I was thinking they live inside and built up on its surfaces.

Needs more. Perhaps it too is a farming colony? See, retired Quetzalii come here. Few retire, but those who do are encouraged to take up a life of quiet, humble work. Also, prisoners are brought here for redemption to keep them away from temptation and escape. Give them some good ol' work on a nice farm! That's the ticket.
    Those do make sense here.

Why are the artifacts there? I think some basis for them to have a lot of neat stuff helps sell the idea of treasure hunting here, also because the party will meet someone in the bar with a yarn to spin about some fabulous macguffin or another.
    Because the civilization that killed itself off left all its stuff behind in the bargain. I don't really understand what you're saying here?

Other then information about the event (who is the blame, who is blamed, what happened in the aftermath, why was the weapon used, etc). I see nothing wrong with this place, other then a little more description. Who made it? What did it look like?

I for one, would like it if this mystical place of healing looked like crap. Oh, it's comfortable enough but it was designed by a well-meaning but inept architect. Maybe some architectural feature they put in allowed the Moldies to spread, such as improper insulation.
    This is just a bare-bones idea so I'm afraid I can't really answer those questions at the moment.

Not much to say about these two, as they seem like good plot hooks. The former would be a race against someone else to get an important doodad, and the later is punching some sort of flame-demon. Sounds good to me, if more high-level. I think some lower level threats and worlds are needed.
    Good points.

I like this idea. The party could crash land on one and reenact the Ewok scene...

Skipping this since I assume it is the same Malebolge.
    Yes, it's the same Malebolge as my first setting project over in the worldbuilding forum.

Flammenkyrpt (Brandtibur?) has a magical demon/eldritch horror/old god encouraging pyromancers to vacation there. This world has something similar except that it increases empathy with one's 'tribe' and decreases it for outsiders...I'd find it hilarious if this fact basically kept the place in the stone age because people kept building armies to attack other people, but maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek.

This however, reminds of the Red Dwarf episode Meltdown, where andriods of famous people of history fight each other for the amusement of an assumed audience. Maybe this world gets bombed every so often back to the stone age so visitors can wander around the place in bodies from the world (just psychically hijack whatever you want!) to enact their military stories without that pesky issue of dying.
    I was actually thinking that this world's main "interest" to the powers of the greater multiverse is that the residents are superb fodder for warbands. Opportunistic pirates and slavers occasionally abduct natives as conscripts to pad out their forces or to sell to other would-be warlords and pirate kings - something that has been known to backfire.

Like I said, this really requires me to actually look at that particular setting and start trying to figure out what it's all about and why it's caught up in all its fight.

Could also be the tourist destination for people wanting to body-jack things to play out stories and the like. Another idea is that someone from an advanced race has been farming either the people or a resource from the planet. They decided to show up every so often as a god to get what they want, have some parties, sleep with some wenches and depart. Could be Aelfar to explain a lot of Loki's behavior...

Also, we got three barbaric planets roughly corres
    I wouldn't say "body-jacking" is really a common thing in this setting. But, interactions between this planet and the greater multiverse work - even in its seed concept, I've got a strong Fenrir from 40K vibe. It may actually have some rudimentary spelljamming technology, or at least know enough about spelljamming that it actually plays into their Valhalla-equivalent.

Also, you cut your second paragraph short, so I can't comment on it.

A silly twist: The life frorm that might lead to intelligent life find the Paxians inherently tasty. The Paxians are still committed to coaxing this race despite a few incidents, because they don't want to condemn an entire race for the actions of a few.
    Heh! I appreciate the laugh, but nah. This could be a very valuable site to plunder for outsider races - shaping life into a world isn't simple. All kinds of powers might want to steal Paxian secrets or just turn the project to their own advantage, whilst the Paxians are desperately recruiting others to help them keep the planet safe until its natives are strong enough to fend for themselves.

You know, you have two medieval planets, a bronze-age/stone age planet, and a renaissance planet. What if one of them was more technologically advance? As a bit of tongue-in-cheek, one of them has technology comparable to the 1980's or the 1940s'.
    Firstly: that's actually an excellent idea.

Secondly... I get the 1980s reference, but why the 1940s?

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Because this is a very profitable location. Minimalistic laws and regulations allow for greater diversity in merchant's portfolio, and if you carry the staples, it's a very competitive market. So-called pirate towns that sprang up to cater for ship repairs, supplies, weapons, brothels, alchohol, etc were a thing in the real world for a reason.
    Yes, but there were still reasons. Pirate towns occured in largely lawless areas, or areas where world powers were fighting. They also had profitable and hard to guard shipments going back to Europe. So what trade routes are there?

I... don't the reference. That said, don't forget that there are other nobles under the God-Emperors; resort worlds are literally just noble country estates/retreats on a space-opera scale. Even Warhammer 40,000 has them.
    Not a trekkie, I see, tsk tsk. All seriousness, why is it a resort planet instead of a center of the arts and culture? Or does pleasure imply the intellectual and mental pleasures, not the base ones? Bascially, why a Las Vegas when you can have Paris?

Because the civilization that killed itself off left all its stuff behind in the bargain. I don't really understand what you're saying here?
    Bascially, more of a focus of WHAT was left. It seems like you will have ruined planets galore, which is not a bad thing. But what distinguishes them? Why would you go to one instead of another? What variances are there in terms of treasure hunting?

This is just a bare-bones idea so I'm afraid I can't really answer those questions at the moment.
    Fair enough. I believe that the setting will dictate more planets then the reverse, but since we need so many planets for this to be playable, well, we might as well throw out ideas to think about as we go over the races. Especially the Traggen, who probably don't have a high esteem for trespassing laws.

I was actually thinking that this world's main "interest" to the powers of the greater multiverse is that the residents are superb fodder for warbands. Opportunistic pirates and slavers occasionally abduct natives as conscripts to pad out their forces or to sell to other would-be warlords and pirate kings - something that has been known to backfire.
    Hrm...They'd be backwards enough to be easily coerced. But...Wouldn't you want someone who can operate vehicles or guns? I could waive the idea of using living people in place of AI given the setting, but why would these people be desirable? They're not going to be as physically adept or as big as anyone from a civilized planet, since diet affects size in most species.

Like I said, this really requires me to actually look at that particular setting and start trying to figure out what it's all about and why it's caught up in all its fight.
    One suggestion is that they aren't. Factions within the larger factions want to see the end of the others and are trying to manipulate things into war while cooler heads are working against them.

I wouldn't say "body-jacking" is really a common thing in this setting. But, interactions between this planet and the greater multiverse work - even in its seed concept, I've got a strong Fenrir from 40K vibe. It may actually have some rudimentary spelljamming technology, or at least know enough about spelljamming that it actually plays into their Valhalla-equivalent.
    So...So have you seen Stargate? Because I really reccomend it now that you are basically doing the same concept.

Also, you cut your second paragraph short, so I can't comment on it.
    *cough* My bad! Ignore that part.

Heh! I appreciate the laugh, but nah. This could be a very valuable site to plunder for outsider races - shaping life into a world isn't simple. All kinds of powers might want to steal Paxian secrets or just turn the project to their own advantage, whilst the Paxians are desperately recruiting others to help them keep the planet safe until its natives are strong enough to fend for themselves.
    So do they have a Prime Directive? (Please say no). Jokes aside, I like the idea of them helping out other species and there being more variety in intelligence and tech levels.

I get the 1980s reference, but why the 1940s?
    1) It's easy enough to research
    2) It is probably going to be different from the Renaissance and the 80's.
    3) Figured a place to slot in Call of Cthulu-esque adventures couldn't hurt
    4) It's a pretty popular era.
    5) B-movies like Forbidden Planet..Which is really more 1950's, but close enough. The 1940's had better fashions.

6. - Top - End - #276

Yes, but there were still reasons. Pirate towns occured in largely lawless areas, or areas where world powers were fighting. They also had profitable and hard to guard shipments going back to Europe. So what trade routes are there?
    Like I said, all of these ideas were literally sprung off of the top of my head. What you're seeing is, for the moment, what there is to get. That's something that needs to be fleshed out.

Not a trekkie, I see, tsk tsk. All seriousness, why is it a resort planet instead of a center of the arts and culture? Or does pleasure imply the intellectual and mental pleasures, not the base ones? Bascially, why a Las Vegas when you can have Paris?
    Because it wasn't envisioned as either. It's not like there's a limitation on planets I can throw out in this setting, and pleasure-worlds are a valid aspect of the setting. They're something to aspire to win rights to retire on. Or places to rob, depending on your PC's disposition.

Basically, more of a focus of WHAT was left. It seems like you will have ruined planets galore, which is not a bad thing. But what distinguishes them? Why would you go to one instead of another? What variances are there in terms of treasure hunting?
    Unique artifacts. Dead civilizations leave behind all manner of stuff, and each has their own mark, their own brand. It's a collector's market out there. Plus, like I said, this is spur of the moment and really amounts to a cliffnotes list, so we don't need to worry too much about being too specific.

Fair enough. I believe that the setting will dictate more planets then the reverse, but since we need so many planets for this to be playable, well, we might as well throw out ideas to think about as we go over the races. Especially the Traggen, who probably don't have a high esteem for trespassing laws.
    Indeed.

Hrm...They'd be backwards enough to be easily coerced. But...Wouldn't you want someone who can operate vehicles or guns? I could waive the idea of using living people in place of AI given the setting, but why would these people be desirable? They're not going to be as physically adept or as big as anyone from a civilized planet, since diet affects size in most species.
    Remember, this is a fantasy setting at heart, not a sci-fi one. Guns and vehicles have their place, but there's still a very real prominence of lots of soldiers trying to rip each other apart with melee weapons. It works for 40K, it worked for Spelljammer, it works for here. Likewise, the whole "civilized: bigger" is not necessarily true in fantasy games. There's a long tradition in fantasy of "savage" raes being bigger and stronger than civilized ones, and that "strengthened by war" motif is alive and well in this subsetting.

As for why they're desireable? One: they're expendable - they're aliens from some underdeveloped, exploitable planet, nobody gives two coppers for their lives and rights. Two: in this particular case, they're coming with existing military training; they're aggressive, they're used to bloodshed, they're not squeamish. They live through war - maybe they live for war, depending on how that subsetting develops. So they adapt to new environments readily and with ease. The tiny details may change, but war? War never changes.

One suggestion is that they aren't. Factions within the larger factions want to see the end of the others and are trying to manipulate things into war while cooler heads are working against them.
    Hmm. I should really get into that thread and develop it there; it's kind of leading us astray a little here, I think. So much to do, so little time.

So...So have you seen Stargate? Because I really reccomend it now that you are basically doing the same concept.
    ...I don't think they're even remotely the same.

So do they have a Prime Directive? (Please say no). Jokes aside, I like the idea of them helping out other species and there being more variety in intelligence and tech levels.
    Not as such, no, they don't have a Prime Directive. :P

1) It's easy enough to research
    2) It is probably going to be different from the Renaissance and the 80's.
    3) Figured a place to slot in Call of Cthulu-esque adventures couldn't hurt
    4) It's a pretty popular era.
    5) B-movies like Forbidden Planet..Which is really more 1950's, but close enough. The 1940's had better fashions.
    Good points. Plus, I like the idea of a Dieselpunk meets Pulp meets Noir by way of Dungeonpunk setting. A Hollow World setup, floating continents, grinding mechanized war, dirt and smog and hope and bravery all lingering together... mmm, already, it tastes delicious.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Had guest in from out of town and a work-related "social" event this weekend, and may have lost a USB drive with a lot of setting/concepts work for things I'm working on that I hadn't had a chance to back up in several days prior. And then my router died last night.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Like I said, all of these ideas were literally sprung off of the top of my head. What you're seeing is, for the moment, what there is to get. That's something that needs to be fleshed out.
    Ah, I don't mean to come across as hostile, my apologies. I do like the idea of this setting and many of the treasure planets.

Because it wasn't envisioned as either. It's not like there's a limitation on planets I can throw out in this setting, and pleasure-worlds are a valid aspect of the setting. They're something to aspire to win rights to retire on. Or places to rob, depending on your PC's disposition.
    I suppose those uncouth mercenaries that have earned their keep might want to retire on a planet of earthly delights as opposed to cerebral pursuits. No accounting for taste, really.

Unique artifacts. Dead civilizations leave behind all manner of stuff, and each has their own mark, their own brand. It's a collector's market out there. Plus, like I said, this is spur of the moment and really amounts to a cliffnotes list, so we don't need to worry too much about being too specific.
    Yeah, probably better to shelve for later when we have artifacts from the current guys to worry about.

I think the Lavaworld should have a rumors that a Warp Throne is there. All of these parties coming there to get burnt to a crisp, their ashen remains gently floating on rivers of lava.

Remember, this is a fantasy setting at heart, not a sci-fi one. Guns and vehicles have their place, but there's still a very real prominence of lots of soldiers trying to rip each other apart with melee weapons. It works for 40K, it worked for Spelljammer, it works for here. Likewise, the whole "civilized: bigger" is not necessarily true in fantasy games. There's a long tradition in fantasy of "savage" raes being bigger and stronger than civilized ones, and that "strengthened by war" motif is alive and well in this subsetting.
    What kind of weapons are there? I was sorta imagining blaster pistols (hand crossbows?) and laser swords. I imagine a part of the process of recruiting these people is giving them a chainsaw sword and seeing who doesn't try to touch it when it's turned on.

Through the idea of the savage war breeding good troops could have a slight nod to science if the world was seeded with excellent crops and plenty of fertile land. Might fix a few dietary issues here and there, and also explain why so many men (and possibly women, Vikings were sometimes ladies after all).

As for why they're desireable? One: they're expendable - they're aliens from some underdeveloped, exploitable planet, nobody gives two coppers for their lives and rights. Two: in this particular case, they're coming with existing military training; they're aggressive, they're used to bloodshed, they're not squeamish. They live through war - maybe they live for war, depending on how that subsetting develops. So they adapt to new environments readily and with ease. The tiny details may change, but war? War never changes.
    1) Shipping costs would have to be cheap. Slavery usually only works if you have population issues to make it remotely useful. Are civilized worlds populated, or are Aelfar plagues and ancient space magic going awry or angry mold zombies taking a dent out of populations?
    2) Are these slaves fashionable? Maybe every so often someone comes in and alters their DNA to suit different tastes.
    3) There is a definite implication that 'civilized' people are squeamish around blood. I sorta like toying with this idea, because it brings into question of how this phobia developed and who handles nastier tasks.
    4) Are pirates and other small groups doing the raiding? They wouldn't have the resources to alter the planet on a larger scale, but might stop by especially if this planet is rather isolated or in a nasty galactic neighborhood. Another idea is that this planet is stuck in an area like the Neutral Zone, so larger powers don't want to go there and cannot be seen stopping there frequently.

...I don't think they're even remotely the same.
    The setting at large? Goodness no, even if the TV series did have its share of goofy. The idea of aliens coming by pretending to be gods using their superior technology and kidnapping slaves? No, that's pretty similar. Maybe without the body-jacking aspect.

Not as such, no, they don't have a Prime Directive. :P
    Music to my ears~

Good points. Plus, I like the idea of a Dieselpunk meets Pulp meets Noir by way of Dungeonpunk setting. A Hollow World setup, floating continents, grinding mechanized war, dirt and smog and hope and bravery all lingering together... mmm, already, it tastes delicious.
    Could be interesting! And gives more variety to tech levels. Since I am not a historian (and I don't expect all players to be) maybe we should throw up a list of definite historical periods to have one representative from?

And I am sorry to hear about your work, Max_Killjoy. We'll be eagerly awaiting your return!

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Had guest in from out of town and a work-related "social" event this weekend, and may have lost a USB drive with a lot of setting/concepts work for things I'm working on that I hadn't had a chance to back up in several days prior. And then my router died last night.
    Oh, gods... yeah, you take all the time you need, MKJ; see you when everything clears up.

[QUOTE=Honest Tiefling;22227906]Ah, I don't mean to come across as hostile, my apologies. I do like the idea of this setting and many of the treasure planets.
    It's cool, I was just explaining that a lot of these things aren't that deep, inherently or due to lack of development.

I suppose those uncouth mercenaries that have earned their keep might want to retire on a planet of earthly delights as opposed to cerebral pursuits. No accounting for taste, really.
    Exactly! Plus, summer palaces and winter palaces have been a thing in every aristocracy across the world. Nobles always want somewhere that they can go and have a good time.

Yeah, probably better to shelve for later when we have artifacts from the current guys to worry about.

I think the Lavaworld should have a rumors that a Warp Throne is there. All of these parties coming there to get burnt to a crisp, their ashen remains gently floating on rivers of lava.
    Agree on the artifacts until later. Heck, really, you don't even need to get that specific. Given some of the crud that people were willing to buy for sheer prestige value in the 80s - hell, they still do it now, it's just the 80s were a time when it was more socially okay to be excessive - surely you can imagine what people would pay for genuine dead world relics?

After all, Ming dynasty porcelain in the real world ultimately is so valuable because nobody makes it anymore - can you imagine any sane person being willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a vase if there weren't all that mythos built up around it?

Lavaworld as a hiding place for Warp Throne(s) definitely sounds fitting.

What kind of weapons are there? I was sorta imagining blaster pistols (hand crossbows?) and laser swords. I imagine a part of the process of recruiting these people is giving them a chainsaw sword and seeing who doesn't try to touch it when it's turned on.
    A vast and eclectic array of weapons. Sorry, I can't be more specific. Blaster pistols, fiery or energy-bladed melee weapons, chainsaw weapons... pretty much anything that's sufficiently "metal" and "80s" will work. I'd need to grab up my copies of Black Crusade and the Pathfinder Technology Guide to give you a more concrete list of weaponry.

Through the idea of the savage war breeding good troops could have a slight nod to science if the world was seeded with excellent crops and plenty of fertile land. Might fix a few dietary issues here and there, and also explain why so many men (and possibly women, Vikings were sometimes ladies after all).
    Well, as I said over in its dedicated thread, I really need to work out the state of the world more, but I'm leaning heavily towards it normally being a fertile, viable, even nice planet to live on. It's just warfare is wrecking everything - if Malebolge is post-apocalyptic, than this is more apocalyptic. I haven't settled on a core reason as to why yet, but some kind of "indigenous external factor" (for example, angels and demons using it as a proxy in their own ongoing war) makes sense. After all, a divine curse by the dead god of war worked for Chainmail 2002.

1) Shipping costs would have to be cheap. Slavery usually only works if you have population issues to make it remotely useful. Are civilized worlds populated, or are Aelfar plagues and ancient space magic going awry or angry mold zombies taking a dent out of populations?
    2) Are these slaves fashionable? Maybe every so often someone comes in and alters their DNA to suit different tastes.
    3) There is a definite implication that 'civilized' people are squeamish around blood. I sorta like toying with this idea, because it brings into question of how this phobia developed and who handles nastier tasks.
    4) Are pirates and other small groups doing the raiding? They wouldn't have the resources to alter the planet on a larger scale, but might stop by especially if this planet is rather isolated or in a nasty galactic neighborhood. Another idea is that this planet is stuck in an area like the Neutral Zone, so larger powers don't want to go there and cannot be seen stopping there frequently.
    1: Civilized worlds vary quite drastically. As a general rule, "actively engaged" worlds (places where the populace is involved in the greater cosmic scale) tend to be highly populated, but that's not always the case. There's a lot of nasty stuff going on in the universe; you may have been joking, but those disasters really do happen and they do wipe out entire planets.

2: Slaves are always in fashion somewhere. Are slaves from this particular world fashionable? In some circles, yeah. There's a kind of underground market for things like this.

3: Don't forget, the major powers of the galaxy include the Aelfar (classic God Complex, backed by genuine life-crafting & necromancy), the Aurian Empire (manifest destiny) and the Paxians (not good at violence, but okay with others doing violence on their behalf). Not all races necessarily support slavery, but enough races and major criminals exist who are okay with it that slavery's all around. Imagine what the world would look like if Italy was legitimately controlled by the Mafia, or if the Triads had their own recognized nation-states.

4: That's exactly right; most slave-taking is done by pirates or dedicated criminal cartels. And yeah, this planet is supposed to be in one the "free space zones" where the Big Boys don't have of ficial sway.

The setting at large? Goodness no, even if the TV series did have its share of goofy. The idea of aliens coming by pretending to be gods using their superior technology and kidnapping slaves? No, that's pretty similar. Maybe without the body-jacking aspect.
    Well, you gotta admit, it's more of a pretty classic schtick for alien races that interact with less advanced species as a whole. It can get pretty dark out amongst those stars; setting up some kind of Prime Directive esque "Don't go exploiting non-spacefaring cultures" and an organization that enforces it should be a viable campaign goal.

Could be interesting! And gives more variety to tech levels. Since I am not a historian (and I don't expect all players to be) maybe we should throw up a list of definite historical periods to have one representative from?
    Hey, if "Space Counterpart Cultures" worked for Star Trek, why not here? But how would we put that list together?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, gods... yeah, you take all the time you need, MKJ; see you when everything clears up.
    The drive turned up someplace really strange, at least. Too fried and ornery right now, will catch up tomorrow.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

11. - Top - End - #281

Random question whilst I await your return from far-flung locales: what do you think would be a good (pseudo)-Latin translation of the phrase "Rip and Tear. Until it is done."?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Random question whilst I await your return from far-flung locales: what do you think would be a good (pseudo)-Latin translation of the phrase "Rip and Tear. Until it is done."?
    Which faction? I'd steal words and hammer them in from other languages that seem appropriate, but without knowing where it is going...

13. - Top - End - #283

Which faction? I'd steal words and hammer them in from other languages that seem appropriate, but without knowing where it is going...
    It's not thread relevant, just a question I wanted to ask and you guys seemed good fits to ask it from.

Also... that's all you wanted to reply to? Huh?

Anyway... let's have something useful from me: here's the GDoc I promised so long ago for this project. Now... what can I actually start putting in it? Any suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...aDLLZNqj4/edit
    Last edited by Shadow_in_the_Mist; 2017-07-26 at 11:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

So, random question to bump this thread: do you guys think I should start doing up codexes for the Aelfar, Jarill, Vanadirans or Tanuki, given all the discussion we've had on them so far?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Also... that's all you wanted to reply to? Huh?
    Sorry. I had work yesterday, and wasn't really the type of work I could devote time to this during it. If it makes you feel better, it was both unpleasant and dull!

Anyway... let's have something useful from me: here's the GDoc I promised so long ago for this project. Now... what can I actually start putting in it? Any suggestions?
    1) Aelfar should not be described as gender fluid. That's an actual gender identity in real life, which has a different meaning. I mean, some Aelfar probably are gender fluid, but I imagine a lot aren't. Using it in this sense will seem confusing or possibly misinformed.

2) You don't state it, but I assume that the matriarchical houses are matrilineal. The two aren't the same, so I'd just mention if they are. (And you will always get that one gamer who doesn't realize that matrilineal families are a thing...)

3) I think you should develop the Aelfar nteractions with other races a bit more. The idea there is a overview document and a racial codex might help in a situation where the setting seems to be made to be very intricate. In which case, ignore this statement. (And yes, I'll go over the codexes when I can).

4) I think at some point it was suggested that the Kixians get an enviromentalist streak to contrast them with the Jarill, who mostly don't care. Their section seems smaller, which is odd given that most people know what a snooty elf is, but might need more for the humanoid bugs. Their diet isn't even addressed.

5) What color are Kixians? I think I mentioned the Orchid Mantis, but most people associate mantises with the color green.

6) The Jarill face a similar problem. (there's no reason to assume that a monotreme would have the same diet as a platypus or a echidna). If they are from an artic world, I imagine fish/meat are the only ways to go. Also, are they synapsids, or monotremes?

7) We need a form of government for the Paxians, unless they went the empire route again. I think it'd be interesting for them to try something new this time around, but we can work on that when we address them.

8) For the Drossians, it has occurred to me. There are parasitic plants. Perhaps they resemble one of these more then a lotus? Sandalwood is a famous one, and one associated with the same regions as the lotus. (I don't think either is native to the same region, but hey, that's science). Would also be hilarious if the murder-plants happened to smell nice.

9) I think it should be clear that unlike the Aelfar, the Aurian empire is neither wholly good or evil in the racial overview section, even if it is repeated later on.

10) I thought the planet of the Vanadirans was Frayir, being a pun on their own name of origin and 'fray'.

11) If you intend this to be made for actual play I'd reword the first bit. I think the Clan-mothers need to be more mysterious in the overview, with some people even doubting their existence. Maybe elaborate that they are draconic felines in their codex. Basically, something like "Most Vanadirans claim to be the direct descendants of demigod-like figures, through no outsider has even seen these beings'.

12) I think the idea of hair length is a good one, but I'd go in a different direction: Elaborate. They give themselves elaborate hair styles with different dyes, ornaments and styling. It'd still get obviously ruined by combat, but I think it gives a potential player a little more freedom in deciding what their character looks like. Also, I want a damn pink leopard print mohawk.

13) What was decided for their coloration? I think that being able to visualize a character/race is important.

14) Radiant energy comes from the Elemental Chaos? I am not opposed to this, but it would be an interesting change. Especially since I think healing is no longer associated with positive energy of old.

15) Does the 'luminferous' mean that aether is visible? I guess having space be all sorts of shades of color is pretty 80's. But it would mean that you don't need advanced means to detect it, it's right there, see?

16) Why starjammers instead of starskimmers?

17) ...Are Warp Thrones the Jarill version of a god of protection and travel? You'd think they'd stick a god in there.

18) I would not say that the Aurian dragons have established themselves as gods. That implies they aren't gods, which is a matter I think should be more vague for an introduction.

19) I'd use the term Imperial China over Medieval China. A minor nitpick, but the word medieval is starting to only get used for Europe and Imperial China is an actual period of Chinese history that will help direct player's and DM research.

20) The God-Emperors have a culture of assimilation, which I really like. But instead of focusing on the followers...Why not go and have a diplomatic chat with the god itself? If the gods don't exist, they could make it seem like they did and mess with priests.

21) I'd replace the line 'Of wizards, theurges re the most common, for reasons that should be obvious.' with something more like 'Theurge wizards are the most common form of wizards, due to the people's gratitude of being taught magic'. PCs are natural rebels, so many people might wonder if wizards are a less form of spellcasting, or if a lot of wizards are preparing for a rebellion.

22) Let's not call sorcerers who dedicate themselves to the gods 'Favored Souls', because that is confusing. Let's call them 'Chosen' or something similar, which gets the point across.

23) Should the presence of the Elixir Vitae be known to the average PC? Also, should its name be so...Western? If we start to smash words together, we could call it Tan-jing, from this article.

24) Again, keep the elixir a secret. It'll be fun for a group of players to figure it out. A setting needs a few mysteries to poke at.

25) Agreed with the idea that the Lizardfolk getting promoted to different types is a bit convoluted. Their worship of the Ryujin generals and the holy form of the Emperors makes a lot more sense. Do they appear like this?

26) I think dragon urine is something we can just gloss over. Not all parts of the mythos needs to get ported over, and let's spare the poor future DMs from many a joke regarding golden showers. But yes, I do get the idea that the dragons can easily elevate life. Perhaps like the Paxians, they have their own pet project of a planet? Their advancement of this proto-sapient life could be in contrast to the Paxians.

27) The tail-shedding idea is a good one, I think. Sorry if I didn't comment on it the first time around! It should perhaps also be brightly colored, as a source of pride and well...Appearance.

28) I like the idea that they are all warriors. They don't need someone to watch the kids while at war, because they only earn the right to settle down and start a family once they have proved themselves. They don't have to worry about accidentally exterminating themselves in combat, because the God-Emperors surely wouldn't allow that! And the God-Emperors would stop their lands and belongings from being yoinked by non-warrior castes. Good contrast to others.

Sorry to cut things short, but duty calls. I'll try to comment more later.

16. - Top - End - #286

[QUOTE=Honest Tiefling;22242104]Sorry. I had work yesterday, and wasn't really the type of work I could devote time to this during it. If it makes you feel better, it was both unpleasant and dull!
    It's cool, sorry for panicking.

Before I start, I'll emphasize that waht's in the doc so far is pretty much entirely my grabbing comments from the past couple of pages and throwing them in there. So, your comments are accurte and often point towards refining.

Maybe break the document into two? A "canon" book, where everything we've established is set in stone, and a "development" book, where we can keep track of facts we're talking about and trying to refine before making them canon?

Anyway, onto your comments...

1) Aelfar should not be described as gender fluid. That's an actual gender identity in real life, which has a different meaning. I mean, some Aelfar probably are gender fluid, but I imagine a lot aren't. Using it in this sense will seem confusing or possibly misinformed.
    Gender fluid simply seemed the best way to quickly convey the whole...biological and cultural genders not matching and not even being the same as standard binary sexes. But fair enough.

2) You don't state it, but I assume that the matriarchical houses are matrilineal. The two aren't the same, so I'd just mention if they are. (And you will always get that one gamer who doesn't realize that matrilineal families are a thing...)
    Good catch, yes, they do more accurately get described as matrilinear.

3) I think you should develop the Aelfar nteractions with other races a bit more. The idea there is a overview document and a racial codex might help in a situation where the setting seems to be made to be very intricate. In which case, ignore this statement. (And yes, I'll go over the codexes when I can).
    Well, we can still technically talk about how they interact with other races.

4) I think at some point it was suggested that the Kixians get an enviromentalist streak to contrast them with the Jarill, who mostly don't care. Their section seems smaller, which is odd given that most people know what a snooty elf is, but might need more for the humanoid bugs. Their diet isn't even addressed.
    Firstly, yes, kixians are environmentalists and jarill aren't. Secondly, the kixian "note log" is kind of short because I didn't actually remember that much from our discussions, so yeah, that definitely could use appending.

5) What color are Kixians? I think I mentioned the Orchid Mantis, but most people associate mantises with the color green.
    Color varies depending on individual and fashion. Pigmentation changing dyes are widely used by their species to create patterns and color schemes - traditionalists in particular make more use of those than they do clothing.

6) The Jarill face a similar problem. (there's no reason to assume that a monotreme would have the same diet as a platypus or a echidna). If they are from an artic world, I imagine fish/meat are the only ways to go. Also, are they synapsids, or monotremes?
    Firstly, I'm presuming you're referring to their diet and not their coloration? Because, yes, I see them as carnivorous leaning omnivores, though they may have adapted to a more fungus/vegetation-based diet; space is a premium on ships, so other than on worldships, their access would probably be restricteds to small rodents. Secondly... what's the major difference?

7) We need a form of government for the Paxians, unless they went the empire route again. I think it'd be interesting for them to try something new this time around, but we can work on that when we address them.
    I was thinking gerontocracy councils - basically, the older and thus the wiser and more experienced you are, the more political power you lead. The sedentary elders hold technically ultimate authority, but can be outvoted by the rest of the council.

8) For the Drossians, it has occurred to me. There are parasitic plants. Perhaps they resemble one of these more then a lotus? Sandalwood is a famous one, and one associated with the same regions as the lotus. (I don't think either is native to the same region, but hey, that's science). Would also be hilarious if the murder-plants happened to smell nice.
    Hmm, interesting idea.

9) I think it should be clear that unlike the Aelfar, the Aurian empire is neither wholly good or evil in the racial overview section, even if it is repeated later on.
    Well, technically, both powers are neither wholly good nor evil, just both are prone to being jerks, but I think I get what you mean.

10) I thought the planet of the Vanadirans was Frayir, being a pun on their own name of origin and 'fray'.
    Yes, it is, although I don't recall missing that information out.

11) If you intend this to be made for actual play I'd reword the first bit. I think the Clan-mothers need to be more mysterious in the overview, with some people even doubting their existence. Maybe elaborate that they are draconic felines in their codex. Basically, something like "Most Vanadirans claim to be the direct descendants of demigod-like figures, through no outsider has even seen these beings'.
    Just to clarify these "notes" currently in the doc are for our use and will eventually be erased as the true "setting handbook" takes place. Still, a very good point.

12) I think the idea of hair length is a good one, but I'd go in a different direction: Elaborate. They give themselves elaborate hair styles with different dyes, ornaments and styling. It'd still get obviously ruined by combat, but I think it gives a potential player a little more freedom in deciding what their character looks like. Also, I want a damn pink leopard print mohawk.
    Hmm, much more interesting. I approve.

13) What was decided for their coloration? I think that being able to visualize a character/race is important.
    Um... whose coloration? I'm not sure what race you're referring to.

14) Radiant energy comes from the Elemental Chaos? I am not opposed to this, but it would be an interesting change. Especially since I think healing is no longer associated with positive energy of old.
    It's actually not as big of a change as you might think: the Positive Energy Plane was traditionally located amongst the other elemental planes in the Inner Planes. It's 5e that moved it to "beyond the Upper Planes".

15) Does the 'luminferous' mean that aether is visible? I guess having space be all sorts of shades of color is pretty 80's. But it would mean that you don't need advanced means to detect it, it's right there, see?
    No, it means "light bearing" - it's the medium that light moves through:
    In the late 19th century, luminiferous aether, aether, or ether, meaning light-bearing aether, was the postulated medium for the propagation of light. It was invoked to explain the ability of the apparently wave-based light to propagate through empty space, something that waves should not be able to do.
    16) Why starjammers instead of starskimmers?
    Old notes, essentially. You are right that might be more accurate, though.

17) ...Are Warp Thrones the Jarill version of a god of protection and travel? You'd think they'd stick a god in there.
    Very good point! Consider it canonized.

18) I would not say that the Aurian dragons have established themselves as gods. That implies they aren't gods, which is a matter I think should be more vague for an introduction.
    Bit nitpicky, but fair enough. Like I said earlier, though, these are cliff notes just for us designers.

19) I'd use the term Imperial China over Medieval China. A minor nitpick, but the word medieval is starting to only get used for Europe and Imperial China is an actual period of Chinese history that will help direct player's and DM research.
    That's the name I'd forgotten! Thanks for clearing that up.

20) The God-Emperors have a culture of assimilation, which I really like. But instead of focusing on the followers...Why not go and have a diplomatic chat with the god itself? If the gods don't exist, they could make it seem like they did and mess with priests.
    I... don't understand what you're getting at here.

21) I'd replace the line 'Of wizards, theurges re the most common, for reasons that should be obvious.' with something more like 'Theurge wizards are the most common form of wizards, due to the people's gratitude of being taught magic'. PCs are natural rebels, so many people might wonder if wizards are a less form of spellcasting, or if a lot of wizards are preparing for a rebellion.
    Again, designer cliff notes, but a fair point to keep in mind for the proper write-up.

22) Let's not call sorcerers who dedicate themselves to the gods 'Favored Souls', because that is confusing. Let's call them 'Chosen' or something similar, which gets the point across.
    Makes sense.

23) Should the presence of the Elixir Vitae be known to the average PC? Also, should its name be so...Western? If we start to smash words together, we could call it Tan-jing, from this article.
    No, its presence shouldn't be known, and Tan-jing sounds much better; I don't speak a word of Chinese.

24) Again, keep the elixir a secret. It'll be fun for a group of players to figure it out. A setting needs a few mysteries to poke at.
    Preaching to the choir, brother.

25) Agreed with the idea that the Lizardfolk getting promoted to different types is a bit convoluted. Their worship of the Ryujin generals and the holy form of the Emperors makes a lot more sense. Do they appear like this?
    It's not 100% accurate, but it's actually pretty close.

26) I think dragon urine is something we can just gloss over. Not all parts of the mythos needs to get ported over, and let's spare the poor future DMs from many a joke regarding golden showers. But yes, I do get the idea that the dragons can easily elevate life. Perhaps like the Paxians, they have their own pet project of a planet? Their advancement of this proto-sapient life could be in contrast to the Paxians.
    I didn't intend to directly reference that. And I think it makes a lot of sense. Hell, the entire empire could be one big petri dish if looked at from the right angles.

27) The tail-shedding idea is a good one, I think. Sorry if I didn't comment on it the first time around! It should perhaps also be brightly colored, as a source of pride and well...Appearance.
    I thought it was a pretty good idea myself. And making it colorful is a great idea.

28) I like the idea that they are all warriors. They don't need someone to watch the kids while at war, because they only earn the right to settle down and start a family once they have proved themselves. They don't have to worry about accidentally exterminating themselves in combat, because the God-Emperors surely wouldn't allow that! And the God-Emperors would stop their lands and belongings from being yoinked by non-warrior castes. Good contrast to others.
    I'm presuming this is referring to the Imori and the idea that the females are bigger and stronger, as in real lizards?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Points of Light:

Points of Dark:

I think I like all of these, especially if we regard these descriptions as "seeds" instead of "totalities".

Names can be worked on, personally I don't think they're that bad... I'd treat the "what it says on the tin" names as the sorts of names that "star raiders" with their raucous hodge-podge multilingual culture attach to things, with older native names not used as often. That fits the aesthetic of where many of the PCs are going to come from, and gives you time and space to create more "appropriate" names as needed later.

18. - Top - End - #288

I think I like all of these, especially if we regard these descriptions as "seeds" instead of "totalities".

Names can be worked on, personally I don't think they're that bad... I'd treat the "what it says on the tin" names as the sorts of names that "star raiders" with their raucous hodge-podge multilingual culture attach to things, with older native names not used as often. That fits the aesthetic of where many of the PCs are going to come from, and gives you time and space to create more "appropriate" names as needed later.
    Sorry for taking so long to make a reply, things have just been... not very good on my end of the screen.

Yeah, these are supposed to be idea seeds, not the totalities of what these worlds are - there's nowhere near enough for the latter. Thank you for recognizing that, and thank you for liking them.

And that's a very helpful comment on the names. I really appreciate it; naming stuff is always my weakness.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of "star raiders", I may be forgetting something or have missed an important part of a past post. I'm right in thinking these are the "adventurers" of the setting, right?

I'd be tempted, as I started to talk about above, to make this its own sort of cross-border sub-culture, with its own internal norms and rules and customs and lingo and so on.

One aspect would be the standards of quarter given and aide to those in dire straits. Think about how, in naval tradition, even sailors on opposite sides of a war won't leave their fellow sailors to drown if they can help it. Or how in the age of great explorers it might be considered "uncouth" to leave a fellow gentleman in a lurch in the jungle or on a mountain somewhere, even if your home countries were at war.

"Star raiders" might have rivalries and be on different sides sometimes, but the guy you leave on a burning ship or strand on some lost planet today, is the guy who might have been the strong sword at your side tomorrow or saved your life someday in return.

Just a thought.

And there can always be those rogues and zealots and fools and villains who don't honor the unspoken code.

20. - Top - End - #290

On the subject of "star raiders", I may be forgetting something or have missed an important part of a past post. I'm right in thinking these are the "adventurers" of the setting, right?

I'd be tempted, as I started to talk about above, to make this its own sort of cross-border sub-culture, with its own internal norms and rules and customs and lingo and so on.

One aspect would be the standards of quarter given and aide to those in dire straits. Think about how, in naval tradition, even sailors on opposite sides of a war won't leave their fellow sailors to drown if they can help it. Or how in the age of great explorers it might be considered "uncouth" to leave a fellow gentleman in a lurch in the jungle or on a mountain somewhere, even if your home countries were at war.

"Star raiders" might have rivalries and be on different sides sometimes, but the guy you leave on a burning ship or strand on some lost planet today, is the guy who might have been the strong sword at your side tomorrow or saved your life someday in return.

Just a thought.

And there can always be those rogues and zealots and fools and villains who don't honor the unspoken code.
    Yeah, this is the current draft name used "in universe" for adventurers, positively and negatively. Remember, in the right scenario, one group's plucky adventurers is another group's dirty bandits.

As for being a border-crossing sub-culture, that actually gels with what I had in mind for it! Thank you for helping articulate that element, because I've been tossing that around in the back of my head for ages.

To be a star-raider is to, by most standards, be apart from the normal civilization. It's not necessarily in a grimdark way, but adventurers are exceptional people, and that alienates them from the people who aren't exceptional. You get your humble souls who want to go back to the normal life again, for sure, but for many, it's a career that they can't ever leave. It promotes a code; Us (star-raiders) Against Them (everybody else) and finer levels of etiquette fueling this galaxy-spanning subculture.

In many ways, star-raiders are the underlying framework that holds a lot of the galaxy together. Even between cultures at war, their star-raiders on both sides are talking and trading and fighting, and that leads to cultural sharing. They don't get a lot of public acknowledgement, but in many ways, these are the guys keeping things ticking. They're trailblazers, underground couriers, mavericks, renegades and demagogues.

...Sorry, I think I'm losing the point. But, yes, definitely, there is very much an underground culture for the star-raiders, and that helps hold them together. Because without the codes of conduct, they're nothing but rabid animals.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is the current draft name used "in universe" for adventurers, positively and negatively. Remember, in the right scenario, one group's plucky adventurers is another group's dirty bandits.

As for being a border-crossing sub-culture, that actually gels with what I had in mind for it! Thank you for helping articulate that element, because I've been tossing that around in the back of my head for ages.

To be a star-raider is to, by most standards, be apart from the normal civilization. It's not necessarily in a grimdark way, but adventurers are exceptional people, and that alienates them from the people who aren't exceptional. You get your humble souls who want to go back to the normal life again, for sure, but for many, it's a career that they can't ever leave. It promotes a code; Us (star-raiders) Against Them (everybody else) and finer levels of etiquette fueling this galaxy-spanning subculture.

In many ways, star-raiders are the underlying framework that holds a lot of the galaxy together. Even between cultures at war, their star-raiders on both sides are talking and trading and fighting, and that leads to cultural sharing. They don't get a lot of public acknowledgement, but in many ways, these are the guys keeping things ticking. They're trailblazers, underground couriers, mavericks, renegades and demagogues.

...Sorry, I think I'm losing the point. But, yes, definitely, there is very much an underground culture for the star-raiders, and that helps hold them together. Because without the codes of conduct, they're nothing but rabid animals.

Yeah, I imagine that the Unspoken Code is also a nice offset to their raucous hodge-podge multilingual culture, the deep uncertainties of their lives, how unknown their futures are, etc. They have to have something to fall back on, and as you say, without it they'd be just a bunch of hired thugs and murderers and pirates (although some of them probably are all of that and worse).

They probably have this functional but kinda messy mashed-up language of their own, drawing from a dozen official languages and 10,000 local dialects and tongues... take the mix of English and Chinese from Firefly and crank it up to 11.

I love the idea that they're the unacknowledged, sometimes despised, but ultimately indispensable back-channel between all the powers for when even the spies and diplomats and secret "red phones" are shut down, and maintaining some contact between cultures even during the bitterest of times.

It seems that the Jarill would have better relations than most with "star raiders", as they occupy a sort of doggedly unconquered position between all the "great powers" -- powers that often resent their independence but find the cost of doing something about it, even if successful, untenable.

PS: if you ever want to take a look, I have a worldbuilding thread going as well, although a world of slightly smaller scale.

PPS: on the subject of monotreme and synapsids -- not sure what the intended distinction was, since monotremes would appear to be a subset of synapsids...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Work has appeared, so please expect my responses to be smaller, and less frequent. Please do not take this as disinterest, merely that my work likes to come in and out. And when it's in, it's all in.

Anyway! That statement regarding Aurians and assimilation confused me. The document, when I read it, mentioned that the Aurian emperors were willing to allow native worship, as long as the natives put the Aurian God-Emperors at the top. However, since the Jarill have gods one can speak to, would other people also have gods one can have a chat with? As diplomatic and grand as the God-Emperors are, surely a mere meeting with these lesser gods will convince the more wise and sensible ones of the God-Emperors superior divinity and ability.

The Monotreme/Synaspid thing, as far as I understand it, is that a Monotreme is a type of mammal, the Synaspid (when used colloquially) are usually closer to resembling reptiles then placental or monotremes. I think we can agree that the Jarill HAVE to be warm blooded, but having a mixture of more reptilian and mammalian features could be quite appealing. That was my bad, I didn't realize that the term had changed usage in the scientific sense. Stupid scientists renaming everything!

After all, there is the mythos of the Reptilian Alien (through I believe that is more British? Not sure where Australia lies on the whole Alien mythos thing). Furthermore, bald alien women are so a thing in Sci-Fi, through maybe a little later then what this setting is going for. While I was alive in the 80's, I can't say I remember them all that well since I was still in diapers.

23. - Top - End - #293

Yeah, I imagine that the Unspoken Code is also a nice offset to their raucous hodge-podge multilingual culture, the deep uncertainties of their lives, how unknown their futures are, etc. They have to have something to fall back on, and as you say, without it they'd be just a bunch of hired thugs and murderers and pirates (although some of them probably are all of that and worse).
    Indeed, that's one of the things that helped me decide to come up with it.

They probably have this functional but kinda messy mashed-up language of their own, drawing from a dozen official languages and 10,000 local dialects and tongues... take the mix of English and Chinese from Firefly and crank it up to 11.
    It's not without D&D precedent; look at the effort various settings have put into giving "language primers" for native languages (for example, the Ravenloft Gazetters of 3e), or the Cant of Planescape. I'm not saying I have the linguistics skills to put out my own primer for it, but I would 100% say that it exists.

I love the idea that they're the unacknowledged, sometimes despised, but ultimately indispensable back-channel between all the powers for when even the spies and diplomats and secret "red phones" are shut down, and maintaining some contact between cultures even during the bitterest of times.
    I love it too; why do you think I came up with that angle? :D

It seems that the Jarill would have better relations than most with "star raiders", as they occupy a sort of doggedly unconquered position between all the "great powers" -- powers that often resent their independence but find the cost of doing something about it, even if successful, untenable.
    It would seem so, and in truth, that's exactly the case.

Work has appeared, so please expect my responses to be smaller, and less frequent. Please do not take this as disinterest, merely that my work likes to come in and out. And when it's in, it's all in.
    Hey, no worries mate; thank you for having the character to give me a head's up first.

Anyway! That statement regarding Aurians and assimilation confused me. The document, when I read it, mentioned that the Aurian emperors were willing to allow native worship, as long as the natives put the Aurian God-Emperors at the top. However, since the Jarill have gods one can speak to, would other people also have gods one can have a chat with? As diplomatic and grand as the God-Emperors are, surely a mere meeting with these lesser gods will convince the more wise and sensible ones of the God-Emperors superior divinity and ability.
    The jarill are something of a minority case example; most races wouldn't directly intervene with their gods, for good or for ill - those that do have gods directly shepherding them tend to be better equipped to repel the Aurian's attempts at encroachment.

The Monotreme/Synaspid thing, as far as I understand it, is that a Monotreme is a type of mammal, the Synaspid (when used colloquially) are usually closer to resembling reptiles then placental or monotremes. I think we can agree that the Jarill HAVE to be warm blooded, but having a mixture of more reptilian and mammalian features could be quite appealing. That was my bad, I didn't realize that the term had changed usage in the scientific sense. Stupid scientists renaming everything!

After all, there is the mythos of the Reptilian Alien (through I believe that is more British? Not sure where Australia lies on the whole Alien mythos thing). Furthermore, bald alien women are so a thing in Sci-Fi, through maybe a little later then what this setting is going for. While I was alive in the 80's, I can't say I remember them all that well since I was still in diapers.
    I'll be honest, I'm kind of a little unsure of what you're saying, but yeah, I definitely agree that 1) Jarill HAVE to be warm blooded, and 2) they have a mixture of reptilian and mammalian features.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

The jarill are something of a minority case example; most races wouldn't directly intervene with their gods, for good or for ill - those that do have gods directly shepherding them tend to be better equipped to repel the Aurian's attempts at encroachment.
    Still, I would imagine the effort must be made, so the Aurians can point to these lesser gods being completely uncooperative and unwilling to be diplomatic. Why, this one culture sent only 50 assassins! Not only are they barbarians, but they insult the God-Emperor by sending such a measly force to destroy them! Clearly they must be educated...

I'll be honest, I'm kind of a little unsure of what you're saying, but yeah, I definitely agree that 1) Jarill HAVE to be warm blooded, and 2) they have a mixture of reptilian and mammalian features.
    Basically, how mammaly the Jarill are. I feel like someone should have scales and bald women, but maybe not the Jarill.

Another point for the Jarill being more allied with Star Raiders: They're probably not as inclined to be expansionist in the same way. Who wants a crummy planet with no AC, no radio and tons of algae and bugs!??!? Yuck! Hey, there, Star Raider. Want a free planet? Yeah, you can put your slaves there, just no Jarill slaves! Just give us some some ore, and we'll swing by and install some neato turrets for you! Doesn't that sound great? Just make sure no one else gets this planet and give us ore and we'll be buds.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, how mammaly the Jarill are. I feel like someone should have scales and bald women, but maybe not the Jarill.
    Based on other things, I had pictured the Jarill as a bit smaller than humans, with big dark eyes for taking in the dim cold light of their dying homeworld, and thick almost spiky (but pushed back due to always being in their suits) hair on their heads, and maybe a very short coat of downy hair across their whole body. Long nimble fingers befitting their adeptness with small machinery. Maybe digitigrade.

Another point for the Jarill being more allied with Star Raiders: They're probably not as inclined to be expansionist in the same way. Who wants a crummy planet with no AC, no radio and tons of algae and bugs!??!? Yuck! Hey, there, Star Raider. Want a free planet? Yeah, you can put your slaves there, just no Jarill slaves! Just give us some some ore, and we'll swing by and install some neato turrets for you! Doesn't that sound great? Just make sure no one else gets this planet and give us ore and we'll be buds.

That makes Star Raiders sound like pirates and slavers and wildcat colonists... which I don't get the impression they're supposed to be as a whole.

26. - Top - End - #296

Still, I would imagine the effort must be made, so the Aurians can point to these lesser gods being completely uncooperative and unwilling to be diplomatic. Why, this one culture sent only 50 assassins! Not only are they barbarians, but they insult the God-Emperor by sending such a measly force to destroy them! Clearly they must be educated...
    Of course. One doesn't get to be one of the biggest powers in the known galaxy by shying away from throwing one's weight around.

Based on other things, I had pictured the Jarill as a bit smaller than humans, with big dark eyes for taking in the dim cold light of their dying homeworld, and thick almost spiky (but pushed back due to always being in their suits) hair on their heads, and maybe a very short coat of downy hair across their whole body. Long nimble fingers befitting their adeptness with small machinery. Maybe digitigrade.
    Ah, see, I actually cooked up an appearance for the Jarill way back on chapter 4, when they were called the Scavvers, and I still like this result pretty much. Ironically, it's closer to Killjoy's interpretation. I'll post it below so we can properly debate it.

That said, you're right HT, a race with scales and bald women makes sense. But, hey, we have the Imori and Ryujin and maybe the Ki'rinii already; don't they count? Also the Quetzalii, if you're adamant that feathers can't count as hair.

Jarill
    The Jarill are short, waifish, delicately built humanoids, perhaps more famous for their modesty than their appearance. For cultural reasons, Jarill find it unthinkable to expose bare skin to others, especially the face, which is reserved only for the most private and intimate of settings. In casual settings, Jarill traditionally wear long gloves and sock-like appendages under flowing robes; as such apparel is often impractical, most instead settle for all-concealing "body-glove" style suits, which are the most recognizable of Jarill apparel.

Despite common assumptions otherwise, Jarill are actually not prudish, nor are they asexual. Although modesty demands the body be covered, that doesn't mean they can't be... enticing whilst clothed. For example, skin-tight body-gloves that leave nothing to the imagination, or layers of translucent veils that provide a tantalizing hint of the body beneath, whilst still covering everything from view. These would be considered very daring, but not scandalous - so long as the Jarill retains that most iconic emblem of their people, their mask. The naked face is the most intimate of sights in Jarill culture, granted only to lovers and children.

If one were to somehow see a Jarill undressed, then they would see a small, sylphish humanoid. A scavver's face is not too dissimilar to a human's, in terms of its outline, although there are fine differences. Their almond-shaped eyes have black sclera and vibrantly colored irises, whilst their noses are comparatively subtle and sharp. Their large ears resemble upside-down teardrops, with a sharply pointed, conical lobe and a wide, flattened oval for the upper part of the ear. Back-sweeping, chitinous horn-like growths that lie close against the scalp add a further sense of alienness; females have three horns, with one on each temple and a third in the center of the forehead, whilst males only have the two horns on the temples. The skin itself is a pale, blue-tinged white, uncomfortably like a frozen corpse in the opinions on some particularly sensitive souls. Attached to a human-like torso are two slender arms ending in delicate, three-fingered hands with particularly long and expressive digits, excellently suited for fine work. Not least of which because the outer fingers are actually opposable thumbs. The legs are digitigrade, ending in a three-toed, hoof-like paw; a single massive central toe with a powerful curving nail dominates the foot, with a smaller toe to either side of the foot. Finally, the most obviously inhuman feature of all, one visible even through their usual apparel: all Jarill sport long, prehensile tails, serpentine in shape.

Jarill are an advanced form of monotreme; though the females sport breasts and suckle their offspring on milk, and both sexes are warm-blooded, they are egg-layers.

That makes Star Raiders sound like pirates and slavers and wildcat colonists... which I don't get the impression they're supposed to be as a whole.
    Well, in fairness, you've both got points here. Killjoy's right in that star-raiders aren't always pirates/slavers/wildcat colonists, but at the same time, those groups would find that Jarill are willing to support them - they're a truly neutral power in the galaxy, in that they'll trade with anyone who doesn't offend (read: try to attack) them.

27. - Top - End - #297

So, just to get this back where you guys can find it, whilst you're both busy, should I try and draft up first edition "racial codexes", as I've done in my Malebolge setting? Aelfar, Jarill, Vanadiran, these three could all easily get a "player's handbook writeup".

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

So, just to get this back where you guys can find it, whilst you're both busy, should I try and draft up first edition "racial codexes", as I've done in my Malebolge setting? Aelfar, Jarill, Vanadiran, these three could all easily get a "player's handbook writeup".
    I need to go back and find your google.doc, and read through that... too tired tonight to be constructive.

29. - Top - End - #299

I'll repost the GDoc here, but I also tweaked my signature; it should have my two 5e setting GDocs linked in it now, I hope.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...DLLZNqj4/edit#

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Went back and found the link, and I was just reading through it.

Seems like a some of what we've discussed isn't in there, such as the Aelfar's peculiar aesthetics about body-shaping.