New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Designing Star-Fantasy Races

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Next question: What are you trying to do differently then PF/Spelljammer? That's not meant to be an insulting question, I just want to know what the setting is supposed to be.
    I... honestly don't know how to answer this. PF's space-fantasy elements just don't really click with me - they feel more like a PF analogue to D20 future than something that supports the "D&D in Space" motif. Spelljammer, I love it for being a non-planar world-hopping setting, but in the end, it's too campy and too obviously "Age of Sail in Space" in its motif.

I... really don't know how to explain what the setting is supposed to be. It's D&D under alien skies. Where ancient ruins may orbit dying suns and pirate kings gather the loot of a thousand worlds, ripe for the plucking. It's a place where science and sorcery are indistinguishable and often equally mysterious, where psychic elf-like matriarchs command mind-thralled hulking space orc slaves, and mechanical beings wield swords enwreathed in the same elemental fire that gives them life and soul, and brave adventurers travel between the stars on glimmer-scaled dragons whilst brandishing a sword in one hand and a pistol-like laser-wand in the other.

...Sorry, I really can't answer it better than that.

And why don't you throw up a longer write up, I feel like I am grasping at straws without more information.
    A longer write-up of what? The setting? A race? Can you be a little more specific, please?
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
    I... really don't know how to explain what the setting is supposed to be. It's D&D under alien skies. Where ancient ruins may orbit dying suns and pirate kings gather the loot of a thousand worlds, ripe for the plucking. It's a place where science and sorcery are indistinguishable and often equally mysterious, where psychic elf-like matriarchs command mind-thralled hulking space orc slaves, and mechanical beings wield swords enwreathed in the same elemental fire that gives them life and soul, and brave adventurers travel between the stars on glimmer-scaled dragons whilst brandishing a sword in one hand and a pistol-like laser-wand in the other.
    That seems like a fine explanation to me. It is epic DnD in space with pulpy elements. Science is a thing, but it appears to be as mysterious as magic, so certain modern elements such as industrialization might not exist or be bizarre in their application. Or am I wrong?

A longer write-up of what? The setting? A race? Can you be a little more specific, please?
    ...Well, ****. I thought I put the word race in there, I'm sorry. If it's okay, let's tackle these races one at a time. We're already having massive quote walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #63

That seems like a fine explanation to me. It is epic DnD in space with pulpy elements. Science is a thing, but it appears to be as mysterious as magic, so certain modern elements such as industrialization might not exist or be bizarre in their application. Or am I wrong?
    No, you basically got it spot on. Science and Sorcery are indistinguishable. Hell, for the most part, Science is Sorcery - technology is more of a trapping/aesthetic over an ultimately magical basis, like Eberron.

For example PF's Androids would fit right into this setting, but, fluff-wise, they're closer to warforged - hyper-advanced golems that have gained free will and independence at the cost of most of the traditional durability of the construct.

...Well, ****. I thought I put the word race in there, I'm sorry. If it's okay, let's tackle these races one at a time. We're already having massive quote walls.
    Be happy to! Since you're being so helpful, please, go ahead and pick a race to start discussing - although hengeyokai maybe work better if broken up to constiuent species (kitsunes are different to tanuki which are different to jorogumo).

And that reminds me, the "psychic matriarch" and "fantasy android" are two "space fantasy race niches" to fill at some point, but I'd rather focus on the races listed on the last page first before worrying about that.

Link to race concept post for ease of reference: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=41

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's go back to the Aelfar, since they're first on the list. You mentioned they had multiple empires/colonies?

Also, a question: You don't want the Age of Sail feeling of Spelljammer, so how does this setting fix that issue? I ask because it could be a political thing, which would influence the history and culture of the races.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #65

Let's go back to the Aelfar, since they're first on the list. You mentioned they had multiple empires/colonies?
    Heh! You decided to go full easy mode here, huh? Alright, let me see what I can share - this is going to be very stream-of-consciousness, because I tend to actually lose track of my ideas if I stop and think about them too much...

The Aelfar will tell you that the Sundering of the Exodus, when different colony-fleets went different ways after fleeing the death of their homeworld, was born of outside circumstances. And, this is true to an extent; space-storms and the like did play a large role in causing lone ships or whole groups to break away from the main fleet as it traveled towards its current domicile. But the truth is that a large part of the blame lies in aelfar arrogance and the simple fact that long-range communication was never a priority for them. By the time they managed to get a proper star-spanning network going, those who'd gotten lost along the way were scattered into the darkness of space; the "mainstream" community doesn't even know that any of these "strays" managed to survive.

Not that they'd care much, because even now, the aelfar are not exactly a united people. That's what happens when you're an entire race of aristocrats - there's literally no class divisions as such amongst the aelfar. You have the necromancer elves, who are basically the nobles, and you have the various engineered slave-beasts, which are, quite obviously, not going to be a political presence - how often does your computer get to vote on your income tax?

Incidentally, this means that "Aelfar Space" is a great origin point for "minor" PC races; experiments in more independent/intelligent slaves that may have failed, or worked too well, or even worked out as intended.

Aelfar society is a byzantine affair - the trope that comes to mind is "Deadly, Decadent Court". Aelfar group themselves in very large extended family units - Clans, Houses, whatever you want to call them - and these are essentially nations unto themselves that conduct both internal and external intrigue, mostly against other aelfar Houses.

Yeah, there are shades of drow culture in this, but it's essential that they're not as mindlessly obsessed with backstabbing treachery as the drow - they're not desperate to please an insane demon-goddess, after all.

Aelfar Houses are matriarchal, mostly out of symbolism: their cultural ideology is rooted in the concept that they are masters of life and death. As women, by giving birth, produce new life, they are seen as exemplifying this mastery. However, the active embrace of flesh-warping and biomancy has...influenced this. There are male House Heads... but, achieiving that position requires a sacrifice. To become able to access this highest of social ranks - in a nutshell, aelfar culture is like "male mayors are fine, male senate members are fine, but only a woman can be president" - an aelfar male has to undergo a ritualized "ascension" process, which boils down to either being transformed into a woman and undergoing a complete and successful pregnancy, or altering their anatomy to undergo a pregnancy whilst male. A House Head literally cannot claim the seat unless they've given birth at least once, and some of the more ambitious male House Heads do so more than once, for whatever reason.

Incidentally, in a "splatbook writeup" of the setting, there would be a huge sidebar here stating "yes, this is potentially some creepy crud; consider your players' feelings and adjust this aspect of the lore to suit your table!"

Despite what one might think, Aelfar culture is very much not a necrocracy. That's not to say sapient aelfar undead don't exist, but, culturally, they're inferior: undeath is seen as the route of a failure, someone who lacks the mojo to preserve their life any other way. Aelfar liches and mummies are forbidden by law from holding positions of political power and influence; an aelfar who chooses to become a lich is a very obsessed sage or even someone sentenced to this fate as the ultimate punishment.

Aelfarian longevity is assisted by their mastery of necromancy and flesh-warping. Of course, culturally, there are limits to what is acceptable; feasting on souls to sustain your youth is pretty much the height of unacceptable even to the most jaded aelfar House Head. Likewise, body-jacking younger aelfar is a hideous crime. You don't get to do that stuff. Period.

"Clone-jacking", on the other hand, where a young, soul-less body is produced in a uterine replicator for the explicit purpose of being a new host to an old soul, is legal. But "rejuvenated" aelfar are legally considered entirely new people by aelfar law. This means that such an aelfar cannot retain anything from their past life except maybe their membership in their old House, and even that can be renounced if they desire it or their House doesn't want them back. It's a brand new start... in every possible way. Many aelfar who undergo "rebirth" in that way don't even both to make an identical clone, to reinforce that by doing so, their old life is ending. New faces, new appearances - maybe even new genders, if they feel like it - it's rather like Gallifreyian Regeneration in Dr. Who, only without the ability to carry on the previous existence's life.

The Aelfar have a... complicated... relationship with the outside universe. A lot of their focus is directed inwards, for obvious reasons. But external diplomacy is a thing for many reasons. Outside factors can not only be a potential edge in the "great game" they play amongst their own kind, but the simple truth is that the novelty amuses and excites the Aelfar. After all, if you're going to live for eons, why do the same thing over and over again?

Novelty is a big commodity for these necromantic elves, and that really shouldn't be surprising when you think about it.

For obvious reasons, the "Xixixians" (and I desperately need help with a better name) attract a certain paternal fondness from the Aelfar, if with some condescending overtones. They see a kindred spirit and the bugs are eager to learn from the masters, so tutelage and trade are common.

Traggens amuse the aelfar, who see them as perfect playthings; easily bent to heel by enchantment spells if brute force is necessary, easily goaded by the skilled diplomat, and mindlessly violent enough to be huge fun as the war against each other, battle-beasts or anyone the aelfar sees fit to aim them at - yes, this has strained ties with the galaxy when they realize aelfar houses are behind traggen crusades.

Dworgs really don't like the aelfar, but when they're aware of them, the aelfar actually quite like them. The fact that these are "traggen with brains" intrigues and excites the aelfar, who consider them much better sport. Hells, if I ever do 5e crunch for the Tel-Amhothlan (elf/orc hybrids from Kingdoms of Kalamar), they would fit in perfectly as the fruit of the rare unions when aelfar persuade dworg "rival-friends" to give in to their feelings of Foe Yay. That's not to say there aren't traggen-born Tel-Amhothlan, but they're much rarer, as fewer aelfar see the traggen as being worth coaxing into bed.

Felinoids are similar to the traggen, as far as Aelfar are concerned: deliciously violent and primitive, and so much fun to play with.

Humans are fun; not as viable as sport as the traggen and felinoids, but amusing, and that adaptability has such interesting prospects. Aelfar being aelfar, this interest can range from trading agreements to trying to enslave and experiment upon humans to trying to get humans into bed.

Denizens of the Aurian Empire are mostly rivals, which in the aelfar viewpoint actually makes them valuable friends: testing their mettle against the military might of the Aurian Empire is a good way to while away the centuries.

For the same reason, Quetzalii and their tendency to hate aelfar makes them fun, although most consider them much more boring than dworgs - so prone to ranting about "the light" and all that nonsense.

Snapperjaws are basically slave-stock waiting to be tamed, as far as the aelfar are concerned. They haven't succeeded on a wide scale yet, but they've had results promising enough to keep the "kill them all, they're useless vermin" advocates to an easily ignored minority.

Lotusians make aelfar roll their eyes with their preaching, but the elves do respect the plant-sages. They just don't show it very openly. Still, they admire the lotusian pasion, and their knack for surviving.

Scavvers are... mostly under the aelfar radar. These space elves prefer bio-tech and necro-tech for their gear, so they don't have a lot of interest in the mekanikal artificering of the scavvers. They're not hostile, they just... don't usually interact.

Voidstalkers are a source of keen interest, and their assassins have often had profitable relationships amongst the aelfar Houses.

...And, I've basically run out of steam here, so I'll just leave this for when you return.

Also, a question: You don't want the Age of Sail feeling of Spelljammer, so how does this setting fix that issue? I ask because it could be a political thing, which would influence the history and culture of the races.
    Really, my complaint about Spelljammer is the fact that it takes the "space is an ocean" theme too literally. The IEN is basically "the British Empire - but elves!", the Giff are parodies of British soldiers, etc. So, really, so long as the greater meta-culture isn't based on real-world cultures during the Age of Sail, that's not much of a problem as I'm seeing it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Not that they'd care much, because even now, the aelfar are not exactly a united people. That's what happens when you're an entire race of aristocrats - there's literally no class divisions as such amongst the aelfar. You have the necromancer elves, who are basically the nobles, and you have the various engineered slave-beasts, which are, quite obviously, not going to be a political presence - how often does your computer get to vote on your income tax?
    Aelfar society is a byzantine affair - the trope that comes to mind is "Deadly, Decadent Court". Aelfar group themselves in very large extended family units - Clans, Houses, whatever you want to call them - and these are essentially nations unto themselves that conduct both internal and external intrigue, mostly against other aelfar Houses.
    These two quotes are what confuses me. Do you mean that every Aelfar has equal rank, has equal rank from birth (with deeds deciding who is higher/lower), or that everyone is a noble? The Deadly Decadent Court tropes usually work with the idea of jockeying for status, which doesn't work if everyone has the same rank. Prestige might be a better thing to jockey for, which would lead to informal social standing.

Incidentally, this means that "Aelfar Space" is a great origin point for "minor" PC races; experiments in more independent/intelligent slaves that may have failed, or worked too well, or even worked out as intended.
    I quite like this idea, because you ALWAYS get that one guy who wants to RP something strange, and this means they aren't immersion breaking. I'd consider making a few examples for players to choose from later down the line.

Yeah, there are shades of drow culture in this, but it's essential that they're not as mindlessly obsessed with backstabbing treachery as the drow - they're not desperate to please an insane demon-goddess, after all.
    Drow vary a bit from edition and setting. I'd elaborate more on this point, because it'll show how far the Aelfar are willing to go to get a leg up and how insane their politics are. (Warning: I don't like drow)

Aelfar Houses are matriarchal, mostly out of symbolism: their cultural ideology is rooted in the concept that they are masters of life and death. As women, by giving birth, produce new life, they are seen as exemplifying this mastery. However, the active embrace of flesh-warping and biomancy has...influenced this. There are male House Heads... but, achieiving that position requires a sacrifice. To become able to access this highest of social ranks - in a nutshell, aelfar culture is like "male mayors are fine, male senate members are fine, but only a woman can be president" - an aelfar male has to undergo a ritualized "ascension" process, which boils down to either being transformed into a woman and undergoing a complete and successful pregnancy, or altering their anatomy to undergo a pregnancy whilst male. A House Head literally cannot claim the seat unless they've given birth at least once, and some of the more ambitious male House Heads do so more than once, for whatever reason.
    I sorta like this, but I'm a sucker for fantasy and sci-fi exploring new territory. I would actually say if you are going to include this, expand on it. What personality traits are attributed to men and women? Are these men treated as full fledged women, or do they occupy a third gender role? What if other people felt like being a different gender for non-political reasons, temporary or not?

Despite what one might think, Aelfar culture is very much not a necrocracy. That's not to say sapient aelfar undead don't exist, but, culturally, they're inferior: undeath is seen as the route of a failure, someone who lacks the mojo to preserve their life any other way. Aelfar liches and mummies are forbidden by law from holding positions of political power and influence; an aelfar who chooses to become a lich is a very obsessed sage or even someone sentenced to this fate as the ultimate punishment.
    Why would you bestow lichdom on someone with every reason to attack you? Perhaps a lesser form should be used, one that is...More controllable. So they're still useful, but not about to go on a rampage. I think inventing a new form of Undeath seems quite fitting for these guys.

Since Aelfar seems to be based on the norse word for elf, what if they were like Dragur and confined (magically, physically or otherwise) to a particular location? They can be useful, but the chances of them going on a rampage are minimized since they can't get up and leave. I don't know how confined Dragur were, but it's a start.

Aelfarian longevity is assisted by their mastery of necromancy and flesh-warping. Of course, culturally, there are limits to what is acceptable; feasting on souls to sustain your youth is pretty much the height of unacceptable even to the most jaded aelfar House Head. Likewise, body-jacking younger aelfar is a hideous crime. You don't get to do that stuff. Period.
    What about jacking a young body of a enemy race as a spy?

"Clone-jacking", on the other hand, where a young, soul-less body is produced in a uterine replicator for the explicit purpose of being a new host to an old soul, is legal. But "rejuvenated" aelfar are legally considered entirely new people by aelfar law. This means that such an aelfar cannot retain anything from their past life except maybe their membership in their old House, and even that can be renounced if they desire it or their House doesn't want them back. It's a brand new start... in every possible way. Many aelfar who undergo "rebirth" in that way don't even both to make an identical clone, to reinforce that by doing so, their old life is ending. New faces, new appearances - maybe even new genders, if they feel like it - it's rather like Gallifreyian Regeneration in Dr. Who, only without the ability to carry on the previous existence's life.
    Do their personalities also change, much like Dr. Who, or are they mentally the same?

The Aelfar have a... complicated... relationship with the outside universe. A lot of their focus is directed inwards, for obvious reasons. But external diplomacy is a thing for many reasons. Outside factors can not only be a potential edge in the "great game" they play amongst their own kind, but the simple truth is that the novelty amuses and excites the Aelfar. After all, if you're going to live for eons, why do the same thing over and over again?
    Makes sense. Perhaps mix it with a obsession to master things, which might explain Aelfar artisans.

For obvious reasons, the "Xixixians" (and I desperately need help with a better name) attract a certain paternal fondness from the Aelfar, if with some condescending overtones. They see a kindred spirit and the bugs are eager to learn from the masters, so tutelage and trade are common.
    What role do these Xixixians play? Are they pets, children, toys?

Also, Kixians?

Traggens amuse the aelfar, who see them as perfect playthings; easily bent to heel by enchantment spells if brute force is necessary, easily goaded by the skilled diplomat, and mindlessly violent enough to be huge fun as the war against each other, battle-beasts or anyone the aelfar sees fit to aim them at - yes, this has strained ties with the galaxy when they realize aelfar houses are behind traggen crusades.
    If you do not have Traggen gladitorial matches, I'd be sad. They could breed Traggen like people breed dogs, making several distinct lineages with weird features.

Dworgs really don't like the aelfar, but when they're aware of them, the aelfar actually quite like them. The fact that these are "traggen with brains" intrigues and excites the aelfar, who consider them much better sport. Hells, if I ever do 5e crunch for the Tel-Amhothlan (elf/orc hybrids from Kingdoms of Kalamar), they would fit in perfectly as the fruit of the rare unions when aelfar persuade dworg "rival-friends" to give in to their feelings of Foe Yay. That's not to say there aren't traggen-born Tel-Amhothlan, but they're much rarer, as fewer aelfar see the traggen as being worth coaxing into bed.
    This...Could be difficult territory for some, given the connotations. I'd consider giving some warning on this as well. Through what if a Aelfar wanted to high jack a Dworg/Aelfar hybrid body to commit some act they're really not supposed to?

Denizens of the Aurian Empire are mostly rivals, which in the aelfar viewpoint actually makes them valuable friends: testing their mettle against the military might of the Aurian Empire is a good way to while away the centuries.
    I would assume this could lead to a bloody and unpleasant affair. Or do the Aelfar challenge the Aurians to duels? I would find it amusing if the Aelfar were trying to bribe Aurians into duelling them with a fleet or go to a planet and unleashing different soldiers. Criminals and the dishonored Aurians could basically be sacrified to amuse the Aelfar to stop an outright war.

Lotusians make aelfar roll their eyes with their preaching, but the elves do respect the plant-sages. They just don't show it very openly. Still, they admire the lotusian pasion, and their knack for surviving.
    I imagine their bodies would be of particular interest, both scientifically and in bed.

Hope some of that helped.

7. - Top - End - #67

So many comments! Allow me to reply to them... :D

These two quotes are what confuses me. Do you mean that every Aelfar has equal rank, has equal rank from birth (with deeds deciding who is higher/lower), or that everyone is a noble? The Deadly Decadent Court tropes usually work with the idea of jockeying for status, which doesn't work if everyone has the same rank. Prestige might be a better thing to jockey for, which would lead to informal social standing.
    What I mean is that every Aelfar is effectively a noble when compared to non-aelfar. Basically... the aelfar social pyramid is a fairly simple construct; the small top section reads 'aelfar', the larger bottom section reads 'everybody else' - although that's a gross simplification, because A: there's an incredibly fine-tuned array of nuanced social ranks governing the ranks of the aelfar themselves, and B: it's possible to get "honorary aelfar status" for a loyal minion or even an entertaining wild-card.

In a nutshell... there's no such thing as an "aelfar dirt farmer" within aelfar space. Even the lowliest aelfar still probably has slaves tending to their needs and regards themselves as a noble in comparison to other races. Impoverished patrician instead of a simple peasant, you follow me?

I quite like this idea, because you ALWAYS get that one guy who wants to RP something strange, and this means they aren't immersion breaking. I'd consider making a few examples for players to choose from later down the line.
    Oh, yeah, sure. There's lots of room for minor races in this setting. Heck, one thing I've considered is that there's arace that specializes in abducting denizens of "lesser" (no spelljammer tech) worlds, which could be used for new races or even Malebolgian PCs in this setting.

Drow vary a bit from edition and setting. I'd elaborate more on this point, because it'll show how far the Aelfar are willing to go to get a leg up and how insane their politics are. (Warning: I don't like drow)
    I didn't exactly mean anything by it. I was just acknowledging that, yes, some people are going to look at a matriarchal culture of black magic-using, slave-commanding, scheming, bored aristocrats and immediately say "they're drow!"

I sorta like this, but I'm a sucker for fantasy and sci-fi exploring new territory. I would actually say if you are going to include this, expand on it. What personality traits are attributed to men and women? Are these men treated as full fledged women, or do they occupy a third gender role? What if other people felt like being a different gender for non-political reasons, temporary or not?
    Firstly, I just want to say that I'm glad I haven't offended you. Secondly... I actually don't have any idea for personality traits associated with each gender; are you okay with discussing possibilities? Thirdly, socially, I'm tempted to say that "mother-men" make up a third gender role; really, we need to more firmly distinguish just what the gender roles in society are. Finally, if an aelfar wants to swap genders for any reason, they can do so and get not so much as a second look: there's a ritual for males to females who want to claim the right to be a house head, because that's ceremonial, but the aelfar are master flesh-crafters who have centuries to explore the universe. Changing gender can be as casual as changing coats if they feel like it.

Why would you bestow lichdom on someone with every reason to attack you? Perhaps a lesser form should be used, one that is...More controllable. So they're still useful, but not about to go on a rampage. I think inventing a new form of Undeath seems quite fitting for these guys.

Since Aelfar seems to be based on the norse word for elf, what if they were like Dragur and confined (magically, physically or otherwise) to a particular location? They can be useful, but the chances of them going on a rampage are minimized since they can't get up and leave. I don't know how confined Dragur were, but it's a start.
    Good point on that... in fact, there was a weaker lich called the Vassalich in Ravenloft; maybe that'd be good for a mechanical basis for the Draugr?

What about jacking a young body of a enemy race as a spy?
    That's usually a different matter; such spies typically have their old body preserved in stasis and have to return to it in order to retake the place in society. Body-jacking foreign races for immortality is not normal, because doing so is to forfeit all place in aelfar society - it's like rebirth, but even worse, because a reborn aelfar is still given the basic rights as an aelfar, whilst a reincarnated one is an outsider who has to work to try and become an honorary aelfar first.

Do their personalities also change, much like Dr. Who, or are they mentally the same?
    It depends on the individual. Some stubbornly maintain their old selves, some allow themselves some level of change, others allow themselves to undergo a total reinvention of who they were.

Makes sense. Perhaps mix it with a obsession to master things, which might explain Aelfar artisans.
    Good idea!

What role do these Xixixians play? Are they pets, children, toys?

Also, Kixians?
    Somewhere between students and children would be my kneejerk summary. Also, Kixian sounds pretty good! Thanks!

If you do not have Traggen gladitorial matches, I'd be sad. They could breed Traggen like people breed dogs, making several distinct lineages with weird features.
    Heh, yes, the gladiatorial combat is a thing. Breeding distinct lineages could work... maybe even that'd be the setting's origin for the equivalent of goblinoids?

This...Could be difficult territory for some, given the connotations. I'd consider giving some warning on this as well. Through what if a Aelfar wanted to high jack a Dworg/Aelfar hybrid body to commit some act they're really not supposed to?
    I'm sorry, but... I don't really understand your point here? I'm basically saying that aelfar find dworgs so entertaining that, for some, it manifests into a full-fledged love-affair. They would never rape "their" dworg, though courtship is definitely unusual to an outside perspective... Slap, Slap, Kiss is the first trope to come to mind.

And body-snatching a tel-amhothlan would be a huge crime, as much as doing the same to another aelfar. Ironically, as racist as they kind of are, the aelfar belief is that any creature with legitimate blood ties to the aelfar is another aelfar, and that includes in terms of legal protection. Aelfarian half-elves and tel-amhothlans are as much aelfar as purebloods, at least in mainstream culture.

I would assume this could lead to a bloody and unpleasant affair. Or do the Aelfar challenge the Aurians to duels? I would find it amusing if the Aelfar were trying to bribe Aurians into duelling them with a fleet or go to a planet and unleashing different soldiers. Criminals and the dishonored Aurians could basically be sacrified to amuse the Aelfar to stop an outright war.
    What I mean is, like the T'au Empire in Warhammer 40,000, the Aurian Emire has a belief that its manifest destiny is to conquer and "enlighten" the universe. They go through periods of alternating diplomacy/realpolitik and outright expansion. These latter times are the most interesting to aelfar, to the point they have actually saved numerous worlds and lesser species by appearing out of nowhere to fight the Aurians back - not because they cared about the politics, but simply because the chance to test their soldiers against the universe's other major aggressive military power is too good to pass up.

I imagine their bodies would be of particular interest, both scientifically and in bed.
    Heh, especially since getting an asexual, androgynous species that doesn't remotely reproduce in the mammalian fashion is quite a coup d'etat. Although, in fairness, sex and sexuality could be a very enticing (if taboo to confess) "deviancy" that many traveling lotusians (Didn't we rename them something? Paxorians?) secretly succumb to...

8. - Top - End - #68

Just had this thought and felt I should share it...

In the setting of "Star-Raiders", I think the most defining definition would be "Points of Light" in the style of Warhammer 40,000: there are great empires whose politicking shapes the future of the universe, but even in the territory of those empires, authority can be a loose matter. Basically, most of the universe is lawless frontier territory, either due to corruption/indifference from imperial masters or due to simply not falling under the territorial banner of any great faction.

Essentially, "World of Adventure" is the defining setting trope here, as in 4e's Nentir Vale setting: the only difference between the corrupt cityscapes and the lawless wilderness is just what faces the danger wears.

Building on this, there's a very distinct hierarchy to racial presence in this setting. Think of it like... Mass Effect! You have the Council Races (Asari/Salarians/Turians/Humans) who dictate policy for the galaxy as a whole, the Citadel Races who obey the Council Races but receive protection for it, and the Outcast Races, who neither acknowledge the Council Races' authority nor benefit from their aid.

Take that basic concept, make it less unified and more "diplomacy between different imperial powers", ala Earth prior to World War 1 & 2, and you have the idea of how the galaxy more or less functions here.

For the crude outline of the hierarchy...

Great Race: Any race that possesses spelljamming capabilities and has established a united, organized hold over a significant number of planets or otherwise possesses a strong militaristic influence over the galaxy at large. These are the "big boys" of the galaxy, the policy dictators.

Minor Race: Any race that possesses spelljamming capabilities, but which is not capable of reliably influencing the galaxy at large, whether due to inferior numbers (Lotusians) or inherent disorganization (Traggen).

Lesser Race: Any race that does not possess spelljamming capabilities and thusly is at the bottom of the proverbial foodchain.

Vassal Race: Any Minor or Lesser Race that is directly under the authority and control of a Great Race.

The Aurian Empire is unique in that it's effectively a coalition of Minor Races that've gathered in collective strength under the God-Emperors to the extent of claiming Great Race status.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry, but... I don't really understand your point here? I'm basically saying that aelfar find dworgs so entertaining that, for some, it manifests into a full-fledged love-affair. They would never rape "their" dworg, though courtship is definitely unusual to an outside perspective... Slap, Slap, Kiss is the first trope to come to mind.
    Through it might be outright forced, I would say that there are enough questionable elements overall to warrant a warning in the final text. These are obviously not nice people, but I think it's better to acknowledge that this is morally grey territory.

I think I am getting what you are saying with the Points of Light, but I'm interested to know how this is accomplished. This is an era with presumed FTL travel and communication, so how do you get the lawlessness of certain regions? WH4K does it with the idea (I think, I don't play it) that humanity is essentially decaying and very distracted, as well as reality warping beings randomly showing up to mess with things causing communication issues.

So what has built this world to be in a state where 'border' worlds are more lawless?

10. - Top - End - #70

Through it might be outright forced, I would say that there are enough questionable elements overall to warrant a warning in the final text. These are obviously not nice people, but I think it's better to acknowledge that this is morally grey territory.
    I... think I'm getting at your complaint, your wording is a little hard to follow in the first sentence, but yeah, I agree that even if the couplings are voluntary, a side-bar noting that this is potentially very uncomfortable territory is warranted.

I think I am getting what you are saying with the Points of Light, but I'm interested to know how this is accomplished. This is an era with presumed FTL travel and communication, so how do you get the lawlessness of certain regions? WH4K does it with the idea (I think, I don't play it) that humanity is essentially decaying and very distracted, as well as reality warping beings randomly showing up to mess with things causing communication issues.

So what has built this world to be in a state where 'border' worlds are more lawless?
    A significant part of it is whilst spelljamming allows for FTL travel, FTL communication isn't so reliable or quick. Not necessarily as bad as in WH40K, where your message to the next solar system might not be heard for 1000 years, but this is definitely not like Star Trek/Wars, where you can speak in real time to somebody on the other side of the galaxy with total ease.

Not helping is that there's no one over-arching galactic civilization. You've got big fish who want to be huge fish and medium fish who want to be big fish; that means war, strife, sabotage, plague and all sorts of other conflicts keep the lines of civilization flexible. Furthermore, the races with power tend to focus that power on their own turf, not on their neighbors.

There's no "Star Knights" who are responsible for keeping some universal justice system and maintaining galactic law and order under the directions of a benevolent universal government here. If you live in vassal space, you've got some local justice-keeping force of some kind, but their resources usually don't stretch enough to cover every single inch at all times, and they definitely don't have jurisdiction over the border.

It's kind of a Wild West situation. Live in the big civilized hotspots, and everything's hunky-dory; police are out and usually not corrupt, so you benefit. Live towards the frontier, and it might be a long time before the sheriff visits, so you better be prepared to look after yourself in case they aren't there when you need them. Live in the no-man's lands? Then out here, there's no justice, there's just you.

Hell, it's why adventurers flourish; same way bounty hunters and bandits did in the Wild West.

Does this help explain things?

So, what did you think of the other answers I gave about the Aelfar?

And what race do you want to tackle next when you feel the Aelfar have received enough treatment for the moment?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I wanted to tackle that issue, in case it would prohibit certain aspects of the world.

The idea that Aelfar are all pampered nobles is I think a good one, because you often get that in other settings without an explanation of how such wealth got generated.

As for the Aelfar, I personally like where they are going. If gender is going to be important, it would matter more then 'women good, men bad' that is often seen. You could handwave it that different colonies have different opinions on the matter, especially since people will have different ways of trying to deal with that issue at their table. It would also give Aelfar characters something to gripe about when meeting their own kin.

However, two points I want to address: The Drow of many a setting where socially competent. I get the feeling that since the Aelfar tend to put other races into neat little boxes and assume they'll take on whatever role for their enjoyment, they're going to be naturally sucky at working with members of other species that don't fit with their ideals. Or am I wrong?

Also, I do like the idea that they consider half-Aelfar to be fully members of their race. But this leads to an issue: What happens when these people continue to breed? Is there a cut-off point at which a person is no longer considered Aelfar, even if they have distant Aelfar heritage? How are these half-Aelfar treated?

One idea is that the half-Aelfar are often shuffled into diplomatic roles, since the century-lived leaders are too preoccupied with a complex century long war with the Aurians to figure out their language or their name right now.

12. - Top - End - #72

As for the Aelfar, I personally like where they are going. If gender is going to be important, it would matter more then 'women good, men bad' that is often seen. You could handwave it that different colonies have different opinions on the matter, especially since people will have different ways of trying to deal with that issue at their table. It would also give Aelfar characters something to gripe about when meeting their own kin.
    Here's something I've been thinking: given how adept the aelfar are at flesh-crafting, what if it's not a case of gender roles? What if "Mother" is entirely separate from gender?

With the arts they've developed, these space elves (or space drow, however you prefer to think of them) can twist the natural laws in all sorts of ways. They can reproduce asexually through the magical equivalent of uterine replicators. Hrells, a female aelfar could be a biological father by having the right tools/spells used to fertilize another female's - or a male-mother's - ovum with her genes. Merely being capable of reproducing isn't, in and of itself, important.

Motherhood is sacred to the aelfar. Why? Becoming a mother, which they define as actually carrying a new life to term in one's body and giving birth to it, is a symbol. It's a display of power over life and death, of the courage to undertake the trials of pregnancy, of the fortitude to endure the pains of gestation and birth, and the strength to remain capable of active despite so heavy a burden.

In essence, it's not that the aelfar believe "women are better", it's that "mothers make better leaders". By undergoing this strictly defined take on motherhood, an aelfar is showing that she - or he - has the right stuff to be a good leader.

Motherhood doesn't automatically qualify you to be leader. But it is an essential component of the qualifications to be a leader. Like... having gone through the trials of pregnancy and birth is akin to having a diploma; it doesn't mean you'll get the job, but it does make you far more attractive than the candidate who didn't finish high school, you get what I'm saying?

However, two points I want to address: The Drow of many a setting where socially competent. I get the feeling that since the Aelfar tend to put other races into neat little boxes and assume they'll take on whatever role for their enjoyment, they're going to be naturally sucky at working with members of other species that don't fit with their ideals. Or am I wrong?
    Yeah, pretty much; the aelfar aren't exactly your diplomatic race. Probably better to try a human or a lotusian if that's your thing.

Also, I do like the idea that they consider half-Aelfar to be fully members of their race. But this leads to an issue: What happens when these people continue to breed? Is there a cut-off point at which a person is no longer considered Aelfar, even if they have distant Aelfar heritage? How are these half-Aelfar treated?
    Half-aelfar are a true-breeding race, and the aelfar blood is dominant - one part Eberron's treatment of half-elves, one part a logical side effect of all that necromantic and biomantic stuff the space-elves do. So, "breeding out" the aelfar takes a lot of sustained effort - 10 or so generations without ever mating with either another half-aelfar or a pureblood aelfar.

Even then, the smallest drop of aelfar blood is something their biomantic devices can tap into. One can petition an aelfar clan for membership by having your dormant aelfar heritage reactivated, switching your race to the appropriate halfbreed with the aid of their geno-machines.

...Of course, you don't want to make such a petition lightly, because if you don't have aelfar ancestry, the process will kill you in a very nasty wy.

One idea is that the half-Aelfar are often shuffled into diplomatic roles, since the century-lived leaders are too preoccupied with a complex century long war with the Aurians to figure out their language or their name right now.
    Heh, yeah, although the tel-amhothlans might not be quite so good at it as their human-blooded equivalents, half-aelfar do make much better diplomats as a whole than aelfar tend to.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I sorta like the idea that the Aelfar are both or neither gender as they please, and they might be outright dismissive of any culture that ties sex and gender together, since they're pretty much living proof that doesn't have to be the case.

The idea that motherhood is tied to leadership qualities does make sense. I guess I like the idea of dropping a mother-leader onto the party who identifies, acts, and looks male. What, men can't be mothers? Oh right, you're from a less advanced species *scoff*. You poor things.

Have the Aelfar tried to uplift anything? That seems up their alley somehow.

14. - Top - End - #74

I sorta like the idea that the Aelfar are both or neither gender as they please, and they might be outright dismissive of any culture that ties sex and gender together, since they're pretty much living proof that doesn't have to be the case.
    Heh, as our host's own webcomic lampoons, D&D elves are traditionally seen as androgynous; the Aelfar just take it up a notch or two in terms of functionality.

The idea that motherhood is tied to leadership qualities does make sense. I guess I like the idea of dropping a mother-leader onto the party who identifies, acts, and looks male. What, men can't be mothers? Oh right, you're from a less advanced species *scoff*. You poor things.
    Yeah, plus, when you really think bout it, conventional gender roles don't make any sense for a species adept enough and jaded enough that they can switch between genders as they see it.

Have the Aelfar tried to uplift anything? That seems up their alley somehow.
    I was about to say "no, but that's a good hook for a lesser/minor race", but then I stopped and thought... what bout the Kixians? Like, they may have acquired sapience on their own, but what if it's the Aelfar who've nurtured their culture's growth, accelerated their mastery over biotech, and provided them with the keys to spacetravel?

Heck, maybe the Kixians are actually the legacy of one lost aelfar colony, who created them and then died off whilst they were still in a comparatively primitive state? The aelfar houses thusly consider the Kixians to be "adoptive children" of a sort?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Well...You know what you said about half-Aelfar? Either they are accepted as Aelfar (or children of the Aelfar) because they were created, or someone snuck in some Aelfar genes for whatever reason. I get the feeling these guys are very much 'A wizardbio-mancer did it'. So they might BE part Aelfar in a very strange sense.

What do the Kixians think of their surrogate parents?

16. - Top - End - #76

Well...You know what you said about half-Aelfar? Either they are accepted as Aelfar (or children of the Aelfar) because they were created, or someone snuck in some Aelfar genes for whatever reason. I get the feeling these guys are very much 'A wizardbio-mancer did it'. So they might BE part Aelfar in a very strange sense.

What do the Kixians think of their surrogate parents?
    Hmm... I'm not really sure, honestly. I definitely feel there would be a strong appreciation for them, and respect as teachers, but they shouldn't be mirror-images of them, because I want to do homage to the more useful parts of the Xixchil who inspired them - I'll put that down below.

So, do you think maybe we're ready to transition from talking about the Aelfar to discussing the Kixians? Or are there more things we need to establish for these space-dark-elves?

Original Xixchil Fluff: Taken from Spelljammer: The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook
    Xixchil are six-limbed insectoid beings with body structures much like that of a praying mantis. Their forward limbs are long and hook-like, with sharp retractable blades, while their center pair of limbs are smaller, and are often fitted with delicate mechanical manipulators.

The xixchil decorate themselves through surgical modification (see the Body Manipulation special proficiency described later). A typical xixchil will have gems, jewels, and precious metals fitted to its exo-skeleton and formed into exquisite and unique shapes.

The overriding xixchil philosophy is "survival of the fittest." Each individual is expected to improve itself through study and surgical modification. Xixchil surgeons can accomplish amazing transformations, allowing each xixchil to be a nearly unique being.

This philosophy extends to xixchil morality as well. An individual's allegiance is first to itself, then to its family, and finally to society. Xixchil adventurers will sometimes accord their party-mates the status of "family," but the xixchil are rarely willing to sacrifice themselves to help even then.

Adventuring xixchil wander the universe, seeking ever more prestige through experience and discovering more and more utilitarian "treasures." Xixchil aesthetics are much different from those of humans and demihumans, however. The xixchil find as much beauty in an efficient killing machine as a dwarf does in a well-fashioned piece of jewelry.
    Xixchil MM Entry: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/xixchil.php

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... I'm not really sure, honestly. I definitely feel there would be a strong appreciation for them, and respect as teachers, but they shouldn't be mirror-images of them, because I want to do homage to the more useful parts of the Xixchil who inspired them - I'll put that down below.
    Well then. I can see what you mean by the selfishness being an issue. The teamwork thing is intriguing as well.

How does their bio-tech differ? That's probably an important question. I do like the idea of them being a subserviant race, but with the idea that some resent this division and want to strike out on their own.

So, do you think maybe we're ready to transition from talking about the Aelfar to discussing the Kixians? Or are there more things we need to establish for these space-dark-elves?
    I think overall, the Aelfar are fine, except I guess I don't really understand how their war works with the Aurians. Other then that, I think they are established. Only thing left to do is to go over details like family structure, size, dwelling size and layout, clothing, food, and fashion.

Oh. Er. Religion. That...Should probably be a thing. They could do ancestor worship, with their ancestors watching over them through their DNA or something. Maybe a psychic genetic memory if you aren't too married to science.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-06-13 at 07:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Well then. I can see what you mean by the selfishness being an issue. The teamwork thing is intriguing as well.

How does their bio-tech differ? That's probably an important question. I do like the idea of them being a subserviant race, but with the idea that some resent this division and want to strike out on their own.
    Biotech: I was thinking that Kixians, like Xixchil, focus on self-improvement, whereas Aelfar focus on dominance. Basically, an Aelfar would create a living suit of armor to protect them, whilst a Kixian would rather harden her carapace to better serve as armor. Aelfar engineer other organisms to suit their needs, Kixians engineer themselves to suit their needs. Does that make sense?

Subservience: My original intentions is that the Kixians are technically an independent race; they do receive protection from the Aelfar, but, on paper, they're not direct servants of the Aelfar. Think we can preserve that?

On a different topic... in real life, female praying mantids are very much the dominant gender. Given that, and the aelfar's own... gender-related quirks... how might that affect the Kixians? I can kind of see them having ended up similar to the Khepri from Bas-Lag, where only females are sapient and the smaller males are tolerated for breeding but otherwise seen as the animals they are, or them having mutated into a parthenogenic race, or even a blend of the two; there are non-sapient males who can be used to produce genetically different offspring, but who are otherwise regarded as vermin - even being eaten by the females - but the ability for female Kixians to stimulate asexual reproduction in each other, or even inseminate each other, is growing due to bio-tech and cultural moves away from needing to put up with something so embarrassing as having to mate with an animal to create a child.

I think overall, the Aelfar are fine, except I guess I don't really understand how their war works with the Aurians. Other then that, I think they are established. Only thing left to do is to go over details like family structure, size, dwelling size and layout, clothing, food, and fashion.

Oh. Er. Religion. That...Should probably be a thing. They could do ancestor worship, with their ancestors watching over them through their DNA or something. Maybe a psychic genetic memory if you aren't too married to science.
    Basically, every so often, the Aurians decide to launch an invasion; if they get wind of it, the Aelfar tend to immediately pop up and interpose. Sometimes the aelfar will even invade Aurian territory if they feel like it.

I'm actually kind of drawing a blank on all of those minor details, so I'd be happy to discuss them. Hmm... maybe family structure is based on the Maiden/Mother/Crone archetype? You have the Maidens, who are the individuals who haven't borne children and so are lowest on the totem pole; the Mothers, individuals who have given birth and thus make up the direct leadership of the family; and the Crones, aelfar liches who have chosen to embrace undeath as a way to guard and advise their children for eternity, essentially making them warrior-sages.

Religion... well, really, do you think they'd have one? Their whole philosophy basically champions them as the masters of life and death, divinely blessed with the might and thus the right to create, shape and destroy the living and the dead as they see fit. Still... narcissistic aspects don't mean a philosophy, religious or secular, can't be revered. Ancestor-worship through "the memories in the blood" does sound very much like them - this is far, far closer to Star Wars than Star Trek on the "scale of sci-fi hardness", after all.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Biotech: I was thinking that Kixians, like Xixchil, focus on self-improvement, whereas Aelfar focus on dominance. Basically, an Aelfar would create a living suit of armor to protect them, whilst a Kixian would rather harden her carapace to better serve as armor. Aelfar engineer other organisms to suit their needs, Kixians engineer themselves to suit their needs. Does that make sense?
    Yeah, I think it's an interesting way to tackle it, and makes the two distinct.

Subservience: My original intentions is that the Kixians are technically an independent race; they do receive protection from the Aelfar, but, on paper, they're not direct servants of the Aelfar. Think we can preserve that?
    That was bad word choice on my part. But them depending on the Aelfar for trade and protection while a faction desires independence seems good.

On a different topic... in real life, female praying mantids are very much the dominant gender.
    Not...Really. Mantises don't have a social structure, and in some species don't tend to indulge in sexual cannibalism. Mantises in captivity tend to do this more often as the male cannot escape. Also, females prey on males because 1) the species wouldn't have evolved otherwise and 2) the females are larger.

Given that, and the aelfar's own... gender-related quirks... how might that affect the Kixians?
    Since they're bug people, maybe it really doesn't occur to them that the Aelfar sexes would be anything like their own. Their pheromones are completely off and the ladies are too small. They're wise beings, but really funny looking ones that grow weird stuff on the tops of their heads. Looks nice, but weird to the touch.

I can kind of see them having ended up similar to the Khepri from Bas-Lag, where only females are sapient and the smaller males are tolerated for breeding but otherwise seen as the animals they are, or them having mutated into a parthenogenic race, or even a blend of the two; there are non-sapient males who can be used to produce genetically different offspring, but who are otherwise regarded as vermin - even being eaten by the females - but the ability for female Kixians to stimulate asexual reproduction in each other, or even inseminate each other, is growing due to bio-tech and cultural moves away from needing to put up with something so embarrassing as having to mate with an animal to create a child.
    You already have a lady-only race. Since the Kixians already modify themselves to be useful, why not take a page from the Clownfish? Kixians could have different genders, as distinguished by their carapace or coloration. They just swap out the plumbing as needed to make the next generation because they are a practical people who want to swap genes to make their race stronger. They might have their leaders be female, as females become larger and sometimes it's good to have your leader a little harder to kill and as an artifact of contact with the Aelfar.

20. - Top - End - #80

Sorry, a poor choice of words: "dominant" was used as a shorthand for the fact that female mantids are larger than males, a biological adaptation caused by being egg-layers, and a reference to the fact that they do sometimes practice sexual cannibalism.

As for the reproductive issue... basically, we have one "matriarchal" bio-tech race in the Aelfar, and we know how that works out. What I was asking is: How might we give Kixians a gender aspect that likewise takes into account A: real-life mantids have much larger and fiercer females, B: its access to bio-modification and cultural doctrine of "your body is the temple of your soul; make it resplendent", and C: its cultural ties to the aforementioned Aelfar?

Simply saying that they switch genders as they see fit feels a little... off, to me. At the very least, it's just doing exactly the same thing as the Aelfar themselves do.
    Last edited by Shadow_in_the_Mist; 2017-06-13 at 07:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

It could very well simply be to distinguish themselves from their Aelfar allies. The Aelfar are larger then life, masters of death, while the Kixians are a more subtle, down to earth people. Swapping genders repeatedly is against their ethos, each change is meant to be permanent, lasting, carefully planned, and well thought out. The Kixians perhaps like to think of themselves as being wise, patient and thoughtful, unlike the more fickle Aelfar. They do not think this way of thinking is superior, and has its strengths and weaknesses. However, by embracing it, not only do they have an identify, but they can compliment the actions and thoughts of their Aelfar allies, something that might be more important to them due to a higher drive to work together.

Maybe females dominate the military, something their men folk don't mind because they are naturally larger. If the Kixians are egg layers, then they could simply lay eggs before going off to battle, leaving them in the care of their men, who are more able to hide due to a smaller size. This doesn't accommodate the idea that females will attack males, but maybe that's an aspect best left out of the race that is very cooperative.

22. - Top - End - #82

It could very well simply be to distinguish themselves from their Aelfar allies. The Aelfar are larger then life, masters of death, while the Kixians are a more subtle, down to earth people. Swapping genders repeatedly is against their ethos, each change is meant to be permanent, lasting, carefully planned, and well thought out. The Kixians perhaps like to think of themselves as being wise, patient and thoughtful, unlike the more fickle Aelfar. They do not think this way of thinking is superior, and has its strengths and weaknesses. However, by embracing it, not only do they have an identify, but they can compliment the actions and thoughts of their Aelfar allies, something that might be more important to them due to a higher drive to work together.

Maybe females dominate the military, something their men folk don't mind because they are naturally larger. If the Kixians are egg layers, then they could simply lay eggs before going off to battle, leaving them in the care of their men, who are more able to hide due to a smaller size. This doesn't accommodate the idea that females will attack males, but maybe that's an aspect best left out of the race that is very cooperative.
    So, basically, Kixians follow the normal bug route of females being bigger, and that means females gravitate towards combat roles, but otherwise both sexes are present and normal?

...Eh, sure, let's go with that. It's actually a nice contrast to the Aelfar; on the one hand, we have elves whose genders are all weird, and on the other, we have alien bugs who, whilst not a perfect synch for our take on gender, are otherwise pretty normal.

Alright, so, what do you think of my idea about the Maiden/Mother/Crone family structure for Aelfar? And what other details do we need to establish for the Kixians? To reiterate, this is their concept summary from back on page 2:

Kixians: Mantis-like humanoids who evolved on a deadly, hostile jungle world, the xixixians grew to dominate their world not through physical might, but through superior intelligence, using teamwork and self-improvement to modify their bodies and improve their minds until they could outwit and outfight the predators and other dangers of their homeworld. Body modification is a religion to the xixixians, with each believing that their body is a temple of the soul and must be refined, honed and customized to better suit their true nature. This makes them about the only race with close ties or respect for the Aelfar, fellow masters of flesh-warping. Indeed, so ingrained is this belief in literal bodily refinement that not only is it used for ornamentation, but they have literally engineered themselves into different sub-species, based upon different philosophies about how much they should integrate into the greater galactic society.
    (Essentially, Xixchil without the "stupidly individualistic" aspects of the fluff, and further inspiration taken from this pic here, which is basically a thri-kreen version of the infamous "furry meter": https://1d4chan.org/wiki/File:Buggy_chart.jpg "Purists" would be the 90% model, balancers the 70% model, and the most integration-focused/diplomatic corps caste would be the 50% model. Would need to homebrew racial stats for this.)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

...Eh, sure, let's go with that. It's actually a nice contrast to the Aelfar; on the one hand, we have elves whose genders are all weird, and on the other, we have alien bugs who, whilst not a perfect synch for our take on gender, are otherwise pretty normal.
    Yeah, so the Aelfar and the Kixians are similar, but not all samey.

Alright, so, what do you think of my idea about the Maiden/Mother/Crone family structure for Aelfar? And what other details do we need to establish for the Kixians? To reiterate, this is their concept summary from back on page 2:
    I think I'm a little confused what you mean by this, perhaps you could expand on it? What decides which subrace you are, for instance?

24. - Top - End - #84

I think I'm a little confused what you mean by this, perhaps you could expand on it? What decides which subrace you are, for instance?
    Sorry, are you referring to the Aelfar or the Kixians here? I'll try and elaborate upon both...

Aelfar Genders:
    In the distinctly non-traditional gender-based social system of the Aelfar, individuals are divided into three castes; Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

Members of the Maiden caste are individuals who have not borne offspring - they may have fathered offspring, but they have not carried a pregnancy to term. The only major social marker against this caste is that they are not allowed to hold high-level leadership positions. A Maiden could be come a sergeant, but not a general. Transitioning from Maiden to Mother is a simple, one-way process that requires formally petitioning for the right to do so, followed by undergoing a pregnancy.

Members of the Mother caste are individuals who have borne offspring. These are the political caste, from whose ranks the highest leaders of Aelfar society are drawn. They are the masters of the Houses - the extended, matrilinear family unit that is the foundation of aelfar society - and decide policy for the race as a whole, although there are many differing levels of status and power within their ranks.

Members of the Crone caste are a distinct rarity. These aelfar have chosen to remove themselves almost entirely from the structure of the Houses by embracing undeath. Although they can be respected for their skills and knowledge, they are forbidden from holding any form of formal office, rendering them powerless amongst the oft-Byzantine political struggles of their people.

Kixian Subraces:
    The kixians are an insectoid race who are not only practitioners of flesh-crafting, but also have a racial philosophy of self-improvement and augmentation through its use. Exploring the galaxy has confronted them with the fact that most other races out there are very different looking to them. This has led to differing philosophies about integration with the galactic community (such as it is), revolving around a simple question: should they be willing to change how they look to better fit in with their neighbors? This has led to three distinctive sub-species of kixian.

Traditionalists believe that they have no need to change what they are just because they are different to the majority of galactic races. These kixians still maintain their native shape: a man-sized preying mantid with its central limbs having evolved from legs into surprisingly deft manipulators. These kixians stand out in the crowd and do often run into problem in environments that are built for more conventionally humanoid bodily configurations. They are stronger and tougher, but can run into social problems, as they truly look alien compared to most other races.

Integrators believe that since the universe so obviously favors the humanoid form, then their philosophy of Evolve Or Die demands they change themselves to suit. Although traits like chitinous plating, antennae and clawed digits makes their insect ancestry obvious, these are the most human-like of kixians, complete with more definitively humanoid facial traits (pupils in their eyes, mostly) and with only one set of arms. This gives them a huge advantage when it comes to interacting with other races, who can latch onto their similarities and ignore their differences, but it comes at the cost of many of the strengths of their more bestial relatives.

Harmonists believe that whilst the humanoid form is clearly advantageous, they shouldn't deny everything they were. Walking the middle-ground between Traditionalist and Integrator, Harmonists adhere to the bipedal body-structure and many humanoid norms, but retain far more insectile traits than Integrators do, such as possessing four arms and lacking pupils in their eyes. Currently, this faction holds a small minority in population, as its jack-of-all-trades master-of-none approach seems to have the most benefits from both their humanoid status and their ancestral armaments.

Crunch-wise, this'd be just like selecting your subrace in a normal D&D game, except there's provision to argue for an expensive procedure to be able to change your subrace.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

The Aelfar genders make sense, except for the name. Since any male (or whatever) can give birth as much as they want, why the feminized names? Is it a relic of an older time? Or just the best translations that can be had with other races? Or even terms made up by other races that the Aelfar find terribly amusing to hear?

I'd argue Crone is a bad term given connotations, but since Undeath is seen as a colossal ****-up, that seems pretty on the nose.

With the Kixians, are all born to a base race and modified later, or have the genes of the Harmonists/Intregators made them a true breeding subrace? How do these three function together in a single society, since I assume that the Traditionalists have some physical advantages.

Also, are they exo- or endo-thermic? Do they have an advantage because diseases/toxins don't affect them the same way? Do they have green blood? They could present another advantage to the Aelfar, who presumably use bio-weaponry. Just make things that don't work on the Kixians, and there you go.

As for the procedure, I'd just allow the thing. This is Sci-fi, so some body modification seems pretty in line with the setting so far. However, that does raise the question of if mental stats are retained or not, which could lead to balance issues. Also, how long does it take for the genetic modification to work? It could simply be a plot point that takes years to undergo properly (Becoming an accidental genetic chimera is probably not a good thing, but I could be wrong), meaning that it is an effective retirement for most games.

26. - Top - End - #86

The Aelfar genders make sense, except for the name. Since any male (or whatever) can give birth as much as they want, why the feminized names? Is it a relic of an older time? Or just the best translations that can be had with other races? Or even terms made up by other races that the Aelfar find terribly amusing to hear?
    I was figuring they're old terms from before the race truly mastered flesh-crafting, when the race was more of a true matriarchy, and they linger because of tradition and it's funny to see the other races hurt themselves trying to understand them. Translation issues also make sense.

I'd argue Crone is a bad term given connotations, but since Undeath is seen as a colossal ****-up, that seems pretty on the nose.
    I... don't really follow you here.

With the Kixians, are all born to a base race and modified later, or have the genes of the Harmonists/Intregators made them a true breeding subrace?
    I was thinking initially that all kixians are born traditionalist and then choose to modify themselves at an early point in their lives, but maybe it makes more sense that the Harmonists and Integrators are true-breeding by now?

How do these three function together in a single society, since I assume that the Traditionalists have some physical advantages.
    When the three races coexist together, they tend to take on different social roles; traditionalists in the military, integrators in fields that require lots of contact with other species (merchants, etc), harmonists in fields that keep the society working harmoniously.

That said, there are places where the three sub-species go their separate ways and have no contact with each other.

Also, are they exo- or endo-thermic? Do they have an advantage because diseases/toxins don't affect them the same way? Do they have green blood? They could present another advantage to the Aelfar, who presumably use bio-weaponry. Just make things that don't work on the Kixians, and there you go.
    I have no idea on the exo/endothermic split; the former makes sense, given they're bugs who evolved on a jungle world, but given their biotech, they could have manipulated themselves to be at least partially endothermic by this point.

Resistance to disease and poison makes sense, between both their own biology and their self-improvement; it's a nice racial trait for their statblock.

Green blood sounds perfectly suitable as a flavor trait.

As for the procedure, I'd just allow the thing. This is Sci-fi, so some body modification seems pretty in line with the setting so far. However, that does raise the question of if mental stats are retained or not, which could lead to balance issues. Also, how long does it take for the genetic modification to work? It could simply be a plot point that takes years to undergo properly (Becoming an accidental genetic chimera is probably not a good thing, but I could be wrong), meaning that it is an effective retirement for most games.
    What I was thinking was is that "bio-modding" could be a prolonged downtime activity - not sure of the rules for that, need to check the DMG later. It requires all your time and energy, but allows you to get the selected traits... of course, maybe that's better off being handwaved as just a way to get "boons"...
    Last edited by Shadow_in_the_Mist; 2017-06-15 at 02:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

So, just trying to bump this; after the Kixians are sorted, which would you be most comfortable with discussing next? Felinoids, Scavvers or Quetzalii?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

For the crone thing, I wasn't clear. I would normally say that crone with all of its negative connotations doesn't make sense for a social class, except that in this case, it would make sense it would have minor negative impact given that undeath isn't supposed to happen.

Why not do the Scavvers? I'd like to know what they look like. A player of one would know, and people might loot a dead body and sorta figure it out. Are they large or smaller then most other PCs? They could be a small race, as you don't seem to have one yet. Also, if you lived entirely on a ship being small is an advantage due to resource constraints.

29. - Top - End - #89

For the crone thing, I wasn't clear. I would normally say that crone with all of its negative connotations doesn't make sense for a social class, except that in this case, it would make sense it would have minor negative impact given that undeath isn't supposed to happen.
    Yeah. Plus, "Crones" have been accorded honored titles in some "matriarchal/feminist" alien species/societies before, I think.

Why not do the Scavvers? I'd like to know what they look like. A player of one would know, and people might loot a dead body and sorta figure it out. Are they large or smaller then most other PCs? They could be a small race, as you don't seem to have one yet. Also, if you lived entirely on a ship being small is an advantage due to resource constraints.
    So, firstly, are we still talking about the aelfar and/or kixians? You never commented on my replies before.

Anyway, appearance... hmm, perhaps Small size, which stems less from their height (although they are quite short, roughly 5ft at max), but more from their willowy build?

They were basically inspired by the quarians, so, by default, I see them having the same build and limb structure as that race.

Under the suit, soft, purple-pink tinged pale skin dominates. The face is basically that pic I mentioned way back; three flattened back-swept horns crowning the temples and forehead, upside-down teardrop ears, black sclera, small, flattish nose with large nostrils.

Basically, if a female scavver took off her helmet, I was figuring that this is the face you'd see staring back at you:

I'm open to redesigning if need be, but since this isn't the official face of the quarians in Mass Effect, I was hoping it could be gotten away with.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Over all, other then the issue of if the sub-speices of Kixian are true breeding or not, I think they seem fine. Perhaps the subraces can only interbreed with some help? Since they have bio-tech, that's an easy situation to overcome when in civilized reaches. How do they raise children, anyway?

A question arises if they all live in the same regions or not. A giant bug and a humanoid would be hell for ergonomics, so would they even inhabit the same space ship?

They need a bit more to them, but I think it's a good start.

As for that picture of Tali, I'd ask the creator. It looks like she's got her watermark on the bottom there. I wouldn't just make the Quarians version 2.0. What aspect of the Quarians do you like, and what don't you like?