New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Unseen Heralds [5e] IC

Reylana Kelcerone, Herald of the Veil
    First level Rogue/Seventh level Wizard

Reylana's face scrunches up when she catches Camilla's glance her way. "Yeah...that was kind of part of the deal...Did I forget to mention that?" The final question sound rhetorical, and it's clear she's not waiting for an answer. "I really only have the one thing of value, and I'll keep that. Thanks." She makes her way to the hold where the horses are kept to inspect the area she'll be sleeping, then starts practicing her prestidigitation cantrip in preparation for the morning chores. Maybe if she could clean fast enough with that quick, easy spell, then the others wouldn't have to actually do any sweeping.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Camilla Fairgrove, Herald of Vision
    Level 8 Mystic | Psi Points: 38/44 | Psychic Focus: Mantle of Awe | Conc.:

Camilla frowns at the bunks before deciding to simply get over it and accept her new role and its place in society. A scribe would be happy with such accommodations, a scribe would be excited, and probably a little scared, to have left what ever little town she'd called home all her life and be traveling the world. Cramming her two packs into the locker, she sets her crossbow down on her bed and then perches on the end of it facing the table of mercenaries playing their game. "11 days at sea! But I worry about what might be waiting when we arrive. Is there fighting brewing to the south?" she asks indicating their gear and gesturing back toward the deck.

"I saw the ship was taking on crates of arms and armor as we boarded," she notes to them. Just what were they heading toward? From what little she knew of the Bastard he probably already knew exactly what might be happening and it was just like him to send them in without informing them of any such potential conflict that might erupt underneath them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She'll ask her question and try learn something about what they're heading into.
    Persuasion: (1d20+7)[22]

She'll also use Read Mood to get a read on the mercenaries she'd be spending the next 11 days with.

Read Mood (2 Psi)
    As a bonus action, you learn a one-word summary of the emotional state of up to six creatures you can see, such as happy, confused, afraid, or violent.
    Last edited by Videkus; 2017-09-06 at 05:33 PM.
    LotCS Shun Ling Jun Camilla
    OOC | Doc IC | OOC IC | OOC IC | OOC

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

After introducing wine into the equation, Edric finds that the crew quickly warms to his presence and doesn't seem to mind the gentle nudges that lead to just the topic he wants to hear about:

Almost three weeks ago, The Singing Hydra had come upon the wreck of another Luskan ship as they were heading towards Faerun from Maztica. Nobody expected that bringing in the sole survivor that had clung to driftwood in a desperate attempt at survival onto the ship would lead to the situation they promptly found themselves in. Less than a week later, the Boatswain had for the first time noticed that productivity had taken a steady dive each day, and reported it to the Captain.

The Captain then rounded everyone up on the deck and counted the men. He found that several men had gone missing, and even stranger the newest addition to the crew was missing as well. Nobody had any news about what could have happened to them, but panic began to strike the crew about a potential monster killing people at night. Kript smothered any such thought quickly and efficiently, as he began to search the ship for additional clues into what might be going on. He found no trace of the missing men, and no signs of battle to account for any cloak and dagger killings. Deciding that the culprit must still remain among the crew, the Captain began to interogate every crewmember in turn.

He knew that there were way too many variables to what could be going on, and so he never took extreme measures in case they would only cause more terror upon the ship that was still over a week away from the nearest port. To turn a long story short, the Captain began to stalk lone crewmembers he had a hunch might be the culprit. It payed off, as he found the monster shedding the appearance of poor Hjald, the cabin boy, the same night after it had killed the cook. It probably intended to poison us all the next day during mess, but the creature was attacked by the Captain just as it began to devour flesh bone and clothes from the dead cook.

''We all awoke to an unearthly screech that burst every window aboard the ship and killed the ship cat and every mouse as their heads burst like overripe fruit. When we ran to the lower hold, we found the beast being pummeled into the decking with the heel of the Captain's boot as blood flowed out of his eyes and ears. It took three men to drag the determined bastard away from that damned thing as we closed it in that cage. After a near breakout when it woke up, the Captain modified the whole thing with the help of the chaplain to keep it properly secure. That's about it''

Camilla
    One of the Mercenaries throws his cards on the table and folds, turning his attention to Camilla. An attempt at a friendly smile appears on the man's face as he speaks. ''Just an upgrade in security one could say. Even guards can benefit from the knowhow of outsiders nowadays, and having someone around that actually knows how to fight raises morale I hear. And it doesn't hurt to have something that bites a little deeper than a rusty sword too.''

Spoiler: Moods
    Show
    Their moods are a mix between: Irritation, Curiosity, Boredom

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Edric Lancaster, Herald of the Shackle

"What an awful ordeal", Edric says, shaking his head. He pours some more wine to the fellow who had just finished his story. "Well, your security measures seemed to be more than enough to keep the monster in check. Though...Does your captain have some plans for the creature,since you didn't just chop its head off?"

The security measures indeed seemed adequate. But still, having a shapeshifting monstrosity onboard was somewhat unnerving. If it got loose, catching it could be difficult, especially if it refrained from eating too many crewmembers. And what if there was more than one...

Edric decides not to worry about himself about the issue. If people started disappearing, then it would be time to get worried. And even if there were more than one creature, surely the other one would have abandoned the ship at Luskan.

Whatever the sailor answers, Edric keeps smiling and laughing, and at some point, brings out his dice, and suggests a few friendly rounds.

Spoiler: Gambling
    Show
    Edric has proficiency with dice, though I'm not sure what stat they're supposed to use.

Here's a basic d20 + prof. bonus: (d20+3)[10]

Edric will at most spend 5 silver at dicing (I don't imagine the sailors would have that much extra money to spare).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

''Sorry, sir. But you'll have to ask him yourself. Never cared for that creature, and I'd prefer it if someone put a knife through it's skull in all honesty. Whatever we're doing with it, must be why we are taking a stop at Waterdeep I reckon.''

The Sailors quickly return to work as they prepare to set off. In fact, other than the mercs you find that everyone else is working at the moment and is quickly reprimanded for bantering away.

Show
    Due to this you are not capable of doing any gambling for the moment.

6. - Top - End - #246

Camilla breathes a genuine sigh of relief. "Well that's somewhat of a relief I guess. War *is* good for business though," she remarks thinking about it a moment before adding. "Though the risk that comes with it isn't something we can afford so early on."

"Could be good for imports though, even the rumor of danger has people stocking up on essentials,"
    she smiles guiltily. "I'm Camilla. Merchant's scribe," she introduces herself writing in the air with one hand.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

Camilla: Most of the men simply introduce themselves with their first names while still focusing on the game at hand and their own small talk between each other. ''Olly'' Says a young man with a buckler and a shortsword at his back.

''Faux'' continues a gruffer man with a short black beard and a pair of swords at his hip.

''Hort, or Hurt if you so wish'' smiles another man just past his prime with a nasty scar covering most of his forehead.

The fourth man sighs while some of the others give a light chuckle ''Kalimdoran von Wealdath'' says the clearly elven man as he proceeds to win the pot on the table, shaking his head at what must be an internal joke within the group.

Last answers the man who folded not long ago. A man with some nobility to his features. He is without a doubt the only one among the group who has taken his time to look presentable. ''Janus. The leader of this branch of our company, the Proud Fox'' he says with some pride clearly mixed into his voice as he straightens his posture upon it's mention. ''War never ends I'm afraid, but we do what we can to make sure the right people win when possible. I hope we won't be causing you much trouble during the journey, but we aren't the quiet kind I'm afraid. *Chuckles* I'd ask what takes you south, but I wouldn't blame anyone from wanting to leave this frozen heap of junk called a town...''

As the men introduce themselves and perform some idle chatter, you all feel as the Singing Hydra begins to rock suddenly, as the ship is detached from the moorings. On the deck, the sailors make quick work of the sails as the captain makes a short speech to the crew and any gods that might be watching. You are now at sea, at the mercy of the ocean and its will.
    Last edited by Koris; 2017-09-12 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Having assured herself that the prestidigitation cantrip would, in fact, he useful to the group for their share of the chores, Reylana watches as all the muscular men prep the boat and get it out to sea. Once they have cleared the harbor and things have calmed down, the young mage finds the captain in a moment of downtime. "Captain, something you said has been tickling the back of my skull and I just wanted to see if you could clarify for me. Has the Brotherhood been bothering you? Have they been showing up more?"

Show
    Persuasion roll if needed? (d20+7)[18]

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-09-12 at 06:29 PM.

Show

9. - Top - End - #249

Camilla nods or waves to each of them in turn as they're introduced and freely explains that they had hoped to start a new business in the south. After the lines are cast off and the ship begins to move out of Luskan she excuses herself and heads up on deck to watch the city slowly dwindle away as they moved south.

After a short while watching the horizon bob up and down and making her feel a little queasy, she stumbles back to the hatch leading inside. From what she'd heard it might take a little while before she had her 'sea legs' as they called them, for now she just kept a hand trailing against one of the walls to steady herself should and rogue waves cause her to misjudge her next step. She then goes exploring. Mainly she wanted to see where things were in case there was an emergency, having multiple ways out if things turned bad was high on her list of things to always have ready, and, she admitted to herself, she was still curious about the caged man-creature and wanted to make the captain hadn't just captured someone in Luskan to sell in Watedeep.

Show
    Camilla just wants to have the layout of the ship properly memorized in her head and possible ways out (windows/hatches) if things go wrong.

Should she find where the caged man is being held, and if it's in a place where she's not likely to draw attention, she'll do something as a cover (brushing the horses, exercise/stretching, play some dragonchess against herself) while actually focusing on the prisoner and using Ransack Mind.

Ransack Mind (5 Psi) DC 16 Int Save x3
    While you concentrate on this ability, you probe one creature's mind. The creature must remain within 30 feet of you, and you must be able to see it. If you reach the ability's full duration, the target must make three Intelligence saving throws, and you learn information from it based on the number of saving throws it fails. With one failed saving throw, you learn its key memories from the past 12 hours. With two failed saving throws, you learn its key memories from the past 24 hours. With three failed saving throws, you learn its key memories from the past 48 hours.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Edric shares the sailor's story with the rest of the party. He too was curious about the creature.

If the captain is interested in sharing a bottle of wine or playing a game of dice on some evening, Edric tries to innocuously bring up the creature, and ask more about, namely why they didn't behead it on spot and be done with it.
    Last edited by Majin; 2017-09-13 at 01:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Camilla is quickly barred from further entry near the creature by a couple of sentries keeping a close watch on it. Closed within the deepest hold of the ship, curtains have been set up around it and the guards to ward off any curious eyes. ''Please turn back, Miss. The Captain has given us strict instuctions to keep you safe from this thing. Unless he clears it with me, you can't pass. No offense intended, Miss. Just doing my job.''

Edric finds the Captain a few hours into the evening, finding that he is quite busy, but also not rude enough to decline a fair offer of good wine. While sharing stories of grand sailor adventures, he seems to shift his tone quickly at the very mention of the creature. ''Sometimes fate is a bastard, bringing you nothing but pain and the death of your friends. But just because rage finds itself rooted to your heart, you can't let it take over your sense of decency. This creature did something that could only be told in a horrific wives tale. We need to illuminate the world of their kind, so that what happened to us doesn't happen to any other crew. Death is a mercy to it right now, and I'm not intending to give it any. May the arcanists tear it appart on the surgical table, examining every part of it's still living anatomy as it tries to scream in pain. Only to find that It has nothing to carry its voice anymore'' the Captain says with a scowl on his face before finishing his drink in one quick sweep, refilling his glass with another round of wine''

12. - Top - End - #252

Camilla offers the man an innocent smile and holds up her hands to show she meant nothing of it. "Just exploring my home for the next while. Worry not, I'll keep clear," she assures him as she turns around and continues exploring the rest of the ship before she heads back up on deck.

Over the course of the next few days she uses her free time to relax, basking in the sun when allowed to laze around the deck and doing her fair share of manual labour. After climbing a mountain, scrubbing decks wasn't as big of an ordeal as she'd originally feared. Some nights she joins the mercenaries at their card game, while others she spends listening to wild tales from some of the other sailors. At one point of relatively calm seas she unpacks her dragonchess set and attempts to have a few games with the other members of their little merchant group and anyone else willing to play. Should anyone express interest in that fact that she's a scribe, she'll offer to pen them a letter, should they desire, on some of the fine paper she has with her for only five silver a sheet. She doesn't venture back down to where the caged man-creature was held for the rest of the trip.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Inside, Edric smiles at the captain's choice of words. Fate indeed was a bastard.

"I see, I see. I suppose a quick death would be too lenient a punishment, for such heinous acts. I have to say, that was rather poetic.
    The world has lost a philosopher in you"
    , Edric says, emptying his own glass as well. Say what you will about Luskans, at least they sold decent wine for a reasonable price. Or perhaps his standards had lowered, having had a lifestyle like this for such a long time. Disconcerting thoughts.

After they've emptied. "Well then,
    I shall leave you to your duties, captain."

Foe the remainder of the trip, besides grudgingly doing his chores (unless Reylana's cantrip takes care of them), Edric will spend some time with the mercenaries, trying to get a feel on the active conflicts.

Show
    Insight about the captain's tale:
    (d20)[8]

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Reylana:

The Captain cups his chin and seems to ponder something, then slowly shakes his head to either side ''Sorry, Miss. But I'm afraid I've never encountered them. Nor heard much more than rumor as a matter of fact. What worries you?''

Edric:

While not sure about the validity of the story being told to him, it sounds quite believable.

Drinking and gambling with the mercs reveals that they seem to have a friendly attitude towards each other, while staying at a polite distance from the rest of the crew. All of them seem wary of Edric though, for whatever reason. And while he is around they reduce the amount of talk at the table. From what Edric can gather, it all started with Hort bumping into him after a night of drinking, turning to look at Edric with a suspicious look before apologizing and walking away.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Reylana momentarily looks surprised at the captain's denial of the Brotherhood. She opens her mouth to say something, then closes it again. After a few moments she finally says, "I've just heard that they are causing problems is all. Wanted to make sure they wouldn't be any trouble."

Show
    Insight roll to see if he's covering something up: (d20+5)[6] It's odd Reylana almost got shot when first boarding in case she was an assassin for the brotherhood and now he's denying knowing more than passing information on them, so she's highly suspeicious at this time.

EDIT:
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-09-15 at 10:23 AM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

The Captain shrugs his broad shoulders and leans against the railing of the ship, as the sun stands yet occasionally covered by heavy clouds. ''I can't tell you much about them. I met an assassin sent by them, but he himself knew very little. I presume the reason they were interested in my death was due perhaps with my trade with Waterdeep. I'm sadly not the kind to follow up much on the rumour I hear, nor follow them blindly. Whatever their dealings are, we are far enough away that they should pose little problem to us. And I'll make sure not to head to Luskan again unless forced to like I was by the circumstances.''

''If you are who you say you are'' He turns to Reylana ''You are unlikely to draw their gaze, yet if you have ever dealt with them I'm sure you would know more than I could ever warn you about.'' his eyes show no deception or ill intent within them as far as Reylana can tell. His confidence in the face of such a powerfull organization is slightly disarming to her, to the point where she can't get past the judging eyes that stare back at her.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Reylana pauses for a moment. In a flash, she recalls all the times she's found her footing yanked out from under her. Metaphorically, of course, not physically like some of the waves had been doing. Between The Bastard, Kiara, and now Captain Kript she began wondering if maybe she wasn't as good in dealing with people as she had thought she was. "I...no. I swear to you.
    We're heading to Scornubel to set up a trading warehouse. Why would you say something like that? Who else would I be?"

Show
    I don't think I need to roll deception on that do I? It is 100% the truth. Since I am technically withholding information, I'll roll it and let you decide if it's needed. Probably a bad idea with the way I've been rolling: Deception: (d20+10)[14]

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Krip raises an eyebrow for a moment, but shrugs any suspicion off and looks back out towards the rolling seas. ''Hard to trust people these days is all. One day you think you know somebody, next they turn out to be something much more sinister. I hope you don't have to deal with that as much on the mainland.'' The Captain stops leaning on the railing and straightens his coat. He tips his hat and begins to head back to his duties

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

The journey moves on quite peacefully in retrospect. While having a muzzled creature in the bowels of the ship might be an ominous event that would perhaps spell disaster while travelling the open seas. It turns out that the sailors on the Singing Hydra are quite adept at their craft. They steer clear of any suspicous ships and enviromental effects while keeping a good eye on their crew for any signs of distress. While the acomodations aren't luxurious, they are nothing to complain about given the speed of the journey.

Eleven days pass by like nothing, and it is midday with only light clouds as you arrive on the 8th of Alturiak to the docks of Waterdeep.

As the sailors make their final preparations to dock, you can see that the Singing Hydra will be side to side with an even more impressive ship than this one. The front of the ship has a Dragon skull as its figurehead. A pearl white hull, with sails to match. And the entire ship is currently being cleaned by dozens of levitating brushes that swab away the grime and bird **** that has acumulated during the fine vessels latest journey. A closer inspection leads the group to see that there is a tablet at the back of the ship with a name.

Fury of Dawn

Near the docks that you will anchor upon, you spot two figures waiting. Obviously waiting for your ship to tie up. Looking back upon the white ship, you can see that some of the crew have gathered to look at your approach.
    Show

Yes, this is where the new players are introduced. Those upon the Singing Hydra can react as they wish, and those waiting can describe what the players see and how perhaps you interact with your associate

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Reylana watched the shore go by for several days. The sea had always made her feel at peace...one of the few things in the world that made her feel insignificant. The sea didn't care if you were a pauper or king, a warrior or wizard, a person or beast. The sea did what the sea did. The days seemed to go by extremely quickly. She found herself picking up extra chores, trying to make the trip easier on the others since it was her poor negotiation skills that landed them there. The mindlessness of the chores helped her to pass the time, and reading the bawdy thoughts of the sailors from her journal helped to amuse her the rest of the time.

Several times per day Reylana checked in with the other heralds, making sure they're doing okay or if they'd heard of anything else strange. The story of the captain's single-handed manhunt of the creature was worrisome to Reylana. Did they truly catch the fiend, or did he consume the captain first? Is the evil creature still free? A cleric would sure come in handy to be able to determine where the evil lay on the ship. Well, they were about to harbor and they were all still breathing. That's one point in their favor.

The young wizard watches their docking with the same level of awe as she watched the departure. The way the crew worked together was like watching the forces of energy being weaved together by a Master Creator. As they tie off, Reylana notices all the eyes watching the ship. "Fury of Dawn," she mutters to herself, as if speaking it aloud will help her to recall anything she knew about the ship. She warily watches the two different groups of people watching their ship.

Show
    History check to recall anything on the name of the ship: (d20+11)[31]
    Investigation check to see anything unusual about the two different groups: (d20+5)[23]

Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uskoth of the Astrica Bulwark
    Level 8 Sorcerer | Stone Sorcery | Current Guise: Unglamored | Conc.: None

'They'll arrive on the Fury of the Dawn. Its unmistakable. Garish, draconic figurehead carved from drakes.'

Sleek lines of ancient elven design. Dense, solid ivory of weathered dragonbone.That vessel matches the description.
    With a slight, inward hiss, Uskoth rose from his crouch to his full height. He had been idle in Waterdeep for days and had grown restless. There was much work to be done, and he found it irritating to be so reliant on the schedule of others. It was a sensation he knew he would have to grow used to. He would have new orders soon, and there was a certain excitement he felt when given a new task.

Ensuring that his rough burlap trousers were 'properly' cinched around his waist and the straps of his pack were taut across his broad, stone-scaled chest, he glanced over at his companion, a less horrifying sight, to be sure. He hadn't really asked what specifically Erin had been sent to do. Nor did he consider it as important as his own task, granted by the Bastard himself. She was probably meant to slit throats and sing praises. It was important work, yes, but not stimulating. Whatever her task was, their paths had crossed here, and he knew enough to know they would be spending more time together.

He had been silent for quite some time, and was suddenly conscious of it. More accurately, he was conscious of the effect long, 'awkward' silences had on certain people. When waiting, as they were, he knew it was common to, as the halflings put it, lighten the mood.

"So, the plan. Introduce yourself. Then me, as your concubine." He punctuated this suggestion with a dry, practiced guffaw. He had not come up with the joke, but many had laughed when he first heard it. It was funny, apparently.

22. - Top - End - #262

Erin Vance, Ear of the Mountain
    Level 8 Bard | Bardic Inspiration: 5/5

'They'll arrive on the Fury of the Dawn. Its unmistakable. Garish, draconic figurehead carved from drakes.'
    Well, that's it all right. Garish, check. Draconic? Check. It all seems to be there.
    (Blegh, wrong ship)

Beside her, Erin's companion of the last few days decided to rise to his feet. Despite his monstrous appearances, he seemed to be rather kind, in the grand scheme of things, though he did seem quick to decide on things.

For the past 3 or so days, she had been waiting in Waterdeep, per the Bastard's orders. She grew weary of the various inns, taverns, pubs, and bars, and based upon her findings elsewhere, the city was rife with scum of the lowest sort. She was happy to have something to do, anything that wasn't trying to find ways to waste time. Lately she had taken to reading, but there were only so many libraries in the city with books worth her time.

For several minutes, Erin simply let her mind wander, keeping herself to no particular train of thought. Rather suddenly, her companion of the last few days opened his mouth to speak. "So, the plan. Introduce yourself. Then me, as your concubine."

Despite her best efforts, a small giggle escapes Erin's mouth. Followed by a chuckle. Which is, in turn, proceeded by outright laughter. "Well then, either you've got a better sense of humor than I thought, or you're terrible at coming up with lies." She says, suppressing another laughing fit.
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-09-20 at 09:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Edric spends the days as pleasantly as possible, though the other passengers mostly aren't what he'd call desirable company. He couldn't even gleam anything off the sellswords, who were surprisingly tight-lipped.

Edric would have liked to learn more about the odd imprisoned creature, but it seemed their journey was coming to an end, and so his curiosity would remain unsated. On the bright side, they'd soon be back on land. It's not like Edric got easily sick or anything, sea travel just wasn't very exciting.

Edric looks at the other ship passing by. That Kiara woman had mentioned something about hunting dragons. Edric himself had liked hunting when he was younger, but deer and boars couldn't breathe fire. He had to admit that a dragon skull figurehead was very grand.
    Last edited by Majin; 2017-09-19 at 10:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

As the Singing Hydra makes its final approach, it lowers the gangplank towards the docks where the two strangers stand. Within moments several sailors jump onto the docks and begin to tie down the ship so it doesn't drift away while the rest of the crew finalizes the docking procedures. Captain Kript moves to the Heralds and thanks them all for a good journey, shaking everyone's hand and giving them a pat on the back as he wishes them good luck in their future endeavors.

The crew help the Heralds lead their horses down onto the docks, and the two groups lock eyes as they only stand a few feet away from each other.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Reylana continues watching the huge ship as they finish docking. As they disembark she tells the captain, "If you should change your destination and decide to head to Baldur's Gate, let us know. We're still looking to get further south. Keep it in mind." She then turns to the other Heralds. "Well, we're going to have to find a place to stay until we can get transport out of here. Edric...if I ask you to do that, do you think you could find something not very expensive? Like...'normal people' not expensive. Not...'not inlaid in gold' not expensive. We have a long ways to go and not a lot of money."

She then turns to the two people on the dock who had been standing there. "Were you waiting for the Singing Hydra? I think you'll find Captain Kript more than amenable to more passengers. Professional crew. I'd rate him five stars out of five...would sail with him again."

Show

26. - Top - End - #266

As the Heralds approach, Erin rises from her seat upon the crate and stands with her legs shoulder width apart, one hand held in the other.

Upon her arrival, Erin listens patiently to Reylana, with a warm smile upon her lips. She then begins to respond. "I'm afraid I've no business with The Singing Hydra, nor it's crew. In fact, I am here for you and your companions. My name is Erin Vance, and I've been sent by our mutual employer to accompany you, as has my counterpart, Uskoth." She says, gesturing towards the large, monstrous Lizardfolk beside her.

She continues; "You may rest assured that we will both be of great value to your mission, and we are both able to take care of ourselves and carry our proverbial weight. I am highly skilled in both mundane and magical healing, and he, the reverse. Should you have any questions, doubts, or concerns, I'm sure either of us would be happy to oblige."
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-09-20 at 10:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Reylana's eyebrow rises skeptically. Did the man have people everywhere that he hadn't told them about? She also failed the introduction procedure of presenting the platinum coin the first time his name was mentioned. She eyes the woman up and down and considers calling her a liar, but glancing at her 'counterpart' causes her to take a moment and reconsider.

"Do you have a place you are staying? As you can see we've just arrived in town, a glass of wine and a quiet place to talk is called for."

Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Raising the coin she had been holding in her clasped hands, she responds. "Yes, of course. I wouldn't mind a glass myself in all truth."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    " Edric...if I ask you to do that, do you think you could find something not very expensive? Like...'normal people' not expensive. Not...'not inlaid in gold' not expensive. We have a long ways to go and not a lot of money."
    "Yes, yes, I do grasp the concept. Seems like we might have to come up with some scheme to earn more."

Edric eyes the people standing on the dock warily. When the woman mentions the Bastard Edric tenses, but relaxes when she presents the right coin.

"Lord Edric Lancaster", Edric says, and gives a small bow, putting his hand on his chest. He eyes the lizardfolk warily. He seemed to be with the woman, so he'd be in the Bastard's service as well. Edric would tolerate him, as long as he behaved anyway.

"Yes, if you know some place to talk, please lead the way."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uskoth of the Astrica Bulwark
    Level 8 Sorcerer | Stone Sorcery | Current Guise: Unglamored | Conc.: None

Uskoth loomed silently next to his companion as the Singing Hydra spewed forward its crew and passengers. He was lost in thought, and somewhat confused. Their intel had been wrong – and the description of the ship. The people before him were clearly the ones they had been meant to meet. This is what happens when I get information from others – if its not from the mouth of the Man himself, its probably wrong. I'll have to have words with that Bryan softskin. . . .

With a flick of his wrist, his own platinum token spiraled into the air, then into his open palm.

“Yes, we know such a place. Follow.”

As the sorcerer led them towards the Mermaid's Arms, he moved with a certain measured determination. Not too slow, but mindful of the length of his strides, careful not to plow into someone and cause a scene where there was no need. For some reason nobody ever gave him the benefit of the doubt in an accident.

The festhall was even louder than it had been during his stay. A few eyes glanced their way as he pushed open the door, but most of the crowd was busy with their own matters. A group of still-damp sailors were bragging loudly about 'that lass Miranea'. Two men bickered over a dice game. There were no open brawls, yet, but the atmosphere was such that one could erupt and nobody would be surprised. Uskoth glanced over his shoulder then waved towards a weathered pine counter.

“There you are. I would recommend 'Skalnaedyr's Spittle' if you're looking for inexpensive and functional.”