New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

This feels like the perfect place to switch to Jillian!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Wasnt it about how Achilles could never beat a turtle in a foot race if the turtle was allowed to start halfway there?
    Zeno write the Achilles one, too. I thought the Homer one is more fitting since it is about splitting a finite distance into a infinite amount of tasks. There is also a third one about an arrow that can not move, since it always occupies an space and is motionless at that instance. That also might work as an analogy for current updates.

I am disappointed with how Erfworld as a whole. 50-60% of texts and comics should be edited out. It feels like a meandering mess. The updates itself are not as good as they used to be. They often get bogged down by magi-speak that is supposed to be clever, but actually is only distracting. It's a far cry from the book 1 comics that were packed with information and meaning. Back then a single panel gave us more to discuss than a entire update today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    This feels like the perfect place to switch to Jillian!
    The plot is about to explode! That means Jillian, Stanley, Trammenis, Unknown view point #1, Ceasar, Wanda, Bill, Ted, Ted's best friend AT MINIMUM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    The plot is about to explode! That means Jillian, Stanley, Trammenis, Unknown view point #1, Ceasar, Wanda, Bill, Ted, Ted's best friend AT MINIMUM.
    You forgot the Bat Legion. They appeared so much recently. It's about time we get a few POVs from them.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Efworld basically fell into a subtle but dangerous mistake.

Too. Many. Characters. At the same time.

The author himself indirectly admited it that in that recent off-topic rant about delays, that when somebody does something important he needs to take in account all of the other characters reactions and that's a lot of work.

You don't say?

First we only had Stanley+Hamster+Ansom+Digdoug+Wanda+Vampire+Jillia n. Meaty, but not overwhelming. There were some other minor named characters but they got limited screen time (Charlie was pretty nice as the background mercenary leader) or plain died (Ansom's sergeant, the cyclops troll, rest his soul).

But then Rob started adding characters left and right and added a pseudo-ressurection artifact on top. He's been slowly writing himself in a mess and by trying to keep them all detailed, the quality just drops.

I had some hope when Charlie just nuked the thinkmancer's temple as retaliation for killing his brand new mancers, but of course nope, they all came back right away.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Double post sorry.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2017-12-28 at 04:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    You know, Efworld basically fell into a subtle but dangerous mistake.

Too. Many. Characters. At the same time.

The author himself indirectly admited it that in that recent off-topic rant about delays, that when somebody does something important he needs to take in account all of the other characters reactions and that's a lot of work.

You don't say?
    I actually slightly disagree. He didn't fell into a subtle but dangerous mistake. He dug the hole, then threw himself in with abandon.

Error #1: Too many characters. Yeah; I agree fully.
    Error #2: Lack of focus. Rob DOESN'T have to tell us, what each pawn in the game of chess thinks about his spear or severe lack of chocolate fudge. It's artist prerogative to show us only relevant parts.
    Error #3: Tell, tell, tell, tell, tell. What's especially galling is instead of showing how stuff happens, we get told what each of them is thinking. In Book 1 there was very little details about what Character X was thinking, but it worked so, so, so much better.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Error #2: Lack of focus. Rob DOESN'T have to tell us, what each pawn in the game of chess thinks about his spear or severe lack of chocolate fudge. It's artist prerogative to show us only relevant parts.
    I'm not sure. Erfworld is an alien world populated with puppet characters. Getting into the head of those simple soldiers or a caster from a different speciality was illuminating. As long as we only got external views of these characters and Parson's observations of them we couldn't be sure what made them tick. Though spreading the POVs all over was hardly necessary.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I'm not sure. Erfworld is an alien world populated with puppet characters. Getting into the head of those simple soldiers or a caster from a different speciality was illuminating. As long as we only got external views of these characters and Parson's observations of them we couldn't be sure what made them tick. Though spreading the POVs all over was hardly necessary.
    It's never necessary. You could have made Parson a quasi caster and thus able to link up, then explain the concepts in a linkup. Having an audience surrogate character is great, especially because when you explain to him, you explain to the audience, so he and audience are in sync. Right now, we know more than Parson does, so after they explain to us, they need to have a scene, they explain that stuff to Parson (hopefully offscreen).

And sure, one soldier would be interesting to see a perspective, but a whole boatload is just tediously slow.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

It's never necessary. You could have made Parson a quasi caster and thus able to link up, then explain the concepts in a linkup. Having an audience surrogate character is great, especially because when you explain to him, you explain to the audience, so he and audience are in sync. Right now, we know more than Parson does, so after they explain to us, they need to have a scene, they explain that stuff to Parson (hopefully offscreen).

And sure, one soldier would be interesting to see a perspective, but a whole boatload is just tediously slow.
    I meant we and Parson aren't sure how human these Erfworlder really are or whether they have a will of their own and similar questions. They seem to be but maybe they're just well made puppets. Just because they pass some Turing tests doesn't mean there's something meaningful inside them. Getting a simple spear-bearer's POV or an archer's, freshly popped proves it. Seeing how the world looks from the eyes of royalty and various magicians adds to the picture. But I agree Rob made a mistake turning them into a legion of full-time POV characters.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant we and Parson aren't sure how human these Erfworlder really are or whether they have a will of their own and similar questions. They seem to be but maybe they're just well made puppets.
    I think, they established their non-puppet nature as far as Book 1. We see them, love, bleed and die. Even Parson mourns Misty, and is angry at the (Erf)world, for being so cruel.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Error #1: Too many characters. Yeah; I agree fully.
    Error #3: Tell, tell, tell, tell, tell. What's especially galling is instead of showing how stuff happens, we get told what each of them is thinking. In Book 1 there was very little details about what Character X was thinking, but it worked so, so, so much better.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with having a lot of characters. Or using a minor character as a point-of-view character. Or with writing through a character's thought process.

The issue here (with since Book 3) is that Rob isn't using these tools to tell the story effectively.

Normally, if you have multiple characters in a scene you write it once, with a single point-of-view character. Typically, this is the character with the most to learn (so the audience can learn alongside them) or the most to lose (so the audience can empathize with their tension) in the scene. Other characters are acknowledged through the observations of, or interactions with, the PoV character. Bits of character thought processing can be good too, especially in conjunction with observation; coming to a conclusion from something you see happening isn't particularly active, but it's far less passive than simply seeing something happen. Of course, it's even better if the character then acts on the new conclusion, in the same scene.

Similarly, using a minor character for point-of-view is a perfectly valid approach if the major characters in the scene have nothing to learn and nothing to lose from it. My personal preference in such situations is to look long and hard at whether the scene needs to exist in the first place, but occasionally there's a use for it; and in such cases it's better to have an interesting scene with a minor/new PoV character than a boring scene with a major PoV character.

...like those in the the Jack-PoV update prior to this one. The major change was the reveal (to Parson's allies) of Roger working with Vanna against Parson...which was entirely subsumed with the most recent Maggie-PoV update, since Maggie was also there when it happened and Maggie's scene continues after said reveal. Almost like Rob couldn't decide how to handle the key sequence effectively, chose to write it twice instead of making a decision, and then padded out each update with extra introspective scenes for...some reason?

Not to say there was nothing else of interest in Jack's thinking, there was. But is this the time for it? That amount of extraneous detail is better suited for relieving tension...and since the audience already knew there's a ploy in action against Parson, this should a time for building tension instead.

Plot explosions and tension killers; that's not the plot exploding, that's exploding the plot. Hmm...well we were talking about thread titles earlier, so why not?

"Erfworld Thread XI: That's Not the Plot Exploding, That's Exploding the Plot"
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-12-29 at 03:15 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

I honestly suspect it's just easier to write a bunch of filler than it is to write a satisfying story, and Rob just doesn't really know what he wants to do with his own story any more. He's likely treading water because he needs that sweet update money to keep the comic afloat, so he has to push out something, even if it's low quality and doesn't progress the story at all.

It's not that I think he's intentionally writing a bad story because he's lazy or something...it just seems like he doesn't know how to get the story to where it needs to be, and so he keeps pushing these meaningless updates in the meantime where the plot doesn't really move.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-12-29 at 12:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I honestly suspect it's just easier to write a bunch of filler than it is to write a satisfying story, and Rob just doesn't really know what he wants to do with his own story any more. He's likely treading water because he needs that sweet update money to keep the comic afloat, so he has to push out something, even if it's low quality and doesn't progress the story at all.

It's not that I think he's intentionally writing a bad story because he's lazy or something...it just seems like he doesn't know how to get the story to where it needs to be, and so he keeps pushing these meaningless updates in the meantime where the plot doesn't really move.
    At the high level...I think these days, Rob enjoys the worldbuilding more than he does the story he's presumably trying to tell. We've been getting a lot of details about how casters perceive the world by discipline, how casters organize themselves by discipline in the Magic Kingdom, leaders of those caster organizations, politics between those caster organizations....The content of many of these updates could easily pass as vignettes in a Magic Kingdom supplement for an Erfworld RPG, and conceivably pull more weight than they do as scenes in a story.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with having a lot of characters. Or using a minor character as a point-of-view character. Or with writing through a character's thought process.

The issue here (with since Book 3) is that Rob isn't using these tools to tell the story effectively.
    I'd say in general case, there isn't a problem with it too many characters. But the way Rob writes them, he wants to tell us, what each of them is thinking/knows, at each moment, so we know why they acted that way. The problem is of course, DON'T do that, let the audience figure out their motivation and thoughts, from their action.

Similarly, using a minor character for point-of-view is a perfectly valid approach if the major characters in the scene have nothing to learn and nothing to lose from it. My personal preference in such situations is to look long and hard at whether the scene needs to exist in the first place, but occasionally there's a use for it;
    Yeah, you're right. But in Erfworld, we get a lot of the Dwagons are going to descend upon town of Gooblygook; here is what Mook#4 is thinking few seconds before they start their descent... It's is done.

Instead of fiery crescendo, we get Mook#4 is thinking, because WE NEEDED THAT.

I was kinda getting to that in error#3, Rob, likes to tell us in detailed, repetitive fashion what each pawn is thinking.

I'm gonna park my vote here (for time being)

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Plot explosions and tension killers; that's not the plot exploding, that's exploding the plot. Hmm...well we were talking about thread titles earlier, so why not?

I agree with the suggestion and everything else you wrote.

I meant we and Parson aren't sure how human these Erfworlder really are or whether they have a will of their own and similar questions. They seem to be but maybe they're just well made puppets. Just because they pass some Turing tests doesn't mean there's something meaningful inside them. Getting a simple spear-bearer's POV or an archer's, freshly popped proves it. Seeing how the world looks from the eyes of royalty and various magicians adds to the picture. But I agree Rob made a mistake turning them into a legion of full-time POV characters.
    It used to be enlightened. The text updates about Wrigley and his spear were interesting, and made a nice little arc. It showed the thinking of a simple infantrist, expanded the world, and also gave insight were Stanley, a major supporting character came from. Nothing of that can be found in the last update. It's no new information or insight about characters or world we get. The thinkamancer thought r´trees had been mentioned a lot of times before, and it gets old.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Stanley, a major supporting character
    Wait, since when is Stanley The Tool a supporting character? He's the boss of half the protagonists, he got an huge royal coalition aiming for his head, he's attunned to an arkentool and isn't afraid to use it. He's the first target of Jillian's hatred, the only character who ever defeated Caesar (aka the dude who's been known for capturing cities by himself). He was the first to properly communicate with the first sentient city in Erfworld, he charmed the juggle elves, he leads the one and only freaking dwagon fleet in Erfworld while rocking out, and he's aiming at nothing less than conquering everything. If that doesn't qualify him as one of the main protagonist too, what does?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

The thing is, basically, what matters in the comic is how he interacts with Parson. This isn't the story of Stanley doing all those things... he's there, and he does things, but those aren't the focus of the story. For instance, in the first book, Stanley heading to FAQ mattered because of how it affected Parson - the story of him getting there didn't really matter in and of itself. OR, more recently, sure, him getting the Juggle Elves was important storywise, and gave him some time to shine, but it was a side event, and could have been, theoretically, done offscreen, without affecting the narrative.

And that's the important thing. For a protagonist, if you don't see their parts of the story... you don't really have a story anymore. Supporting characters enhance when used properly, but they could theoretically have no focus attributed to them.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

19. - Top - End - #499

RedWizardGuy

20. - Top - End - #500

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson's feet are connected to a base, as if he is pawn (a pawn only in the link-up? Or a pawn in Erfworld?). Also, Parson's crotch is covered by a word balloon, I think no crotches were covered in earlier link-ups.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Well, something finally happened. Guess Parson is going to get a new pair of shoes after all.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-12-30 at 05:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Well, something finally happened. Guess Parson is going to get a new pair of shoes after all.
    Eh. Maybe. If he does leave Erfworld, shoes would be his only way back. But Judy isn't from regular Parson!Earth.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-12-30 at 06:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Spamalot in the Playground

Well that didn't go quite as I expected. So... is this gonna be like 8 Simple Rules after John Ritter's gone?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, they summoned him once, now just need to summon him again.

Notice however the bracer was not left behind. So if Hamster still has it in stupidworld, that will be pretty handy.

Meanwhile:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    The thing is, basically, what matters in the comic is how he interacts with Parson. This isn't the story of Stanley doing all those things... he's there, and he does things, but those aren't the focus of the story. For instance, in the first book, Stanley heading to FAQ mattered because of how it affected Parson - the story of him getting there didn't really matter in and of itself. OR, more recently, sure, him getting the Juggle Elves was important storywise, and gave him some time to shine, but it was a side event, and could have been, theoretically, done offscreen, without affecting the narrative.
    "Now think. I want a guy who's commanded all different kinds of battles. I want him to be obsessed with war. Somebody who plans wars and kills his foes for fun. I want a guy who snacks on gwiffons and eats marbits for BREAKFAST! And I know the spell will bind him to serve me, but I don't want a morale case. Get me somebody who actually wants to be summoned."

That's honestly the page that really sold me Erfworld. And Stanley. Hamster only got summoned in the first place because Stanley added all those extra clauses, otherwise Wanda may've just summoned generic super general #187.

And everything Hamster has done or plans to do must cover the clause of "Keep Stanley alive". Because Stanley refuses to get an heir. Because he's the motherf******* Stanley, the only leader in Erfworld that realizes heirs are pretty much more trouble than they're worth (besides Charlie but he's a cheater), and you don't need them anyway if you're playing to win instead of just trying to keep the status quo.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2017-12-30 at 07:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, something finally happened.
    Uhm I think we agreed to hide massive spoilers like that?

But snarking aside, I like that it goes forward. I liked the page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson going back to Earth was expected, it had to happen. It gives a way to retrieve the Arkenshoes, and cuts the thread of eternal service to Stanley. Very bad for the later, since it means he is much more disposable. He could resummon him, but with the block to the Magic Kingdom that is unlikely. And the Arkenshoes give you the power to go where you belong. I think we all expected this to happen since we read those lines.
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if the next few updates will be about a civil war between Bill, the dolls & Vanna and Ceasar's few brave men bats or Parson and his former rpg palls.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder if the next few updates will be about a civil war between Bill, the dolls & Vanna and Ceasar's few brave men bats or Parson and his former rpg palls.
    Parson's apartment has been rented out to some other poor schlub. Parson shows up in the bathtub. Hilarity ensues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    Can someone just squash Vanna already? She's somehow more insufferable than Jillian.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Show
    Can someone just squash Vanna already? She's somehow more insufferable than Jillian.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Caesar just did, that's what Shirley is complaining about.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay... I am currently confused as to what just happened.