New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Giving Charlescomm a awakened Tower strikes me as a terrible idea.
    Especially since we already know they don't reallly take orders like regular Golems do.
    Oh well, maybe they are lucky and it will help them against Charles.
    Only to take the City for itself.
    Erfworld would get ist own Skynet.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

This page could be shortened, no doubt, but it's got some interesting ideas. Charlie as the main threat seems less and less likely. I'm guessing he'll become irrelevant in short order and the new opponent will be Charlescomm Tower/Gate. Which sounds interesting.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    This page could be shortened, no doubt, but it's got some interesting ideas. Charlie as the main threat seems less and less likely. I'm guessing he'll become irrelevant in short order and the new opponent will be Charlescomm Tower/Gate. Which sounds interesting.
    Wat.

That's terrible writing. That's like saying we set up this fight between a hero and Mastermind villain, only the villain has been defeated by his sentient house, so now the hero fight the sentient house.

Charlie has been set as Mastermind villain, having him defeated by a tower would be... Stupid. I suspect you are 100% right.

Why can't they just call a Carny and mindwipe him/her afterwards? Have Isaac call Parson, sort the ****ing Roger issue... And Carny yourself a suit of armor.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Wat.

That's terrible writing. That's like saying we set up this fight between a hero and Mastermind villain, only the villain has been defeated by his sentient house, so now the hero fight the sentient house.

Charlie has been set as Mastermind villain, having him defeated by a tower would be... Stupid. I suspect you are 100% right.

Why can't they just call a Carny and mindwipe him/her afterwards? Have Isaac call Parson, sort the ****ing Roger issue... And Carny yourself a suit of armor.
    Charlie was set as Mastermind villain... kinda. What has he really done since the battle over Spacerock? He doesn't feel like the Mastermind villain.

An inhuman opponent is problematic of course but this direction can easily streamline the story. Overpowered Thinkamancers wiped by turn's end, pathetic villain/opponent Charlie replaced, widespread ignoring of protagonist and his side (by the other kindgoms and casters) stop at the appearance of the new threat, eldrich abomination added. It's not the story we started with but it could be a solid RPG game story.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Spamalot in the Playground

I found myself skipping texts on this one. Dunno if I'd be on board with a sentient comm tower. I guess Jed needed a worthy opponent. Dunno.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I dont really think Jed is active enough to need that. Or that a sentinent com tower would do to much on its own.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    . Kinda whish they'd stop pretending there's still tensiopn and finish this.
    I agree with most of what you said but sooooooo much with this.

Get on with it!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wouldn't say that the problem is a lack of tension- although there isn't very much of it at this point.
    My problem with Erfworld is that there is a interesting story, that there could be actual tension, but the countless meandering plot-lines are drying it up.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Charlie was set as Mastermind villain... kinda. What has he really done since the battle over Spacerock? He doesn't feel like the Mastermind villain.

An inhuman opponent is problematic of course but this direction can easily streamline the story. Overpowered Thinkamancers wiped by turn's end, pathetic villain/opponent Charlie replaced, widespread ignoring of protagonist and his side (by the other kindgoms and casters) stop at the appearance of the new threat, eldrich abomination added. It's not the story we started with but it could be a solid RPG game story.
    He was set up as a villain only Parson could defeat. A person who could only be mentally matched by Parson.

If Erfworld maybe setup itself earlier as a sort of twisty/meta-narrative style of story, that might work. But we already know Parson is Fated to defeat Charlie, and not some Skynet wannabe. While going off the beaten path, might sound interesting, it would require another 300 comics.

Solid RPG game story, is in my opinion still a ****ty story, since RNG and dice rolls have sooo much influence over everything. Your low powered companion just managed to crit and kill the Slayer sent to destroy you with a weapon he barely knows how to hold.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-01 at 04:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

This was mostly about how a dollamancer would experience deiIsaac in a link. It was a pleasant enough read, but most of it didn't advance the plot much.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I found myself skipping texts on this one. Dunno if I'd be on board with a sentient comm tower. I guess Jed needed a worthy opponent. Dunno.
    There wasn't anything in the update about a sentient com tower. There was talk about possibly making CC's portal sentient, though, and a brief mention of Jed. If you want to know what's in the update, it's best to read it.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-01 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-10 at 03:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

It really was a very interesting read, giving us a much greater insight into both Claud gauntlet and the Isac collective. And honestly, i will pick a good read over boring plot advancement any day of the week.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Wat.

I think Charlie is ultimately small potatoes in the grand scheme of the Fate/bring peace to Erfworld plot.

It's just that we've been on this subplot for a decade so it feels like the main story.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-10 at 03:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    This was mostly about how a dollamancer would experience deiIsaac in a link. It was a pleasant enough read, but most of it didn't advance the plot much.

There wasn't anything in the update about a sentient com tower. There was talk about possibly making CC's portal sentient, though, and a brief mention of Jed. If you want to know what's in the update, it's best to read it.
    The Isaac-Entity did compare it to Parson's cheat though, in a way that implies they will do the same there.
    So assuming that CC's tower will get a A.I. too kinda makes sense.

Besides, is the Portal even a distinct, independent structure?
    I was kinda under the impression it was part of the Tower itself.
    Considering Jed can provide Maggie with Juice it seems to have at least some access if we take recent revelations into account.
    So awakening the Portal might very well have a influence on the greater superstructure it is part of.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

They are accessing the portal column from under the MK, so I'm not sure it's really located in CC's tower.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-10 at 03:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

He was set up as a villain only Parson could defeat. A person who could only be mentally matched by Parson.

If Erfworld maybe setup itself earlier as a sort of twisty/meta-narrative style of story, that might work. But we already know Parson is Fated to defeat Charlie, and not some Skynet wannabe. While going off the beaten path, might sound interesting, it would require another 300 comics.

Solid RPG game story, is in my opinion still a ****ty story, since RNG and dice rolls have sooo much influence over everything. Your low powered companion just managed to crit and kill the Slayer sent to destroy you with a weapon he barely knows how to hold.
    We do indeed know that Parsn is fated to kill Charlie, so isn't it more interesting to put him up against a threat that - we do not know otherwise - he is not fated to defeat. It also shakes up the fate if he is still going to kill Charlie who is no longer threat.

In this bok Charlie has already been resolutely defeated at every turn. I had been thinking that the book would end on him scoring a spectacular victory, but I'm thinking that it might end up with losing his dsh, tower and archons instead.

My guess is that just like this book brgan with Jed its going to end with CharCom Tower. No guesses with what the Jillian/Marie will be, and I'm still intruiged.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

They are accessing the portal column from under the MK, so I'm not sure it's really located in CC's tower.
    Is it too much to hope that because they're accessing the MK's portals they'll accidentally make all the portals in the MK self-aware? We know the system don't like being broken as we see with Claud's dislike of so much cheating and that could be read as hostility to Charlie when they awaken the MK portals.

That way we no longer have portal hacking and we'll begin to detangle this mess by losing instant travel and capital city jumping/rushing.
    Last edited by Darkspear; 2017-07-02 at 08:50 AM.
    quo nemo sequi potest

19. - Top - End - #139
    Spamalot in the Playground

I know there's nothing in the update about a sentient comm tower. I was musing over a comment someone else said earlier about the idea of Charlie getting his own sentient comm tower.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2017-07-02 at 01:18 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

What does a sentient portal even mean?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

What does a sentient portal even mean?
    I imagine it will be explained if and when it happens.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I imagine it will be explained if and when it happens.
    That might take a while.
    Aren't we due a scene change?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

In Soviet Russia, the Portals think with themselves?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

What if due to charlie being hooked into the tower, it means that he...becomes the tower...like a GlaDos type thing. He's currently in GlaDos' potato form, after all.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-10 at 03:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    In Soviet Russia, the Portals think with themselves?
    I'm sorry, but somehow, with Parson portrayed as a gamer, I want him to start thinking with portals :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    That might take a while.
    Aren't we due a scene change?
    Aaaand it looks like we're due for a hiatus! At least they explained why in detail.

Also, I'd have put "I need to get married" a bit higher up on the post, it's just sort of tucked away in there.

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I'm sorry, but somehow, with Parson portrayed as a gamer, I want him to start thinking with portals :-)
    He tried that one, but they said it couldn't be done.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2017-07-03 at 11:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Aaaand it looks like we're due for a hiatus! At least they explained why in detail.

Also, I'd have put "I need to get married" a bit higher up on the post, it's just sort of tucked away in there.
    I've suspected that Rob has to keep changing artists because he insists upon revision after revision, pressing the deadlines. He just about admitted that its that way with his text updates, so I believe that 'other projects', 'moving on to develp art style' etc amount to 'giant pain in the ass and will do greeting cards rather than put up with it any more.'

As for the quality not suffering from the 'put up anything as long as it's on time'? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA no.

Finally, splitting a book demonstrates that he is channeling George RR Martin in overpopulating his work with subplots and characters, without even Martin's limited skill set. (Yes, I think Game of Thrones and it's sequels are tiresome drivel.)
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

We get a two month hiatus just after I said the comic is about to get interesting again. Does Rob hate me?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Firbolg in the Playground

We get a two month hiatus just after I said the comic is about to get interesting again. Does Rob hate me?
    Of all the people Rob hates, I suspect he hates himself the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.