New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q214

It's embarassing to ask at this point, but targeted Dispel always leaves me in doubt: Do you roll agains't every single spell on the target, not counting items, and could, theoretically, Dispel them all?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q215:

Do identical spell area effects that do not provide attribute bonuses stack? ex: Zone of Truth, Affinity Field ?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 214 Correct, a targetted Dispel Magic checks against every spell affecting the target and can dispel all of them.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Q215: What is the size of a breath weapon affected by Shape Breath feat? Like, if I have a 30ft line and turn it into a cone, how big is the cone?
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

A 2156: 15 foot cone. Answer is found on page 69 of the monster manual, for true dragons.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2017-09-27 at 06:13 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Q 215 Con't
    What happens if I use shape breath to swap from line to cone and am not a true dragon?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

A216 cont. I think it's still half. Obviously there's no rule in the feat. Chimera has a random 40 foot line or 20 foot cone, depends on the head. There's probably other creatures with multiple breath forms but I don't know of a general rule.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q217: Can I use animal empathy with feats that allow to make diplomacy checks for alternative effects, like wanderer's diplomacy?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 218

Character gains a specific bonus feat from a class (any class).

He then uses Embrace the Dark Chaos to turn it into an Abyssal Heritor feat (or the full Dark Chaos Shuffle for any other feat).

Character then undergoes a Class Level Rebuilding quest, as described in the Players Handbook II.

The changed class and levels are those that granted the bonus feat. Does he then thus lose the feat that was modified by the Dark Chaos Shuffle?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2017-09-29 at 06:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

A 218 Yes.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 219

Druids lose some abilities if they wear forbidden armor. Is there any similar restriction in regards to weapons? I can't see anything in the basic Druid write-up, but I have a nagging feeling that I read it somewhere else.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

A 219

Druids may use metal weapons freely.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Q 220

If augmenting a psionic power to a certain strength would cause it to cost one point more than the user's Manifester Level (assuming no other method of bypassing this limit is in play), can a Torc of Power Preservation (MIC 143) be used to augment the power to that strength?

Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

A 220

Yes. Torc of Power preservation let's you do that.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 221

Where can I find the rules about using the Jump skill and the DC for different jumps?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

A 221: I'd recommend you start here.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q 222 Is there a legal way for a cleric to gain access to third domain?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

A 222 There are several Prestige Classes that grant extra domains (Contemplative, Ordained Champion, Seeker of the Mists, etc). Some let you choose, while others give you specific ones.

As for feats, I can't find anything other than the Epic feat Bonus Domain.

Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q 223 is there a way to trade cleric’s ability to cast altogether for something interesting trough some ACF or whatnot?
    Last edited by Nordek; 2017-09-30 at 03:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 219

Druids lose some abilities if they wear forbidden armor. Is there any similar restriction in regards to weapons? I can't see anything in the basic Druid write-up, but I have a nagging feeling that I read it somewhere else.

A 219 continued
    Druids had such a restriction in 3.0, but this was changed for 3.5, largely because people playing elven druids complained that they couldn't make use of their racial weapon proficiencies with bows, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.0 SRD
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspear, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, and sling. Their spiritual oaths prohibit them from using weapons other than these. They are proficient with light and medium armors but are prohibited from wearing metal armor (thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor). They are skilled with shields but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or wields a prohibited weapon is unable to use any of her magical powers while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter. (Note: A druid can use wooden items that have been altered by the ironwood spell so that they function as though they were steel.)

Q 224

What information could a spellcaster with Greater Arcane Sight glean from a page containing a Sepia Snake Sigil?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Sight
    This spell makes your eyes glow blue and allows you to see magical auras within 120 feet of you. The effect is similar to that of a detect magic spell, but arcane sight does not require concentration and discerns aura location and power more quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greater Arcane Sight
    This spell functions like arcane sight, except that you automatically know which spells or magical effects are active upon any individual or object you see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia Snake Sigil
    The hidden sigil cannot be detected by normal observation, and detect magic reveals only that the entire text is magical.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q 225 Can a caster use the spell Faith Healing on himself?
    Target is living creature touched that implies the possibility, but the description is concerning.

22. - Top - End - #412

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nordek View Post
    Q 225 Can a caster use the spell Faith Healing on himself?
    Target is living creature touched that implies the possibility, but the description is concerning.
    Yes, he can.

Potions of Faith Healing can exist, and explicitly treat the drinker as the caster. Thus they are basically freely-maximized CLW's potions.

The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Q 226: If you buy an Elven Craft Bow, are the 2 quarter staff ends automatically masterwork, or do you have to pay for that separately?
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #414

Q 227

A question about Gestalt Characters:

I was pretty convinced that there was a rule preventing it, but rereading the section on the SRD I can't find it, so I'm asking...

If a gestalt character picks a spellcasting regular class for one half of a level, and a prestige class that increase spellcasting for the same class for the other half (i.e. one of those "+1 level of existing class" prestige classes), does he advance in double the spellcasting skill for this level?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2017-10-03 at 10:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

A 227: No.

Gestalt characters do offer quite a substantial boost in power, but do have a few constraints, that amongst them. A couple SRD citations for this.

If the two classes you choose have aspects that overlap (such as Hit Dice, attack progression, saves, and class features common to more than one class), you choose the better aspect.
    Spellcasting from the same original class overlaps, so you if the character was a wizard//incantrix (advancing wizard) on a particular level, you choose one or the other but not both.

Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class.
    In this example, there is no faster rate for spellcasting (same rate), so you choose one or the other.

Gestalt characters don’t gain access to key campaign-changing abilities faster than their standard counterparts. No gestalt character can use teleport or raise the dead under her own power before 9th level, and no nonmonk gestalt character gets a second melee attack in a round before 6th level.
    These examples further indicate that spellcasting from one side of the gestalt cannot be advanced by both sides simultaneously.

26. - Top - End - #416

Q 228

If someone throws a net on you and you use gaseous form; does the net drop to the ground or is it considered "your gear"?

27. - Top - End - #417

Q229

Selective Spell and AMF. I'm reading it as essentially wearing a wet suit while diving, unlike Mastery of Shaping making it so there isn't an actual AMF on your square, you are stil wholy inside it, just proofed against it.

So you (and presumably your gear) gets to cast magic from it to someone outside, but the reverse isn't true.

Would that be correct?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    Q229

Selective Spell and AMF. I'm reading it as essentially wearing a wet suit while diving, unlike Mastery of Shaping making it so there isn't an actual AMF on your square, you are stil wholy inside it, just proofed against it.

So you (and presumably your gear) gets to cast magic from it to someone outside, but the reverse isn't true.

Would that be correct?
    Personal? I believe so.
    Otherwise:
    No, even though you are unaffected if you cast a spell it would theoretically enter the AMF when affecting the other, thus being neutralized... like casting a fireball into an AMF.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q230

What kind of action is it to remove a patch from a Robe of Useful Items? I'm thinking it's a Move Action, but is it possibly a Standard Action? A Swift Action? A Free Action? An Immediate Action? a Full Round Action?

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Personal? I believe so.
    Otherwise:
    No, even though you are unaffected if you cast a spell it would theoretically enter the AMF when affecting the other, thus being neutralized... like casting a fireball into an AMF.
    But wouldn't it stop being suppressed after it leaves the AMF?

A related question: a creature that occupies, say, a 10x10 area, would thus have an AMF reach 20ft from its "center" if it emanates 10ft from it?
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2017-10-02 at 07:20 PM.