New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Less processing-heavy ways to record from a pc?

As the title. I've been getting curious if there are any not very processing heavy ways to record videogames from a computer. While my current method works okay-ish(using a software called OBS/Open Broadcaster Software), my system seems to sometimes put too much power in to the game, leaving the software to stutter and record a choppy video(of course, I might be wrong about the cause, but that's all that makes sense so far with my somewhat limited knowledge of this stuff, given the games and computer still run fine during the recording sessions).
    I know for consoles there's a variety of ways to intercept video between the console and the monitor, but I've not heard of that being done for a computer before. Would it be likely to help? Or would simply grabbing a different software be likely to fix up my issues?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Less processing-heavy ways to record from a pc?

You could use Task Manager to increase the priority of the recording software above that of the game.

Failing that, if you have a DVR that takes (and records) from a VGA or HDMI input, you might be able to record the PC output on the DVR, and then transfer the recorded file back. That will move the effort of recording from the PC to the DVR.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Less processing-heavy ways to record from a pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I know for consoles there's a variety of ways to intercept video between the console and the monitor, but I've not heard of that being done for a computer before. Would it be likely to help?
    Yes, using dedicated hardware would most likely work, as long as you're not trying to do anything "funny."

Like, say, recoding at 1680x1050 while using a second monitor to display something else.
    (Turned out my monitor and my framegrabber needed different signals, so I had to attach them to separate outputs instead of using the daisy-chain port on the framegrabber. Leaving no way to attach the other monitor.)

Also, no HDCP-protected content, for obvious reasons.