New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Planescape: Torment Questions

Okay, a few questions here (please don't spoil me; if I had wanted to get spoilers, I would have just went to a map of the Fortress of Regrets):

What are the requirements to get the "best" ending/do the most/best stuff in the Fortress of Regrets? From what I've osmosed from the internet, I need (at the very least) the bronze sphere from Pharod after I've already given it to him (already got it because of *spoiler*), the immortal-killing dagger from Coaxmetal, and to die less than a certain number of times. Does dying through dialog options increase the "counter"? What is the threshold for the number of deaths that I can suffer? Anything else that I should be aware of (other than to not bring Ignus if I'm non-Evil (or Vhailor if I'm Evil), because *spoilers*)?

Also, I'm currently trying to decide whether to become a Sensate or a Godsman first (before switching to the other faction). I'd prefer to become a Sensate last (because I prefer their philosophy), but from what I've read on the Internet, the general consensus is to become a Godsman last because they have the best faction-exclusive gear. What gear is exclusive to the Godsmen, and is any of it useful for a Mage?

Finally, are there any particular conversations that I should use Friends to boost my CHA to 25 or use (Improved) Strength and Power of One to boost my STR up to 25 (or whatever the cap for those spells is) for?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-06-12 at 08:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Planescape: Torment Questions

Oh, and are there any companion conversations that require doing specific, possibly counter-intuitive things (like having Dak'kon translate Fell's speech for you while already knowing the language of Dabuses)? And yes, I already know about the missable upgrades for Nordom.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-06-12 at 08:32 AM.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

IIRC, it is possible to be acknowledged AS a Sensate without actually joining the faction.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    IIRC, it is possible to be acknowledged AS a Sensate without actually joining the faction.
    Yup, I talked to the person that reminded me that *begin minor spoiler* one of my previous incarnations was a Sensate *end minor spoiler*.

The "how many deaths am I allowed to have" thing is actually quite urgent, as I've died quite a few times in the Modron Maze (and am still in it), and would hate to have to revert to my pre-Modron Maze save file.
    "No" means "yes".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Okay, a quick google search tells me that the number of deaths I have will only affect how hard one of the final dungeons will be.

How drastically will the difficulty increase? I have a feeling that I'm going to die a lot in this maze (if I'm having trouble killing 2 or 3 High-Level Constructs now, how the heck am I gonna beat six of them and the Evil Wizard Construct at the end of the dungeon?).
    "No" means "yes".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

As I understand it, your number of deaths equals the number of shadows you will encounter in the end dungeon.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    What are the requirements to get the "best" ending/do the most/best stuff in the Fortress of Regrets? From what I've osmosed from the internet, I need (at the very least) the bronze sphere from Pharod after I've already given it to him (already got it because of *spoiler*), the immortal-killing dagger from Coaxmetal, and to die less than a certain number of times. Does dying through dialog options increase the "counter"? What is the threshold for the number of deaths that I can suffer? Anything else that I should be aware of (other than to not bring Ignus if I'm non-Evil (or Vhailor if I'm Evil), because *spoilers*)?
    I don't believe anything other than the Bronze Sphere is a requirement to bring, as such. At least, I don't remember having any need for Coaxmetal's blade.

Oh, and are there any companion conversations that require doing specific, possibly counter-intuitive things (like having Dak'kon translate Fell's speech for you while already knowing the language of Dabuses)?.
    Well that specific situation you describe can lead to some revelations. That being said, I'm pretty sure there are no such situations where the information gained is not acquirable in some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    As I understand it, your number of deaths equals the number of shadows you will encounter in the end dungeon.
    I did not know this was a thing. No wonder the Fortress was swamped on some of my playthroughs

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the dagger can be useful because is the least satisfying way to achieve the best ending, but it is by no means necessary, if you have high enough stats (or something else more useful)

... The Sphere is actually really useful, you're right. I don't remember other objects being relevant, but keep the wedding ring.
    As for the Vhailor/Ignus thing... well, it doesn't make that much difference in the end; worst thing that can happen, you have to fight one fight with 5 characters instead than 6, but most probably not. (and if you are a mage, play with Ignus for a while during the game, he has some good spells!)

Also, I'm currently trying to decide whether to become a Sensate or a Godsman first (before switching to the other faction). I'd prefer to become a Sensate last (because I prefer their philosophy), but from what I've read on the Internet, the general consensus is to become a Godsman last because they have the best faction-exclusive gear. What gear is exclusive to the Godsmen, and is any of it useful for a Mage?
    Nothing really important that I can remember... but a lot of years passed since I played.
    Finally, are there any particular conversations that I should use Friends to boost my CHA to 25 or use (Improved) Strength and Power of One to boost my STR up to 25 (or whatever the cap for those spells is) for?
    Wisdom and Con are more useful to have always high, but there is only an instance where you need a 24 Cha, and it is the ending (note that an equivalent wisdom works well, or even better, depending on your tastes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I did not know this was a thing. No wonder the Fortress was swamped on some of my playthroughs
    Me too! I remember running from hordes of shadows at one point!

Okay, a quick google search tells me that the number of deaths I have will only affect how hard one of the final dungeons will be.

How drastically will the difficulty increase? I have a feeling that I'm going to die a lot in this maze (if I'm having trouble killing 2 or 3 High-Level Constructs now, how the heck am I gonna beat six of them and the Evil Wizard Construct at the end of the dungeon?).
    Well... it isn't something terrible, since that part of the fortress of regrets is just "run from one place to another trying to avoid as much enemies as possible". The more the enemies, the more crowded it gets, but 5 shadows or 20 shadows don't make that much of a difference at that point.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2017-06-13 at 01:14 PM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    (and if you are a mage, play with Ignus for a while during the game, he has some good spells!)
    Yup, I've already done all(?) of his training conversations, including the one that I had to use my (removed) intestines for.
    Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    Wisdom and Con are more useful to have always high
    Ah, well, about that... Having a base CON of 9 (10 after the first tear-thingy) won't lock me out of anything, right (I dumped all of my physical stats for my mental ones)?
    "No" means "yes".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, well, about that... Having a base CON of 9 (10 after the first tear-thingy) won't lock me out of anything, right (I dumped all of my physical stats for my mental ones)?
    Well, high Con makes things easier due to the regeneration effect, and since I'm lazy I always loved it; but, honestly, playing this game with high leveled mental stats is the best way to do it... Mh, I'm thinking to reinstall and give it another run...

Anyway, let us know your impressions when you finish it (and we will all be able to spoiler with freedom! )
    Does this poster have a sign?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You can, of course, just abuse the game by playing solo and end up at the game at level 64 and have (almost) All Of The Stats...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As you're a Mage, remember to have the surgeon in Pharod's town rip out your intestines before leaving Sigil for the first time. It's necessary to get one of Ignus's spells.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yup, I've already done all(?) of his training conversations, including the one that I had to use my (removed) intestines for.

No, physical stats are only really usefull at the start, midle of the game but when it come to endings, it's all bout mental stats, particulary wisdom. For the 'best' ending if memory serves you need at least 24 wisdom and or Cha (and i think at least 19 int , it's been a while)
    That said, you cna afford to ,raise a couple of physical stats a little, i'd say around 12 to 14 and still get enough points to boost your mental stat high. The modron cube with it's regenerating villains is a good source of experience if memory serves and the path to the 'best' ending has something to help yoou.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2017-06-19 at 01:29 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    You can, of course, just abuse the game by playing solo and end up at the game at level 64 and have (almost) All Of The Stats...
    Really?

I played it almost to death back in the early Naughties, but since the companions are all so awesome I never tried that.
    Can you really reach Levels even remotely close to that?
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

I did reach level 27 by ditching my companions somewhere in the Fortress of Regrets, so, yes.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Really?

I played it almost to death back in the early Naughties, but since the companions are all so awesome I never tried that.
    Can you really reach Levels even remotely close to that?
    Really.

Spoiler
    Show

Note thr RIDICULOUS number of hits for AD&D. (Even in 3.x, it would only be about +50% higher!)

I called it my "Nameless Nutter" run. I consider that, in that continuity. he basically would eventually end the Blood War by dint of killing all of the protagonists - yes, ALL Of THEM - because he was a nutter that they couldn't kill who had nothing better to do. Literally. His regen was so fast, IO had to wait after every combat for the "Heal 1"s to stop scrolling and I let the Mr Big at end there stand and smack me for a few minutes without doign anything because he couldn't deal enough damage fast enough to kill me.

Priceless.

I think my last proper playthrough (with the party!) ended at about level 27/28 or thereabouts.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-06-25 at 09:56 AM.