New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default BAB or HD to initiative

I've been playing a Star Wars Saga game, and I loved how they made Initiative scale with level. It makes sense; a lv 20 Fighter shouldn't lose initiative to a lv 1 Commoner every now and again.

Since skills in 3.x, unlike in SW:S, are so easily boosted, I don't want Initiative as a skill. So I was thinking about one of two options

BAB to Init or HD to Init. Both have their pros (+) and cons (-), and both have 1 very big con, that is easily solvable so let's get to it.

Spoiler: PROS AND CONS
    Show
    BAB to Initiative:
    + Bigger boost to classes in lower tiers, as they tend to have higher BAB than full casters
    - Lower boost to classes tropes say are supposed to win initiative (Rogues, Scouts, and similar)
    - Punishes multiclassing
    I also thought of "BAB to initiative, but Rogue-like classes count as full BAB"

HD to Initiative
    + Gives roughly the same power level to all classes. Rogues have it as good as Fighters
    - Gives roughly the same power level to all classes. Wizards have it as good as Monks
    + Doesn't punish multiclassing

Spoiler: THE BIG CON
    Show

- Monsters get super high Initiative modifiers.
    I think this can be solved by saying that BAB derived from Monster HD, or Monster HD itself, are only worth half the normal amount. So a Great Wyrm Red Dragon goes from +40 Initiative to much more manageable +20, which is pretty low for a CR 26 creature.

Anyway, suggestions and pros and cons I might've missed are appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: BAB or HD to initiative

Solution:
    - Monsters add their CR to Initiative rolls, not HD
    - PCs add ECL to their CR, not HD

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Add base reflex save (maybe from class levels only?) to intiative.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd second using Reflex save or BAB whichever is higher.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Add base reflex save (maybe from class levels only?) to intiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    I'd second using Reflex save or BAB whichever is higher.
    Interesting...

How about 1.5x Reflex save (rounded down, as usual) or BAB? Rogues get Ref = BAB at lv 7, and this way they start with a little boost, and basically get the equivalent of full BAB

I only wonder about multiclasses, though I heard it's not such a problem in PF
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2017-06-26 at 10:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Use fractional saves and BAB if using the BAB or Reflex to Initiative idea.

Alternately, I wonder if removing Dex to Initiative entirely might be a fair trade for Dex to Damage being easier to access.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Yeah, just turning initiative into an opposed reflex save would be a quick and dirty solution that wouldn't mess too much up. Improved Initiative would be a situational reflex save boost that applied only to initiative. Magic items and spells that boost reflex saves boost initiative as a side effect, but that isn't bad per say.

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Yeah, just turning initiative into an opposed reflex save would be a quick and dirty solution that wouldn't mess too much up. Improved Initiative would be a situational reflex save boost that applied only to initiative. Magic items and spells that boost reflex saves boost initiative as a side effect, but that isn't bad per say.
    To better understand the change, let's consider an example.
    My lvl 16 dwarf kensai would go from 2 init to 32 init. The same applies to initiators, if they're willing to spend the concentration-to-ref maneuver. Is that a good or a bad thing?

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    My lvl 16 dwarf kensai would go from 2 init to 32 init. The same applies to initiators, if they're willing to spend the concentration-to-ref maneuver. Is that a good or a bad thing?
    A skilled master swordsman who focuses on his keen mind and agility and a warrior who has mastered bladework that happens in the blink of an eye though focus and concentration... and they are as likely to strike fist as an average commoner who took a feat to be good at going first.

Yeah, I have no problem with the fix.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2017-06-27 at 12:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    Good point. Guess just adding base reflex save to init is fairer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    BAB to Init or HD to Init
    My suggestion would be neither. Just create a new Initiative progression for each class that's either full, 3/4, or 1/2 HD just like BAB. And then you can give each class whatever initiative bonus makes sense. So for the core classes you might go with:

Full Initiative Bonus
    Monk
    Ranger
    Rogue

3/4 Initiative Bonus
    Barbarian
    Bard
    Fighter
    Paladin

1/2 Initiative Bonus
    Cleric
    Druid
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Good point. Guess just adding base reflex save to init is fairer
    Another, more meaningful example, is a wizard taking insightful reflexes.
    You obviously do not want a wizard to be even better at initiative than with official rules, so base reflexes could be a good choice.

Though, rogue has good dex and good base ref, while fighter has probably bad dex and bad ref. I feel that adding base ref to init would increase the distance between them and I think this is unwanted.

Maybe just adding BaB is the best thing.
    Last edited by noce; 2017-06-27 at 03:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    My suggestion would be neither. Just create a new Initiative progression for each class that's either full, 3/4, or 1/2 HD just like BAB. And then you can give each class whatever initiative bonus makes sense. So for the core classes you might go with:

Full Initiative Bonus
    Monk
    Ranger
    Rogue

3/4 Initiative Bonus
    Barbarian
    Bard
    Fighter
    Paladin

1/2 Initiative Bonus
    Cleric
    Druid
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Pretty much this.

If I couldn't brew my own, and had to create math using existing variables, I think I'd go with... Hmmm... Class / HD contribution to Reflex Save (hereafter referred to as "Base Reflex Save"), limit (CR / 2)? No, that gives mindless 20 HD zombies a boost to initiative.

Hmmm... 2nd try: (Base Reflex Save - Base Reflex Save of a Wizard of your HD*) x 2, limit CR. This gives Wizards no bonus, and gives Dragons an initiative boost - bug or feature? Oh, but it gives Fighters no bonus, either.

Third try: the larger of (the difference between your BAB and an equal HD Wizard's BAB, or twice the difference between your Base Reflex Save and that of a Wizard of your HD), limited by your CR.

* note that epic progression makes this a penalty for the 40HD Zombie, which I consider a feature.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-06-27 at 03:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Pretty much this.

If I couldn't brew my own, and had to create math using existing variables, I think I'd go with... Hmmm... Class / HD contribution to Reflex Save (hereafter referred to as "Base Reflex Save"), limit (CR / 2)? No, that gives mindless 20 HD zombies a boost to initiative.

Hmmm... 2nd try: (Base Reflex Save - Base Reflex Save of a Wizard of your HD*) x 2, limit CR. This gives Wizards no bonus, and gives Dragons an initiative boost - bug or feature? Oh, but it gives Fighters no bonus, either.

Third try: the larger of (the difference between your BAB and an equal HD Wizard's BAB, or twice the difference between your Base Reflex Save and that of a Wizard of your HD), limited by your CR.

* note that epic progression makes this a penalty for the 40HD Zombie, which I consider a feature.
    I see you hate wizards above all else, but I'd like to remind you Clerics and Druids have Rogue BAB. Contrary to what you seem to think, those classes are way easier to break than a Wizard, for even if you mess up the whole character creation, they're still decent characters. Hell, a Druid is better than most things even without his spellcasting, thanks to his pocket Fighter.

Any change you make based on HD will give monsters a huge advantage. Any change based on saves will favor Dragons. Any "I hate wizards" approach doesn't do much to divine casters. The best I've seen until now is the idea of creating Init bonuses based on class just like BAB, and then give monsters 1/2 or 3/4 CR. Monster-related BAB is usually 3/4 HD, so it makes sense.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Homebrewing board?
    Last edited by Kayblis; 2017-06-27 at 03:51 PM.