New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Soul Calibur VI trailer

There were some rumours about Soul Calibur VI coming in 2018, and it looks like they were true.

Well, I'm pretty excited. Hope they don't rush the game this time, and keep the character creation good.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Soul Calibur VI trailer

Man, I was just taking the other night about how I hoped V didn't kill the franchise. Soul Calibur is the only fighting game series I've ever really been into.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

A little hard to get excited about a what, 15 second trailer?

Still nice that a good franchise isn't dead yet, even if I suck at fighting games, I usually enjoyed Soul Calibur.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll get hyped when they show whether they're going back to the old cast or sticking with the less-than-stellar new one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm more excited about it coming to Steam. But the AAA industry has been doing... questionable things with fighting games lately, especially on the DLC front.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm more excited about it coming to Steam. But the AAA industry has been doing... questionable things with fighting games lately, especially on the DLC front.
    Namco Bandai is a mixed bag when it comes to DLC in my limited experience. Hopefully they won't go all Dynasty Warriors on it. (Seriously look up how much DLC the Dynasty Warriors games have on steam, its crazy)
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I was just excited that a game is actually coming out. I wasn't really optimistic since 5 didn't do so well.

Looks like they're going back to the old cast. Could take place between older games, in an alternate timeline or just be a reboot. Mitsurugi at least looks a whole lot younger.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'll get hyped when they show whether they're going back to the old cast or sticking with the less-than-stellar new one.
    I think it's pretty clear that they're going back to the old cast. The trailer shows Sophitia, who was dead in 5, and a younger-looking Mitsurugi, so it's definitely set in the past relative to 5.

Anyway, like others have said, glad the series isn't dead at least. I've never quite been able to get into 3D fighters the way I have with 2D, but I do enjoy Soul Calibur a bit. I hope it keeps the character creator though - half the fun of 4 and 5 for me was using that thing to make characters from other games/media.

I wonder if 6 will have guest characters again? I mean, Link being in SC2 was literally the only reason I ever tried the series back in the day, and weird as it was the Star Wars characters in 4 were fun too. I can think of some characters they could really catch my interest with if they got them as guests - just not sure any of them would be likely. (If Capcom agreed to have Dante be the guest character on the PS4 version, this would be an instant day-1 buy for me.)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, every single game so far aside from Soul Edge and Soul Calibur i has had a guest character, I see no reason why they'd break the trend.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's to hoping that they'll make a Switch Port with Bayonetta as a guest fighter. At least the first part. I like Soul Calibur, but I don't buy XBOX or Playstation systems, and fighting games work better on game systems than PCs for me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Here's to hoping that they'll make a Switch Port with Bayonetta as a guest fighter. At least the first part. I like Soul Calibur, but I don't buy XBOX or Playstation systems, and fighting games work better on game systems than PCs for me.
    As cool as Bayonetta would be as a guest fighter, I think I'd expect a repeat appearance from Link, or possibly the appearance of a Fire Emblem character (likely Marth) before her, since Soul Calibur favors characters who fight with melee weapons. Yeah, Bayonetta does that, but her default weapons are guns - even if she does punch her enemies with them, still not quite what I think Soul Calibur wants.

That said, Switch version with Link, Marth, or Bayonetta would definitely get my purchase as well.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think i know what we all really want.

Bring.

Back.

Necrid.

I think it's a little early to tell if I want the game or not. DLC stuff is a major concern and if microtransactions are in the game, consider it an instant no.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The last Soul Calibur game I played was III, because I really liked the RPG-like custom character mode after trying it out at a friend's house. Now unfortunately, I could totally see it being a hot mess of micro-transactions and mobile gaming-esque shenanigans with VC, artificially heavy grinding requirements, loot boxes, etc.

I'm not saying that'll happen, it's just sad that at this point in 2017-going-on-18 I can really see where what was an enjoyable full-priced game with some rewarding in-game progression from a decade ago could now easily be broken into bits and sold back to you piecemeal-style at a significant detriment to your wallet.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I can appreciate the work that goes into these games and I also am fighting excitement, but I'm also pretty worried about gouging. I really like what they did with the multiple weapons in the past and the customization of later entries, but those things are perfect of exploiting through loot boxes or similar tomfoolery.

Though as time went on, it seemed like the developers liked the extra weapons less and less. SC2 had huge pools of weapons for each character with bonuses and drawbacks. SC3 shrunk the selection and made most of the weapons buffs. SC4 made armor give stats as well as weapons, but the selection of weapons was reduced again. SC5 didn't have any stats on the smallest pool of weapons. Maybe I don't have to be as worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

i think Soul Calibur VI Looks better than the previous version