New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Erfworld's RL Counterpart

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, but I didn't see anything in the search (in the most literal sense) so I'm asking:

Is there any real strategy game similar to Erfworld? If so, what is it?

Thanks for the enlightenment

My party:

Eight people + Six Hours = The "Dude, Have You Seen My Pants?" War

Over
    and over
    again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld's RL Counterpart

There are many real strategy games that share elements of Erfworld; however, to my knowledge there is no game that the comic is based on or directly inspired by.

Many others have drawn such parallels in trying to understand the comic's mechanics, which they may be willing to summarize here. As for myself, I think attempting to compare Erfworld to an RL game muddies the waters more than anything. You can gain no new information this way, because the creators are as likely to have based the Erf mechanics on the preparation of enchiladas as they are your favorite strategy game. You're much better off trying to understand the comic on its own terms without bringing in such extraneous analogies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang! I clicked on this thread hoping someone had the answer to what game Erfworld is based on!

What is the online computer game that has similar characteristics? It's supposed to be a freebie... No dwagons, but still a hex board/turn based strategy game.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean Battle for Wesnoth?

http://www.wesnoth.org/
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2007-08-06 at 04:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Battle for Wesnoth seems to be the most similar. Erf shares many aspects with the Heroes of Might and Magic series, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dang! I clicked on this thread hoping someone had the answer to what game Erfworld is based on!
    Really? Is it so inconceivable that Rob and Jamie have created an original invention without needing to copy a real strategy game?

Just curious. So many people seem to just assume they went out and copied a game instead of making something up themselves; why is that such a natural assumption?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    Really? Is it so inconceivable that Rob and Jamie have created an original invention without needing to copy a real strategy game?

Just curious. So many people seem to just assume they went out and copied a game instead of making something up themselves; why is that such a natural assumption?
    People have a tendency to see patterns, and extend them beyond the evidence. There is a basic pattern (Erfworld is based on a general type of game, namely turn-based strategy) to extrapolate from, and it's all too easy to theorize in advance of the facts.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are also a number of similarities with Warlords 2 Deluxe, Master of Magic and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Actually, W2D and AoW:SM each have a powerful scenario builder that could probably be used to make a decent mod for the Battle for Gobwin Knob.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-08-06 at 05:50 PM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am not such a rules person that I know the similarities, but I DO know that reading Erfworld has gotten me to start playing Heroes of Might and Magic again... it feels very similar to me, with capitals and hexes and troops with different nifty abilities and leaders who grant bonuses and such.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also the hope of being able to buy the game, and play it with friends!

I'm sure there will be a game eventually, so I guess I have to wait.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dusted off MoM for idle time, and that does have to do with Erfworld reminding me of it.

Of course, why base your comic off an existing game when you can base it off an unmade/unwritten game that companies will start a bidding war to pay you to let them make it?
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    There are also a number of similarities with Warlords 2 Deluxe, Master of Magic and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Actually, W2D and AoW:SM each have a powerful scenario builder that could probably be used to make a decent mod for the Battle for Gobwin Knob.
    I have to concur with Scientivore, Warlords 2 is what I think when I read this. Archons/angels (can't remember exactly what they were called) were like some of the butt kicking most troops. But I don't remember them being bought as a third party though.

Also, I don't remember the troops themselves leveling up, only the dood who ran around gathering stuff.... you know... the more I think about it, the more Warcraft 3 sounds like Warlords 2.

Not like they haven't ever taken an old cool butt kicking game and made it into a newer, sleeker butt kicking game *cough*moria/angband*cough*

However, it's been years since I played Warlords 2.

Though I have played Angband more recently than Diablo 2.
    Last edited by Thes Hunter; 2007-08-14 at 10:21 AM.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Much like others have said, I see similarities with several turn based strategy games.

Personally I see lots of similarity with the Warlords series of games. But lots of differences as well.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Actually, I was asking not because I thought they copied it, but because I wanted to play and if there wasn't one I intended to write it with some friends, using rules to facilitate the tactical depth seen in the comic. I want to join in on the fun, not just read about it.

My party:

Eight people + Six Hours = The "Dude, Have You Seen My Pants?" War

Over
    and over
    again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
    Actually, I was asking not because I thought they copied it, but because I wanted to play and if there wasn't one I intended to write it with some friends, using rules to facilitate the tactical depth seen in the comic. I want to join in on the fun, not just read about it.
    From http://www.hamstard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18 , I'd say it's meant to be a kind of Warlords IV/Civilization II/Age of Empires hybrid.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

My thought was that it was unique because of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0015.html parson's talk of beta testing it, and i at least assume he is in the game he invented, in the exact campaign infact. yesno?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by philippos View Post
    My thought was that it was unique because of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0015.html parson's talk of beta testing it, and i at least assume he is in the game he invented, in the exact campaign infact. yesno?
    He seems to be constantly befuddled for someone who created the world engine. As his understanding of the world grows, he has had success in realizing some of his wargaming strategy schemes, but he has similarly grown less confident that he understands the basic mechanics.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    He seems to be constantly befuddled for someone who created the world engine. As his understanding of the world grows, he has had success in realizing some of his wargaming strategy schemes, but he has similarly grown less confident that he understands the basic mechanics.
    It's fairly clear (for precisely that reason) that Erfworld isn't something so simple as "Parson's game world brought to life".

My interpretation is that, in "all of existence", a world happened to have a whole passel of improbable parallels to Earth in general and Parson's game in particular. The fact that Parson ended up in such a world is a selection effect; the parallels are part of the reason Wanda locked onto him rather than any of the immense (infinite?) number of other possible candidates.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-18 at 01:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I've never played any wargames, but the game still feels a bit familiar. No My Little Ponies, though. No Princess Leia in combat fatigues on the back of a My Little Pony fighting off an onslaught of teddy bears. But I couldn't automatically see stats of my units, either.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tributary View Post
    I've never played any wargames, but the game still feels a bit familiar. No My Little Ponies, though. No Princess Leia in combat fatigues on the back of a My Little Pony fighting off an onslaught of teddy bears. But I couldn't automatically see stats of my units, either.
    well, Webinar was riding a stuffed girraffe, wasn't he? Now I don't see a good reason there aren't My Little Pony steeds somewhere. And there definitely was an onslaught of teddy bears in this comic... so there
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    The fact that Parson ended up in such a world is a selection effect; the parallels are part of the reason Wanda locked onto him rather than any of the immense (infinite?) number of other possible candidates.
    Well articulated. I had the exact thought though not as well stated. Parson may not understand all the rules, but he just got done creating the "scenario" which puts him head and shoulders over other gamers on earth, let alone the almost infinite supply of other gamers in the multiverse.

That being said, I agree with the other threads as well, I am not a huge tabletop strategy gamer, but I have played a couple computer variations. I love HoMM but Erfworld reminds me much more of Warlords. Mostly because fo the ability to move units without the benefit of heroes. As posted here and other places though, it is only similar. I have not yet seen a game that has the same mechanics, and can only presume that it could possibly be a product we can purchase in the future...
    Custom avatar thanks to Abardam.

A perfect argument does not employ words. -
    Chuang-tzu

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

We should have a MoM thread, nothing warms my heart like pretending to subvert all earthly authority and perform insane acts of despotism.

I always found Life magic to be way too strong, because you could use it both aggressively and passively, whereas the others required fairly strong cities, expansion, and aggression to be useful.

Thought I seem to remember starting with full Death lets you begin summoning planeshifting, noncorporeal demons on the first turn. Having a city on both planes by turn 40 or so is pretty freaking strong.

I also get obsessed with collecting all the arcane power heroes and just mowing down everything with their ~30+ attack.

Anyone else have some more original ideas than these? I always felt I underutilized the various spells, especially item creation and summons.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've never actually optimized my play of the game (MoM) for precisely what acheives the most and works the best, mostly because I'm not actually very good at games like that. But I've tried to set a different kind of configuration each time I play and get an occasional delight of "ooooh! that worked better than expected!" But mostly, I get whupped by any of the game modes that are actually tough.

Part of this entire thing is that Rob's revealed (SEM00067; "Erfworld: The Seminaw"; Balder, Rob; Gencon 2007) that the story of Erfworld came first. Afterwards he assembled what he needed of the game in order to make the story work, also admitting that a gamer would probably design the game first, but that he's primarily a writer.
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by benthehater View Post
    Part of this entire thing is that Rob's revealed (SEM00067; "Erfworld: The Seminaw"; Balder, Rob; Gencon 2007) that the story of Erfworld came first. Afterwards he assembled what he needed of the game in order to make the story work, also admitting that a gamer would probably design the game first, but that he's primarily a writer.
    ahhhh! well, I guess that makes an interesting story where the outcome is not so much dictated by the rules of the game. Still, he got the strategy elemnts pretty well!
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    ahhhh! well, I guess that makes an interesting story where the outcome is not so much dictated by the rules of the game. Still, he got the strategy elemnts pretty well!
    Having important plot points tied to the mechanics of the game (e.g. the execution of Parson's plan and Ansom's response) serves the purpose of making the concept of Erfworld (it's a universe that works by TBS game rules) meaningful rather than merely cosmetic. Having the ultimate resolution depend on the characters serves the same purposes it serves in good storytelling generally.

Jillian's situation would seem to be the (nicely handled) transition between the two.