New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Andoran Act 2

Cassandra

Cassandra sighed and pointed her finger at Soraya, wondering if anything could lay the dreadful woman low. Probably not. It's been that kind of day. Then she headed east. "May want to put some distance between you and her, Hammerhead," she offered.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Soraya can make a DC 21 fort save, followed by a will save if he fails. Which he won't, but hey, it's something to do.

Conall jumps and attacks: (1d20+15)[33]
    Damage: (3d6+10)[21] plus Grab on hit: (1d20+15)[28]
    Confirm: (1d20+15)[18]
    Damage: (3d6+10)[20]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Soraya Fortitude Save (With Charmed Life): (1d20+17)[27]

I am not 100% sure about the bonus. I don't have my sheet in front of me. Let's see if it matters, I know it's correct to within 2-3 points.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2017-07-11 at 05:25 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hammerhead

Hammerhead gritted his teeth, angry beyond words that he was practically helpless against Soraya.

She dodged both my attacks, she has my hammer!..

Even so, Hammerhead knew he had no chance, and headed east alongside Cassandra.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to DB 36.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Soraya

Now ignoring the adventurers and their adventurous ways, Soraya kept her attention on Lord Abarta. "That's very forward of you. I should warn you that Qadiran women set a fast pace." She whirled her scimitar in a defensive pattern.

Show
    Shutting down luck, Total Defense.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Almas, The Pointy End
    Alessandra

"I'm afraid I don't recall meeting anyone by that name.", she says apologetically, "But I'm certain he'll turn up eventually."

She picks out a seat, staying close enough to the couple to continue conversing but not so close as to be sitting with them, per se.

"Though I'll grant that trouble seems to find Pathfinders at the best of times. You are Pathfinders, yes? I apologize for the assumption, but there are only so many reasons to carry arms and armor to teatime, and the Lodge is just over there..." She trails off and chuckles. "I'm terribly sorry, prying before I've so much as introduced myself. I am Alessandra, nice to meet you."

Alessandra places an order for a cup of tea at the next opportunity. If she's at the nicest inn in the city, she might as well take the opportunity to relax a little, enjoy the ambience.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Carnival

"Cassim yn Bashir, we meet again. Though I'll admit, the last time I encountered one of Cassim's students, we were fighting on solid ground. Bit hard to do that one lunge when you don't have any real footing."

Lord Abarta shifted his weight slightly to the left, then made a quick jab for Soraya's throat. The resulting parry and riposte from her scimitar sliced away one of the feathers on Abarta's jacket. He wasn't quick enough to parry this time, but he could at least dodge. His lips pursed.

"One of Cassim's better students, I see ..."

Meanwhile ...

Having moved to catch their breath, the party could now see the Cold Riders were nearly around to the east end of the carnival. Likely the leader would want another minute for his wounds to heal. As of yet, there was no sign of Jaeger, though last they'd seen him, he was headed in the direction of the peep show. For the moment, things looked rather calm on the grounds.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Noting the presence of the Cold Riders in the distance, and deciding to let Lord Abarta have his fun, Cassandra did what she thought best: she flew. Extricating Jaeger from the peep show was next on the list before they could fully retreat from the field.

Show
    Flying run toward the peep show. Unsure where this puts me on the map.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Soraya

Soraya smiled more genuinely, happy to discuss it. "Training standards went through an overhaul in the last century or so, though grand-uncle did say I was a diligent pupil." Her smile shifted to a slight smirk as she reset her stance, the hand behind her back making a finger-wiggling 'come on' motion before re-closing.

Show
    Total Defense again.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Floating along behind Ellarie and Kiyoko, Elias glanced back up at the canopy.

"Well, at least these vermin were a bit less tenacious than the last. I'm glad you're alright."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #70

Hammerhead

Hammerhead followed along with Cassandra.

"Any sign of our druid-y friend?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra pretended not to hear Hammerhead's question, which was actually not hard at all, considering the distance now between them. On the ground, Conall began to follow the others, though he gave Soraya a dubious look.

Show
    Run flying toward the peep show tent again. Conall follows as he's able.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The Pointy End, Almas

"It's nice to meet you too Alessandra. I'm Verus. Everyone calls me Igneous though. And this is my wife, Branda." The old man was all smiles, though his wife maintained a decidedly neutral expression -- not unpleasant, just socially cautious.

"We're not Pathfinders, though we've worked with the Society in the past. We're the Golden Watch. We are, and our absent companions."

The Chelish woman tilted her head slightly in her husband's direction, silently advising caution. He responded with an emphatically dismissive shrug, immediately crestfallen as the day's disappointment reached critical mass.

"Our best days our behind us, but we still meet every year in this inn and we go scare up some adventure. You know, go bash some goblins for old times' sake. It's good to stay active. Course, Rhoma passed away last year."

"She was eighty-seven, dear."

"But today we find out Dern is laid up in home for old folks and invalids! Declared mentally incompetent by his own children. They wouldn't let us see him. Said it would just get him riled up. No sign of Taergan at all. And he's a half-elf, mind you. Still a spry young man in his sixties. He's got more years left than the rest of us put together. Gods know what's kept him. We've been sitting here for hours trying to decide on what to do about it."

Branda's lips curled into a mirthless smile. "Call it adventurer's intuition. Something doesn't feel right about all this. I suspect Dern's predicament and Taergan's delay aren't coincidences. We may be targeted next. By whom, I couldn't possibly guess. I think its best we stay someplace very public for the time being."

Arthfell

As the party pressed north, darkness fell. Even the soft verdant glow had faded and the light of the full mood overhead couldn't penetrate the canopy spare for a few rare ethereal rays. For a time, the party walked in oppressive silence. The wood was too still to disturb and everyone felt a fierce need to keep their ears peeled for movement. There were no animal sounds, no hooting of owls, nor the chirping of insects. At least, no normal thing made noise. They heard the baying of worgs twice. Once, a trio of wisps darted overhead, taunting the party with shrill laughter and unspeakably foul things in Aklo. Far above, they could make out the sharp gold eyes of the gargoyles. They watched always, but never neared -- now smart enough to wait for something bigger to start the fight so they could swoop in and steal some trinkets or a severed limb to snack on.

At last, they caught sight of the flicker of fire dancing across the bark of the titantic trees some three hundred feet ahead.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-13 at 07:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie stopped as she spotted the glowing orange of the bonfire through the thick tangle of ancient trees and undergrowth of the deep woods. She raised her hands above her head, trying to loosen up the muscles which had grown tense beneath the overwhelming weight of the forest's silence. She expelled a deep breath and turned to the others,

"I'll go in talking. What shall we do to prepare? I've got a couple of spells in mind for myself. Kiki, do you want my Good Hope potion?" Her voice was low but rapid fire thanks to the pent up nervous energy that had accrued during their nearly silent trek after the gargoyle attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"I'll pass on the potion. I don't think it plays nice with my destiny." An odd turn of phrase, but true. "Anyway, I'm thinking we cloak ourselves and hit the druid with everything we've got before he can react. Unless you think we should actually hear him out."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

As the bonfire became visible through the trees, Elias waved for the group to stop.

"Hold a moment. While I can understand the impulse to simply bludgeon our quarry and escape, I would like to know what's going on here. If this Blooded Stag abides by druidic tradition, the circle of the bonfire should be sacrosanct. Those of us who enter should leave our weapons at the edge of the circle as mark of our intent to parlay. Ellarie, when you speak with him, you should state that you understand the fire and the gathering means a peace bond. Identify us, and then ask "Who speaks for the forest?" With that, we should be able to get some answers."

It seemed to take the wizard a moment to realize he had assumed Ellarie would take the lead.

"At least, assuming you wish to speak with the druid. I would accompany you..."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie listened to Elias's instructions carefully, nodding along silently at intervals to indicate she was paying attention.

"I do feel as though there's more to this than those soldiers back at the inn let on. This may be our best chance to find out." She turned a rueful smile towards Kiyoko.

"Besides, we'd most likely be terribly outnumbered in any case, as much fun as going in swinging always is. Though your chance might come yet, who knows how this'll go." She took a deep breath to steady her nerves.

"Right, so like Elias says, him and I will go in talking. Kiyoko and Philip will keep watch for any signs of trouble." Her face glanced up to the dimly reflective eyes of the predatory gargoyles high above them.

"And make sure none of those blighters take off with my sword." She scowled at them for good measure in case they were paying attention.

"But first a little bolstering." She focused for a few moments and cast her chosen magical spells before being sure the rest was ready and set off again.

Spoiler: ooc spells
    Show
    Ellarie casts Heroism, Glibness and Aspect of the Nightingale on herself in that order.

Ellarie carried her sword across her arms as if an offering as the group approached the druid circle. She made a show of placing it just beyond the light's perimeter. And then followed it with the battered and unremarkable longbow she had picked up who knows where. She stood and raised her hands to show they were empty and slowly walked into the firelight.

"We recognize the peace bond of the bonfire. We have no intentions of violating the sanctity of the flames. I am Ellarie Chapman. My companion is Sir Elias Apion. We have come to parlay." She caught herself just before she forgot entirely.

"Who speaks for the forest?" She blinked her eyes as she spoke to help them adjust to the brightness of the fire after traversing the dim forest for so many hours.

Spoiler: ooc roll
    Show

Diplomacy
    (1d20+25)[42]
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-07-14 at 06:39 PM.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Carnival

As the party neared the Blind Peep Show, they saw a bloodied grizzly bear emerge from the tent. The creature gave a look of understanding towards the flying cauldron and reverted back into the the red haired local druid. He has a grim look on his face.

"A nymph and a pair of quicklings. They were luring men in one at a time, and ... well, it's taken care of." Jaeger trailed off. The implication was clear enough from his haunted eyes.

"You all look like you've taken some damage. Is it too much to hope we've dealt with the worst of it?"

Lord Abarta could be seen trailing behind. Cassandra could see that he was lightly wounded at this distance and did not have the Qadiran woman with him.

Arthfell

As the pair approached the gathering, they passed through a ring of ancient paueliel trees, delicate looking too-slender trees that grew as high as the redwoods and darkwoods here. Their silvery bark positively glowed in the flicker of the bonfire. Assembled in the one hundred food circle were a myriad of forest denizens. Most paid little heed to the sudden appearance of the two humans, like the squad of hobgoblins. The sprites and quicklings stared daggers. The trio of centaurs stamped their hooves. The werewolves (many in remnants of Eagle Knights' armor) began to howl. The raven haired nymph glanced their way once, then once again closed her eyes and motioned for the gaunt half-elven man sitting behind her to resume combing her hair. All around, the hide and wool covered druids made a motion for peace, but the throng continued to voice their displeasure until a roar silenced them. At the rear of the grove, a green dragon (about Svangi's size) reared up, sunk his claws into the ground and continued to bellow until all were quiet. Accomplished, he politely wiped the acid and spittle from his lips and once again made himself comfortable as a housecat would.

A figure appeared into view, walking around the bonfire with his hands raised high. This human man wore a smile, but there was nothing disarming about his face. His eyes were glassy black orbs and all his teeth had been filed to points. A pair of antlers grew form his forehead through cracked and broken skin. His face and exposed forearms bore intricate designs from ritualistic scarification.

"We've been expecting you!" he called, gesturing towards Elias and Ellarie with his staff, topped with a stag's skull. His voice was unnervingly high for a man of his age and size, a shrill, lilting thing. "I speak for the forest and I say you are welcome here, Ellarie Chapman and Sir Elias Apion. I am Mathedras. You are recognized, in peace, by the grove." There was only slight derision in the way he said 'sir'.

His smile widened. "You've come so far today. Whatever you have to ask of the grove must be important."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Breathing slightly heavily after flying nearly five hundred feet in twelve seconds, Cassandra touched down near Jaeger and waited for Hammerhead to catch up. "The last two Cold Riders are heading east toward the River. I could catch them, but there isn't much point now. Lord Abarta (I'll explain later) is on his way after fighting Soraya. He's wounded, but I'm guessing he got the better of her." The druidess chewed her lip in worry. "At least, I hope that's the case. I'll heal us up a bit and speak to him. If the danger is passed, we should try to get these people home."

As she applied healing to those as needed it, she gave Hammerhead a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry about your weapon, Yandeath. If Soraya isn't dead and available to take it form her corpse, we'll get somewhere where you can obtain a new weapon as soon as we can. In the meantime, I know it isn't much, but please keep my scimitar."

Show
    Going to use my wand now, and I suppose I should use the previous rolls.
    Cass: Heal for 9
    HH: Heal for 23
    Conall: Heal for 23
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-07-15 at 01:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie's eyes widened as they adjusted and she took in the vast array of creatures that sat before her. She blinked as the dragon hushed the chorus of dissent from the motley group, she certainly hadn't been expecting a dragon. But they had been expected, apparently. That news was unsettling.

"Thank you for your consideration, Mathedras." She nodded to the Druid and to the dragon in turn.

"We have traveled to the heart of the Arthfell to ask you what your grievances are with the denizens of Oregent?"
    She clasped her hands in front of herself and waited patiently, her eyes roving over the individuals around the fire.
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Standing outside the circle with Phillip (and everyone's weapons) to keep her company, Kiyoko split her attention between watching for threats and trying to get a count of creatures at the bonfire from sound alone. She'd accounted for a dragon, a bunch of tiny things flitting around, 1d4 large things with hooves that were probably centaurs, several other things with padded feet (werewolves? The legendary puma?) and probably some other, quieter things that she'd missed.

And the ultra-squeaky Voice of the Forest. The fact that anyone took him seriously while he called himself that, in that voice, meant he probably wasn't screwing around.

"It's a world-class menagerie in there, all right," the Minkaian frowned and worked her jaw a bit, thinking. For once - and this was a first, most assuredly - she wasn't sure if she wanted to start something after all. The bonfire was like a who's-who of Horrible Things that Kill People in the Woods. They were really just down a crazed woodsman and a frumious bandersnatch. All of which begged the question... what should she do if they turned hostile?
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2017-07-15 at 12:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Carnival

"No corpse, I'm afraid. Gravely wounded and fled." Abarta landed near Cassandra and made an expectant gesture towards the bloody wound on his shoulder. "I believe I was to "kill her if I must"? I mustn't." He wore a sly, but not unfriendly smug expression.

Further scouting of the fair grounds revealed one more grizzly discovery. The half finished meat pies were lumberjack flavored. Three dismembered corpses were found in the tent that served as a prep kitchen. Once butchered, it was hard to tell their meat from the mutton and there was no way of telling what the oblivious townsfolk seated outside had eaten. Whatever monster had done this had already fled the area. Abarta seemed nonplussed. "Tastes just like pork, you know. Hmm ... so I've heard."

Jaeger excused himself to dry heave.

The Cold Riders did not make another appearance.

Spoiler: Victory (Pyrrhic)
    Show
    Though fifteen people in all have been killed, you know it would have been far worse had you not been here today. The Cold Riders would have made short work of the addled fairgoers and little would have stopped them from massacring the town after.

You are awarded 10,000 bonus XP. Informing Stray of what happened will complete your original quest.

Arthfell

The Bloodied Stag laughed at the question, cackled more like. The sound was even more grating and sinister than his normally unpleasant speaking voice. "How many miles of stumps did you pass on your way here, Ellarie Chapman? That is the damage done since only my father's time. Five decades. I should think our quarrel with the Lumber Consortium is quite self-explanatory."

He took a few steps towards the pair as he spoke. At the back of the grove, the dragon chuckled as quietly as he could.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-15 at 11:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I did say that, didn't I?" Cassandra sighed, mostly from weariness. "It would have been nice to recover Hammerhead's hammer, but that will do nicely." As she spoke, she flicked her wand several times, stitching up Lord Abarta's wound. When she was done, she gave the Fey Lord her best curtsy. "Thank you for your assistance, Lord Abarta. I am sorry if Lord Stray inconvenienced you, but your arrival was timely, and I appreciate it."

Cassandra gave the other druid a look of sympathy. "Jaeger, I'm sorry we couldn't save more of these people. At least we saved some. I hope the evil memory of those who survived fades. Is there anything more we can do? After we rest, we should make our way back to Lord Stray's palace and make our report."

Show
    CMW: (2d8+3)[9]
    (2d8+3)[13]
    (2d8+3)[7]

23. - Top - End - #83

Hammerhead

My hammer...

Hammerhead mournfully sniffled softly before recomposing himself.

Focus, Hammerhead. Sniffling about a weapon when people nearly died is in poor taste. Even if it is the only link back to your old life at this point.

Hammerhead looked to Jaeger.

"All things considered, considering the level of screwy magic at work here, I would say that it's a miracle more people weren't killed. Still... I pity these folk. This is going to hang heavy over them for a very long time."

"Like Cassandra said, if you want any last minute favors or help, we'll try. But then we should let Stray know what happened."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie nodded sympathetically as the Druid relayed his self-admittedly predictable gripe with the town.

"We did indeed pass a sea of stumps on our way here." She looked at the Archdruid thoughtfully.

"I also noticed that the trees were being allowed to grow back in places. Is there a peaceful compromise that would satisfy you and your people? And minimize potential casualties on both sides?"
    She spoke in earnest though she couldn't help but wonder at her unlikely role as mediator between these throng of forest dwellers and the small town folk of Oregent.
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Carnival

Jaeger shook his head. "No, I don't think there's anything more to be done. Frankly, you should leave right away. Whatever you tell Kreed, it's not likely he'll believe you. He may even find a way to pin this whole mess on you. I'll do what I can to clean up and think of something convincing to tell the Gavel. He'll want revenge for this, but that's not new. I'm afraid the pogroms will continue. That can't be helped. Still, thank you for doing what you did."

He smiled weakly. "I wish I could give you some sort of reward. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a magic longbow? We don't have much, but you can always count on a Temple of Erastil to have a magic longbow."

"Service is it's own reward," Abarta crooned. "Such intrepid heroes could not possibly beggar a reward from your humble temple."

Jaeger raised an eyebrow and gave the fey noble an amused nod of recognition. Clearly Abarta's cheek reminded him of someone.

"Speaking of service though, I believe mine is concluded. Though, should you wish to extend the terms of my compact, I'd be happy to entertain your bargain, Cassandra, darling."

Arthfell

"To the east, the trees return because of us. Because of our violence. Because of our vigilance. The people of Andoran dare not settle too close." The Bloodied Stag stopped his approach and now stood ten feet away. He continued to speak loud enough for the congregation to here him. "It was not ours who broke the peace. Cease logging, leave the outlying farms and the violence shall cease. Do not think us unreasonable." He had an unsettling smile, but there seemed to be nothing false about him now.

The biggest of the hobgoblin warriors spit towards Ellarie. It landed twenty feet short, but it was still a clear insult.

"Though I can only speak for the forest. The Black Talon Legion would require separate negotiations."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-17 at 11:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I have not trained with the longbow," Cassandra said pointedly, responding to Jaeger's offer. She met Jaeger's gaze and then flicked her eyes to Hammerhead, however, hoping that the druid understood her intent.

"Speaking of service though, I believe mine is concluded. Though, should you wish to extend the terms of my compact, I'd be happy to entertain your bargain, Cassandra, darling."

"Ah...that will not be necessary, Lord Abarta." Cassandra's cheeks colored slightly and she faltered as she remembered what Stray had told her of Abarta previously. And what he'd said regarding Frilogarma, remembering that Abarta served her. Abarta couldn't possibly know of what she wanted almost more than anything. Could he?

The druidess smoothed her clothing, flicking away dirt and debris from the tumults of battle with her magical gloves. Her voice was once again that of Cassandra the noblewoman. "We will take our leave shortly and put some distance between ourselves and this place, lest we find our welcome cut even shorter than it has been. Perhaps we shall meet again in more pleasant circumstances."

Show
    Bluff to pass a secret message to Jaeger. We'd gladly take the bow, but for Hammerhead. (1d20+21)[32]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

Crocker sailed past the peepshow as Margot looked for Beignet. She could tell he was fine through their connection at least. Once found he smiled proudly and waved a fat stuffed avoral in the air. The terrabiscotti warrior looked on silently with an armload of stuffed animals. He didn't look particularly happy, but it wasn't his fault. Margot made a mental note to mold the next one a smile before baking. With her crew rounded up she made her way back to the peepshow tent in time for Lord Abarta's arrival.

"Thank you for your assistance, Lord Abarta," she said with a curtsy, "Would you like anything for your trouble? Maybe a pastry for the road?"
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie pointedly ignored the nasty hobgoblin and looked at the disfigured visage of the Archdruid for a long moment. He seemed sincere, in both his belief in his forbearance of the townsfolk, a one-sided account or no, and also in his tacit assertion that he was not the one who was leading the werewolves in their operations against Oregent.

"I will relay your assurance to the townsfolk that as long as the forest remains unmolested, then so will they and make it known to them that the werewolves are an autonomous faction. In return, I would ask you to point me towards who does speak for The Black Talon Legion and for safe passage back through the forest for my companions and I." She tried to keep her face passive as her heart beat just a little bit faster. If the Druid decided to set his cadre of forest fiends on them there was little she could do to stop them. Idly she wondered if she would be doing Elias any favors by dying first. It might buy him some time at least.
    #Notallinfluencers

29. - Top - End - #89

Hammerhead

Hammerhead swallowed and then spoke.

"Well... as much as I feel a bit iffy about taking something important to your temple, I find myself lacking for a weapon, Jaeger - so I'd be right appreciative if you were willing to give it."

Once the remainder of their business had been concluded, Hammerhead shook Jaeger's hand.

"Hopefully we'll meet again one day under better circumstances, eh?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Athfell

"There are three werewolf packs," Mathedras said, his voice lower this time. "They seldom agree with one another. As much as I would enjoy seeing someone try to negotiate with the packs, I will deign to caution against it -- a courtesy for honoring our druid ways."

He gestured absently towards the hobgoblins. "Commander Dysedrag will entertain your diplomatic overtures. But as an military junta, the hobgoblin people settle little with words, not from those they see as eventual slaves."

The Bloodied Stag paused to set his staff against his shoulder while he pressed his hands together and muttered in the inexplicable secret language of druids. A soft green light poured from the gaps in his fingers and a moment later he held over a rough wooden figurine for inspection. The piece of driftwood resembled a stag's skull with a jagged pair of antlers. A tiny green flicker could still be seen in both eye sockets. "My token. It will crumble at sunrise, three days hence. Carry it prominently and you shall go in peace. Even the beasts and carnivorous fauna know my sign. I trust three days is enough time to conclude your business in the Arthfell?"

Carnival

Lord Abarta beamed at the mention of pastries. "Oh, I'd be delighted to relieve you of whatever confectionery you'd be kind of enough to part with. I do have such a sweet tooth." It was then that Hammerhead noticed Abarta was once again holding his crystal goblet. He didn't remember ever handing it back.

Beignet silently pressed one of the stuffed animals he'd won into Abarta's free hand. "Ah! A, um ... I suppose it's some sort of rabbit/antelope chimera. But purple! My favorite. Thank you, tiny person."

Jaeger gave Yandeath a long and hearty handshake. "One day there will be better circumstances. I hope I live to see it. I'll do what I can here to make it happen. Sometimes I think I should get back out there. Have another go at proper adventuring. But the people here need me. Clearly." His eyes wondered back to the tent.

"Well. You three should get going before Kreed's goons show up. I'll have my sister meet you with the bow a ways down the river on the west side of town. Don't feel bad about taking it. Not like it's an ancient relic of our faith or anything. We just bought it from a ranger who needed some cash for retirement. We got a great price on it too."