New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Andoran Act 2

Ellarie

Ellarie turned to Kiyoko,

"Ignoring whatever this is is a valid option." Her eyes flicked to Elias,

"But I can't imagine what could tamper with so many people's memories at once. That's far beyond my abilities." She raised an eyebrow at her companions,

"Does anyone speak bull-man?" A slow, slightly gleeful smile stretched across her face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

It was difficult for Elias to stifle a sigh at this new development. It seemed everywhere they traveled, there was some local disaster just poised to unfold lest they intervene. In different circumstances, or with people he cared about involved, Elias might have leapt to the mystery. But they had business with darker and deadlier threats than a missing carnival. And yet...

"I know the tongue of minotaurs. I assume you meant a minotaur? Sir Elias Apion, at your service sir. We are on a mission of some urgency, but we could perhaps help put your minds at ease. Who leads your charming community?"

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hammerhead

Hammerhead's eyes widened as Margot, then Stray, detailed exactly who Tar-Baphon was. It was not as bad as he had expected.

It was worse.

"Well, yes. Yes, that is definitely, definitely very bad."

"So, the question now is, what should we do? Try to go to the other two seals, and make sure they are still guarded properly? Or try to repair the third seal? Is there even a way to repair the third seal?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Order of the Stick flashbacks... intensifying...
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Gods, no, we just blew three days not solving Oregent's problems, and we're late to whatever this issue is." The Minkaian rolled her eyes. "Let them contact the authorities they love so much for missing carnies."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie's grin grew wider at Kiyoko's protestations.

"We'd probably be staying the night though, right? It would only take a minute to hear what the Minotaur had to say. We wouldn't have to do anything with the information." She shrugged, remembering the werewolf.

"He might not even talk to us anyway."
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"If there is a way to repair it, such ability is likely beyond the three of us." Cassandra glanced at Stray. She suspected his strengths lay in a different realm than that as well. "We probably should seek the others out. If this Victoria knew or suspected their locations, others may have the same information, and I would rather we recover them and transfer them to safer hands than abandon them to the whims of chance. Or at least ascertain that they do, in fact, remain inviolate if that be the case."

"Besides," she added with a small smile for Margot, "There's bound to be treasure along the way, yes?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

The witch frowned. "I appreciate treasure, but I'll admit I also have a certain vested interest in the world not being overrun by hordes of undead. The prince is likely right. Cheliax would win through some bull**** gambit that only works because nobody's going to tell Asmodeus he isn't clever. Abyss, they might join forces. Regardless everything we know gets burned down and Cheliax gets stronger." As a Galt native Margot was born with a healthy mistrust of Cheliax.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"That's more or less my point. The Minotaur isn't going to talk to us, and if he did, he isn't going to give us anything useful." The tiefling sighed and facepalmed. "Do what you like, I guess. Just don't be surprised if this is a colossal waste of time."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

"I know, I know! I'm sure you're right! It's just..." Her voice trailed off, though it held her childishly excited tone.

"I've never seen a Minotaur before!" She clasped Kiki's arm.

"I'll buy you a drink and dinner afterwards, I promise! No, two drinks!"
    #Notallinfluencers

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Two beers, huh... you realize this is going to be a minotaur corpse, right?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her enthusiasm faltered a tiny bit,

"Yeeeeah, but he's still generally Minotaur shaped, right?" She turned to the half-orc.

"Where's his body being kept?"
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    The Pointy End, Almas

"It's nice to meet you too Alessandra. I'm Verus. Everyone calls me Igneous though. And this is my wife, Branda." The old man was all smiles, though his wife maintained a decidedly neutral expression -- not unpleasant, just socially cautious.

"We're not Pathfinders, though we've worked with the Society in the past. We're the Golden Watch. We are, and our absent companions."

The Chelish woman tilted her head slightly in her husband's direction, silently advising caution. He responded with an emphatically dismissive shrug, immediately crestfallen as the day's disappointment reached critical mass.

"Our best days our behind us, but we still meet every year in this inn and we go scare up some adventure. You know, go bash some goblins for old times' sake. It's good to stay active. Course, Rhoma passed away last year."

"She was eighty-seven, dear."

"But today we find out Dern is laid up in home for old folks and invalids! Declared mentally incompetent by his own children. They wouldn't let us see him. Said it would just get him riled up. No sign of Taergan at all. And he's a half-elf, mind you. Still a spry young man in his sixties. He's got more years left than the rest of us put together. Gods know what's kept him. We've been sitting here for hours trying to decide on what to do about it."

Branda's lips curled into a mirthless smile. "Call it adventurer's intuition. Something doesn't feel right about all this. I suspect Dern's predicament and Taergan's delay aren't coincidences. We may be targeted next. By whom, I couldn't possibly guess. I think its best we stay someplace very public for the time being."

The Pointy End, Almas
    Alessandra

Picking out a seat just far away enough to not technically be sitting with the pair, Alessandra listened intently, processing this information. "My apologies for the presumption, then. I'll grant that what you're saying is a touch concerning."

An understatement. It might be a coincidence, of course...but one learns a few things navigating a criminal underworld, and one of those things is that there are no coincidences when it comes to mysterious disappearances. Without so much as a suspect it would be difficult to pin down a motive, of course: It could be someone's personal grudge, it could be an individual or group preying upon wealthy-looking single targets.

"...Alright, I can't let this go. What if I looked into this for you?", she asked, betraying her curiosity. "I have this terrible habit of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, you see. Scratches an itch."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2017-08-07 at 05:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

"The Lesser Seals were constructed using bone fragments from Tar-Baphon himself and splinters of the Shield of Aroden, which was sundered in the battle. Tar-Baphon's body was destroyed, but his phylactery was concealed within Gallowspire, so he no doubt reformed only days later. Still, it was enough time for the Crusaders to push his army back and erect the seals in the first place. The broken seal could be reforged, but you would need both a bone and part of the shield. The pieces of the shield reside within the Crusader's College at Lastwall. Even I don't know where to find the rest of Tar-Baphon's bones, but someone at Lastwall might. I'm not sure they'll trust you, but it may be that the college does not yet know one of the seals has been broken. Someone needs to tell them."

He smiled with a complete lack of warmth and dull eyes. "I cannot take you to Lastwall. I'm forbidden to travel outside of Andoran. But I do have a faithful vassal who can take you there. If that's what you want. I can carry you to see Syntira as well. And if you're feeling particularly spunky, you could reunite the Skull of Ydersius with his body and slay his avatar in the presence of Pharasma herself." He paused a beat. "That last one was a joke. But feel free to offer once you're stronger. I'd like to see that."

New Falcon's Hollow

"Yeah, sure, mi-no-tower. What you said. Everybody knows that." The half orc shifted uncomfortably. "We just dragged him out into the fields a ways if you want to have a look at him. Coyotes probably got to him, but there should be enough left."

He pointed about a half mile out towards a depression in the fields that looked to be the town's garbage dump. Should the party venture out that way, they find the putrid smelling, despoiled corpse of an 8' minotaur with most of his skull intact. His eyes had been picked out by birds.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie started down silently at the beast, enthusiasm deflated.

"Not quite as majestic as I thought he'd be." She turned to Elias,

"Translate for me please? I would like to ask what he was doing here, and who killed him."
    She turned back to the corpse and regarded him almost pityingly before she cast Speak with Dead on him.
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra pressed her lips into a thin smile directed toward the Fey Prince. "I'd much prefer to put off meeting Pharasma as long as I can." Drawing out one of her maps, she unrolled it and examined the area around Lastwall. "Yes, I still think I'd like to see Syntira first, but if you also have someone who can safely take us to Lastwall, I would not turn down such an offer. Even with Crocker, it would be a long journey through perilous terrain. Would it be better to go directly to Lastwall, or should we not seek out the other seals as well? Then Cassandra put down her map. "Who is this vassal?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

New Falcon's Hollow

The minotaur shuddered to life, or at least his skull did. A dim green light filled his eye sockets and his jaw clacked experimentally. With some difficulty, Ellarie was able to ask her questions in halting Giant. "I worked for Namdrin Quinn and Ambrosia the Nymph. I did security and helped set up. They also had me kill people. I liked it. She'd seduce the drunkards as we toured the country, and I'd bring my axe down on their heads. I hate your kind."

"The one who killed me was some bitch in a flying bathtub. She hit me with a spell. Then blackness"

Silver Isle

"Oh," Stray chuckled. "Only the preeminent sorcerer in Andoran. I brought him up from nothing."

He rose, still clutching Kas' journal protectively. "Stay another night. Before you're off, I'll see if I can't track down that naughty hammer of yours, Yandeath."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-08-08 at 11:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Hammerhead

A genuine look of gratitude passed over Hammerhead's face as the offer to track down his hammer was made.

"Bless you, Stray."

He then turned to Cassandra.

"For what it's worth, in regards to the seals, I think it might be worth it to go to the college first. They may have useful information or resources regarding the seals."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie frowned as the Minotaur spoke of his hatred for humans.

"I'm liking this gent less and less as time goes by." As he went on to name his killer, Ell shook her head. She could not hope to begin unraveling that mystery. Bathtub? She turned back to Elias and rattled off her next two questions.

"Who is Ambrosia the Nymph and why is she going around killing people?"

"It's trees isn't it, I'm guessing the reason is trees." She muttered under her breath, she was developing an active dislike for fey folk.
    #Notallinfluencers

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"I had a beef with him from the start," Kiyoko muttered. She was the team's resident bad person. She was allowed to do that.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Very well." Cassandra nodded as the discussion seemed drawing to a close. "I have one small request, Your Grace. Return me to my normal state. It was a clever disguise, and I very much enjoyed the ability to fly at my leisure, but out of respect I wish to present my true self to Syntira."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

New Falcon's Hollow

"Ambrosia the nymph?" croaked the minotaur rhetorically. "She's a nymph. Blue skin. Black hair. Baba Yaga killed her boyfriend 'bout two thousand years ago. She's had it out for humans ever since. When she's not moping, she's killing. Gotta have a hobby. She hopes the conflict forces Andoran's hand. If it gets bad, the rest of the fey will follow her. Maybe. Make her queen or something."

Spoiler: EEK - XP
    Show
    200 XP each for questioning the minotaur

Almas

"That's the spirit!" Igneous made no attempt to contain his excitement and satisfaction. His wife remained cool as ever.

"Aid and discretion would be appreciated greatly, Alessandra. We can offer you five hundred sails for your trouble. If nothing's amiss, it's a substantial sum for easy work. If there's foul play, well, then there's profit and spoils in taking players off the board," said Branda.

The old man clapped his hammer with proud, nervous energy.

"Best start with Flinn's home. He's come into a lovely three story brownstone on the north side of town." Branda scribbled down the address. "And Dern Fosimuth. He may know something relevant. He may not. At any length, we'd like to get word to him about the situation. You could say you're his daughter, there for a visit?" She added the address of Mother's Care Home.

Spoiler: Alessandra - XP
    Show
    400 XP gained for accepting the quest!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her smirk at Kiki's jest was short lived as the Minotaur's answer sank in. Two thousand years old, Baba Yaga... this sounded worse than Ellarie had expected. A look of concern clouded her face which she turned back to Elias a final time.

"I want to ask, Where does Ambrosia go when she's sulking and not killing?"
    #Notallinfluencers

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

New Falcon's Hollow

The minotaur answered, "Her wagon," and was silent once more. Assuming Ambrosia's wagon must be one of the several left in a circle back at the fairgrounds, the party made a thorough search and found nothing. Either the authorities had already taken everything of interest or value, or Ambrosia had.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her brow crinkled in annoyance by the Minotaur's vague last answer, Ellarie stood with her hands on her hips and shrugged amidst the empty wagons.

"Oh well, time for those beers, Kiki? I could use a hot meal, myself. Maybe the inn will have a musician if we're lucky."
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"I'm for that." Kiyoko shrugged at the minotaur and turned, musing out loud, "Sulking or killing... tch. There were oni like that. Dreadfully dull. I like her plan, though - provoking Andoran, that is. It makes sense and is likely to establish the Fey as a permanent presence throughout a huge swath of forest."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle / Darkmoon Vale

On the second day, Stray returned from his outing with Last Word. He made no mention of where he'd located it or what he'd had to do to get it. He just laid it on its head by Hammerhead and walked away with the glimmer of an amused or self-assured grin.

As agreed, on the third day, Stray returned Cassandra to her human form and then teleported the party to meet Syntira. They arrived somewhere at the headwaters of the Darkmoon River, a small valley overlooked by the mountains to the north and surrounded on all sides by truly ancient darkwood trees whose roots and vines had woven together for form a wall. A three tier cascade could be seen at the north end of the small valley. The water drained to the south east, somewhere in a rocky pool that must have lead to an underground river. All around the land teamed with vibrant flora and completely unimpressed fauna. The enormous elk drinking from the pool merely glanced at the party once and then went back to what he was doing. Most of the valley was covered in a pleasant penumbra from the enormous trees and nearby a trio of nymphs sat in a circle, singing in a dream-like trance. The words were Sylvan, but thinking too long on the meaning of the song brought a tear to Cassandra's eye. Margot find herself momentarily dazed and unable to form a coherent thought. The sound soon faded to an ethereal, peaceful hum and the words were forgotten.

Stray had sensibly dressed for the occasion, wearing only his circlet and a simple linen shirt and trousers. Barefoot, the grass looked to curl around his toes on its own accord.

"Really can't guarantee that you won't go blind." He laughed, but he wasn't joking. "Still time to consider a blindfold."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-08-12 at 10:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra had dressed herself once more in her traveling noblewoman's clothing (though she had put away her furs by now), cleaned and mended from the wear it had picked up during her travels. She completed the outfit with her jewelry, and presented a picture that was sure to impress any ordinary noble receiving a delegation. Syntira's folk were anything but normal, however, and Cassandra felt her style and quantity of dress to be out of place. When they passed near the singing nymphs, Cassandra stood as if enthralled, listening to the almost painfully beautiful music and not wanting it to stop. As the sound faded, a deep feeling of loss welled up within her, and she sighed.

She gave a small start at Stray's comment. "I would consider it a small price for the experience, Your Grace," she responded quietly. "That I am permitted here if but once is a greater gift than I could ever hope to repay."

28. - Top - End - #178

Hammerhead

When Stray showed up with the Last Word, Hammerhead made his gratitude plain and clear.

"If you ever need anything, Stray, anything at all - I owe you one."

A day later, he was still running his hands carefully over the haft as he took a look around the glade. At Stray's suggestion of a blindfold, he perked up.

"I think I'll take one, if you're offering. Can't smack people if I'm blind - though hopefully I don't need to do that here."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Almas

"That's the spirit!" Igneous made no attempt to contain his excitement and satisfaction. His wife remained cool as ever.

"Aid and discretion would be appreciated greatly, Alessandra. We can offer you five hundred sails for your trouble. If nothing's amiss, it's a substantial sum for easy work. If there's foul play, well, then there's profit and spoils in taking players off the board," said Branda.

The old man clapped his hammer with proud, nervous energy.

"Best start with Flinn's home. He's come into a lovely three story brownstone on the north side of town." Branda scribbled down the address. "And Dern Fosimuth. He may know something relevant. He may not. At any length, we'd like to get word to him about the situation. You could say you're his daughter, there for a visit?" She added the address of Mother's Care Home.

Spoiler: Alessandra - XP
    Show
    400 XP gained for accepting the quest!

Almas

Alessandra nodded, mulling over the information. "That seems a sensible approach. Though...his daughter, you say? What can you tell me about her? I can only presume that the staff know who their regular visitors are."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Can I assume physical descriptions of the missing persons are included? It seems like a reasonable thing to ask for but am unsure if it's already implied somewhere.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Darkmoon Vale - Syntira's Demesne

"Oh, I can promise there will be no smacking," Stray said, leading the way towards the absurdly massive darkwood tree at the rear center of the valley. Its roots arced into the air, taller than a house, before plunging back into the river. In the water, something watched the party beneath a cascade of black hair, but when they drew closer it vanished beneath the surface.

"In addition to the fey rules of decorum, which I assure you are perfectly abstruse, the Queen's Demense is magically protected. Even if it wasn't, you'd have to go through him." Stray gave a nod forward to the base of the tree where there stood a winged figure. He had pointed elven ears, sharp cheek bones and stern eyes that were hard to meet beyond a quick glance. Either he wore a cloak of sable feathers, or else he had a pair of wings currently draping over his shoulders. He had bronze skin and the sharpness of his features made one think he'd been sculpted rather than born. Resting against the root archway beside him were a longsword and longbow, both darkwood themselves, but so fantastically shaped they must have been crafted in the First World.

"Stray," said the figure, ignoring the way the wind tousled his golden hair. There was a casual coldness in his voice. Clearly, he spoke in Common so his guests could hear the disdain.

Stray didn't correct him. "Is mom busy? She's not out creating new species of beetles, is she?"

The fey man tilted his head by a millimeter. "No. If you were curious, you could have scryed first. As one does."

"Oh don't be silly," Stray laughed, poking his finger slightly-too-hard into the autumnal leaf tunic that cover the guard's wooden darkwood mail. "I'm her favorite."

"You're really not."

"She loves all her children equally!"

"If it pleases you to think so. The women, the dwarf, what do they want?"

Stray stepped aside and gave Cassandra an expectant look. If the mortals were going anywhere, they'd have to plead their case.

Spoiler: Cassandra & Margot
    Show
    The guard is either an Erlking or a unique First World fey being.