New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How Would You Describe This Structure?

Here lately I’ve been dreaming about a freestanding reading room for my backyard—a single-room structure with enough space for bookshelves, a papasan, a small table, and a small loft for a futon. Since I’m dreaming, I’d also like to have a cozy deck on the roof for a telescope.

Plenty of windows for light will be essential, and a restroom would be ideal, something like the combined shower/toilet arrangement of an RV. In a lot of ways I’d like the basic RV package, just without wheels, engine, driver’s cab or the tacky awning. I don’t need to do any cooking, so there’s no need for any kind of stove, although a microwave could be handy.

Trouble is, I have no idea if something like this exists, or what to call it. What I have in mind is more substantial and comfortable than a gazebo, but not nearly as independent and tricked-out as the whole tiny-house concept. There are a lot of things called sunrooms, but they mainly seem to be glassed-in gazebos, without the small loft, restroom and telescope deck I’d love to include.

Can anyone put a name to what I’m dreaming of? Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How Would You Describe This Structure?

The structure you are thinking of is called a Sun Room.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, a summerhouse is most of what you want. I'd call it a summerhouse with a widow's walk and a restroom; I've heard of things like this, but most people don't want to put up with running plumbing out to a whole different structure when they can just walk inside to an existing bathroom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I dunno. A sun room is basically like a greenhouse room, which is not at all what is being described.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yes they exist. Both with and without wheels.

Not far from my house you can find lots of plans and "how-to-buld" guidea for "sheds" and "tiny houses" at Builders Booksource on 4th Street in Berkeley.

If you live "Where be Dragons" (most of the world), and you can't get there, you can check out:

https://www.fourlightshouses.com/

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

(plans and pre-fab material).

While I did some roofing and masonry work with my Dad in the 1970's and 80's, those skills are forgotten by me, and except for re-building my yard's fence, all I know is plumbing.

I believe that AMFV is the most skillful builder at this Forum.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the confusion was over what exactly was meant by a "lot of windows" to me that sounds like a sun room which would be good for reading.

And while I am a carpenter I do very different kinds of construction. Like more bridges and dams and less sun rooms or summer houses.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

...while I am a carpenter I do very different kinds of construction. Like more bridges and dams and less sun rooms or summer houses.

It's not too late to develop those skills AMFV!

I spent 9/10th of my plumbing apprenticeship drilling anchors for "process piping" supports in the chip plants, and I didn't do or learn much of "real" plumbing until after I turned out as a Journeyman.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Isn't it a pavilion?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    It's not too late to develop those skills AMFV!

I spent 9/10th of my plumbing apprenticeship drilling anchors for "process piping" supports in the chip plants, and I didn't do or learn much of "real" plumbing until after I turned out as a Journeyman.
    Why would I ever want to give up bridges? And I'd have to go to a field where I'd have to be actually accurate all the time and worry about that eight or sixteenth I'm off, instead of one where that rarely matters. And instead of making things that could last for centuries, I'd be making things that definitely would not last for those years.

Also a lot of problems you might have in terms of naming the structure is that people call things a lot of different things. I would suggest finding pictures of similar structures and seeing if you can find something that has been done that's similar.

Edit: Also for what you're discussing it sounds like you might be well off like coming with a design or plan for it. It sounds like a shed with big windows. Which isn't very glamorous sounding, but that's really what you want, a shed sized building with a loft and windows. There are shed designs and plans that would work for that, or you could look at the tiny houses and see where you can cut things out that you don't want if you can find a plan that you like.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2017-07-16 at 10:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Why would I ever want to give up bridges?...

You really don't, you may just want to re-name what you do (if even that).

I learned to call myself a "pipefitter" instead of a plumber to avoid people asking me about their bathtubs. Even now that I do more "regular" plumbing I have to explain to the cheapskate bailiffs that the parts I keep for the HOJ are different than what they need for their houses (if the City really wanted to save money they'd stop hiring property owners!).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The term I would use (beware, I am British, no idea whether the term exist in American) is an "Annex" - Sun Room (or Garden Room) would fit for just the singular glazed sitting room, but by adding in the washroom and potentially having a kitchenette, it becomes a bit more than that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sounds kind of like an adult sized playhouse to me, although that may not be a particularly helpful description. When I was a kid, one of my friends had a AWESOME playhouse in her backyard. Her dad wanted a freestanding toolshed, and she wanted a playhouse, so he built a two-story structure with tool storage on the ground level, and then an outside staircase to the upper level, which was a one-room playhouse with a door, a real window, and an electric light (it even had a tiny attic). It didn't have plumbing or a heat source, though. I have no idea what they used it for once the kids were older, but it was a great place to hang out in elementary school.

My cousin's dad later built her a one-level playhouse which he turned into a tool shed when she outgrew it. I know it had doors and windows, but I no longer remember if it had electricity.

If it's going to be plumbed and livable and everything, we call them Accessory Dwelling Units here. If you were to build such a thing and are allowed to do so by zoning, it would probably make sense to have a section wired and plumbed with the stubs to become a kitchen later in case you or a future owner wanted to turn it into a studio apartment.

Hmm..."freestanding studio" might be another good set of words to use to describe this.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing to keep in mind is that adding plumbing is going to make the structure a GREAT deal more costly. Like thousands and thousands of dollars more depending on how your plumbing lines run. And it's going to involve a mess of code. That's why generally in sheds like that people tend to avoid putting plumbing in there, because it makes the structure more legally involved. Also it may seriously affect your taxes depending on where you live. Like it may count as a residence, which could have some pretty serious zoning implications or could result in you being taxed differently.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

One thing to keep in mind is that adding plumbing is going to make the structure a GREAT deal more costly. Like thousands and thousands of dollars more depending on how your plumbing lines run. And it's going to involve a mess of code. That's why generally in sheds like that people tend to avoid putting plumbing in there, because it makes the structure more legally involved. Also it may seriously affect your taxes depending on where you live. Like it may count as a residence, which could have some pretty serious zoning implications or could result in you being taxed differently.
    Yeah, if someone asked me to plumb a summerhouse (or whatever we're calling it. I've been feeling like there's a word for it in French that's on the tip of my tongue) I'd be like... no. Maybe some kind of chemical/composting toilet might be more viable?

Electricity wouldn't be so bad (legal issues aside), if you put a solar panel on the roof or something you might not even need to connect it to the mains.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-07-18 at 05:46 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Trouble is, I have no idea if something like this exists, or what to call it. What I have in mind is more substantial and comfortable than a gazebo, but not nearly as independent and tricked-out as the whole tiny-house concept. There are a lot of things called sunrooms, but they mainly seem to be glassed-in gazebos, without the small loft, restroom and telescope deck I’d love to include.

Can anyone put a name to what I’m dreaming of? Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?
    Over here it would probably be called a Summer House. Which is basically a shed with a bit more space and maybe a few amenities. (People will probably still call it a shed).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I'd call it a clubhouse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

A few thoughts and comments:

Originally Posted by AMFV
    Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond
    A sun room is basically like a greenhouse room, which is not at all what is being described.
    Originally Posted by Trekkin
    I'd call it a summerhouse with a widow's walk and a restroom….
    I have to agree that “sun room” doesn’t really fit what I’m thinking of, whereas “summerhouse” seems to be on the right track.

Originally Posted by 2D8HP
    Not far from my house you can find lots of plans and "how-to-buld" guidea for "sheds" and "tiny houses" at Builders Booksource on 4th Street in Berkeley.
    That sounds like a cool bookstore to browse in, thanks. For the first time in my life, I’m briefly envious of someone living in San Francisco.

As for the other items, I appreciate the links, but tiny-house isn’t the direction I’m thinking. Could be good for incidental ideas, though.

It sounds like a shed with big windows. Which isn't very glamorous sounding, but that's really what you want, a shed sized building with a loft and windows.
    It would be roughly shed-sized, but I’m dreaming of something a little more polished.

Originally Posted by Glorthindel
    The term I would use (beware, I am British, no idea whether the term exist in American) is an "Annex" - Sun Room (or Garden Room) would fit for just the singular glazed sitting room, but by adding in the washroom and potentially having a kitchenette, it becomes a bit more than that.
    Interesting, thanks. What I’m dreaming of would be freestanding, though, so it wouldn’t be an add-on; it would need to have all four walls of its own, rather than sharing one wall with an existing structure.

Also, definitely no kitchenette. A microwave at most, for hot chocolate on snowy days.

Originally Posted by Algeh
    Hmm..."freestanding studio" might be another good set of words to use to describe this.
    For some reason this gets me tons and tons of fireplaces.

However, it also gives me some freestanding units that do look a lot like what I was thinking of, so that’s a good term to pursue.

Originally Posted by Algeh
    If you were to build such a thing and are allowed to do so by zoning, it would probably make sense to have a section wired and plumbed with the stubs to become a kitchen later in case you or a future owner wanted to turn it into a studio apartment.
    I hear you on all of this, and plumbing would definitely be a major complication. Apart from everything you’ve mentioned—all of which is quite valid—I’m also living in the Chesapeake watershed, so there’s another layer of regulations on top of it all. Some of my neighbors have had spectacular issues just putting in sheds with electricity.

Part of the reason why I wanted to include a small restroom is because, since I’m dreaming, I’d also like to use this as a gaming room, since my current living situation doesn’t allow for gaming space in the main residence. It would be a lot more convenient to have a restroom for quick breaks in the same unit, rather than having people tromp back and forth into the main residence. But yes, more expensive and more complicated.

Originally Posted by druid91
    Personally I'd call it a clubhouse.
    That term seems to bring up a lot of truly huge, country-club-ish structures, things costing millions upon millions. Not sure if it works here.

For me, however, “clubhouse” evokes Calvin & Hobbes, and that aspect certainly fits the spirit.

Last edited by Palanan; 2017-07-18 at 10:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Try searching for the term ''Shed Clubhouse.'' It seems to be, looking at a quick google image search, the thing you are looking for.
    Not sure if the indoors parts resonate with your idea.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I hear you on all of this, and plumbing would definitely be a major complication. Apart from everything you’ve mentioned—all of which is quite valid—I’m also living in the Chesapeake watershed, so there’s another layer of regulations on top of it all. Some of my neighbors have had spectacular issues just putting in sheds with electricity.

Part of the reason why I wanted to include a small restroom is because, since I’m dreaming, I’d also like to use this as a gaming room, since my current living situation doesn’t allow for gaming space in the main residence. It would be a lot more convenient to have a restroom for quick breaks in the same unit, rather than having people tromp back and forth into the main residence. But yes, more expensive and more complicated.
    *waves from MD Eastern Shore*

So, step 1 is checking out your county regulations. These vary depending on where you are, but there's generally a minimal size in square footage, below which, you don't need permits. Figure out what your local rules are so you're good, and then aim from there.

A lotta things that seem like okay starting points come up on searches like "wood storage shed", via home depot or the like. They're not *exactly* what you want, but add a few windows, some interior finishing, sure. Be sure to check the height, as some things intended primarily for storage may be a bit short for comfort. Small garage kits may also work. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Best-Barn...1216/202689297 would probably do. Add a wood floor, interior lights, finish the walls, replace the garage door with a window or another door, and you've got a decent gaming place.

Metal sheds would be cheaper, but will generally be farther from what you want. More just an outer shell to keep storage dry, less a place to be in.

If your plan becomes too grandiose, it may be cheaper to do a small addition to your home. Saves one wall, at least.

More finished plans exist, but the price does go up pretty rapidly as you get into tiny house areas: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Studio-Sh...97-8/301778430
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2017-07-19 at 10:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The fairly generic term "Outbuilding" is probably the best fit for the object described. Actually searching for it isn't going to be particularly helpful, mostly because it's incredibly generic.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Just "Google", "small cabin" or "shed" kits, plans, or the book "Compact Cabins"

In the meantime, how about a hobbit hole?

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Not exactly what you are talking about, but I've seen and read about plenty of properties with home studios that were separate buildings, complete with a bathroom/kitchenette.

My greatest concern with this project would be moisture, depending on where you live. You'll need to keep an eye on the other structure to make sure that conditions are good for the books. A smaller place that you aren't in 100% could also have pest that will wreck the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.