New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Other Ways to Get Shadow Jump?

Are there other ways to get the shadow jump ability, from the Telflammar Shadowlord PrC, apart from going into the PrC itself?

I’m interested in either replicating shadow jump or finding an equivalent ability to travel instantly between shadows, and I’m open to all official content from 3.5 and Pathfinder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Other Ways to Get Shadow Jump?

For 3.5 you also have the Crinti Shadow Marauder and Shadowdancer PrC.

Pathfinder has Shadowdancer as well, with some improvements.
    I felt like there was an option for this as a Rogue talent/archetype added in Blood of Shadows or something similar, but I'm having trouble finding it.

EDIT: I believe I was thinking of the Shadow Scion rogue archetype in Legacy of the First World (Pathfinder Player Companion), with the ability "Shadow Step". That ability, however, does not actually relate to jumping from shadows to shadows, but traveling through the Shadow Plane and does not require starting or ending in a shadow.
    Last edited by Xethik; 2017-07-16 at 02:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Will Shadow Jaunt and the follow-up maneuvers work?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Are there other ways to get the shadow jump ability, from the Telflammar Shadowlord PrC, apart from going into the PrC itself?

I’m interested in either replicating shadow jump or finding an equivalent ability to travel instantly between shadows, and I’m open to all official content from 3.5 and Pathfinder.
    Well, Shadow Jump is 'as dimension door', so Sorcerors, Wizards, Bards, Clerics of the Travel domain, Archivists (copying one of the former), Factotum, Totemists, and maybe a few others, can emulate the ability. Swordsages can acquire a very similar ability ability to Teleport around. Monks have the ability so simulate Dimension Door a few days when you've invested way too many levels into the class. Shadowdancer PRC has a completely identical ability to the Shadowlord's.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Is this for the purpose of using shadow pounce as well?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    if it is, the blink shirt also gives a dimdoor effect, and is much easier to get on a character
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Xethik
    I believe I was thinking of the Shadow Scion rogue archetype in Legacy of the First World (Pathfinder Player Companion), with the ability "Shadow Step".
    Okay, thanks—it looks like this is based on the Shadow Step spell.

Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant
    Will Shadow Jaunt and the follow-up maneuvers work?
    My first instinct would be no, since I’m not a ToB fan.

However, this essentially does what I want it to, and it seems to come online fairly early—maybe third or fourth level?

Originally Posted by Manyasone
    Actually, no.

I’m working up a shadow-themed race, and I’d like some version of shadow jump to be a racial ability. I’m trying to get a sense of where shadow jump falls on the scale of abilities and when it typically comes online.

With PrCs or archetypes, that seems to be roughly around eighth level or so. That’s way too late for my purposes, since I’d like to use this on first-level members of this race.

Would a 1/day shadow jump be enough to require an increase in CR? Or would it be less powerful, something that could be swapped for another racial ability?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

My first instinct would be no, since I’m not a ToB fan.

However, this essentially does what I want it to, and it seems to come online fairly early—maybe third or fourth level?
    If you're not taking levels in an initiator class, you can take Shadow Jaunt (50 ft teleport as a standard cation) at 6th level with the martial study feat. You can take shadow stride(50 ft teleport as a move action) at 18th level with the martial study feat, while the swift action variant is outside of your reach, unless you get epic levels.

The maneuvers are 2nd, 5th and 7th level respectively, which means you need an initiator level of 3rd, 9th and 13th to get them, and levels in a non-initiator class count as half.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2017-07-19 at 04:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Let's see, racial abilities like this are usually equivalent to a feat. So probably the easiest option is to replicate the effects of the Shape Soulmeld(Blink Shirt) feat (which is obtainable at 1st level). This gives you at-will, 10 ft. teleportation as a standard action. Is there a specific distance or usage per day you'd like to impose? Because you could probably scale up the distance of the racial ability if you limit its use in some way.

Some other options:
    There's a reserve feat in Complete Mage that lets you teleport 5ft. per spell level of your highest level prepared [Teleportation] spell, but that requires spellcasting, and I think at least 4th level spells before it's available.

There's a 2nd level spell in the PHBII called Dimension Hop, but has similar issues.

There's the Abrupt Jaunt Alternate Class Feature for Wizards, but again, requires a spellcaster.

There's the Jaunter prestige class in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits that has some mechanics you might be able to crib.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-07-18 at 03:44 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Deadline
    Is there a specific distance or usage per day you'd like to impose? Because you could probably scale up the distance of the racial ability if you limit its use in some way.
    At-will is too much for what I had in mind, and ten feet is a little on the short side.

So, I’d like it to be a slightly longer distance, maybe 20-30 feet, and I’m thinking maybe 1+ Wis mod per day. Does that more or less even out? Would this work out to a racial ability equal to a bonus feat?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

At-will is too much for what I had in mind, and ten feet is a little on the short side.

So, I’d like it to be a slightly longer distance, maybe 20-30 feet, and I’m thinking maybe 1+ Wis mod per day. Does that more or less even out? Would this work out to a racial ability equal to a bonus feat?
    Seems reasonable to me, especially if you limit it to jumping between shadows.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding