New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Giant in the Courthouse

Is there a law, fallacy, or other term that talks about people telling me to do something more optimal when I specifically said I wanted something else?

If not, making it now.

DXC's Razor: If a person says he knows that a build choice is unoptimal but they want to do so anyways, then give them advice that makes the choice better, not advice on picking something better.

Because some people barely read the OP, let alone respect my choices.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2017-07-25 at 03:33 AM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Is there a law, fallacy, or other term that talks about people telling me to do something more optimal when I specifically said I wanted something else?

If not, making it now.

DXC's Razor: If a person says he knows that a build choice is unoptimal but they want to do so anyways, then give them advice that makes the choice better, not advice on picking something better.

Because some people barely read the OP, let alone respect my choices.
    The optimization fallacy: The belief that the best choice for a character is always the most optimized one.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    The optimization fallacy: The belief that the best choice for a character is always the most optimized one.
    Yeah. Either way, could this be added?(I think that DXC's Razor sounds cooler and it's named after me, but if "optimization fallacy" has already been used...)

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #124

RogueGuy

Yeah. Either way, could this be added?(I think that DXC's Razor sounds cooler and it's named after me, but if "optimization fallacy" has already been used...)
    No I just made that up, I just think naming something after yourself is kind of gauche.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

No I just made that up, I just think naming something after yourself is kind of gauche.
    There are currently three terms named after someone at the very least; Grog's Law, the Snowbluff Axiom, and Waker's Law. No, I'm not quite as experienced as them, but I've seen enough of what I mentioned to make that.

Also, mine is a "razor", which is a rule of thumb, and your term is a "fallacy". They talk about the same thing, but have different points. Of course, the choice is entirely up to Waker, so let's wait for him.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

There are currently three terms named after someone at the very least; Grog's Law, the Snowbluff Axiom, and Waker's Law. No, I'm not quite as experienced as them, but I've seen enough of what I mentioned to make that.
    Along with Oberani and Stormwind.

EDIT: Grog's Law sounds like part of the pirate code. "Thou Shalt Give Your Crew The Cheapest Drink, But Yea, In Abundance."
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-07-25 at 09:17 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #127

RogueGuy

Also, mine is a "razor", which is a rule of thumb, and your term is a "fallacy". They talk about the same thing, but have different points. Of course, the choice is entirely up to Waker, so let's wait for him.
    To be clear, I have no dog in this fight and don't care at all whether either of those things gets added to this post. However, you are certainly not the first person to realize or vocalize that it is annoying to ask for something and then have people tell you they know better than you and you don't want that thing, you want something else.

I mostly think this thread is an exercise in self-aggrandizement.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Along with Oberani and Stormwind.

EDIT: Grog's Law sounds like part of the pirate code. "Thou Shalt Give Your Crew The Cheapest Drink, But Yea, In Abundance."
    Oh, those were names too? Didn't know that.

To be clear, I have no dog in this fight and don't care at all whether either of those things gets added to this post. However, you are certainly not the first person to realize or vocalize that it is annoying to ask for something and then have people tell you they know better than you and you don't want that thing, you want something else.

Yeah now that I think of it I was being a bit annoying and egoistic. Still think that the idea itself is worth mentioning though.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Here's an axiom for you. I've been giving this advice for quite a few years, and haven't seen anyone cite it. Call it Tel's Axiom if you want:

You should not try to solve out-of-character problems with in-character solutions.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Well, no. If it were science we hadn't learned yet then it would work when we tried to do it in real life (and I'm sure at least a few kids have seriously attempted to teleport Shadow Jaunt style). The difference is that until fairly recently, the photoelectric effect was science we hadn't learned yet but it still happened when someone shone a light on an electrified plate. Magic is stuff that never works and never will.
    Side note on this one - reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" to my daughter recently, and came across this gem.

And after dinner the Magician did a very useful and beautiful piece of magic. He laid two blank sheets of parchment on the table and asked Drinian to give him an exact account of their voyage up to date: and as Drinian spoke, everything he described came out on the parchment in fine clear lines till at last each sheet was a splendid map of the Eastern Ocean, showing Galma, Terebinthia, the Seven Isles, the Lone Islands, Dragon Island, Burnt Island, Deathwater, and the land of the Duffers itself, all exactly the right sizes and in the right positions. They were the first maps ever made of those seas and better than any that have been made since without Magic. For on these, though the towns and mountains looked at first just as they would on an ordinary map, yet when the Magician lent them a magnifying glass you saw that they were perfect little pictures of the real things, so that you could see the very castle and slave market and streets in Narrowhaven, all very clear though very distant, like things seen through the wrong end of a telescope.
    Seems a lot less magical now that we have Google Maps.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

I always liked this little gem from Steven Brust (the Vlad Taltos series): “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”

I've seen more than my share of super optimized caster PCs that had some weakness in their build that stared out at you like the exhaust port in a moon-sized imperial battle station.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that is definitely something that I've observed a lot here on these forums.

Grog's Law sounds like part of the pirate code. "Thou Shalt Give Your Crew The Cheapest Drink, But Yea, In Abundance."
    Grog's Law has always been more of what you would call a guideline rather than a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Call it Tel's Axiom if you want:

You should not try to solve out-of-character problems with in-character solutions.
    And that's another one I've seen every time a poster asks what to do with a toxic party or a jerky DM/player.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    Pretty sure that's covered by the Oberoni Falacy.
    That's not exactly what I was referring to. The Oberoni Fallacy says, that a possible fix of a flaw through Rule-0 doesn't change the fact that the game was flawed in the first place.

What instead I was meaning, is that very often ridiculous in-game events happen, because the DM hasn't followed a standard rule which worked in the first place, with the well-known consequence, that the players weren't anymore in the position of chosing the right course-of-actions. Or, if they would, the consequences of said course-of-actions would be anyhow screwed up by the DM, in case he would arbitrarily resolve it ignoring the rules, the common sense and the verisimilitude.

In many places, especially in RL or on socials (e.g. FB), I hear funny stories of "dumb role-players" and their epic fails where, in most of the cases, the DM's twisted existing rules or improptu created new ones - either because they wanted to railroad the event, or in the name of a rule-of-cool they alone could see, or simply because they were dumb DM's. And, worthless to say, those who champions the thesis of the dumb role-player instead, will always defend him in saying "it's his right, he's the master, he may change the rules whenever he sees fit". Which is a fallacy, in this case (probably more related to "but, Dragons", rather that to "Oberoni fallacy").

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

My clue was when the original post contained a law named after the thread maker which I had never actually heard anyone reference and included it in the list of references that have stood the test of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    My clue was when the original post contained a law named after the thread maker which I had never actually heard anyone reference and included it in the list of references that have stood the test of time.
    Fine, I'll pay attention to your complaints.
    As I said right at the beginning, my purpose for making this thread was to consolidate the various frequently used opinions that people reference when they talk about things on a gaming forum. And yes, they are opinions, not set in stone provable facts. On the previous page, there were people arguing about the "Guy at the Gym" and "Oberoni" fallacies, despite them having been around for years. You both seem to have the belief that I'm trying to become famous or otherwise stroke my ego by posting a law with my name on it. How would I accomplish this? By dropping the name in other threads or at the very least putting it in my signature? Anyone can see that I haven't done so, so just maybe I'm not trying to score internet groupies. Hell, you guys have done more advertising for it than I have.
    As to why no one has ever referenced it before is because until this thread I never bothered to put a name to it even if I have otherwise stated it.
    The rules of D&D exist to give a framework for what a character can do in any given situation. Having ranks in Move Silently lets a character sneak about unnoticed, and the spell Fly obviously details rules on how a character can fly about. Conversely it also limits what a character can do. I might claim my character is a world-class swordsman, but if I don't have the right proficiency or have a bad BAB progression, the concept doesn't hold up. When you design a character, your character concept needs to adhere to the rules as allowed by the aspects of a character's racial and class abilities.
    Taken from a thread earlier this month.
    I've said it many times in many threads, but I'm a pretty easy going guy when it comes to fluff. There is one thing that is very important to me though and that is that fluff must be supported or at least not contradicted by mechanics. Regardless of how I try to spin it, if my character has crappy BAB and no proficiencies, he ain't gonna be some amazing swordsman. Rangers can fulfill a number of concepts be they bounty hunters, army scouts or rangers (as in, one who protects a forest, countryside etc.) Rogues can be thieves, thief-catchers, spies, assassins... I could go on with the other classes, but you probably get my idea. The class features, skills and other facets of the class support the concept.
    Taken from a thread two months ago.
    Even if I've never bothered to call it "Waker's Law" before, it is a concept that has existed for some time. If people decide to use it as shorthand for an argument, that's fine. If they don't, that's also fine. As strange as this concept may seem to some, but the adoration of people I am likely to never meet has no real bearing on my self-worth.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #136

SamuraiGuy

I think this is an interesting resource, and if I may, I would like to add a Fallacy, or more specifically codify one that has been explored by the Order of the Stick itself, ever since we met Miko in the comics and compared them to O'chul and other paladins, this fallacy applies to anything with the same stigma with crunch/fluff that seem leery in a players hands, such as the Kender race and those who have misgivings with them. I call it:

The Paladin/Kender Fallacy: The portrayal of a character with restrictive/disruptive fluff and/or crunch, does not mean they exist only to restrict and/or disrupt games. Stories can be enriched by them by those who wish to try as easily as they can be disrupted by those who try equally to do so.

It could be seen as an addendum to Tel's Axiom which is fine, because usually problematic classes/races/etc are chosen by people who wish to be problematic. But with that said, the core of the Fallacy is that just because a Paladin has to be LG does not make it a straight jacket of actions, nor does not mean he holds the party's reins, and just as a Kender is disruptive by it's existence, does not mean that they cannot add to a story in some way if they player works with his party to do so.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2017-07-25 at 06:43 PM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"No game is better than bad game." That's the typical formatting, though it's clearer as something like "Not playing at all is better than playing in a bad game."

Call it the Bad Game Guideline? Definitely not claiming it as my own -- that'd be hypocritical, given how many times I've violated it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    The Paladin/Kender Fallacy: The portrayal of a character with restrictive/disruptive fluff and/or crunch, does not mean they exist only to restrict and/or disrupt games. Stories can be enriched by them by those who wish to try as easily as they can be disrupted by those who try equally to do so.
    That could be an addendum to The Giant's commentary on the responsibility of the player to determine how her character should act for the good of the game before stating 'but that's what my character would do!'.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2017-07-25 at 07:47 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #138

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Even if I've never bothered to call it "Waker's Law" before, it is a concept that has existed for some time. If people decide to use it as shorthand for an argument, that's fine. If they don't, that's also fine. As strange as this concept may seem to some, but the adoration of people I am likely to never meet has no real bearing on my self-worth.
    Look man, it is clearly bad form to try to name something after yourself.

Now please note that as I say that I am being mostly humorous. While I do think it's bad form, I don't think it's terrible or that you necessarily are trying to get attention. However, it DOES come off a little douchey, and so I'm going to make jokes about it because to be honest, that's just who I am. That combined with the fact that I think a lot of the things people call "fallacies" when it comes to this stuff do not even come close to meeting the criteria for a fallacy means that I'm going to poke fun at this entire thread.

Please don't take it super personally. This is literally an argument about arguments about fantasy made up characters. It's as far from serious as it can be.

19. - Top - End - #139

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    "No game is better than bad game." That's the typical formatting, though it's clearer as something like "Not playing at all is better than playing in a bad game."

Call it the Bad Game Guideline? Definitely not claiming it as my own -- that'd be hypocritical, given how many times I've violated it.

That could be an addendum to The Giant's commentary on the responsibility of the player to determine how her character should act for the good of the game before stating 'but that's what my character would do!'.
    So shall we codify both then?

The Giant's Law: It is the responsibility of the player to determine how her character should act for the good of the game before stating 'but that's what my character would do!'.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

The Giant's Law: It is the responsibility of the player to determine how her character should act for the good of the game before stating 'but that's what my character would do!'.
    That sounds right.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

I shall add The Giant's Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    And I'll put in the Bad Game Guideline.

Look man, it is clearly bad form to try to name something after yourself.
    I'm less concerned with form. If I could had come up with a descriptive name for the law, I would have used that. However I am notoriously lazy and the path of least resistance led to the name "Waker's Law".
    Last edited by Waker; 2017-07-25 at 09:15 PM.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142

"Selectively building a character to deal with a specific challenge proves nothing about the viability of a class."

I believe this is Schrodinger's Fighter, but I could be wrong.
    The False Balance Fallacy

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    "Selectively building a character to deal with a specific challenge proves nothing about the viability of a class."

I think it's Schrodinger's [Insert Class Here], actually.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I will add Schrodinger's [Insert Class Here] Fallacy.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

"Schrodinger's Build"?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    "Schrodinger's Build"?
    Actually, I think "Heisenberg's Build" might be more appropriate.

Here's an attempt:
    "When evaluating the capabilities of a class, a sample character with a continually changing build in response to challenges cannot be treated as capable against all challenges if some changes would significantly impede their ability to deal with the former challenges."

It's common sense, but I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-07-30 at 12:52 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    Nope. Everything with "Schrödinger" in its name are (class) builds that are flexible enough to be changed on the fly to fit the current situation. Schrödingers Fighter is the one that can swap feats on the fly, Schrödingers Wizard can swap prepared spells, and so on.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Actually, I think "Heisenberg's Build" might be more appropriate.
    It may be, but more people are familiar with schrodinger's cat than heisenburg's uncertainty.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Introduced first in 1927, by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, it states that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.
    I'm not really sure that applies to the situation, though I'm sure we can come up with something for it.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    I'm not really sure that applies to the situation, though I'm sure we can come up with something for it.
    It's similar to schrodinger (they're related physical concepts).

The Schrodinger equation is used to find the allowed energy levels of quantum mechanical systems (such as atoms, or transistors). The associated wavefunction gives the probability of finding the particle at a certain position.
    While heisenburg's principle offers a relation in the certainty of position and momentum, schrodinger's equation actually defines that same relationship for a given set reference.

My point being that either name is just about equally applicable as a metaphor in talking about building characters for an RPG. Because either way, it's a metaphor describing the seemingly quantum behavior of character possibility, probability, and uncertainty.