New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Just realized Marten's taking backstage in what used to be his comic. That's kind of in-character for him, funnily enough...

Also, his last bubble nearly killed me. "The door..." Oh Jeph. Also, the Threat Evaluation Protocol...does she have one for everyone?
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Probably part of her base programming.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

He's got the Pancake Flip technique down pretty good!

Also, of course Hanners would have a cupboard full of various soaps. Of course.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

He probably downloaded an app.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So maybe the guy that was worried about being accosted by alligators shouldn't be so dismissive of the girl worried about criminal breakfast makers.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    So maybe the guy that was worried about being accosted by alligators shouldn't be so dismissive of the girl worried about criminal breakfast makers.
    I'm half expecting Barry to be making waffles in Martin's appartment
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    Yes, but in his mind the alligators were a very valid concern, while criminal breakfast makers never entered his mind so it seems silly.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Also, of course Hanners would have a cupboard full of various soaps. Of course.
    Not just a cupboard - it looks like a huge industrial-grade storage cabinet. Hanners could probably sleep in the thing if she curled up.

9. - Top - End - #429

"It's psychosomatic."

Interesting. To what extent are QC-verse robots integrated with their bodies? Momo and Winslow both adjusted to their new bodies very easily, not seeming disoriented at all. But Roko's mind is well enough habituated to her body that it will conjure up physical sensations which map perfectly to how she's actually built.

In a related question, how much do robots identify with their bodies? Having "body stores" seems to indicate that their bodies are at least somewhat impersonal to them. On the other hand, I seem to recall Bubbles explaining that her body has partially shaped the way she feels about herself.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    "It's psychosomatic."

Interesting. To what extent are QC-verse robots integrated with their bodies? Momo and Winslow both adjusted to their new bodies very easily, not seeming disoriented at all. But Roko's mind is well enough habituated to her body that it will conjure up physical sensations which map perfectly to how she's actually built.

In a related question, how much do robots identify with their bodies? Having "body stores" seems to indicate that their bodies are at least somewhat impersonal to them. On the other hand, I seem to recall Bubbles explaining that her body has partially shaped the way she feels about herself.
    If I recall correctly, it's specifically more how others reacted to her body that has shaped the way she feels about herself.

To clarify, a person who has esteem issues related to their weight may have developed those as a result of watching how society interacts with the overweight without ever having them specifically directed at them personally. Bubbles issues related to her body appear to be a direct result of people's specific reactions to HER.

A large point of her development with Faye is overcoming that.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    If I recall correctly, it's specifically more how others reacted to her body that has shaped the way she feels about herself.

To clarify, a person who has esteem issues related to their weight may have developed those as a result of watching how society interacts with the overweight without ever having them specifically directed at them personally. Bubbles issues related to her body appear to be a direct result of people's specific reactions to HER.

A large point of her development with Faye is overcoming that.
    Hmm, that makes a lot of sense.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't they still have those scented candles that May brought them? :)

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, Roko, they're not CONVICTED criminals...

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Don't they still have those scented candles that May brought them? :)
    It would appear Bubbles did not like May's choices.

It's too bad they don't have a pot of tea there. They could serve her some and see if she has the same reaction as before. Definitely a few kinks in the Lady Robocop's psyche.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Firbolg in the Playground

That was very thorough and taughtful, Bubble.

16. - Top - End - #436

That is very shallow and rude, Faye

17. - Top - End - #437
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    That is very shallow and rude, Faye
    Faye's bedside manners are worse than Dr. Mengele's.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I get the feeling Faye doesn't like Roko too much. And I definitely get the feeling that she likes her needling, trolling, and gloating a lot more than is optimal for a customer-facing position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I get the feeling Faye doesn't like Roko too much. And I definitely get the feeling that she likes her needling, trolling, and gloating a lot more than is optimal for a customer-facing position.
    It's the least believable part of her character. RL Faye wouldn't last long in normal social environment, or on the workplace, because she is a toxic person, be it her fault or not, with self-destructive tendencies that reverberate on others through bullying, violent, and alienating behaviour.

Honestly, the only jobs I can think of that would fit her are being a shepherd or the guardian of a dam on some isolated mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's the least believable part of her character. RL Faye wouldn't last long in normal social environment, or on the workplace, because she is a toxic person, be it her fault or not, with self-destructive tendencies that reverberate on others through bullying, violent, and alienating behaviour.

Honestly, the only jobs I can think of that would fit her are being a shepherd or the guardian of a dam on some isolated mountain.
    Its been pointed out several times that Marty is really the only reason she isn't just a drunk homeless bub on the streets with no friends or family, because he can take her abuse well enough to get the actually tolerable parts of her personality.

Having said that, the fact that she doesn't work for a big company with red tape and company policies and a big corporate bottom line gives her a lot more leeway. She only needs to convince Dora, her friend, not to fire her, which is significantly easier than working through all the red tape and lawyers or a full on corporation.

Evidently not easy enough, but easier, nonetheless.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #442
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its been pointed out several times that Marty is really the only reason she isn't just a drunk homeless bub on the streets with no friends or family, because he can take her abuse well enough to get the actually tolerable parts of her personality.

Having said that, the fact that she doesn't work for a big company with red tape and company policies and a big corporate bottom line gives her a lot more leeway. She only needs to convince Dora, her friend, not to fire her, which is significantly easier than working through all the red tape and lawyers or a full on corporation.

Evidently not easy enough, but easier, nonetheless.
    Considering she went from working a job where her behavior is not just tolerated but how dora wanted the place to be run, and now is basically self employed with only her partner who is well aware of her personality to deal with, its understandable how she has gotten this far. She only got fired for being a drunken wreck while she was in a pretty bad place from what little I recall.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #443

NecromancerGuy

Huh. I forgot pretty much everyone used to be super skinny. It actually took me longer than it should have to recognize Faye.

As for Faye getting where she has . . . It helps that she was able to find a roommate as easy to push around as Martin. She might have had some trouble if she kept trying to find affordable places where would be roomies actually had some backbone.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It may just be the black shirt, but Faye really looks like Marigold in that last panel.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Huh. I forgot pretty much everyone used to be super skinny. It actually took me longer than it should have to recognize Faye.

As for Faye getting where she has . . . It helps that she was able to find a roommate as easy to push around as Martin. She might have had some trouble if she kept trying to find affordable places where would be roomies actually had some backbone.
    As his art style changed, he went from everyone being cartoonishly skinny, to sort of medium, to many of the characters who were average-build as represented in his middle stage becoming chunky in some way in the last few years.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder what tea that is. I wonder what would happen to an AI who sniffed Lapsang Souchong. And I wonder why Emily isn't the one taking notes, she's the one familiar with robot internal imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    To be fair, she did much the same thing to May when they were replacing her face.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    As his art style changed, he went from everyone being cartoonishly skinny, to sort of medium, to many of the characters who were average-build as represented in his middle stage becoming chunky in some way in the last few years.
    In art, as in real life for most of us.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I wonder what tea that is. I wonder what would happen to an AI who sniffed Lapsang Souchong.
    What about *shudder* Earl Grey? Oolong might be nice, there are many nice Chinese teas.

In art, as in real life for most of us.
    There are required calorie counts for maintaining weight, they go up as it increases. It isn't easy to control your weight, but it is possible. Thyroid complications don't always help, but you should know if you have those.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #448

Griffon

Similarly, while slowed significantly compared to the actual age of the comic, the characters do seem to age as time goes on.

Most people I know are well over their 30th birthday, and almost all of them look back on their 25 year old selves as a) dumbasses and b) significantly more trim than they are now. In fact, I'm probably the most egregious exception as, 12 years on, I still have the 32" waist that I had when I was 20.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

29. - Top - End - #449

I have to say. The plotline about the AI going on a Spiritual Journey of Olfactive Discovery is probably one of the thing that endears me the most to this webcomic.

Its so random, and yet sweet.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

I would play an AI Olfaction RPG.