New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

I agree with Faye on this, robots fainting should not be a thing. Bubbles, don't just stand there being wise and solemn, go grab Roko from Hanners before she herniates herself.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think that, if it had been oolong tea, a different animal would have greeted her XD
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

So it appears that the longer an AI has been in their body, and if they've been in it since their earliest stages, the more they "identify" with it and think of it as part of who they are.

Not really surprising, but an interesting development and an interesting take. QC is always at its best when it's looking at the implications of the tech that Jeph has thrown into it.

If we're assuming that the AIs in the QC verse run on neural nets, it shouldn't be too hard to transfer a human consciousness across to a robot body... I'd expect that the biggest issue is having high enough resolution scanning, if it isn't just handwaved.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2017-09-20 at 09:58 PM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    So it appears that the longer an AI has been in their body, and if they've been in it since their earliest stages, the more they "identify" with it and think of it as part of who they are.
    Well no, we have one AI where that is the case. We can't assume it's the case for all of them.

Pintsize has been in his body much longer, as back when the comic started there were no real humanoid AIs, much later Hanners got the uncanny valley robo boyfriend prototype, so if she's been in that body since her birth, she gotta be younger, and he doesn't bat an eye about getting dismantled or any of that.

Winslow likely too has been in his body much longer and easily enough jumped ship.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Well no, we have one AI where that is the case. We can't assume it's the case for all of them.

Pintsize has been in his body much longer, as back when the comic started there were no real humanoid AIs, much later Hanners got the uncanny valley robo boyfriend prototype, so if she's been in that body since her birth, she gotta be younger, and he doesn't bat an eye about getting dismantled or any of that.

Winslow likely too has been in his body much longer and easily enough jumped ship.
    Its worth pointing out Winslow and Momo were also both extremely uncomfortable with things occurring to their old chassis, and were specifically concerned about pintsize messing with them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #456
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its worth pointing out Winslow and Momo were also both extremely uncomfortable with things occurring to their old chassis, and were specifically concerned about pintsize messing with them.
    I'd be concerned with Pintsize messing with anything I owned, whether or not I was currently using it.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I am dumbfounded on two points. One: Emily knows what a sexy unicorn man smells like? How??? And two: Assam smells like a sexy unicorn man? THAT'S what a sexy unicorn man smells like???

Sonya Hennie's tu-tu!!! O_O

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it smells like a sexy unicorn man in the same way that whatever Roko had at the shop smelled like a friendly giraffe maiden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #459
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I wonder if the sexy unicorn man that Emily smelled had the same "Yay or Neigh" underwear that Roko's guy had?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Orc in the Playground

And now Emily has robot synesthesia, are we sure that she's not some sort of experimental AI that doesn't know she isn't human?
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    And now Emily has robot synesthesia, are we sure that she's not some sort of experimental AI that doesn't know she isn't human?
    Bladerunner style, but with less noir dystopia?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

According to the author's comment below the comic:
    "Spoiler: Emily is not a cyborg yet"

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

She's not a cyborg if she's an android (or more properly an gynoid)!
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Has she ever actually said she's human? She might be an experimental AI that knows full well she's not human but has a passing-for-human chassis and doesn't feel like telling everyone unprompted.

EDIT: Actually, this might be the first page where anyone's said she's human in her presence - next page might be a polite correction.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-09-22 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are you sure You're not an AI whose never been told?
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

16. - Top - End - #466
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post

Not really surprising, but an interesting development and an interesting take. QC is always at its best when it's looking at the implications of the tech that Jeph has thrown into it.

If we're assuming that the AIs in the QC verse run on neural nets, it shouldn't be too hard to transfer a human consciousness across to a robot body... I'd expect that the biggest issue is having high enough resolution scanning, if it isn't just handwaved.
    What we currently use the term neural network in IT for has little similarity with a human brain (despite being inspired by it). Or do you mean them actually running on a network of neuron imitations or something?

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Gary the spider bot keeps showing up at counseling and support sessions. I can't tell if he's got problems or is very well adjusted and just likes the company.

The volunteer manager MAY be a bit stressed...

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

HEY GUYS, LOOK WHO IS BACK! IT'S GARY! GARY IS BACK!
    What, I like the guy?
    My assumption is he has the obvious problem someone like him would have : prejudice against spiders. And the other bots look like they might also intimidate people without ill intent. So my guess that is the problem there..

Winslow might have made a poor choice on his place for volunteering.. We'll see.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On the other hand, he practically has been a therapist for Hanners for years already. Never officially but I'd not be surprised if he knows a lot about how to deal with insecurities... just not his own :)

Of course "You're an AI, that means you're more qualified" sounds a lot like "I have a black person sitting in there. You're black, so you understand her problem better, talk to her!"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course "You're an AI, that means you're more qualified" sounds a lot like "I have a black person sitting in there. You're black, so you understand her problem better, talk to her!"
    Pretty sure if I was going to a meeting of other black people here to discuss all sorts of societal problems we face together as black people, I wouldn't want a white guy in the room unless his mission was to sit in the corner and listen. Same principle here.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

I'd think "you're X so you're more qualified to talk to your fellow X than I am no matter what" would come across as kinda insulting, presumptive, and maybe even a bit _____ist.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I'd think "you're X so you're more qualified to talk to your fellow X than I am no matter what" would come across as kinda insulting, presumptive, and maybe even a bit _____ist.
    On the other hand, he probably isn't wrong either. The poor guy is just a desk worker. What does he know about AI problems?

Also, is that punchbot?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Which, unless the non-black is an expert, or the black person a non-local, it is very likely to be true. The seminal example for black US citizens is "The Talk". It is hard to grok for any non-US black what The Talk is. And that is the one I know about. I am sure there are other shared contexts that I haven't even heard of that would also be needed to be fully understood and internalised to even have a chance of helping.

Leaving the dangerous waters of modern US racial issues, Freefall has a similar group for AIs led by a non-AI who has a phD in a relevant field, and has been doing a lot of work on the issue. And even he struggles occasionally to understand concepts that come naturally to an AI on her first meeting. This is similar: lacking the regular therapist, the human is at least aware of his limitations enough to know that any AI will do a better job than he can.

Which is not to say that it's not a crappy situation all around. That said, given the general tone of the comic, I'd imagine that other than providing for a few punchlines, I'd expect the group to embrace Winston in short order. I.e. the vibe I'm getting is similar to the Ugly Duckling bar from Tangled. Bad guys, yes, but with Dreams.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe I am confused, but I thought the spider's name was Gordan.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Maybe I am confused, but I thought the spider's name was Gordan.
    You almost got me there. There's both Gary and Gordon. Unless Jeph is lying to us, this is the former. (Who is the second to appear, though)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    On the other hand, he probably isn't wrong either. The poor guy is just a desk worker. What does he know about AI problems?

Also, is that punchbot?
    Looks like him. But that might just be the body model...

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    You almost got me there. There's both Gary and Gordon. Unless Jeph is lying to us, this is the former. (Who is the second to appear, though)
    Looking into it a bit more, I see my error.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

He's got a knack for this. And is way, way out of his league with Droid 06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

DAAANG, he's good at this. He may have inadvertently found his niche.

I don't think that's Punchbot. The body is similar, but the attitude is wrong.

Why would you punch a fire engine???

30. - Top - End - #480
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Why would you punch a fire engine???
    Why wouldn't you?!?!