New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Egneil View Post
    Same here, I've never seen the toy aisle sorted like this but then again I've never been to many toy aisles. Still seems like this particular store is trying to be an odd duckling.
    I am responsible for a two year old. I have been in way too many toy stores lately, and can confirm that despite claims by various chains in various countries that they aren't doing the segregation anymore, they still are, by and large. Yes, even Toys'r'us. And it truly irks me that toys are first divided into pink (and sometimes purple) "meant for girls" vs everything else.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-19 at 09:32 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

I guess the auditor told him it will cost him an arm and a leg, but gave him a 50% discount

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I guess the auditor told him it will cost him an arm and a leg, but gave him a 50% discount
    You are making me regret reading the forums in a place where muffled laughter is a necessity
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #604
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wanna know where the rest of Punchbot's parts are. Unless they got seriously mangled, he has to know the rebuild will be cheaper with existing parts.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I am responsible for a two year old. I have been in way too many toy stores lately, and can confirm that despite claims by various chains in various countries that they aren't doing the segregation anymore, they still are, by and large. Yes, even Toys'r'us. And it truly irks me that toys are first divided into pink (and sometimes purple) "meant for girls" vs everything else.

Grey Wolf
    Stores will market stuff in whatever way they think will drive the most sales. They don't give a plugged nickel about whether or not how they market it is politically correct or not, unless it becomes so controversial that they are afraid it will cost them sales.

Want them to stop segregating "girls' toys"? Buy all your daughters erector sets and all your sons Barbie dolls, and get all your friends to do the same.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Stores will market stuff in whatever way they think will drive the most sales. They don't give a plugged nickel about whether or not how they market it is politically correct or not, unless it becomes so controversial that they are afraid it will cost them sales.

Want them to stop segregating "girls' toys"? Buy all your daughters erector sets and all your sons Barbie dolls, and get all your friends to do the same.
    Which I do. Which is why I find it really annoying that to get the full range of constructor sets or legos or cars or kitchen toys I have to go to both the "pink" and "other colours" sections.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

This is Barry's fault, isn't it?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to assume that everything is Barry's fault until proven otherwise.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

9. - Top - End - #609

They should really keep Samantha at arm's lenght.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

She looks like one of the Three Stooges with that haircut.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm really not a fan of that new haircut...

12. - Top - End - #612

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I tend to assume that everything is Barry's fault until proven otherwise.
    You think we wanted to start an Arm's race?

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    You think we wanted to start an Arm's race?
    Collecting moose's "samples" is not a task for the weak or the feint-hearted, but Punchbot just had to give it a go. And then his arm fell off.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-20 at 11:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

... Punchbot, we love you, but how do you accidentally swallow your keys? Someone needs to get him a better sense of self-preservation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Which I do. Which is why I find it really annoying that to get the full range of constructor sets or legos or cars or kitchen toys I have to go to both the "pink" and "other colours" sections.

GW
    How's it going as far as getting all of your friends to do the same?

On a more serious note, while I can understand that someone might find stores gearing their marketing to stereotypical gender roles annoying or even offensive, I don't see the problem with having to go to different aisles or sections for different toys. It's not like everything can be on the same aisle anyway.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

On a more serious note, while I can understand that someone might find stores gearing their marketing to stereotypical gender roles annoying or even offensive, I don't see the problem with having to go to different aisles or sections for different toys. It's not like everything can be on the same aisle anyway.
    Ergo, the problem others are describing isn't just "having to go to different aisles or sections for different toys." I mean, that's been pretty clear from previous discussion, but it's nice to have confirmation.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Ergo, the problem others are describing isn't just "having to go to different aisles or sections for different toys." I mean, that's been pretty clear from previous discussion, but it's nice to have confirmation.
    Yes, I know that in general, that's the case. But post #606 implies that merely having to go to different aisles or section is a problem in and of itself for GW.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, I know that in general, that's the case. But post #606 implies that merely having to go to different aisles or section is a problem in and of itself for GW.
    Even if that post wasn't but a part of the larger position taken by GW, it is a complaint about bad classification hierarchies that sort "pink" from "not pink" at the top level resulting in unnecessary trips between sections, not about the mere fact of having to go to multiple sections to find different kinds of toys.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

I think a better example would be smaller stores. Like the toy aisle where I work is organized Board Games -> Plushies->Dolls-> Pink Blind Bags and collectibles-> Action Figures-> All other Blind Bags and Collectibles.

Granted, it's not all bad. You'll find all the Licensed Toys of the same type in the same place whether it's Frozen, Cars, Disney Princesses, or Ninja Turtles, but at the same time the Pink Power Ranger from has been sitting dejected on the shelf for upward of a year and a half because nobody wants to buy her for a child of either gender.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Well enough, despite the efforts by people to insist that I am imagining it all, that no such discrimination exist, or that the issues I bring up are overblown, as you seem to want to do.

Way to minimise what I was talking about. This, you may recall, started with the affirmation that no such issue existed.

Second, you somehow missed the fact that I need to go to different aisles for the same toys, not different ones. If I want to get, say, wooden blocks, I need to go to both the girl (sorry, "pink") and then the other. Do tell, what about that seems normal or correct to you, that you feel the need to think this is somehow a petty complaint?

I have to assume at this point that you are "arguing" (and I'm using that word quite wrongly) in bad faith.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-20 at 07:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #621

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    against a yeti blue? No.

People like that only exist in facebook stories that people make up for likes. Next you'll tell me the whole store clapped. He was fired on the spot and the manager gave her 100 dollars.

See above.

Okay, that's possible. Still makes the "little lady comment weird

The whole thing seemed really forced and awkward
    Please keep the nothing happens that I haven't happen to me stuff on reddit, it is annoying enough there when people declare everything fake that they don't want to believe. (I just really find that annoying here if they at least made actual arguments why a story is fate but it usually is just "I don't believe people do that so they don't" so irritating.)
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2017-10-20 at 10:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Sam does not believe in boundaries.

And she's probably going to grow up to be a genius robo-tech. Or mad scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ... Punchbot, we love you, but how do you accidentally swallow your keys? Someone needs to get
    him a better sense of self-preservation.
    It doesn't look like he has pockets. It is POSSIBLE he had to carry something with both hands, but also needed to unlock a door or two along the way to get where he was going. So he put the keys in his mouth to have them, and a misstep (or, this being Punchbot, the opportunity to punch something) distracted him and lead the keys to slide down.

That's pretty speculative.

I'm also wondering about his internal construction. A bunch of metal keys can rattle around in him without touching contacts and leading to a spectacular short-circuit?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure why he would even have a throat with which to swallow. A small mouth-cavity for the sake of facial expressions that aren't just images on a screen, sure. But why does he have a throat?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm not sure why he would even have a throat with which to swallow. A small mouth-cavity for the sake of facial expressions that aren't just images on a screen, sure. But why does he have a throat?
    For the sake of comedy?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Way to minimise what I was talking about. This, you may recall, started with the affirmation that no such issue existed.

Second, you somehow missed the fact that I need to go to different aisles for the same toys, not different ones. If I want to get, say, wooden blocks, I need to go to both the girl (sorry, "pink") and then the other. Do tell, what about that seems normal or correct to you, that you feel the need to think this is somehow a petty complaint?
    Well, yes, I did miss that point. My bad.

I have to assume at this point that you are "arguing" (and I'm using that word quite wrongly) in bad faith.

Grey Wolf
    That would be an incorrect assumption. Though I didn't know that we were arguing; I thought it was just a discussion.

At any rate, my point was that stores aren't trying to push an agenda of perpetuating gender stereotypes, nor are they deliberately trying to inconvenience you or other customers; OTOH, they're not really interested in any agenda to eliminate gender stereotypes--they're just interesting in trying to maximize their sales and profits. At least in general; there are probably some exceptions, especially when we start to consider local stores and not chains.

26. - Top - End - #626

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    For the sake of comedy?
    Maybe so he can eat? Sure, he doesn't need to, but there must be some AIs who want to experience food. Maybe even enough for someone to invent the tech for it.
    Last edited by rooster707; 2017-10-21 at 08:42 PM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

27. - Top - End - #627

... this is actually much better.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Colossus in the Playground

I love punchbot. there is just something so innocently happy about him.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #629

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I love punchbot. there is just something so innocently happy about him.
    He is an accoutant. Off course he is happy ^_^

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Since Sam's new haircut appeared here, I've seen multiple women on TV with somewhat similar haircuts.

Is his a new thing that I have not seen in person because I do not live on the hipster coasts?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.