New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Since Sam's new haircut appeared here, I've seen multiple women on TV with somewhat similar haircuts.

Is his a new thing that I have not seen in person because I do not live on the hipster coasts?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Baader-Meinhoff Phenomenon. Please enjoy your complementary month of noticing all those things that you notice for the first time coming up repeatedly.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2017-10-23 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the Baader-Meinhoff Phenomenon. Please enjoy your complementary month of noticing all those things that you notice for the first time coming up repeatedly.
    No, I'm certain I've not seen that haircut on real-life women that often in the past. I've seen it in fiction (at least one Joan of Arc portrayal, frex).

This happens with fashion trends (haircuts, clothes, etc) repeatedly -- they tend to come on all at once, as they finally reach things that I might actually see out here in flyover country, or actually make their way out here.

In the case of that haircut, I noticed it on two female soccer players who didn't have the haircut earlier this year -- it's a new thing.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

This child. Oh my god. That is a deadly lack of self preservation. She has been shown to be borderline suicidal three times just now.

She needs help
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-10-24 at 09:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    This child. Oh my god. That is a deadly lack of self preservation. She has been shown to be borderline suicidal three times just now.

She needs help
    Do not forget, when she, Marten, Eliot, Momo, and Padma were on that nature hike, Sam did a flying leap tumble down a cliff after a snake that should have killed her. She emerged with only bruises and abrasions AND the snake. Which was probably thinking "THE HELL KIND OF PREDATOR IS THIS???"

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2018

I think we should assume she's unkillable. And if Bubbles goes with her, keeping Sam from disproving that will be a full time job.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

That rubber band better hit herself back in the face soon. You don't get to be the kind of person that is hyper careless around a pnuematic press or rattlesnakes for very long.

Either that or she turns out to be a robot that thinks its human and has to face an existential crisis.

Call me old and jaded if you want, but it's not quirky, it's not precocious, it's too dumb to live.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

That rubber band better hit herself back in the face soon. You don't get to be the kind of person that is hyper careless around a pnuematic press or rattlesnakes for very long.

Either that or she turns out to be a robot that thinks its human and has to face an existential crisis.

Call me old and jaded if you want, but it's not quirky, it's not precocious, it's too dumb to live.
    Says the guy with Monster Kid as an avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Says the guy with Monster Kid as an avatar
    There is a line, and that line is "gets stuck in a pneumatic press and procedes to stick head inside of machinery having learned nothing"

Just have someone sit her down and say, "this behavior is not okay, you will die" that's all I really want. Just for someone to acknowledge that what she's doing is wrong.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-10-24 at 02:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There is a line, and that line is "gets stuck in a pneumatic press and procedes to stick head inside of machinery having learned nothing"

Just have someone sit her down and say, "this behavior is not okay, you will die" that's all I really want. Just for someone to acknowledge that what she's doing is wrong.
    Sam already understands that what she was doing is wrong. She admits she got too excited. Theres a montage of Bubbles showing her the equipment and teaching her some things, and she manages to refrain from being horribly obnoxious in most of them (and Faye joins her the one time she disregards Bubble's safety warning, so one assumes that Bubbles was more concerned about what she could do than what she was actively doing).

As for punchbot, he is a technology that doesn't exist in the real world and thus we are in an extremely poor position to make judgments about the safety, or lack there of, of her actions.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Punchbot felt comfortable walking through town with his bits hanging out. She might have assumed that if he was dangerous, he would have at least put some duct tape onto himself to warn people who might have otherwise walked into him.

If anything, I would assume that sticking her head into him was more rude then dangerous, but Keltest is right, we don't know how safe it is. Then again, they gave May one so it can't be that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

as someone who is incredibly accident prone, i've almost killed myself a lot more times than sam has shown in comic. none of it was necessarily on purpose, i'm just a doom magnet.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder... Would a spray be a tat to a robot? Seems to me you'd have to actually... Etch (?) it in to be similar. Or at least do something more permanent than scribble it on the surface?

Also : so is this a new thing?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes sprays seem more like Henna tattoos to me than real one

13. - Top - End - #643
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I wonder... Would a spray be a tat to a robot? Seems to me you'd have to actually... Etch (?) it in to be similar. Or at least do something more permanent than scribble it on the surface?

Also : so is this a new thing?
    Etching, anodizing, heat treatment, there's a lot of ways to permanently put designs or colour on metal, yeah.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Oh no, they're going to have to take Sam on as a partner. Or at least employee. And turn the repair shop into a tattooing parlor. O_O

15. - Top - End - #645
    Firbolg in the Playground

That.. is an interesting and furtunate turn of events

16. - Top - End - #646

Faye is also an artist with the metal work, this would actually be an interesting side business. Come in for repairs, get some flair added to you while you are at it!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Oh no, they're going to have to take Sam on as a partner. Or at least employee. And turn the repair shop into a tattooing parlor. O_O
    I don't think she's quite old enough to have an actual job yet.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #648
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Since when has our reality gotten in the way of Jeph before?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think tattoo artists would probably branch out to that in that setting.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think tattoo artists would probably branch out to that in that setting.
    Unlikely, given the requirement to be a tattoo artist and hygiene requirements that don't really apply to robots, specially not if when they are just going for permanent marker on metal, which, despite the name, can be easily removed with some solvent. They'd be quickly crowded out, at least in most part, by less qualified amateurs who are nonetheless skilled artists.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Unlikely, given the requirement to be a tattoo artist and hygiene requirements that don't really apply to robots, specially not if when they are just going for permanent marker on metal, which, despite the name, can be easily removed with some solvent. They'd be quickly crowded out, at least in most part, by less qualified amateurs who are nonetheless skilled artists.
    They'd probably do it if an AI paid them their standard fee on the basis of their particular artistic style and skill -- no reason not to do it if the money is the same.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

22. - Top - End - #652

DAMN, that's an unfortunate name.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't think she's quite old enough to have an actual job yet.
    I forget her age, but in most states, you can't work until you're 14 (unless it's farming/baby sitting or similar jobs). A quick, but nont thorough google search implies this is the case for Massachusetts. I just don't know how old Sam is, but she's probably a bit too young. And I am not sure how Massachusetts feels about kids working in industrial settings. So unless Massachusetts forgot to put that into law and she JUST turned 14, she cannot be hired.

As for a 'spray' being more like henna then a ink tattoo...So? Robots don't shed skin like people do, so some forms might last longer for them. And why get something permanent when you switch out body parts on a regular basis?

I want Faye to install some flame jets. Now that's body modification right there!
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-10-25 at 03:16 PM.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Barbarian in the Playground

They'd probably do it if an AI paid them their standard fee on the basis of their particular artistic style and skill -- no reason not to do it if the money is the same.
    Well, yes, but why would the vast majority of the AIs pay those prices when they can get a kid with a sharpie to do it for a literal small fraction of the price, if that?

Now, I could see the absolute best and/or most famous getting some jobs, or a more or less specialized service engraving or more permanently altering their parts in an artistic manner (although generally not by tattoo artists, the skill sets would be rather too different), but the vast majority of actual tattoo artists are going to have to conform themselves with human clients (or AIs who got a body with very good synthskin ).
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

25. - Top - End - #655

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I forget her age, but in most states, you can't work until you're 14 (unless it's farming/baby sitting or similar jobs). A quick, but nont thorough google search implies this is the case for Massachusetts. I just don't know how old Sam is, but she's probably a bit too young. And I am not sure how Massachusetts feels about kids working in industrial settings. So unless Massachusetts forgot to put that into law and she JUST turned 14, she cannot be hired.

As for a 'spray' being more like henna then a ink tattoo...So? Robots don't shed skin like people do, so some forms might last longer for them. And why get something permanent when you switch out body parts on a regular basis?

I want Faye to install some flame jets. Now that's body modification right there!
    Meh, there are ways around that sort of thing if everyone involved agrees. They wont be able to cut her a paycheck and file it with taxes, but there is no reason they cant toss her a 20 every now and then. Totally unconnected to the artwork she does for free of course. No law against drawing is there?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Meh, there are ways around that sort of thing if everyone involved agrees. They wont be able to cut her a paycheck and file it with taxes, but there is no reason they cant toss her a 20 every now and then. Totally unconnected to the artwork she does for free of course. No law against drawing is there?
    If you have a cop that's highly suspicious of you and you have industrial equipment and solvents lying around this might not be the best idea. I don't think Faye is doing the kid any harm (always good to encourage those interests) but it might not be legal.

27. - Top - End - #657

How about you notice more often after learning that you notice more often. Does it works on thr 2nd degree?

Also, hilarious name origin. Talk about random name.

28. - Top - End - #658

I have to admit Sam has an eye for artistry business.

It would never have occured to me

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Is there some reason they're "of course" called "sprays"?

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is there some reason they're "of course" called "sprays"?
    Because Jeph gets excited about things and nobody wants to take that away from him.