New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

I agree that the googly eyes are extremely distracting.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Tilli seems quite friendly, and possibly even a good fit for Hanners. If Hanners can get past the whole "my mum is foisting this PA on me."
    ...Doesn't Hanners work at a coffee shop? I'm not actually sure her counting things business really requires much call for a personal assistant...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I'm really not sure what Hanners' PA would even do all day while Hanners works. Sit at the coffee shop? Work at the coffee shop too?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah, I'm really not sure what Hanners' PA would even do all day while Hanners works. Sit at the coffee shop? Work at the coffee shop too?
    "Get paid to sit in the coffee shop looking at her smartphone".

Sounds like a good job to me.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, I don't like Tilly. Sure she's put there by Mom, but she did accept the job that involved "and she won't like you or having a PA, but force her to". So my sympathy for her on that front are pretty low.

Also Hanners, you got a friend a floor down, who's a retired combat robot, she can easily remove this nuisance off the premises forcibly.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Ok, I don't like Tilly. Sure she's put there by Mom, but she did accept the job that involved "and she won't like you or having a PA, but force her to". So my sympathy for her on that front are pretty low.
    I dunno. I get the idea that Tilly is a bit...Unperceptive and really thinks she can help Hannerlore. How, I don't really know, but she seems like she's trying to help. She's so clueless about it that I wouldn't say she's a good person, but at least doesn't have bad intentions. Just needs to get some understanding of interpersonal relationships...

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Also Hanners, you got a friend a floor down, who's a retired combat robot, she can easily remove this nuisance off the premises forcibly.
    I think Hanners is a bit opposed to using violence, even to get rid of an annoying person. She probably doesn't want to go running to Bubbles everytime there is an issue and seem ungrateful.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Tilly is fighting an uphill battle, and losing.

But there's one thing Hanners can set Tilly to doing that will please both of them. "Tilly, from now on, it is your responsibility to keep my mother from interfering with my life. Good luck and may you win."

It would be an epic battle, I think...

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Efficient, solves two birds with one stone, and added irony for Hanners' mother providing Hanners with the means to end the interference. I now really want this to be how this ends up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Tilly, seriously, take the hint, you were hired and sent here under false pretenses, chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Tilly, seriously, take the hint, you were hired and sent here under false pretenses, chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.
    Come now friend, that's not how things work in the QC-verse! If Jeph creates a new character, then no matter how irritating we find her, she shall stick around long after she has worn out her welcome!
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Realistically, this intrusion would be horribly invasive and annoying, but in the cartoony heightened reality of the QC-verse, I'm pulling for Tilly.

Go Tilly!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

12. - Top - End - #792

With what we know of Hanners' mother, Id bet that defying her wishes is much riskier than making Hannelore unhappy. Tilly's persistence might be driven by survival instinct.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Barbarian in the Playground

Probably so. If Tilly goes away after the 48h she's probably not going to have much problems, but if earlier, well, evil CEO is going to be evil...

That said, for ****s sake Hanners, just use Tilly as a gopher. Grab stuff for you, buy whatever you want when you need it, run messages for you, and so forth. Not the usual PA fare, but you can make use of one anyway.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Colossus in the Playground

Tilly is like your first smart phone. You dont really want it, cant imagine what all these silly things it can do could be useful for, and would rather stick with your old fashioned flip phone as its done a fine job of accepting phone calls so far (You know, the entire reason to have a phone originally?) Then you give the smart phone a try and you are hooked. I figure hannerlore will eventually surrender to the inevitable once tilly actually starts doing things for her. "This is just so much EASIER!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The problem here is recognizing that Hannelore is doing her life the difficult way on purpose in order to grow as a person.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

16. - Top - End - #796

Hi! I'm Clippy! Yo mama sent me!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #797

Yo mamma's so evil, she fed a minion to whale sharks?

18. - Top - End - #798

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Realistically, this intrusion would be horribly invasive and annoying, but in the cartoony heightened reality of the QC-verse, I'm pulling for Tilly.

Go Tilly!
    For me, it depends how it goes on Monday. If we have a scene where Tilly does the usual cliched thing - she slumps down, complains that she's only trying to help and this is her big break, and then Hannelore promises to try to find her something to do before the waterworks are turned on - then I will probably find myself extremely jaded towards her.
    It's been done to death, and QC really doesn't need another character that is little more than luggage being carried around out of pity.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    For me, it depends how it goes on Monday. If we have a scene where Tilly does the usual cliched thing - she slumps down, complains that she's only trying to help and this is her big break, and then Hannelore promises to try to find her something to do before the waterworks are turned on - then I will probably find myself extremely jaded towards her.
    I think I'd be irritated for other reasons. Hannelore has done a lot to improve, but she's still struggling to improve and has her own life. Tilly expecting to throw a pity party and for Hanners to scoop her up and fix her problems wouldn't really make me sympathetic to her. She's not really going to become my favorite character by expecting a big break by being given it.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Personally, if she tries to guilt trip hanners at all, its going to lose any sympathy from me. You are forcing yourself into her life against her express desires. You are the problem, not the solution.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #801
    Bugbear in the Playground

She did offer to call the police on herself which might have partly been a joke but I think switching to begging like that wouldn't really fit her character setup.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Tilly managed to navigate this conversation in a way that wasn't too terrible. I appreciate the sentiment of "even though this job might be dumb or even redundant, I still want to do my best"; it's one I can respect. And if she's being honest about that "final pitch" thing, she's also being a somewhat gracious loser?
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2017-11-13 at 01:38 AM.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Or at least, "I can't do anything more to convince you short of physically forcing you, and your mother didn't give me the weapons and tools needed for that." Gotta show a good faith effort before you tell your boss a project failed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know... I think we might have a crazy person here... Dedication to your job is one thing. But admitting what you do is more or less insane and still sticking to it.. This arc might lead to Tilly ruining Hanners life just so she can be helpful after all.
    OK, maybe a bit dark for QC.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I don't know... I think we might have a crazy person here... Dedication to your job is one thing. But admitting what you do is more or less insane and still sticking to it.. This arc might lead to Tilly ruining Hanners life just so she can be helpful after all.
    OK, maybe a bit dark for QC.
    To be fair to the girl... would you want to have to tell Hanner's mum that you couldn't do the job she assigned you? We were complaining about her sort of torturing a robo horse last week.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

26. - Top - End - #806

I read it as "I need money, I got bills".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #807
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I read it as "I need money, I got bills".
    Don't know, she looks genuinely passionate about the job.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Don't know, she looks genuinely passionate about the job.
    It might be in the cotnract that she has to be. They're not in the UK:

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Tilly -- GO AWAY.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #810

Imp

So here's the thing: Hanners may not need an assistant, but she has two different friends that are running two different small businesses that could probably benefit from labor being paid for by someone else. Will Hannelore try to convince Tilly to help Dora or Faye?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.