New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I still don't understand why Taffy had to be added to the mix in the first place. Why not bring back Marigold instead?
    Why would Marigold be hired by Hannelore's mom?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Maybe she needs someone assassinated in World of Warcraft.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

GW
    Why do we need a character hired by Hannalore's mom?

It's not like this story is all that interesting or entertaining, at least so far. It's just "how will Taffilly react oddly today" and "how will Hanner's mom be a raging evil ***** to everyone around her today" so far.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Why do we need a character hired by Hannalore's mom?

It's not like this story is all that interesting or entertaining, at least so far. It's just "how will Taffilly react oddly today" and "how will Hanner's mom be a raging evil ***** to everyone around her today" so far.
    1) We don't get to "need" anything. You don't like a story, stop reading it. You do not get to declare that the author is your bitch and has to do what you "need" him to.

ETA:
    Dropping in to say, "This scene is pointless," neither addresses any possible reasons I may have had for including it nor outweighs the opinion of those readers who are enjoying it, so I dismiss it without further consideration.
    2) I was responding to a very specific post saying that the character could be replaced with Marigold.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-11-20 at 12:22 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

GW
    I was thinking more in terms of "why did we need a story about a new character supporting another character who hasn't been around for at least 5 years and was never a major character in the first place when we could have a story about a well-liked character who has an existing rapport with Hannelore who also hasn't been seen in awhile."

Let's not get snippy on my behalf.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I was thinking more in terms of "why did we need a story about a new character supporting another character who hasn't been around for at least 5 years and was never a major character in the first place when we could have a story about a well-liked character who has an existing rapport with Hannelore who also hasn't been seen in awhile.".
    Presumably because whatever character growth Jeph is intending would not work with Marigold rather than Taffy.

GW

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Presumably because whatever character growth Jeph is intending would not work with Marigold rather than Taffy.

GW
    I think you are confusing Jeph with the Giant. Jeph has, numerous times, just included additional characters because he felt like drawing them, and then dropped them shortly later. For example, Brun. Or worse, he doesn't drop them, and they keep returning to be bizarre, like Barry.

I enjoy QC, but lets not pretend its anything other than what it is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

1) We don't get to "need" anything. You don't like a story, stop reading it. You do not get to declare that the author is your bitch and has to do what you "need" him to.
    Wow. OK.

That escalated quickly and with no actual relationship to what was actually posted by anyone here.

Oh well.

E: Let me phrase it another way, that hopefully won't evidently trigger something -- what is the author hoping to accomplish with the addition of this Tillaffy / Taffilly character? What new things about the existing characters was the author hoping to tell us? How does this progress the overall story or the stories of the existing characters?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-11-20 at 01:01 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow. OK.

That escalated quickly and with no actual relationship to what was actually posted by anyone here.

Oh well.

E: Let me phrase it another way, that hopefully won't evidently trigger something -- what is the author hoping to accomplish with the addition of this Tillaffy / Taffilly character? What new things about the existing characters was the author hoping to tell us? How does this progress the overall story or the stories of the existing characters?
    The author is introducing this new character, most likely in an attempt to help hannelore grow as a person. She need to learn how to deal with all sorts of garbage. There is no "overall story" its not OotS, its a slice of life story with AI and strange people. And as I said, its probably to help advance hannerlore as a character, or maybe even deal with her mother as more than a cardboard cutout of a james bond villain.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, the allosauruses have to be fed occasionally.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Is it possible to "overcorrect" in terms of representation in a particular work?
    *cough*Sinfest!*cough*

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Because mentally ill people are people and deserve to have just as many stories told about them as neurotypical people have?
    I'm not sure that anyone "deserves" to have fictional stories told about them, exactly.

The problem here, though, isn't that there are mentally ill characters in the comic. The problem is that the comic already has a lot of characters with issues, but many of the long-established characters were still relatable and there were good stories being told about them. Even characters who seriously lacked social skills, like Marigold, or those who clearly had serious mental health issues, like Hannelore, were kept relatable. Generally, characters who weren't relatable were clearly secondary characters, such as the Vespa Avenger, or were strictly comic relief, like Pintsize.

In contrast, a lot of the more recently introduced characters, such as Brun, Emily, and Tilly, seem to just be weird for the sake of weirdness. They aren't relatable, nor are they particularly amusing, but they're given major story arcs and a lot of "screen time".

13. - Top - End - #883

Imp

Brun at least was at least a somewhat convincing portrayal of someone who was somewhere on the autism spectrum. Unfortunately she also happened to also be generally unpleasant and prone to violence.

There's no real portrayal of mental illness with Taffy. She's just hijinx style wacky to the point of unpleasantness.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Brun at least was at least a somewhat convincing portrayal of someone who was somewhere on the autism spectrum. Unfortunately she also happened to also be generally unpleasant and prone to violence.

There's no real portrayal of mental illness with Taffy. She's just hijinx style wacky to the point of unpleasantness.
    Indeed, some people are just annoying, or ill-adjusted, or unpleasant, without it being a mental illness or "atypical neurology".

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

The Taffy storyline so far has been at a detriment to characters I'm actually interested in. Specifically, Faye and Bubbles, and Clinton, Brun, and Elliot.

I know a lot of people don't like Brun, but as someone on the spectrum myself, I enjoyed her portrayal.

Taffy... seems like Jeph came up with a cute design and wanted to shoehorn it into the story and kludged together a "oh she was hired by Hanners' mum" thing. Stuff like this is exactly why Bleach became terrible - the author was great at creating visually interesting characters but terrible at actually telling stories with them, so they'd introduce a character, show them off for a bit, and then just ignore them when they realized they didn't have anything for the character in mind or had moved on to a new character to introduce.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    *cough*Sinfest!*cough*
    Hey AvatarVecna, do you remember the origin of the post you use in your signature?

I remember it being hilarious. But thats it.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Hey AvatarVecna, do you remember the origin of the post you use in your signature?

Here you go

18. - Top - End - #888
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Error 404: Empathy for pointless character still not found.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, for pity's sake, Tilly!

The order to disregard Hanner's preferences was so she, who would automatically refuse a personal assistant, would have no choice but to have one around for at least a limited time and so could determine if yes, such a person MIGHT be useful. You're not supposed to KEEP disregarding her instructions in all things, just the one to go away. If you don't understand that, then jumping in the ocean actually is warranted.

Either she has a major personally pivot and stops being such a Tilly, or this is going to be a LONG week.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Oh, for pity's sake, Tilly!

The order to disregard Hanner's preferences was so she, who would automatically refuse a personal assistant, would have no choice but to have one around for at least a limited time and so could determine if yes, such a person MIGHT be useful. You're not supposed to KEEP disregarding her instructions in all things, just the one to go away. If you don't understand that, then jumping in the ocean actually is warranted.

Either she has a major personally pivot and stops being such a Tilly, or this is going to be a LONG week.
    Yeah, seriously. Do you even understand what a personal assistant is supposed to do, Tilly? Following instructions and facilitating the desires of the assisted is practically the entire job.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #891

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Do you even understand what a personal assistant is supposed to do, Tilly? Following instructions and facilitating the desires of the assisted is practically the entire job.
    I'm unsure if Jeph understands what a personal assistant is supposed to do.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

While I can understand Tilly's mindset, I don't approve of it, but it seems like it'll get a correction pretty soon.
    Tilly Thought 1: Help Hanners in any way, shape, or form possible (Because job, and to prove usefulness, plus self-worth boost?)
    Tilly Thought 2: Hanners doesn't want a PA, but any objections to that may be safely ignored as per orders.
    Tilly Conclusion: Be the personal assistant version of a smothering mother (smother?) because this is her job and she knows the best how to do it.
    Hypothetical analysis: She has Hanners on a VERY high pedestal, which Hanners dislikes, but Tilly doesn't realize that due to serving a strong corporate power that ENJOYS that for so long.
    Tilly Realization: While given authorization to do so, she's crossed a line that is proving detrimental to service.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so what I think when I see Taffy is: "Jeph really liked the character Lotte from Little Witch Academia and so made a character that's visually inspired by her without any actual bloody plans for what to do with her".
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post

Quotes come with little buttons next to the quoted person's name, if it helps in the future.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #895

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I'm not sure that anyone "deserves" to have fictional stories told about them, exactly.

The problem here, though, isn't that there are mentally ill characters in the comic. The problem is that the comic already has a lot of characters with issues, but many of the long-established characters were still relatable and there were good stories being told about them. Even characters who seriously lacked social skills, like Marigold, or those who clearly had serious mental health issues, like Hannelore, were kept relatable. Generally, characters who weren't relatable were clearly secondary characters, such as the Vespa Avenger, or were strictly comic relief, like Pintsize.

In contrast, a lot of the more recently introduced characters, such as Brun, Emily, and Tilly, seem to just be weird for the sake of weirdness. They aren't relatable, nor are they particularly amusing, but they're given major story arcs and a lot of "screen time".
    This.

At one point, this comic just went from one that is portraying, in an amusing fashion, everyday struggles and ordinary (a bit weird) characters to one that is downright silly and wacky and lacking actual content.

I mean, just to illustrate one thing (ordinary before vs wacky now): at one point, almost all the characters were in relationships and most of them were straight with Tai being poly-amorous/gay and Marten's father and Maurice being a gay couple. Now, almost all characters are in a relationship and (unless I'm missing someone) only one relationship is straight (Dale/Marigold). Hannelore is asexual, Dora/Tai, Marthen's father/Maurice and Marten/Claire are gay relationships, Bubbles seemingly has a crush on Faye and it seems like the comic was also guiding Clinton and Elliot towards one another.
    It almost feels like the author wants to have each type of relationship represented in the comic which, while commendable, is also something that disconnects the reader from the comic, as he is not able to identify himself with the characters.

P.S. I'm not a native speaker so I apologize if some phrasing is a bit clunky.

P.P.S I just remembered that Marten's mom is in a straight relationship, forgot about that.
    Last edited by Dukkai; 2017-11-21 at 06:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

First, I don't think Martin/Claire can so easily be identified as a "gay" relationship.

Second, I'll never understand this notion that a work of fiction needs "characters I can identify with" in order for the reader to connect with what's going on.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

First, I don't think Martin/Claire can so easily be identified as a "gay" relationship.

Second, I'll never understand this notion that a work of fiction needs "characters I can identify with" in order for the reader to connect with what's going on.
    More to the point, I always thought that meant we interpreted characters through the lens of our own experiences. Like,I've never been tasked with saving the world by tossing a ring in a volcano, but I can certainly relate to feeling duty-bound to see a task through that I feel is way beyond my abilities. Things like whether he's gay or straight or short or a different species are sort of incidental to those things. In other cases, part of the point is "these people that seem different have problems much like yours;" I don't need to be a lesbian to understand Dora and Tai's relationship struggles, because problems with control or the like are sort of independent of the homosexual part.

I certainly get that it's easier to identify with people more similar to yourself than not, but I don't think that means everyone should match who you see yourself as. It's just helpful to have someone that can act as a jumping off point as a reader. Like, I totally identified with Martin's struggles with motivation and being a doormat, which helped me care about him. And as part of that I cared about his relationships, which means I started caring about his friends, and their relationships, which means I started caring about those people, and oh look, it's 3:00 in the morning and I've just binged the entire archive
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

28. - Top - End - #898

Devil

1) Ok, Marten is in a relationship with a transsexual. While it may not be a "gay" relationship, I think we can agree that it is not exactly a common occurrence :)

2) Well, yes and no. I mean, except for autobiographies and similar works, everything is, to some degree, a work of fiction. Relatable characters and "characters people can identify with" are what separates crap fiction from good fiction, in my humble opinion. In order to connect with what is going on, I need to connect with the character so I (to some extent) care about what happens to him/her and around him/her. If I have a bunch of characters I do not care about what happens or what is going on with them, the story as such becomes dull and boring, similar to when you read a book and flip through the pages just to get to a part that is interesting or that is connected to the character you find interesting.

29. - Top - End - #899

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Quotes come with little buttons next to the quoted person's name, if it helps in the future.
    Much appreciatee, gentlemen. Or ladies. Or else.

"I am Ozymandia. Lol"

Its an instant classic.

30. - Top - End - #900

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    :snip:
    just to be clear, I'm not trying to bash on whether someone is gay or not, I have nothing against it. I just wanted to point out a segment of the comic that I find was indicative how the comic has changed from something everyday to something that is a bit out there.