New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

For those who don't recall just what sort of person Hannelore's mother is...

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=913
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

First, I love the Goth-stage teenage Dora in the photo on the wall. "Ugh, I can't believe we're taking pictures."

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1043

Second, the main joke in this one makes me think how much things can change in a few years...
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-12-16 at 11:46 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    First, I love the Goth-stage teenage Dora in the photo on the wall. "Ugh, I can't believe we're taking pictures."

Second, the main joke in this one makes me think how much things can change in a few years...
    Which strip are you talking about?

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You know something else that weirds me out about Tilly? Their eyebrows are waaay up on their forehead because theyre above their glasses. This isn't always strange, but when she is, for example, looking downcast there ends up being more space between her eyes and eyebrows than between her eyes and mouth.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Which strip are you talking about?
    The one where the copy-paste of the link evidently failed.

6. - Top - End - #1176

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know something else that weirds me out about Tilly? Their eyebrows are waaay up on their forehead because theyre above their glasses. This isn't always strange, but when she is, for example, looking downcast there ends up being more space between her eyes and eyebrows than between her eyes and mouth.
    It's a cartoony representation of a very strong prescriptive lens, and it has some basing in real life. I, for example, have a pretty strong prescription for my spectacles, and I've been told countless times how long and luxurious my eyelashes are (they're not, but they just look that way through the lens) or how freakishly small my eyes are when I take them off.

The bigger the magnification, the more exaggerated each movement appears from the outside and it messes with how people see the proportions of your face. I think it's a very nice touch from Jeph - a subtle, but plausible, suggestion that Tilly is a stereotypical nerd with coke-bottle specs.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #1177

Btw, if Tilly is from an important family, then maybe there's no need for such a job, gained through heredity rather than capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Dwarf in the Playground

The arc is self-aware, and knows just how completely unnecessary, unfulfilling, and unwanted it is, and is just thumbing its nose at us at this point.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Which makes it ever so much worse.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Hanners, stop channeling my thought process...

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1276

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Back to the present... Hanners looks scarily like her mother in this one.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, Hanners, use the POWER of the Dark Side of the Force!

You'll need it. I think your mother is a master...

Back to the present... Hanners looks scarily like her mother in this one.
    That's what I was thinking.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something about Hanners' head just looks... off in this comic. (Also Taffy's glasses, but that's nothing new.)
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

14. - Top - End - #1184

I dont care about Taffy at this point

But i am 100% hooked about Hannelore's side of the story

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Am I the only one who thought at first glance that Hanners and Taffy were holding hands in the last panel?

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Dune reference. She employs a bunch of SF nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Am I the only one who thought at first glance that Hanners and Taffy were holding hands in the last panel?
    Hadn't thought of it; but yes, I can see how, unless you looked closely, you could get the idea.

17. - Top - End - #1187

DUNE REFERENCE! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!

Showdown time

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is the comic going to take an abrupt turn into a fallout-esque post-apocalyptic wasteland? Because that seems like a probable outcome of this conflict.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #1189

Griffon

I can imagine this going one of two ways.

One is that Hannelore goes in there, busts her mom's balls, lays down the law.... And thus proves herself to be her mother's daughter after all. She has The Voice and the mentality to kick corporate ass and get exactly what she wants; welcome to the Dark Side, likely to Hannelore's disgust.

Alternatively, she tries to do that but her mom shouts her down. She tells Hannelore how weak and neurotic she is, and that she clearly needs to spend more time under supervision and/or medication.... Only for Tilly to jump in and defend their employer with unexpected vigor. They're Hannelore's PA, not her mom's, and it's their job to look after their client against any attempt at intrusion. Thus Tilly proves themselves as useful to Hannelore - while their job as a PA might not require much in the way of day-to-day activity, they are certainly going to be retained to keep Ms.Elliot-Chatham Senior at bay - and they find a permanent place in the QC roster.

Or someone gets eaten by the robo-horse and they all bond during the inevitable rescue attempt. Maybe. I'unno, it's just a theory.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Going back to my archive-dive... is this before or after other comics where characters say the "singularity" has happened?

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1586

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Going back to my archive-dive... is this before or after other comics where characters say the "singularity" has happened?

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1586
    Before, Winslow claims it happens somewhere in the 1700's. Er, in terms of comic number, I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I can imagine this going one of two ways.

One is that Hannelore goes in there, busts her mom's balls, lays down the law.... And thus proves herself to be her mother's daughter after all. She has The Voice and the mentality to kick corporate ass and get exactly what she wants; welcome to the Dark Side, likely to Hannelore's disgust.

Alternatively, she tries to do that but her mom shouts her down. She tells Hannelore how weak and neurotic she is, and that she clearly needs to spend more time under supervision and/or medication.... Only for Tilly to jump in and defend their employer with unexpected vigor. They're Hannelore's PA, not her mom's, and it's their job to look after their client against any attempt at intrusion. Thus Tilly proves themselves as useful to Hannelore - while their job as a PA might not require much in the way of day-to-day activity, they are certainly going to be retained to keep Ms.Elliot-Chatham Senior at bay - and they find a permanent place in the QC roster.

Or someone gets eaten by the robo-horse and they all bond during the inevitable rescue attempt. Maybe. I'unno, it's just a theory.
    I am hoping for a combination of the first two. It shows Hanners ability to stand for herself and Tilly to prove themself useful as a PA.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

I'm hoping the robo-horse eats Tilly/Taffy...

has anyone actually died in QC? Apart from Faye's dad?

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkai View Post

There is that one girl who got eaten by an allosaurus. That's probably not survivable.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    There is that one girl who got eaten by an allosaurus. That's probably not survivable.
    Happened "off-screen". There's also an unofficial comic somewhere (I can't find it now) of her missing an arm and with a pet allosaurus.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Colossus in the Playground

I drive farther than that to get to work every day. Of course, im a driver for a job too, so my sense of scale isnt that reliable either. If I drive less than 200 miles during my shift its a slow day.

This is one of the routes ive driven for part of my day as an example. There and back is a nice way to spend 5 hours of your shift, give or take.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkai View Post

The supervillain Steve ("The US Department of Kicking Your Ass!") confronted does not seem to be around anymore...

29. - Top - End - #1199

This seems to be the first time roborights are brought up: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1900
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow, laying down the law AND a bit of physical violence? Go Hanners!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."