New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3571
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    What if your characters are all evil twins?
    Then your story only has two characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    yeah, but the Smurfs were comunists, everyone knows that. =P Or course they all had to look the same! That way, they were all equal!
    Not only that, most of the Smurfs who were actually important were easily distinguishable, if I remember correctly.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

2. - Top - End - #3572
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Then your story only has two characters.
    You can have more than one evil twin to a set. See: Metal Gear Solid 2.

Of course, they looked almost nothing alike...nature vs. nurture and all.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-11-23 at 11:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    You can have more than one evil twin to a set. See: Metal Gear Solid 2.

Of course, they looked almost nothing alike...nature vs. nurture and all.
    If they looked different, what's the problem?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

4. - Top - End - #3574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    If they looked different, what's the problem?
    Hey, don't discard all those fraternal twins. They have rights too, despite not being creepily identical.

Though if there's more than one duplicate of Snake, then you no longer have evil twins, switching instead to evil triplets, or even quadruplets.

5. - Top - End - #3575
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Hey, don't discard all those fraternal twins. They have rights too, despite not being creepily identical.

Though if there's more than one duplicate of Snake, then you no longer have evil twins, switching instead to evil triplets, or even quadruplets.
    But each individual pair are twins, right?

Liquid is Solid's evil twin.
    Solid is Solidus's good twin, etc.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-11-24 at 03:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #3576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    And, to no surprise to anyone (except the LiveJournal sycophants), we're going to see that Siggy was just as bad as Dear Old Dad.
    A winnar is you.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

7. - Top - End - #3577
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

You know, if you look at the dialogue alone, this strip are kind of good. But then again, what could make this strip awesome (all the past strips) ruined it. Really bad

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

8. - Top - End - #3578
    Orc in the Playground

I dunno.. This strip just seems to be a new low to me. Boring. Old news. Not really dramatic, nothing exciting. The Dialog is almost serviceable, but even then it's wooden and not really interesting. The most important plot point of the arc, and frankly, I'm going to forget what it is by the end of the day. He also didn't keep consistent with Where the vision was appearing. That's even more of a turn-off of his art then the disproportionate heads and arms and identical faces. When the scenes have no consistency, it's annoying. It's like the whole Jayden in spandex now thing (or at least I hope to god ). If you can't even have the art follow logically, then a canonical plot is well beyond your reach.

But what's new. We all pretty much figured this was how it was going to turn out. I don't really see how this changes anything for Milov or Jayden. But, I guess in the Mookie-verse, One fault paints you as irredeemably evil. I know Racism is not something good, should never be admired, but it doesn't Negate he was a knight, he fought to protect his lands and his people, all that... But I'm asking for some kind of moral consistency and grey area from Mookie, hah. Not going to happen. Might as well play KOTOR again. (fun game, btw, thanks for everyone jumping all over it and getting me curious ^^)

oh, and PS. Being the Evil Twin is awesome. (wonders if anyone can find his -Elan- in this thread. He is here. )
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

9. - Top - End - #3579
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I dunno.. This strip just seems to be a new low to me. Boring. Old news. Not really dramatic, nothing exciting. The Dialog is almost serviceable, but even then it's wooden and not really interesting. The most important plot point of the arc, and frankly, I'm going to forget what it is by the end of the day. He also didn't keep consistent with Where the vision was appearing. That's even more of a turn-off of his art then the disproportionate heads and arms and identical faces. When the scenes have no consistency, it's annoying. It's like the whole Jayden in spandex now thing (or at least I hope to god ). If you can't even have the art follow logically, then a canonical plot is well beyond your reach.

But what's new. We all pretty much figured this was how it was going to turn out. I don't really see how this changes anything for Milov or Jayden. But, I guess in the Mookie-verse, One fault paints you as irredeemably evil. I know Racism is not something good, should never be admired, but it doesn't Negate he was a knight, he fought to protect his lands and his people, all that... But I'm asking for some kind of moral consistency and grey area from Mookie, hah. Not going to happen. Might as well play KOTOR again. (fun game, btw, thanks for everyone jumping all over it and getting me curious ^^)

oh, and PS. Being the Evil Twin is awesome. (wonders if anyone can find his -Elan- in this thread. He is here. )
    I know. That scene was pretty much expected. I just liked how casually he talked and gave his gift to his father. The execution are poor, but the Idea was supposed to be good.
    Last edited by Arakune; 2007-11-24 at 11:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #3580
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

But what's new. We all pretty much figured this was how it was going to turn out.
    Except if you're a LiveJournal Sycophant. Edge of their seats, man, wondering what it all meant!

I don't really see how this changes anything for Milov or Jayden.
    [channelMookie]Jayden knew Siggy wasn't that good of a guy. She knew he liked to be the bully and use his position as a knight to take advantage of people. What she didn't know was that Siggy enjoyed killing innocent people and didn't think twice of killing children either! She'd have NEVER given him a second chance if she knew -that-!

And it lets Milov know that Siggy MEANT the vision he sent Milov - he'd kill all the werewolves, too, and is fully capable of doing so now, being a Hellbeast![/channelMookie]

But, I guess in the Mookie-verse, One fault paints you as irredeemably evil. I know Racism is not something good, should never be admired, but it doesn't Negate he was a knight, he fought to protect his lands and his people, all that...<snip>
    This was just an 'example' shot of how bad Siggy truly was. It wasn't just that he was a racist - it was that he killed innocents for the sheer pleasure of it and for the approbation of his father.

When we last saw Siggy's dad, his hair was entirely grey, even that ridiculous excuse for a moustache. In these 'past' shots, he's shown to have only two stripes of grey hair, while his moustache is still black. So, intimation - this is before he met Jayden and Milov - YEARS before.

Mookie's still a bad writer, though, I agree.

And from the actifforum board...

Grimzag: At any rate, that looks like one awesome birthday party. All the cool people came to hang out.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-11-24 at 08:52 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #3581
    Ettin in the Playground

Grimzag: At any rate, that looks like one awesome birthday party. All the cool people came to hang out.
    What I love about the scene is how casual Daddy is about the whole thing. It's like Siggy hand-built him a tie rack of something.

"Wow! You did this all by yourself?"
    "Well, Mom may have helped a little."
    "And it rotates! Son, I'm so proud of you."

It also looks obviously faked. Hail Lord Dominus!
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-24 at 09:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #3582
    Titan in the Playground

Well now, Mookie is a little more sophisticated than that. I mean, not all faults will eternally damn you to Fourth Caste status - after all, Rape and Murder/Bloodlust weren't sufficiently evil to damn Stonewater or Szark. But Racism? Against Orcs? Man, that's a one-way ticket to the Fourth Caste.

But you're right - this revelation was no big surprise. We've always known that Siegfried is a callous, brutal man, who was also racist. Most importantly, Siegfried has already established that Orcs don't count as people in his book, so it's no surprise that he would treat them like ornaments.

I think we can all count ourselves lucky that Young Siegfried only hung a bunch of Orcs for his father's birthday. After all, he could have made an Orc-Skin Tie, or a jaunty Orc Skull Cap.

No, the only reason this is "surprising" is because Siegfried's temporary "Third Caste" Aura (brought on by casual Spikeification) made Milov and Jayden suffer Amnesiac Dissonance, so that this vision will jolt them back to their regular Second Caste existence.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-11-24 at 10:17 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #3583
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This latest strip made me laugh. Hard and loud.

The words 'forced' and 'childishly simplistic' spring to mind.

To be fair though, I'm starting to think that maybe Siggy isn't that bad a guy after all. I mean, anyone that spent a portion of their youth hanging people from trees for their dad's birthday and doesn't end up being an actual 'foaming at the mouth' lunatic must have something going for him. I can't wait for the next strip. Siggy's mum boiling babies to make a cake? His uncle throwing bag upon bag of cats into a well for party games? Or maybe the whole family coming together to bludgeon children's feet into oblivion in order to decorate the living room?

Still though, it did help fill all of us idiots in on the fact that apparently Siggy and co. aren't the nicest of people ever. And in no way does it once again make us all wonder why the hell this blatant racist was well regarded before he died!

14. - Top - End - #3584
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Violence View Post
    Still though, it did help fill all of us idiots in on the fact that apparently Siggy and co. aren't the nicest of people ever. And in no way does it once again make us all wonder why the hell this blatant racist was well regarded before he died!
    He's from Callan. Try reading one of their newspapers, and you'll get why he was well regarded.

@V: Jacob Deegan.

15. - Top - End - #3585
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's like he doesn't understand the concept of "gray."
    a secret to everybody.

16. - Top - End - #3586
    Titan in the Playground

I admit the casual tone in which Siggy and his father talk, and calling a dead child "a nice touch", kinda got to me.

So I'll have to say, I think this particular strip was executed rather well.

Also, it provides an explanation for the short hair, and why he looks so very much like a black-haired Gregory - he is younger here.

Now for the bad part - if Siggy had genocidal tendencies to this extent, do you think Milov and Jayden would not have noticed? Of course, they didn't mind him beating up cripples with their walking sticks - but then, why should this vision touch them?

Although, in one respect, the comic follows the definition of atonement as set up by Lord Soon when Miko died - Siggy did try to step away from his violent, bullyish ways, yet he never considered he might be wrong about the orcs...

Still, this strip puts a character with both shades of black and white - at least he was trying - completely into the evil camp. Damnit, Mookie, can't you just for once step away from having everything in black and white? There are shades inbetween, you know?

I wonder about the source of this racism. The orcs are living completely apart of the Callanians, so why would any Callanian hate them so much? Throughout the medieval ages and later on, there were pogroms against the Jewish population in Europe - because they were there, and became the scapegoats for anything that went wrong. Nobody thought about trying to exterminate the, I don't know, Africans just for the sake of it. They were considered subhumans, yes, but since they were not there, nobody cared. So why would some Callanians hate the orcs so much?
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-24 at 12:29 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #3587
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I wonder about the source of this racism. The orcs are living completely apart of the Callanians, so why would any Callanian hate them so much? Throughout the medieval ages and later on, there were pogroms against the Jewish population in Europe - because they were there, and became the scapegoats for anything that went wrong. Nobody thought about trying to exterminate the, I don't know, Africans just for the sake of it. They were considered subhumans, yes, but since they were not there, nobody cared. So why would some Callanians hate the orcs so much?
    Well, the orcs were apparently living among the Callanians, as there's mention of the refugees on the border when the storms over Maltak started.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #3588
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I admit the casual tone in which Siggy and his father talk, and calling a dead child "a nice touch", kinda got to me.

So I'll have to say, I think this particular strip was executed rather well.

Also, it provides an explanation for the short hair, and why he looks so very much like a black-haired Gregory - he is younger here.

Now for the bad part - if Siggy had genocidal tendencies to this extent, do you think Milov and Jayden would not have noticed? Of course, they didn't mind him beating up cripples with their walking sticks - but then, why should this vision touch them?

Although, in one respect, the comic follows the definition of atonement as set up by Lord Soon when Miko died - Siggy did try to step away from his violent, bullyish ways, yet he never considered he might be wrong about the orcs...

Still, this strip puts a character with both shades of black and white - at least he was trying - completely into the evil camp. Damnit, Mookie, can't you just for once step away from having everything in black and white? There are shades inbetween, you know?

Stop trying to apply logic to his actions!

19. - Top - End - #3589
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Well, the orcs were apparently living among the Callanians, as there's mention of the refugees on the border when the storms over Maltak started.
    Ah, but all of this started before the War in Hell.

We lack an appropriate timeframe. Did Callan go to war and wreck Maltak with the infernomancers before or after Siggy was being taught by his Dad to hate and kill orcs?

Still - a lone teenage kid overpower an entire group of orcs and hang them all? Man, Siggy must have been a grandmaster swordsman by the time he discovered girls 'made him feel funny down there'.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

20. - Top - End - #3590
    Ettin in the Playground

We lack an appropriate timeframe. Did Callan go to war and wreck Maltak with the infernomancers before or after Siggy was being taught by his Dad to hate and kill orcs?

Still - a lone teenage kid overpower an entire group of orcs and hang them all? Man, Siggy must have been a grandmaster swordsman by the time he discovered girls 'made him feel funny down there'.
    His father was a warlord, he probably had at least a few evil minions. Or, at least minions who are obedient beyond the reach of their concience.

21. - Top - End - #3591
    Ogre in the Playground

y'know, i remember having high hopes for this arc when it started... man i think things started going down hill the moment that called in Dominic...

Agreed, that's what gets me the most about this... i mean, we knew he was racist and beating up orcs made his daddy proud, but going THIS far is really ridiculous... if he was that bad as a teen and never had any remorse for what he did, he would be just as bad if not worst today... not to emntion that siggy never did anything to hide his hate... it's like, how could Milov and Jayden considering themselves his best friend and not have any idea of something like this.

Actually, it can make sense... it true what you said about Europeans and africans, but there is a large Sea and a desert that seperates the two. there no where close to eachother

Orcs and Callanians on the other hand seem to live fairly close, with their two lands bordering eachother... close enough that the Callanians are constantly aware of the orc presence and the possibility of orcs and Callanains mixing in twons close to the border.

22. - Top - End - #3592
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe these events were taking place during the Orc Wars, and those orcs were war prisoners.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #3593
    Firbolg in the Playground

two thoughts on todays DD,

1. that was a child, mookie has such little skill with aging that he has 30 year old guys with BLOODY FACIAL HAIR look like 12 year olds, but a child that looks like a teenager

2. ol siggy's been there for most of the comic, and is supposedly one of the few "grey" characters, hell the only character, he just destroyed one of the few arguments in his favor.....

24. - Top - End - #3594

How daintily cute. It's touching to see the love between that father and his son.

Though he should have gotten one hanged orc per year, each with a little lighted candle atop their skull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #3595
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    How daintily cute. It's touching to see the love between that father and his son.

Though he should have gotten one hanged orc per year, each with a little lighted candle atop their skull.
    But...the sheer waste of it all! It would be horrific! Buying that many candles would just be throwing money away.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-24 at 02:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #3596

True. Instead, they could lit each orc on fire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #3597
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    True. Instead, they could lit each orc on fire!
    Well, as long as you can find some way to make matches out of orc skulls, I'm in!

28. - Top - End - #3598
    Orc in the Playground

How is this relevant to making them hate him other than just being a jerk? He was a kid when he did this, his father was a psycho who probably gave him the idea from his crazy ways. Using this against him, making them hate him is so irrelevant.

I mean, that would be like saying "Ok, we need to make them HATE Stonewater!" and showing the rape scene. Oops, totally unredeemable. How about Szark murdering people, oops totally unredeemable.

This is pure manipulation. There is no 'truth' here, just taking things completely out of context to try and elicit an emotional reaction. They already knew he was racist. They already knew he was violent. They already should have known that his father was a genocidal maniac, because it didn't appear as though he would have had any reason at all to hide it. It only stands to reason that Siggy, not being morally upright at all, would have participated in a similar thing as his father. But if they are going to hold that against him, they should take a look at Szark and Stonewater again.

I also love the complete and utter lack of knowledge as to how hanging works. But that's ok. It worked when they were just fake visions, but when it's supposed to represent an actual hanging you would think just a tad bit of realism would be added.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-11-24 at 02:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #3599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    But if they are going to hold that against him, they should take a look at Szark and Stonewater again.
    That's the Caste System in a nutshell for ya. A different standard being applied to different people because they are different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    I also love the complete and utter lack of knowledge as to how hanging works. But that's ok.
    What do you mean? Not enough snapped necks? Maybe he had the support removed from under them only slowly, so that they would have suffocated.
    Which would mean he's also sadistic as hell. Whoa, what a completely surprising and unexpected revelation!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-24 at 02:32 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #3600
    Dwarf in the Playground

Words cannot describe the incredible stupidity that this is.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.