New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Oh God. I didn't really notice it before, because God knows I don't usually look at the art anymore. But now, I saw it, and I can't... I can't unsee it!

Siegfried, he's... he's... wearing a thong! Why? Why is he wearing a thong? A leather thong? A huge, black leather thong?

...he's popping one, too! My eyes, my poor precious eyes!

Mookie, after "Worth. The. Wait", I didn't think you could do further damage to my sex life, but... hhhnnngaaaaahh!!

2. - Top - End - #3632
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    How could you, Siegfried! You never gave me anything nearly as nice for MY birthday party!
    I don't know, that was a bitching suit of armor.

3. - Top - End - #3633
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    I'm not so sure it's bad. If even Mookie's most ardent supporters are turning on him, perhaps Mookie will write even more laughable plots to attempt to curry their favor... ripe for the slaying!

But there are still a few of the 'I did NOT see this coming' and 'OMG, what a twist' folks around. We must hunt these people down and give them a brain transplant.
    I meant bad for Mookie. I'm always glad to see further enlightenment in people.

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Great. If everyone hates the story, that means he'll be the cool minority. Don't make Mookie cool, people!
    I'd figure he'd just become the next David Gonterman.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

4. - Top - End - #3634
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamiress View Post
    Inappropriate Ass Shot.
    Yeah, stock mookie stuff.

One of these days he's going to make my brain implode...
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

5. - Top - End - #3635
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Edit: and as for todays comic? The part that pissed me off most? The Little Demon Siggy going "Nyah-nyah-nayh" from the breastplate. I mean, come on now. *shakes head in disbelief*
    That looks more to me like Demon Siggy in pain. From, you, know, having a sharp object jabbed through his face

6. - Top - End - #3636
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    I meant bad for Mookie. I'm always glad to see further enlightenment in people.
    Why ... do you feel bad for Mookie! You should be HAPPY for him! He's doing NOTHING now to try to cover up his bad writing. He's THIS CLOSE to acknowledging it...

I'd figure he'd just become the next David Gonterman.
    ... baited breath, man.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

7. - Top - End - #3637
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's the casual nature of the mass slaughter that would paint him as a psychopath. And the problem here is that, if that's what her was... Then How Did Siggy and Jayden ever get together? How did Siggy not kill Milov in his sleep? HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE WHAT HE WAS? It's just too much a suspension of disbelief to tell us he managed to fool them, after he pulled **** like this as a kid, and was praised for it by his dad. He's a lord, he wasn't breaking the law, he would have no reason to learn to hide this side of him.
    To be fair, not all psychopaths go around randomly killing people. Indeed, the majority of diagnosed psychopaths go about their lives without ever once trying to kill someone. Despite their tendency towards poor impulse control, they've been raised to understand that there would be consequences for killing someone. They don't want to be put in jail or to go to hell.

It's possible that Siggy only engaged in violence when he felt it was "acceptable" by society to do so, either as part of his duties as a knight, or when it was against an acceptable target (orcs).

If Mookie were a better writer, I'd assume that's what it was. But it is Mookie, so we can be pretty sure that none of this makes sense.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

8. - Top - End - #3638
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not so sure it's bad. If even Mookie's most ardent supporters are turning on him, perhaps Mookie will write even more laughable plots to attempt to curry their favor... ripe for the slaying!
    Other options would include, however, that he either really starts trying (and I am not sure if losing the MST3King in this thread is worth gaining a new good comic, to say the least) or that he is so discouraged that he stops altogether...

But there are still a few of the 'I did NOT see this coming' and 'OMG, what a twist' folks around. We must hunt these people down and give them a brain transplant.
    But where will we find sheep dumb enough so that the transplant is not rejected as too different?

But yes, I can see your point. Stand alone, the strip has the desired effect. Once compiled in the regular continuity, on the other hand... it adds a new level of fail. Wow, Mookie has managed to make something good, and use it AGAINST his comic.
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Maybe he's more self-destructive then we know...
    At any rate, his complete lack of thinking through the consequences of what his characters do - both story- and ethicswise - is destructive for the comic.

Edit: and as for todays comic? The part that pissed me off most? The Little Demon Siggy going "Nyah-nyah-nayh" from the breastplate. I mean, come on now. *shakes head in disbelief*
    I think that's supposed to be a scream in pain?

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    How could you, Siegfried! You never gave me anything nearly as nice for MY birthday party!
    As always, you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamiress View Post
    Inappropriate Ass Shot.
    That's it, I'm adding that to the Encyclopedia Dominica. It's long overdue.

Why ... do you feel bad for Mookie! You should be HAPPY for him! He's doing NOTHING now to try to cover up his bad writing. He's THIS CLOSE to acknowledging it...
    Now come out of the closet, Mookie, noone will think worse of you. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Well, in fact, there is, but you will feel all the much better anyway. C'mon, why are you staying in that closet?

...maybe we need to send in R. Kelly...

EDIT: New Encyclopedia Dominica entry:
    Ass Shot, Inappropriate
    Is a myth, or maybe propaganda spread by vile Mookiemockers opposed to the just rule of Lord Dominus. There is, in fact, no situation which cannot be improved by showing the behind of a female character. Especially well suited are scenes when the character in question is either dying, traumatised, despaired or fighting her former friends. In short, drama and tragedy are enhanced by ass shots. The more you know!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-25 at 02:45 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #3639
    Orc in the Playground

But in either case, the person isn't casually thinking to himself "Evil is fun!", which is what I'm arguing against. People... don't think like that. Their minds twist their perception so they can accept it, not just straight up "I"m evil! wheee!" like we have here in DD.
    Yeah... I was thinking that myself when I wrote that. The 'high' that people get off of going along with mob-mentality/brainwashing usually isn't conductive to such a callous response. It's a pretty good indicator that Siggy knew exactly what he was doing and simply didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    If Mookie were a better writer, I'd assume that's what it was. But it is Mookie, so we can be pretty sure that none of this makes sense.
    I have a very hard time believing that Mookie would insert a character with a psychological problem like psychosis. First of all, it's too grounded in reality. Instead it would have to be some sort of magical psychosis so that it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

On top of that, knowing about psychosis requires research that, unless he has already done so in the past, I simply don't believe he wishes to engage in. The reason why fantasy draws so many 'hack' writers is because they feel that they don't actually have to know what they are writing about because they can just make it all up. Why use psychosis which he knows very little about when he can just make it something else, that way when people question why it doesn't make any sense he can just say that it isn't really X, it's Y (that just happens to look like X).

I also want to point out that I knew that this 'revelation' would be so dumb that it would blow everything out of the water, quite simply because Siggy was already such an evil person that whatever it was had to be something completely idiotic to top it all.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-11-25 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added the letter 'i'

10. - Top - End - #3640
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I meant that it sucks even for him.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2007-11-25 at 03:12 PM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

11. - Top - End - #3641
    Titan in the Playground

Watching this Arc wrap up is the definition of a literary train wreck. Every strip just exposes the reader to increasingly worse crimes against plot - Designated Heroes, Designated Villains, Amnesic Dissonance, Not As You Know Them, Ping Pong Naivete... the list goes on.

All that remains now is for Siegfried's past evils to get excused by implausible (possibly time traveling?) demonic possession... or Mookie expects us all to swallow Siegfried's Freudian Excuse.

Personally, I await the conclusion with a mixture of anticipation and revulsion. There is literally no emoticon for this sensation.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-11-25 at 06:32 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #3642
    Firbolg in the Playground

furious Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

one thought, i rarely justify mookie but,...they could be considered bugs, and he'd be an exterminator. im done justifying that

before the last two strips i actually had faith that there might maybe be hope for DD i mean Dominic was actually punished after barathis and acctually attacked, i find it ironic that the only female wearing decent clothes in this comic is Mookies imaginary girlfriend, she is also the only one without a goddamn pantyshot, all in due time i guess

13. - Top - End - #3643
    Ogre in the Playground

On the bright side, at least it's not single panel.

14. - Top - End - #3644
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    On the bright side, at least it's not single panel.
    But then we have 700% more ineffectiveness on mookie part.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

15. - Top - End - #3645

ElfRangerGuy

I haven't looked at the comic since Wednesday, and I came here first when I got back from Thanksgiving in Baltimore.

I find myself physically unable to go see the comic. I think I may be done with it.

16. - Top - End - #3646
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tekraen View Post
    I haven't looked at the comic since Wednesday, and I came here first when I got back from Thanksgiving in Baltimore.

I find myself physically unable to go see the comic. I think I may be done with it.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Every time a Snarker stops snarking, Mookie gets another fanboy.

How could you live with yourself?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #3647

Hi, guys. I don't really have time to read through the 3,000+ posts on this thread, so I don't really know where you're coming from in your hatred of DD. But I just read through all the archives yesterday and today, and I didn't find it that bad. In fact, I think I'll continue reading it.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

18. - Top - End - #3648

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

We don't hate it. If we hated it this thread would be much less fun.

Plus if we said we DID hate it, we'd all be shipped off to Aberghast Cathedral.

And also it keeps reminding me of some of my old nightmares.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2007-11-25 at 10:38 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

19. - Top - End - #3649

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    We don't hate it. If we hated it this thread would be much less fun.

Plus if we said we DID hate it, we'd all be shipped off to Aberghast Cathedral.

And also it keeps reminding me of some of my old nightmares.
    So you mock it because you like it?
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

20. - Top - End - #3650

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    one thought, i rarely justify mookie but,...they could be considered bugs, and he'd be an exterminator. im done justifying that
    Nobody's arguing that Siggy couldn't have thought he was justified in killing orcs. It's just that you don't see exterminators hanging dead vermin from trees as birthday gifts for their fathers. This is just an over-the-top, Rape the Dog moment of Character Assassination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #3651
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfreak497 View Post
    Hi, guys. I don't really have time to read through the 3,000+ posts on this thread, so I don't really know where you're coming from in your hatred of DD. But I just read through all the archives yesterday and today, and I didn't find it that bad. In fact, I think I'll continue reading it.
    Well, I could give a lengthy explaination relating why DD is bad.

Or I could just let this speak for me.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

22. - Top - End - #3652

Fine! Fine! That sucked. And the explanation was even worse. I actually would have been more satisfied if he had said, "it was all in Dominic's head, wooooooooooooooo!" Fine.

But, overall, I don't think it's that bad. And Greg, NOT Supergreg, is awesome.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #3653

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

There's a mile long stretch of DMZ between like and hate, boy.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

24. - Top - End - #3654
    Ogre in the Playground

That's quite common, actually. Reading DD in one sitting (like I did) doesn't allow enough time for the Unfortunate Implications to sink in. I suggest reading it again, this time more slowly.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

25. - Top - End - #3655
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    That's quite common, actually. Reading DD in one sitting (like I did) doesn't allow enough time for the Unfortunate Implications to sink in. I suggest reading it again, this time more slowly.
    You should check the LJ. There's an 'unfortunate implications' thread going about the significance of having supernatural beings you can see, touch and talk to. You know, how Good and Evil is defined in a world where you literally can see God, interact with Angels, communicate with and pledge yourself to Demon Lords...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

26. - Top - End - #3656

Zombie

But, overall, I don't think it's that bad. And Greg, NOT Supergreg, is awesome.
    Well for someone as powerful as him to have such an immature (to say the least) mindset I fully expect for him to have a bat**** insane rampage when something dislodges him from that mindset.

27. - Top - End - #3657
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Well for someone as powerful as him to have such an immature (to say the least) mindset I fully expect for him to have a bat**** insane rampage when something dislodges him from that mindset.
    It's really amusing that you should say that, seeing as how it was implied that Greg needed to be controlled, or it would lead to unfortunate consequences.

What Dominic didn't show was the rest of his vision where, after punching off the head of Snowsong, he went on a murderous rampage because he realized that there was nobody who could stand in his way.

28. - Top - End - #3658

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    But then we have 700% more ineffectiveness on mookie part.
    But the pain is the same, it doesn't depend on the number of panels but the number of updates.
    That's because you
    a.) Didn't start reading when it was tolerable and saw it continually go bad until Super-Greg.
    b.) Didn't have to put up with days of fillers and splash pages only to have the action totally go out of character after that.

DD is like a pile of broken promises. What it promises is actually good, the idea still is, it's just the execution being so poorly making us mock it.

Take for example the last arc. It wasn't that bad. Then you had Nimmel act out of his earlier character. Then you had Milov at first build up tension, keep it with fillers and splash pages and then come to a conclusion that simply doesn't make sense.
    Take for example this strip, which was mocked a lot when the next update came. The tension was good and surprisingly there was an update other than three fillers after that, but the following page just destroyed whatever tension there was.

29. - Top - End - #3659
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Nah, Dominic has Greg firmly under his control. Even better, he has it so Greg likes being under his control.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

30. - Top - End - #3660

So, apparently the Power of Hate is capable of exorcising demons? This is awesome for all the wrong reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.