New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #5461
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

So the best way to fight a power-stealing, magical virus is to strip down to purple underwear and fur-lined boots. Huh, so that's what I was doing wrong.

2. - Top - End - #5462
    Firbolg in the Playground

anyone else remember siggy's original goal, to find some swordsman and kill him, what happened there?

3. - Top - End - #5463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    anyone else remember siggy's original goal, to find some swordsman and kill him, what happened there?
    It was Scarlatti. That subplot was resolved here.

This was back when Siggy was moving up from LE to LN, and had an alignment conflict with CG Scarlatti. Siggy had some good lines there, but it was Retconned to being wholly irrelevant.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #5464
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    So the best way to fight a power-stealing, magical virus is to strip down to purple underwear and fur-lined boots. Huh, so that's what I was doing wrong.
    That's how they teach it at Harvard Med.

5. - Top - End - #5465
    Ogre in the Playground

Ummm.

What just happened? I can't work it out.

In other news... there it is again! That strange non-snout thing!

6. - Top - End - #5466
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Ummm.

After a week of nothing happening because Dominic wasn't around, finally the plot can continue.

7. - Top - End - #5467

Ummm.

It was still a bit snouty, though. Maybe it's just like the magic virus and Dom's body is fighting against it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #5468
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wizard did it.

Isn't it great we got a vomit joke. I mean, it wouldn't be right to have the gas and the urine joke by themselves. You got to have all three or it just doesn't work.

And I'd like to take time out to curse everyone in this thread. Curse you I say! I had given up DD for a bad comic, only to stumble upon this thread and thus have it elevated to the status of a train wreck from which I can not turn away.

Again, curse you all!!!

9. - Top - End - #5469
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    After a week of nothing happening because Dominic wasn't around, finally the plot can continue.
    All hail the anticlimactic resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It was still a bit snouty, though. Maybe it's just like the magic virus and Dom's body is fighting against it?
    An interesting hypothesis indeed.
    Perhaps this "nose" wasn't just an anatomic distortion, but a sign of Dominic's struggle, showing how weakened his mind was.
    The volatility of his facial features would then reflect how the fight between Dominic and the virus went back and forth.
    Well, this would lead to the assumtion that, if such mental upheaval results in sporadically occurring changes between a healthy snout and this dreadful "nose", the snout is much like a chakra, only that it covers all of the mind and is much more visible.
    Finally, if the center of the mind or an intermediary between body and mind resides in close proximity to the nose, we can, after all, verify the following thesis:

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Snout
    The horrible malformation of the nose/mouth-region, implanted into prisoners in Aberthast Cathedral and into any new-born child. It probably serves to improve the inhalation of the Deegandrug.
    But the snout probably doesn't only improve the power of the Deegandrug, it is the primary target. The Deegandrug doesn't chemically affect the mind through the brain, it cuts out the middle-man and goes directly for the psyche, probably via magic.
    (However, this would raise the question whether the snout is natural or this link between body and mind is magically engineered to cement the secret rule of the Deegan Dynasty.)

10. - Top - End - #5470

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Just when you thought things could get any more disgusting around here. Well if you're grossed out, then I've done my job again. Being really sick does very ugly and unromantic things to your body... and in Dominic's case, they happen all at once.
    I really wish I could enter Mookie's mindscape, blast him with his own "See the Truth" ray, and show him that he's not really doing anything particularly groundbreaking here, nor is he enlightening his readers about the horrors of being sick. Then I realize that I'm reading it wrong. Because it's in a blog, I register the tone as 'condescending' by default. This, however, is Mookie we're talking about. I reread it with the practiced, unnaturally measured tones of a mad scientist rambling into his voice journal about why what he does is ethically necessary, and it all became perfectly clear to me...
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #5471
    Titan in the Playground

I guess Mookie-D won't actually be affected by the virus, and we just wasted a week doing nothing.

Stupid Mookie... you could have done something with this set up. I'm beginning to agree that DD is actually Too Good For That Bastard.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #5472
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I think that Dominic had just seen yesterday's strip.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

13. - Top - End - #5473
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I really wish I could enter Mookie's mindscape, blast him with his own "See the Truth" ray, and show him that he's not really doing anything particularly groundbreaking here, nor is he enlightening his readers about the horrors of being sick. Then I realize that I'm reading it wrong. Because it's in a blog, I register the tone as 'condescending' by default. This, however, is Mookie we're talking about. I reread it with the practiced, unnaturally measured tones of a mad scientist rambling into his voice journal about why what he does is ethically necessary, and it all became perfectly clear to me...
    Thank you, Mookie, for enlightening me to the consequences of being sick. Truly, I am a better person after seeing Dominic emit various bodily fluids/gasses for no reason at all.

Though... he equated all the external effects of the virus as being 'what happens when you get sick.' Should I ask what sickness gives you an erection?

14. - Top - End - #5474

How did luna even get a hint of understanding from that gibberish? And what's so magic about that jar? Is it magical because it is in the deeganverse? Or, is it magical because mookie-D threw up in it?
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-02-04 at 12:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #5475
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    How did luna even get a hint of understanding from that gibberish? And what's so magic about that jar? Is it magical because it is in the deeganverse? Or, is it magical because mookie-D Threw up in it?
    It's probably magical because Luna conjured it up. Of course, it's a shame it isn't the Dungeons and Dragons version of the spell, in which you channel your own soul through a crystal into your foe's body, ripping their life force out and sealing it into the gem. It's kind of like reading Dominic Deegan, actually.

16. - Top - End - #5476
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

... he equated all the external effects of the virus as being 'what happens when you get sick.' Should I ask what sickness gives you an erection?
    The pseudo-medical term is 'rampant hormone syndrome'.

It's colloquially known as 'being a teenager'.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

17. - Top - End - #5477

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    It's probably magical because Luna conjured it up. Of course, it's a shame it isn't the Dungeons and Dragons version of the spell, in which you channel your own soul through a crystal into your foe's body, ripping their life force out and sealing it into the gem. It's kind of like reading Dominic Deegan, actually.
    *Looks at the strip again* Is that what that blur was? So, mages have the power to make things from thin air? They could probably make some led then convert it to gold with magic. Wonder why no one abuses this.........

18. - Top - End - #5478
    Titan in the Playground

Though... he equated all the external effects of the virus as being 'what happens when you get sick.' Should I ask what sickness gives you an erection?
    You really shouldn't ask questions that you don't want the answers to.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #5479
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The same reason people don't abuse it in D&D? Oh wait, they do.

There's probably some rules or physical restrictions on magic that could conjure or transmute precious metal or the like. (In D&D, it's usually XP costs, in addition to the limit on spells per day that may or may not exist in Deeganland). Now, if a mage wanted to open a ceramics shop, he'd be set on supply and beat out any non-mage competition, but it would take a considerable number of financially irresponsible mages to have a negative impact on the economy.

Alternatively, they don't because it's not in the plot, which is the case for most fantasy narratives.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

20. - Top - End - #5480

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    *Looks at the strip again* Is that what that blur was? So, mages have the power to make things from thin air? They could probably make some led then convert it to gold with magic. Wonder why no one abuses this.........
    Usually, the check and balance is that items created out of thin air return to thin air eventually. It takes more or less long depending on the game and the spellcaster's power, but permanent creation has a higher cost than temporary creation.

21. - Top - End - #5481

The same sickness Szark suffers. A death fetish. Szark, you poor, sick bastard...

----

I actually liked the "Magic Jar." It reminds me of the time I was in Hawaii and the pilot informed me of the "Aloha Courtesy Bag" to be used in emergencies. Euphemisms are so much fun.

Of course, I didn't actually consider the implications of mages creating objects from nothing. Normally I would, and then I'd hate Mookie for his illogical world, but in that case I just assumed that Dom & Luna actually kept a magical, glowing jar on hand for these situations. Then I just pictured flu season at the Deegan household: "Mommy, my tummy hurts! Magic jar! Magic jaaaaareugh!"

It actually makes more sense, if you think about it. Surely the Mookiverse has developed a Magic Jar that disintigrates whatever is put in it. Such an item would have obvious uses as a bedpan, chamberpot, or "Aloha Courtesy Bag." And you no longer have to hear the beating of that hideous heart under the floorboards...
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #5482

Is Luna deaf or is it possible to mishear "Jrr" as "bar?"

It doesn't even rhyme when it's pronounced like that and the B-sound and J-sound are pretty distinct anyways.

But I guess it was the only way to shoehorn in that delightful punchline.
    a secret to everybody.

23. - Top - End - #5483

She may have misheard it as "magic barf"...

Also, she's pretty stupid if she didn't understand Mookie-D was about a vomit.

24. - Top - End - #5484

Well, mookie is a horrid writer so we should put it next to illusions. Conjuration can have many dangerous consequences that no one will realize because they are unable to. Eh, Sometimes magic is just.....magic.

25. - Top - End - #5485
    Titan in the Playground

Did... did you all know that Mookie makes merch? Specifically T-Shirts?

For some reason, this knowledge chills my blood. Perhaps it's because I might run into a DD fanboy/girl someday, clearly identified with merch, and be faced with a terrible choice as to how to respond.

That said, it's a shame that his Lord Dominius shirt is out of stock

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #5486

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Did... did you all know that Mookie makes merch? Specifically T-Shirts?

For some reason, this knowledge chills my blood. Perhaps it's because I might run into a DD fanboy/girl someday, clearly identified with merch, and be faced with a terrible choice as to how to respond.
    I've seen somebody with a Megatokyo shirt.

The proper response is to avoid eye contact, and try not to breathe the air they exhale, as it is laden with undesirability.
    a secret to everybody.

27. - Top - End - #5487
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey, for $9.95, I'd buy a Death From Above T-shirt. It's out of stock, though, and the other ones suck.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-02-04 at 03:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #5488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    I've seen somebody with a Megatokyo shirt.

The proper response is to avoid eye contact, and try not to breathe the air they exhale, as it is laden with undesirability.
    Ouch.

I'd go cry about that, but it's not snowing right now... and I'm not female.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #5489
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    That said, it's a shame that his Lord Dominius shirt is out of stock
    Then again, what shirts he has offered seem to quickly hit the 'no restock' state.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

30. - Top - End - #5490
    Orc in the Playground

I have no experience with alcohol, but isn't it a bad idea to drink it just after vomiting? I would think that would just make things worse. Of course, I know that Dominic was just 'being funny' (har har, good one Dommy!).

Also, if the jar is temporary, she better get it out of the house before it completely negates the whole point of conjuring it in the first place.